• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Shrimpica

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

12 minutes ago, Father Shrimpas said:

What i usually do is make Corrin a Robin...

as in make Corrin a Grandmaster kek

It has somehow wormed it's way in my playstyle to usually make Corrin a Grandmaster. It's just a class that fits ''lord MC'' so much lol

...Is Grandmaster a class in Fates?

5 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Mine was particularly aptly put.

The first part is the same, at least.

Who knew sperm cells could inherent battle skills...

Anywho, I just witnessed a beautifully large flock of birds fly over my house and into my trees. This is a true sign of good things to come.

33 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Hey @Sooks when you continue FE12. Remember to use Malice. Malice is cool. I don't think I've pushed this particular unit on you yet! Also Frost, please use Frost and join the Frost fan club, there's like two of us, pleeeeaaaasseeeeeee

I've actually yet to use either Malice or Frost. My reason for not using Malice is that my brother already unlocked her supports, so I'm better off getting others first. I'd love to join the frost fan club though. He looks pretty cool for an old guy. I only haven't used him yet because I'm almost certain that someone is going to recommend him when I do my FE12 pmu soon, like maybe 2 weeks after I finish the ironman. I wonder who would like Frost enough though.

I'm sure Sooks would do real well with them though. Good luck with that.

17 minutes ago, GuardianSing said:

Corrin on the other hand is pretty empty so I probably will customize them to my hearts content. Plus it'll be a fun way to differentiate playthroughs!

Its fum to make some real silly Corrin. I'm very lazy with creativity, so I often just name them after a different FE character...or just soneone like Todd Howard. That's kinda funny. 

8 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

thus being Navarre but she joins a bit later and is not a hateable trope.

Hateable trope? How can you say that when it inspired Kelik? 

Honestly, I don't know why I oddly like the trope. I dont respect it. I just think its simultaneously goofy while also occasionally cool. Shiva was awesome for me in Thracia. Classic edgy hair always gets me

8 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Frost is the kindest grandpa in all of Archanea. He's a super nice dude who chases down an army so he can thank them for indirectly saving his family, who can't even fight well but joins the army anyway because he genuinely wants to help out and who claims he only gained his power because of his love for his family

Huh...I thought you just liked him for his looks and the fact that he was literally the least popular character in the series based off some voting thing in heroes several years back (I don't play heroes so I dont really know the specifics).

This is gonna be another Tomas for me, isn't it?

Edited by Shaky Jones

BFhix0q.png

Ü

2 minutes ago, GuardianSing said:

...Is Grandmaster a class in Fates?

yes

You can get it through the before awakening free dlc.

I usually choose a talent i wanna pick the lvl 10 class from, then go Grandmaster

12 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Ahahahahahahahahahah.... Oh, fuck.

What?

4 minutes ago, Shaky Jones said:

Sooks just needs to find the motivation to continue FE12.

4 minutes ago, Father Shrimpas said:

BFhix0q.png

Ü

Odin doing damage? Impossible.

Anyone know of a good way to more or less dissect a system file? After having a discussion with someone over the working of a specific file I got curious to take a look myself.

4 minutes ago, Shaky Jones said:

Its fum to make some real silly Corrin. I'm very lazy with creativity, so I often just name them after a different FE character...or just soneone like Todd Howard. That's kinda funny. 

I don't remember when or how it went but I once created a Corrin with green hair and closed eyes which honestly fit with his personality. Really shined on that "Naive and dumb" trait.

5 minutes ago, Father Shrimpas said:

BFhix0q.png

Ü

You named Odin's weapon his sword from Awakening.

I applaud that.

6 minutes ago, Father Shrimpas said:

I usually choose a talent i wanna pick the lvl 10 class from, then go Grandmaster

Oh right! I haven't tried that DLC yet.

That's cool though! I gotta check that out.

22 minutes ago, Shaky Jones said:

I've actually yet to use either Malice or Frost. My reason for not using Malice is that my brother already unlocked her supports, so I'm better off getting others first.

