Serenes Forest's Teehee Thread

MisterIceTeaPeach

5 minutes ago, lightcosmo said:

I guess after seeing what you could steal in Thracia the devs were like: "nah".

Well, Thaddy's steal is pretty good. It's not as insane as Thracia steal, but it's pretty amazing nonetheless.

• Replies 176k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Shrimpica

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

49 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Well, Thaddy's steal is pretty good. It's not as insane as Thracia steal, but it's pretty amazing nonetheless.

Sure, but isn't in Pahn's league of awesome, though.

Just now, lightcosmo said:

Sure, but isn't in Pahn's league of awesome, though.

I've never gotten much out of Thracia steal, to be honest. To be really broken, it requires rigging constitution levels on units with low con growths, and there's only one con scroll. I don't like RNG abusing levels like that, and there's almost no chance of them getting high con on their own, so I just incapacitate a few mages in chapter 6 by taking their tomes and then I never steal anything ever again. I get much more out of Thaddy, actually, even if he doesn't have as much potential to break the game.

4 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

I've never gotten much out of Thracia steal, to be honest. To be really broken, it requires rigging constitution levels on units with low con growths, and there's only one con scroll. I don't like RNG abusing levels like that, and there's almost no chance of them getting high con on their own, so I just incapacitate a few mages in chapter 6 by taking their tomes and then I never steal anything ever again. I get much more out of Thaddy, actually, even if he doesn't have as much potential to break the game.

I've never had any issues, and later on they give you a con ring for more build for stealing fun.

I just saw someone recommending Trails in the Sky in the comment section of a Disco Elysium video because the worldbuilding of DE was praised.

Goddamnit, is there anywhere I can go to run from this franchise...?

1 minute ago, lightcosmo said:

I've never had any issues, and later on they give you a con ring for more build for stealing fun.

If I play Thracia again, I'll give Lifis a proper shot. Though it will be a while until I feel like going through Thracia again, the lategame being what it is.

1 minute ago, Saint Rubenio said:

If I play Thracia again, I'll give Lifis a proper shot. Though it will be a while until I feel like going through Thracia again, the lategame being what it is.

Who the hell fields Lifis!? XD

7 minutes ago, lightcosmo said:

Who the hell fields Lifis!? XD

Lifis has way more levels and availability to grow con on the same (horseshit) growth as Pan, 10% (20% with the scroll), in exchange for exactly 1 less base con. Technically 2, but he gains 1 con from promoting. For the purpose of putting steal to use, he's better than Pan.

...Honestly, I still don't see how you're supposed to do it without RNG abusing con levels. You need con in the high 10s in order for steal to become something truly remarkable. Either you rig or you go home, there's no other way with such craptastic growths. As for the body ring, it arrives way too late. Xavier's map is one of the last maps before the game becomes Warpskip Emblem. Steal has no opportunities to be of any real use in the lategame, just like... really, anything that isn't the warp staff.

Edited by Saint Rubenio

Your unit crits a 23 damage attack

32 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

I just saw someone recommending Trails in the Sky in the comment section of a Disco Elysium video because the worldbuilding of DE was praised.

The trails keep coming after you, there's no escape.

22 minutes ago, lightcosmo said:

Still... Lifis!? He's just a scumbag, nothing else. XD

I mean, Pan's not a great guy either.

Not Lifis tier, but still.

55 minutes ago, lightcosmo said:

Still... Lifis!? He's just a scumbag, nothing else. XD

Pan kidnapped a little girl.

28 minutes ago, Dayni said:

The trails keep coming after you, there's no escape.

I must be leaving quite the trail if it can chase me so far.

https://www.gematsu.com/2021/11/famitsu-sales-11-8-21-11-14-21

Been waiting for this, was curious about how well Shin Megami Tensei V is doing. Sales are... good? Disappointing? Commentators are sending mixed messages. Less than Nocturne and IV were physically sold at least in Japan. This, despite what appeared to me to be a decent effort at marketing. Still, it will be enough to keep the franchise afloat. SMTIV sold 600k globally, so SMT even on the best of days is no million-seller, understandable, given it's not the friendliest of JRPGs.

7 hours ago, Benice said:

Because, for some reason, if you do a random sequence of spells in this spot*, it just sends you to the final area of the game, meaning that you can just bypass the entire second half of the game, cutting the amount of mandatory bosses from 15 to 6.

