Serenes Forest's Teehee Thread

MisterIceTeaPeach

Just now, Acacia Sgt said:

Just in case, Seiyuu is the term for Japanese Voice Actors... I'm pretty sure that's what SeEiyuu means anyway.

Ah, I see.

1 minute ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Rule 63 is basically: Everything has a Genderbent version.

Thank you for enlightening me!

Wait, isn't rule 63 Twilight just a harem fantasy novel, then?

• Replies 176k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Shrimpica

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

3 minutes ago, Benice said:

Bingo, though there are at least a few people who'd try to deliver the lines with accents.

I expect to hear a lot of this, especially since it's in our second language.

There's also gonna be a lot of people pronouncing the -ent of ils/elles verbs, which will make even a low-tier french speaker like myself cringe.

... with accents. Lemme guess, in a typical France accent? Though the overusage of slang could be an issue there. Eh, nah. They won't make you read THAT bad of a quebecer thing... I hope. And it seems to have been released a while ago. I don't think slang shock galore was all that popular back then. Though I may be mistaken.

Oof. Ouch. Then again, I can't really blame them that much. French can be quite excessive with its writing. -eault should absolutely not be a thing. (for anyone curious, that's pronounced "o"). One funny thing is that one big boulevard back in Montreal is called René-Levesque. Imagine how non-french speakers try to pronounce that. At least it's not Reneault-Lévesque. That would cause aneurisms. 

I'm just now comprehending the hellish landscape you're about to step into. Not only will you have to read a piece most likely boring enough to make Bingo look exciting, but it'll be at a snail's pace with terrible pronunciation and the energy of a sleep-deprived sloth.

Is your teacher the artsy kind or just a sadist?

12 minutes ago, Benice said:

Wait, isn't rule 63 Twilight just a harem fantasy novel, then?

From Wikipedia:

Life and Death: Twilight Reimagined is a young adult vampire-romance novel by Stephenie Meyer. The story is a gender-swapped retelling of the first book in the Twilight series, and introduces Beau Swan and Edythe Cullen in place of Bella and Edward.

The genderswap turned Twilight into a funny romcom. Some of the scenes are unintentionally hilarious, like when the 1,90m protagonist takes a piggyback ride with the 1,60m vampire.
In this gender bended version there is:

- No stupid love triangle

- No teenage pregnancy

- No marriage at 18

- No strange magical baby

- No Bella whining for 3 books to make her a vampire

- No ideal ending without consequences for main character

So yeah, it's not great, but Life and Death is hundred times better than the whole Twilight series in my opinion.
Edited by Awakened_06_

5 minutes ago, Lorneus said:

with accents.

Heck, that's my band brain talking. I meant to say emotion, but it came out wrong.

6 minutes ago, Lorneus said:

Imagine how non-french speakers try to pronounce that.

That reminds me of how my parents went to Ontario once, (I think it was Windsor) and they kept hearing about a street called "Peary".

...It's not Peary street, it's "Pierre" street. Oof.

8 minutes ago, Lorneus said:

. -eault should absolutely not be a thing.

I feel like -eault isn't too horrid, since, at least to me, it'd be pronounced about the same in English. Yeah, something like Reneault would become "Renald" or "Renold", but it's the same idea. -ent is a bit harder for blind reading, since it's pronounced in words that have it, but not ils/elles verbs.

11 minutes ago, Lorneus said:

I'm just now comprehending the hellish landscape you're about to step into. Not only will you have to read a piece most likely boring enough to make Bingo look exciting, but it'll be at a snail's pace with terrible pronunciation and the energy of a sleep-deprived sloth.

I can't wait until we meet the character whose name is... Uh... Black [slang term for breast]. The class is gonna lose its mind, I think.

12 minutes ago, Lorneus said:

Is your teacher the artsy kind or just a sadist?

I'm leaning towards sadist, but that could easily be the curriculum forcing her to make us read it. Monte-Cristo was pretty good, even if our version was a little too abridged for its own good at times.

13 minutes ago, Awakened_06_ said:

Life and Death: Twilight Reimagined is a young adult vampire-romance novel by Stephenie Meyer. The story is a gender-swapped retelling of the first book in the Twilight series, and introduces Beau Swan and Edythe Cullen in place of Bella and Edward.

OH JEEZ, IT'S OFFICIAL?!

Zoinks...

14 minutes ago, Awakened_06_ said:

Oh, and it has a different ending than the novel, one with actual consequences.

I've never actually read the books, I only know of their infamy.

4 minutes ago, Benice said:

That reminds me of how my parents went to Ontario once, (I think it was Windsor) and they kept hearing about a street called "Peary".

...It's not Peary street, it's "Pierre" street. Oof.

I... can kinda see it, though I don't know how they got the y sound if it was pronounced. And it could be very misleading if there happened to be a Perry street XD

6 minutes ago, Benice said:

I feel like -eault isn't too horrid, since, at least to me, it'd be pronounced about the same in English. Yeah, something like Reneault would become "Renald" or "Renold", but it's the same idea. -ent is a bit harder for blind reading, since it's pronounced in words that have it, but not ils/elles verbs.