Understandable.

I'd love to join the frost fan club though. He looks pretty cool for an old guy.

The man runs like two laps around the continent just so he can say thanks to Marth for what he did in chapters 2 and 3. How amazing is that?

I only haven't used him yet because I'm almost certain that someone is going to recommend him when I do my FE12 pmu soon, like maybe 2 weeks after I finish the ironman. I wonder who would like Frost enough though.

It's certainly a mystery.

A new mystery.

If he goes for it. I don't have the best of luck forcing his picks.

15 minutes ago, Sooks said:

What?

Nevermind. I couldn't come up with a better response.

Sooks just needs to find the motivation to continue FE12.

Use Frost Sooks.

Hateable trope? How can you say that when it inspired Kelik? 

Kelik is a Navarre with character development though.

Honestly, I don't know why I oddly like the trope. I dont respect it. I just think its simultaneously goofy while also occasionally cool. Shiva was awesome for me in Thracia. Classic edgy hair always gets me

To be honest, I don't even remember why I hate them. It's a meme at this point.

Huh...I thought you just liked him for his looks and the fact that he was literally the least popular character in the series based off some voting thing in heroes several years back (I don't play heroes so I dont really know the specifics).

Well, no. As a matter of fact, I already liked him way before it was cool he was the last unit in CyL. In fact, I was so peeved by that, that the next year I actively participated solely so I could give him votes and keep him from the bottom. Though I do have to say, it's pretty cool to know one of my long time favs is considered the worst by the same poll that the likes of Camilla consistently wins.

This is gonna be another Tomas for me, isn't it?

Heh... I mean, if you wnat to make him so, you'll hear no complaints from me!

12 minutes ago, GuardianSing said:

don't remember when or how it went but I once created a Corrin with green hair and closed eyes which honestly fit with his personality. Really shined on that "Naive and dumb" trait.

My first Corn had a permanent "durr" face, cabbage hair and was called Kabbãge.

She was also hilariously bad and actively harmed my first run. Good times.

Edited by Saint Rubenio

1 minute ago, Father Shrimpas said:

Odin Emblem isn't real, it can't hurt you

Odin Emblem:

m9F8g05.png

Yes, he did all the work alone on this map. Gained 5 levels so far, and all of them had STR Ü

It's his enemies' blood that aches now.

6 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

If he goes for it. I don't have the best of luck forcing his picks.

I benched Marisha, was using Jubelo and was gonna deploy Arran until that A support! Those are all things you wanted me to do, right?

8 minutes ago, Sooks said:

I benched Marisha, was using Jubelo and was gonna deploy Arran until that A support! Those are all things you wanted me to do, right?

Actually... Yeah, completely true lol. Well then, I have a list of picks for you--

Naahh honestly, just get thta A support with Arran and I'm satisfied. This game has so many characters, I wouldn't want to pretend to choose your team for you. Arran's support chain deserves to be seen, though.

...if you want mere, innocent suggestions, though... Malice and Frost are great, Arlen is funny and trashtalks the avatar, Tomas, Yumina has a good support with Yubello, Belf and Leiden have unmatched fashion sense, Sheema is a female general that's so rad, Roshea is a super heartwarming character, Cord and Warren would make the skeleton happy, Samuel is hilarious, oh can't forget Tomas forgettable as he is, Frey's design is great, Etzel is legit awesome as a unit...

3 hours ago, Dayni said:

It's a good suggestion that isn't Black Cat set (the equivalent of Black Planets from the original) or Four Seasons builds like I've been using so far (Four Seasons are the pins talking about seasons from Gatto Nero, they all heal with light attacks and it stacks when you have all four)

While I like being free to mix & match, I did find the four pin sets (CAT, Art of War, Black Planet, Eden) a cool idea, even if Eden was impractical. The idea had an allure of awesomeness to it.