That's one weird glitch. But then, it's possible to glitchrun right from right after the first boss to the final boss in Ocarina of Time, so Dark Souls is keeping video game traditions alive.

16 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

you should try setting up the commonly-said-to-be best N64 emulator, Mupen64. When I went into the menu, I was presented with a bunch of options for graphics that weren't explained at all, and changing them up yielded different results each time. At one point I somehow managed to make Mario's pupils bleed into the middle of his face and blend together. It was horrible, and all so that my pal and I could play Mario Party 2 and 3.

I'm responding to this now b/c I forgot that I want to emulate the original Custom Robo at some point, which is an N64 title. This does not bode well for that. (Ironic that I'd forget about CR, given my current avi.)

3 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Damn you, Acacia...!

It's in no way his fault. This is an instance of convergent evolution, so to speak.

I remember flipping through issues of Nintendo Power magazine as a child, and there were advertisements for these right there.:

220px-Super_Robot_Taisen_-_Original_Gene61BPH3KS1ML._SX342_.jpg

The reviews in said magazine were like a 6.5 for both games, and the still images weren't exactly lookers (Rai in the Schutzwald using Twin Beam Cannon I remember being one of images used in the first review, the second game's advertisement had an image of the Wildwurger using Beetle Crusher). But being a child unconcerned about money, I asked and got them anyhow. A lot of fun was had then, back in 2006-7, although I remember struggling with OG1 initially, before I became good at blowing everything up. SRPGs that defined my childhood right alongside Fire Emblem, Final Fantasy Tactics Advance, and the purer strategy of Advance Wars. The days of innocence long past.

When a power outage hit my house for like a week sometime like... 10 years ago? I recall digging up my original GBA b/c batteries meant no need to charge it. Rather than play Sacred Stones for the umpteenth time, I instead resumed old NG+ runs of the OG games, and found joy in them once again. Were it not for the costs of a hypothetical localization likely exceeding the revenues brought in by a hypothetical release aboard, I would've lovingly played the PS2 enhanced port/remake bundle years ago on the native hardware.

Nah, it's okay. I totally get it. I hope you enjoy it!

Thanks!🙂 And worry not, you won't be Ward's age by the time I get to BS.

2 hours ago, lightcosmo said:

Yeah, i tried PS3 as well and got nothing, and PS4 just works since it's compatible with Steam at base. If you already have one, i'd reccommend just using that, much easier.

The PS3 came one generation too early for universal compatibility I guess. Although it's weird, because it worked mostly fine with OpenEmu. Proof that emulation on Mac is superior when possible.

Well, fortunately I don't need a real controller right away. No game in the immediate lineup should demand it, I hope. Depends on how Xenosaga will be without it. Maybe I'll need to spring for a cheap but solid 3rd party controller workhorse. Would need to do some research for what would meet that criteria though.

And that's Devil May Cry 5.

Review soon.

1 hour ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Dread it. Run from it. Trails still arrives.

6 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Depends on how Xenosaga will be without it.

I promise you you won't really need a proper controller for Xenosaga.

Edited by Armagon

*Overhears someone talking on the phone right in the room next to me*

...I now reside in a COVID household.

Fortunately everyone has been fully vaccinated, and it's not like I leave the house very often already. Quarantine is my life, I literally just spent five days alone shut inside save for the companionship of my dogs.

45 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Depends on how Xenosaga will be without it

If anything, aligning yourself to touch an enemy symbol from behind might be difficult. Although that doesnt apply to the first game I believe, so no worries there. 

Edited by lightcosmo

Devil May Cry 5 review

Oh man, Devil May Cry 5 is a banger game and it lets you know this right from the start. The opening cutscene features Nero cutting down demons in style while "Devil Trigger" plays in the background and it did such a good job of showing me what i'm in for. This is my first DMC game and the game did a damn good first impression for the series. It helps that this game fully embraces all the dumb shit that happens and treats it in such a cool manner. Every character had great chemistry with each other and it was enhanced by the amazing performances of the voice actors. As far as the presentation goes, it's pretty perfect.

On the side of gameplay, i love how similar yet how different both Nero and Dante feel. It's hard for me to say exactly which one i liked playing as more, both have their own little quirks that make them standout. Like i guess if you held a gun to my head and asked me to chose, i'd say Nero because he has the grapple and everybody knows that putting a grapple in your action game automatically makes it good. On the flip side, Dante has more weapons to play around with and combined with his different Styles, you can do some pretty sweet combos. That said, i mainly used Trickster because of the funny dash. Yeah, i can't decide, both characters are fun to play as.