Well, I'm pretty sure the English terms with that ending would come from French. This spelling should not exist at all, as it makes absolutely no sense XD But yeah, the silent -ent is a real threat to unexperienced eyes. At some point I think we should do like Japanese people and invent a method to show how to pronounce a word above the actual word XD Though I guess at least there's less to remember on readability scale in French.

9 minutes ago, Benice said:

I can't wait until we meet the character whose name is... Uh... Black [slang term for breast]. The class is gonna lose its mind, I think.

Read the character and plot synopsis to find it. Yeah, I can see that going a little haywire, especially if the role has to be given to someone. And what's funny is that another way to write it would be Ti-noir (and more common nowadays) so that whole debacle could've been avoided. Though I guess at least you'll have one interesting bit to look forward to now. Reading the plot synopsis, it sounds like everything that's not included in it will be quite filler. And by the gods, those names...

I'm leaning towards sadist, but that could easily be the curriculum forcing her to make us read it. Monte-Cristo was pretty good, even if our version was a little too abridged for its own good at times.

Oh right, I forgot about curriculums. I'm too used to CEGEP teachers building their own classes with their frivolities and preferences. You could feel their personality through the course. THough there was certainly some details they needed to give. It might be tighter for secondary languages too, now that I think about it.

12 minutes ago, AnonymousSpeed said:

Alright boys, we droppin'.

Can I go dark with it?

OH JEEZ, IT'S OFFICIAL?!

It is. Watch out, someday a girl might want you to read it...

Template | Agni Face / LIVE | Know Your Meme

3 minutes ago, Lorneus said:

And by the gods, those names...

My favorite protagonist, Chives. I can't wait until the author releases Zone II, starring Ail, Citron Vert and their mutual love interest, Singe.

Reading the plot synopsis, it sounds like everything that's not included in it will be quite filler.

Yay...

Well, I'm pretty sure the English terms with that ending would come from French. This spelling should not exist at all, as it makes absolutely no sense XD

Okay, true.

Still better than -ough in english, though.

I... can kinda see it, though I don't know how they got the y sound if it was pronounced.

Yeah, that's beyond me.

7 minutes ago, Lorneus said:

But yeah, the silent -ent is a real threat to unexperienced eyes. At some point I think we should do like Japanese people and invent a method to show how to pronounce a word above the actual word XD Though I guess at least there's less to remember on readability scale in French.

The funny part is that it's not even a particularly taxing rule to remember, (I have a harder time with COD/COI, at least) but we still seem to good it up fairly often over here. Perhaps we'll do better than anticipated. It'll at least go better than the reading in my Sciences Humaines class.

11 minutes ago, Lorneus said:

Oh right, I forgot about curriculums. I'm too used to CEGEP teachers building their own classes with their frivolities and preferences. You could feel their personality through the course.

That's kind of cool, though I could see that going awry.

12 minutes ago, Lorneus said:

THough there was certainly some details they needed to give. It might be tighter for secondary languages too, now that I think about it.

Alas, curriculum's pretty strict here in BC. And the French one's not very good either, given that I'm pretty sure I shouldn't just be learning Conditionnel tenses and Subjunctive tenses eleven years in. We've not done much but learning verbs, but we're not good at that either.

I should cut the system some slack since not many people speak French here and it's hard to learn languages without being able to apply them, but if people from Europe can know several languages passably well, surely we could too...

15 minutes ago, Awakened_06_ said:

It is. Watch out, someday a girl might want you to read it...

Template | Agni Face / LIVE | Know Your Meme

That would be inconvenient.

42 minutes ago, AnonymousSpeed said:

Alright boys, we droppin'.

Cool, that other one was pretty fun. Someone else just make sure to respond and then I will, don’t want a repeat of the last attempt at starting a new one.

27 minutes ago, Awakened_06_ said:
Can I go dark with it?

Yes 06. If it gets you to do the honors.

Screenshot_6343.png

If you know, you know.

Screenshot_6344.png

This will come into play later.

Screenshot_6347.png

Fight to the death you say?

*fights him*

Screenshot_6350.png

Screenshot_6351.png

Screenshot_6353.png

Screenshot_6354.png

Screenshot_6355.png

"Fight to the death unless i lose in which case you have to spare me".

Oh yeah btw, during the battle

Screenshot_6345.png

Yes.

And in the boss fight following that, i paused because i had to do something real quick and when i came back, i found out i paused on a perfect frame

Screenshot_6356.png

@Shrimpresident can add this to his witchy reaction folders.

Screenshot_6357.png

It's so funny seeing an image of Shibuya just show up in this game.

Anyways

Screenshot_6358.png

MOMO IS HERE!