3 hours ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Certainly, an OG inspiring another OG, haha.

'Course they aren't identical. One subtle difference I picked up on recently is gambling, Reiji outright says he doesn't like long odds, the polar opposite of Kyosuke. 

It's a shame the two haven't had a chance to meet yet, understandable though. If only Gilliam could teach Kyo the art of henshin-ing a mobile suit, or Mr. Arisu get himself a ~21 meter machine with the eclectic arsenal of a katana, wakizashi, magnum, and shotgun. I think I know of a mech engineer who built something similarly massively melee and stuffed.

3 hours ago, Armagon said:

Is it really more interactive tho? Most of it is just pressing the D-pad in a direction plus circle. I was able to get through just fine with keyboard.

For me, it's interactive enough with the combo timing and all. Could I possibly learn? Yes, but I used a controller through Exceed, and I can be patient on this game. Sorry if you're secretly burning up inside waiting for me to get to Xenosaga.

3 hours ago, Armagon said:

Yeah that was an issue for me too. You could tell this fan-translation is rather ancient and the game's niche status means it never really got updated.

I take it the translation for Exceed fares better.

It was finished at the end of 2019, well over a decade since the primordial "juvenile" era of fan translations began. And having played it to completion myself, I saw no major issues, some untranslated save point script and like one or two switches in the entire game was the worst of it. The font was perfectly legible.

As for the wording, some of the phrasing is different from the first EF. But, I'm not sure whether to attribute that to...:

• Fundamental changes in the script between the two games.
  • Or, if it's actually Official Translation vs. Fan Translation interpretive differences.

Exceed's script did feel a little more openly "anime" so to speak, like it wasn't being tweaked for a Western audience. Which would make sense, if you consider only an anime junkie would go looking to emulate such a niche game in English. The first EF never says "tsundere", Exceed uses the phrase without explanation, as if assuming you're inherently otaku enough to know what that means. 

As for names, they clipped the "o" out of "Formido Heim", but pretty much entirely otherwise avoided the doublespeak, triplespeak, decaspeak of Fire Emblem translations prior to Awakening and Heroes giving officials labels for almost everyone. Haken is Haken, not Haken, Hacken, Hakuen, Hacuine. 

3 hours ago, Jingle Jangle said:

Story is a bit underbaked with characters and beats coming and going before I got a chance to truly meet.

I haven't gotten the game yet, but I'm not entirely surprised. IV Apocalypse was rather insufferable with its more blatantly anime & incongruous-to-SMT cast, but at the same time, mainline SMT has struggled to avoid flat characters, sacrificing too much at the alter of coldness, bleakness, and alignments.

I'll enjoy it nonetheless, I've made my peace with that fault in SMT. Not to say I wouldn't like it corrected.

1 hour ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Fairly certain I've seen Armagon and Observer talking about SMT at some point.

I'm the only one here who qualifies as an SMT fan. Having played to varying extents.:

• Shin Megami Tensei (actually "Megami Ibunroku" in Japanese): Devil Survivor
  • SMT: Devil Survivor 2
  • Shin Megami Tensei 1 
  • Shin Megami Tensei III: Nocturne
  • Shin Megami Tensei IV
  • Shin Megami Tensei IV: Apocalypse
  • Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey (never finished, though I should've)
  • Shin Megami Devil Summoner: Soul Hackers
  • Digital Devil Saga 1 & 2 (two games, one continuous story)
  • Devil Summoner: Raidou Kuzunoha vs. The Soulless Army (never finished, watched a bunch of the sequel online)

Armagon has never touched one, mostly b/c it's too dark for them. The closest he has come is Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE. Although if curious, I have made suggestions to him about how to gradually ease in based on my own experience.

I can't say I would recommend SMT to you in particular. Wouldn't catch your interest, especially the starting point I suggested to Armagon- Devil Survivor 2. You would be heaving it up not too far into that game.