Meanwhile, V is probably the weakest part of the entire game. Both on the gameplay side and on the character side. Gameplay-wise, i generally don't like playing "summon" characters which is very much what V is. Any mission where i was forced to play as V, i kinda just wanted to get it over with. His character didn't really do much for me either. Thankfully, you do play as him the least. I'll also say that i think the game could've been a bit, just a bit, longer. Missions 17-20 just go by pretty fast and while i wouldn't say the game ended abruptly (especially since the final battle is very hype), it does feel like there should've been a bit more. But you know, i can't really complain to much here. Devil May Cry 5 is very based and i definitely want to play the older games in the future.

8/10 (would be a 9 if i could just never play as V tbh).

Update time: https://www.backloggd.com/u/Armagon/list/ranking-every-game-i-played-in-2021/

Edited by Armagon

7 hours ago, Dayni said:

Was this in the original as well?

I believe so, but it was only discovered about a year ago.

5 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

How does that even happen lol...?

Essentially, whenever you return to a bonfire by warping, the game does so based on your coordinates. There is also a system in place that has a default coordinate in each level which you'll be transported to if you manage to make it lose track of you. The last area of the game is connected to a big wall which requires beating a bunch of bosses to get to, but the area's default coordinate happens to be well behind the wall.

...Or something like that.

1 hour ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

That's one weird glitch. But then, it's possible to glitchrun right from right after the first boss to the final boss in Ocarina of Time, so Dark Souls is keeping video game traditions alive.

True.

So uh

Why in the world is this bop hiding in this game?

Not complaining, I'm just wondering. It's so different from the rest of the game's music.

Y6k1zy6b o

Anyway, that's it. This time, that's it. I think.

Again, really fun game. What a shame it's not more popular, it's one of the most original Mario 2D platformers. I know it's not that high of a bar, but still. Great little game hiding there, and the plus worlds give it a more than reasonable length--

Nlantymx o

Wait.

There's even more!?

Okay I actually knew about this already, it's a set of 12 levels that are unlocked for getting gold stars in the regular levels, but still. This game has a surprising amount of content.

55 minutes ago, lightcosmo said:

That's fine

Oh dear

56 minutes ago, lightcosmo said:

but what Lifis does? Inhumane. Xd

You mean, being a pathetic little shit that can't do anything right? Trying to kidnap a cleric girl but being strongarmed by his own hired sword out of doing anything to her? Having his entire gang decimated and be deemed too inoffensive to be killed alongside them? Trying to flirt with said cleric girl but instead letting himself be manipulated into joining the war effort? Sitting on his ass in a cell? Whining that Pan was mean to him when they were kids? Which is the "inhumane" part?

51 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

I'm responding to this now b/c I forgot that I want to emulate the original Custom Robo at some point, which is an N64 title. This does not bode well for that. (Ironic that I'd forget about CR, given my current avi.)

N64 emulation is... bad. Project64 is ancient and becomes more controversial the higher the version number (at one point there even was malware packed with the emulator, or so I hear), and Mupen64, while supposedly good, is a headache and a half to set up.

52 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

It's in no way his fault. This is an instance of convergent evolution, so to speak.

Damn you, convergent evolution...!

52 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

I remember flipping through issues of Nintendo Power magazine as a child, and there were advertisements for these right there.:

220px-Super_Robot_Taisen_-_Original_Gene61BPH3KS1ML._SX342_.jpg

The reviews in said magazine were like a 6.5 for both games, and the still images weren't exactly lookers (Rai in the Schutzwald using Twin Beam Cannon I remember being one of images used in the first review, the second game's advertisement had an image of the Wildwurger using Beetle Crusher). But being a child unconcerned about money, I asked and got them anyhow. A lot of fun was had then, back in 2006-7, although I remember struggling with OG1 initially, before I became good at blowing everything up. SRPGs that defined my childhood right alongside Fire Emblem, Final Fantasy Tactics Advance, and the purer strategy of Advance Wars. The days of innocence long past.

When a power outage hit my house for like a week sometime like... 10 years ago? I recall digging up my original GBA b/c batteries meant no need to charge it. Rather than play Sacred Stones for the umpteenth time, I instead resumed old NG+ runs of the OG games, and found joy in them once again. Were it not for the costs of a hypothetical localization likely exceeding the revenues brought in by a hypothetical release aboard, I would've lovingly played the PS2 enhanced port/remake bundle years ago on the native hardware.

That's a pretty cute story. I can totally get wanting to have a trip down memory lane. Here, let me throw another nostalgia story at you. I know you didn't ask.

Back when I was a kid and my mom pirated all games, we had this blank disk with "Indiana Jones" written on it. It was Indiana Jones and the Emperor's Tomb, a sort of Tomb Raider clone staring the famous archeologist that randomly featured the godliest fist fighting system ever. I played the game so much that the disk was rendered unusable. I loved that game so much. I even memorized a good few glitches that you could do.

That was that, until many years later, I just randomly discovered that the game was on Steam. I didn't even wait for a sale like a proper PC gamer. I grabbed it right then and there. Steam says I've played 119 hours of it, but that's probably not even half of it, counting all the time I must've poured into it as a kid.

So yeah, tl;dr: I get it. But still, damn you Acacia.

56 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

you won't be Ward's age by the time I get to BS.

I mean, I'm pretty sure Ward's only in like, his late 40s tops. Which might as well be a decomposed fossil by anime standards, but the man's still not quite past his prime. As evidenced by his Endgame Readiness.

50 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Dread it. Run from it. Trails still arrives.

I can run, but I can never hide. One day I will have to give it another shot.

32 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Fortunately everyone has been fully vaccinated, and it's not like I leave the house very often already. Quarantine is my life, I literally just spent five days alone shut inside save for the companionship of my dogs.

Oh, dear. I hope nothing too bad happens.

Just now, Benice said:

Essentially, whenever you return to a bonfire by warping, the game does so based on your coordinates. There is also a system in place that has a default coordinate in each level which you'll be transported to if you manage to make it lose track of you. The last area of the game is connected to a big wall which requires beating a bunch of bosses to get to, but the area's default coordinate happens to be well behind the wall.

...Or something like that.

But... what does the spell spamming have to do with that lol?

1 minute ago, Saint Rubenio said:

But... what does the spell spamming have to do with that lol?

Well, the Homeward spell normally sends you to the last bonfire, (which has to be Firelink Shrine, or the glitch will send you to a different safety coordinate) but the combination of casting it with the wrong type of spellcasting tool and swapping it with one that can be cast, (fireball, in this case) and doing so while falling and then resting at a bonfire causes the game to lose your location. The spell then takes effect and transports you to the Shrine area, but not into the right spot.

I'm at an unfortunate stage in my Fates playthroughs where I am getting stuck at what I want to do (getting a capture killed right before climbing the wall in Conquest or someone dying in my attempt to get enemies to not kill me in the Arthur paralogue in Rev)

53 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

I hope this passes uneventfully.

15 minutes ago, Armagon said:

But you know, i can't really complain to much here. Devil May Cry 5 is very based and i definitely want to play the older games in the future.

Of them, 1 definitely feels it's ~20 years being the first in the series, 2 is it's own mess and 3 and 4 are well worth the look for sure.

(And do you include "DMC: Devil May Cry about his look" in this?)

Edited by Dayni

Olivier: I'm not stuck with you, Ruben. No, you're stuck with me.

ezgif-4-a8d06e0896fb.gif

Kumagera missed a 98%.

What the fuck.

At least I could dance him and he got 100% accuracy that way.

In related topics, how do people recommend assaulting the first bunch of enemies when you climb up onto the wall in Possessed?

(Stupid Hoshidan wall engineering with all these entranceways we can easily climb up, no siege understanding)

Edited by Dayni

3 minutes ago, Dayni said:

Kumagera missed a 98%.

What the fuck.

At least I could dance him and he got 100% accuracy that way.

In related topics, how do people recommend assaulting the first bunch of enemies when you climb up onto the wall in Possessed?

(Stupid Hoshidan wall engineering with all these entranceways we can easily climb up, no siege understanding)

dammit kumagera

Hard or Lunatic? I have everyone around the four stairs on Hard and pretty much swarm in at once. Every time I've done that, I've cleared all the enemies on that Player Phase in time to combat Oboro and her lackeys the following Player Phase. On my recent Lunatic run (using the Birthright characters), I had Hinata choke the point where the ballista is, then on the following Player Phase I had everyone retreat back down. This causes the enemies to go back to their starting positions.