2 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Cord and Warren would make the skeleton happy,

Aye. Cord is chad tier. Warren is nice too. After all, I hear that availability is the best stat, and they both are available in chapter 2. Heck, Cord's available on chapter 2 in SD too. I want more Cord fans. 

Warren's downside is that his speed is somewhat unremarkable and he has horrible luck, but he has really good strength. OHKO's wyverns with a slightly forged bow or a silver. Of course, I much prefer Cord. Bord's also nice in this game. Actually has a speed growth now.

I also really like Darros, but he's kind of hard to use on maniac without stat boosters or a lot of blessed levels.

Feel free to take any of Ruben's other suggestions though. All the suggestions are based, and his picks have more interesting supports. Or you could ignore it and dump every stat booster on Wendell for his hat. That works too.

I mean, if something is gonna be broken it beeds to either be

A: be earned by the player. Hard work deserves reward.

B: an endgame surprise. This is fine, if its for the ending portion, its whatever at that point.

C) aftergame content. This allows for some serious domination after you get that far.

Edited by lightcosmo

1 minute ago, lightcosmo said:

Well, as I said, Richard was broken, and basing Rean off him wasn't too Bright (ha)

Chosen one, strongest style, based over cool character, Nippon steel Katana, black hair, OP crafts, character worship to make Corn jealous, 12 girl Harem (or was it 13), etc.

You can't scream more self insert than that

1 minute ago, lightcosmo said:

be earned by the player

Modern Falcom and making player work for something pffffffffffft

3 minutes ago, Shaky Jones said:

Aye. Cord is chad tier. Warren is nice too. After all, I hear that availability is the best stat, and they both are available in chapter 2. Heck, Cord's available on chapter 2 in SD too. I want more Cord fans. 

I have used Cord before. He's fine. Plus, I like his face.

Warren's downside is that his speed is somewhat unremarkable and he has horrible luck, but he has really good strength. OHKO's wyverns with a slightly forged bow or a silver. Of course, I much prefer Cord. Bord's also nice in this game. Actually has a speed growth now.

I used Bord once and he turned out completely broken somehow. I'm talking capped stats here. It was quite something.

I also really like Darros, but he's kind of hard to use on maniac without stat boosters or a lot of blessed levels.

Actually, I've heard Darros is a pretty solid prepromote. Good bases and stuff. Though I've never used him - maybe one of these days I should do a run exclusively of units I've never used.

Feel free to take any of Ruben's other suggestions though. All the suggestions are based, and his picks have more interesting supports.

Ayy

Or you could ignore it and dump every stat booster on Wendell for his hat. That works too.

I've not done this before.

I probably should. That man's hat deserves it.

2 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Actually, I've heard Darros is a pretty solid prepromote. Good bases and stuff. Though I've never used him - maybe one of these days I should do a run exclusively of units I've never used

Oh his base stats are nothing to laugh at. Definitely much better than most free silver people later on. Also Darros is cool. I mainly mean that its hard to have him reach near capped stats for endgame if you want him full time. You'd need plenty of good levels to cap. I mean, ya gotta have those greens for serotonin.

9 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

I probably should. That man's hat deserves it.

I used him for most of my lunatic reverse run. Honestly, he's pretty helpful. I guess many would just use etzel instead, but Wendell at least doesn't require a difficult recruitment situation and is forced for chapter 10 if you want the other mage. 

11 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

I used Bord once and he turned out completely broken somehow. I'm talking capped stats here. It was quite something

I got that for Caesar. Like, cap hp and defense too. Radd was alright. I remember Bord being good for me too, but I really just get blessed for Cord. Mainly in SD, but I never get bad Cords in New Mystery.

unHZVXw.jpg

48 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Roshea is a super heartwarming character,

Lol

Samuel is hilarious

I don’t know why he exists.

Frey's design is great

Huh, you think so? I always found it extremely boring.

16 minutes ago, Sooks said:

Got to begin the Faux/Impersonator Navarre archetype. That said... I think it's only him and Shannam that compose that one.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

34 minutes ago, Shaky Jones said:

Oh his base stats are nothing to laugh at. Definitely much better than most free silver people later on. Also Darros is cool. I mainly mean that its hard to have him reach near capped stats for endgame if you want him full time. You'd need plenty of good levels to cap. I mean, ya gotta have those greens for serotonin.

Hahahaha... Good point.

I used him for most of my lunatic reverse run. Honestly, he's pretty helpful. I guess many would just use etzel instead, but Wendell at least doesn't require a difficult recruitment situation and is forced for chapter 10 if you want the other mage. 

He's pretty much a worse Etzel with extra availability and an easier recruitment. Fashion-wise, he has the godly hat, but Etzel has a monocle.

I got that for Caesar. Like, cap hp and defense too. Radd was alright. I remember Bord being good for me too, but I really just get blessed for Cord. Mainly in SD, but I never get bad Cords in New Mystery.

Caesar and Radd. Another two I've never used. With New Mystery's massive cast, it's to be expected I'm missing some folls even after all these years.

23 minutes ago, Sooks said:

unHZVXw.jpg

I mean this is Vtubers pretty much

Lol

What? It's true!

To be funny.

Middle aged cavaliers aren't so common, usually it's either young or ancient. Plus, I like the white armor, it's cool.

4 hours ago, Father Shrimpas said:

I already did full deployment before in one of my runs

Never wanna do it again, it's a fucking pain in the ass

Meanwhile it's the perfect time for me to have my army be in pairup most of the time so full deployment is kinda default.

3 hours ago, GuardianSing said:

Two systems I've been looking after anyway so this is just another motivation to get 'em!

Although you said something about fan translations meaning they're probably Japanese exclusive games, huh?

Alright, step 2: Learn to speak fluent Japanese.

To be fair, Aethin did good work on Tearring and Berwick for translations, but getting them on the hardware could be a different matter.

Both consoles are region locked so you'd have to have that dealt with, but that is doable with modding the hardware. Though that could be irrelevant if you burned discs with the games, you'd still have to have it modded to work with them anyway I suspect.

I think Berwick's size is still within size limits for DVDs (~4.7 Gb) so that definitely should burn fine and I think it's similar for Tearring but I'm less certain there (the disk sizes would be ~700Mb).

All this of course ignores going for emulation.

3 hours ago, indigoasis said:

I don't think I've ever posted here before, but I'll chip in to that sword thing.

From what I can tell, there aren't any beast-slaying swords because they have dragon-effectiveness locked to swords (and tomes with the Dragon Spirit, but that's literally the only weapon). It sounds stupid the way I put that reasoning, but that's all I can think of.

Yeah, I get the idea. If Wyverns were like Tellius they'd shoot up in relevance that's for sure. I don't really get to see much use as the sword users who I'd have fighting them would tend to do enough without it.

1 hour ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

While I like being free to mix & match, I did find the four pin sets (CAT, Art of War, Black Planet, Eden) a cool idea, even if Eden was impractical. The idea had an allure of awesomeness to it.

There's a couple of other pin sets that form ensembles, but none of the others require more than three pins. Some are a bit more strange to read (There's an ensemble for a pair of pins that heal and block attacks for instance).

27 minutes ago, Sooks said:

It's code for having facial hair in FE.

Frey is still more interesting than much of his cast because of the danger he gets put through and how that affects his perspective.

Edited by Dayni

nCNbSpV.jpg

Actually, Ruben will heavily relate to Mayuri.

7 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

What? It's true!

Ridges and Vyland are just the most boring units in Shadow Dragon, that’s all.

Middle aged cavaliers aren't so common, usually it's either young or ancient. Plus, I like the white armor, it's cool.

Yeah, but it’s the same basic cavalier armor all of them have, just in a different color. 

Edited by Sooks