I'll enjoy it while it lasts, this is the like the last time Xenosaga crosses over with more than just KOS-MOS and T-elos.

Screenshot_6360.png

True, MOMO's Episode III design is very cute indeed.

Screenshot_6362.png

Screenshot_6363.png

Screenshot_6364.png

I like how they poke fun at the fact that MOMO is like the most modestly dressed girl in the game.

See this is a meta joke tho cause like

latest.png?width=768&height=432

MOMO is the only character in Episode III whose swimsuit attire doesn't show belly.

I mean neither does Jin but he's more just dressed casually here.

Screenshot_6366.png

She absolutely has a closet full of maid costumes.

2 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

No point in not splurging all your money at the very end on those MAX Cookies and other expensive consumable goodies.

I already did lol.

1 hour ago, Shrimpresident said:

DnYUCP9.png

Ah, a true advocate of gender equality.

43 minutes ago, Armagon said:

I'll enjoy it while it lasts, this is the like the last time Xenosaga crosses over with more than just KOS-MOS and T-elos.

Plus, it keeps KOS-MOS from spending more adventures with Reiji & Xiaomu than any XS character. MOMO's NxC and Exceed appearances are enough to keep parity at 5 for 5.

And to speak of KOS-MOS for just one moment. I did like that when it came to catching her up on what's happened, Aschen transmitted all the information to her as opposed to the usual spiel. I'm not saying one can forget they're androids, but it was a neat android-y move. One of the benefits of being a robot, near-instantaneous reception and digestion of large quantities of new information.

Screenshot_6360.png

True, MOMO's Episode III design is very cute indeed.

It has a certain "Parisian" look to it. Elegant and restrained, made cute with her uplifting smile, without the cuteness being overpoweringly suffocatingly kawaii.

Screenshot_6364.png

I like how they poke fun at the fact that MOMO is like the most modestly dressed girl in the game.

Other than this introductory scene though, they don't drag MOMO into the usual funny lowbrow mud that proliferates through the game. Not that I can recall. She was a weird choice to bring to the Endless Frontier judging from how she behaves, she seems too pure for this dimension. (Not that being pure presumably gets in the way of her spending three whole games massacring whatever the threats to the world are in XS, such is the video game conundrum.) Though I do appreciate it that they kept her out of the filth, as awkward-fitting as that makes her seem in a way. MOMO was a breath of fresh air.

Screenshot_6356.png

@Shrimpresident can add this to his witchy reaction folders.

When I went looking for an lp to refresh my recollections with, I noticed one of the thumbnails was practically this very same frame. Funny coincidence.😆

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

On 1/9/2022 at 6:10 PM, Benice said:

If Julizan 1 perishes in the Nuzlocke, I shall name another Electric Pokemon after you.

👍

I started to play "Digimon: Cyber Sleuth".

This is basically my introduction into Digimon / Pokémon (if I exclude "Touhou Puppet Dancer Performance"). Unlike Pokémon the (dis-)advantages of affinities and attacks are explained very well. I am not sure, if I will enjoy this game since I am not in this monsters grinding stuff. However Digimon feel to have more personality than Pokémon for me for being able to speak human's language. Also the soundtrack is more appealing than Pokémon, but I should not expect less from a Namco game.

1 hour ago, Benice said:

My favorite protagonist, Chives. I can't wait until the author releases Zone II, starring Ail, Citron Vert and their mutual love interest, Singe.

XD This killed me.

1 hour ago, Benice said:

Still better than -ough in english, though.

Goodness gracious... to think eault and ough are pronounced almost identically.

1 hour ago, Benice said:

The funny part is that it's not even a particularly taxing rule to remember, (I have a harder time with COD/COI, at least) but we still seem to good it up fairly often over here. Perhaps we'll do better than anticipated. It'll at least go better than the reading in my Sciences Humaines class.

Eh, true enough, it only applies to verbs, but that's what makes it bonkers too. Yeah, COD and COI is also one of the parts that confuses many people when French is their mother tongue, so don't be too harsh on yourself for that one XD Wait... you had a French reading in Social Sciences? Why did they make you read a text in another language out loud in a class not meant to teach you another language?

Now I'm thinking back on this philosophy teacher that gave us a text that came from English and was translated in French... by Google translate. He asked me and another guy if we could proofread it and correct the errors. It was so atrocious.

Concrete behaviour > Comportement béton

That was the main subject of the article. You can imagine the trainwreck.

Though one of my fondest google translate moments (aside from Google Translate Sings) will always be when my best friend tried to translate instructions to create a mini trebuchet. In it you had to use a coffee can. The instructions listed one of the needed materials as "le café peut". He spent so much time trying to figure out what the coffee could do. Simply Glorious.

1 hour ago, Benice said:

That's kind of cool, though I could see that going awry.

Yeah, well, just depends on your teacher basically. I had one teacher who was able to give me a certain amount of interest in some pieces of Quebec literature, so I'll give it to that system. I would've never batted another eye were it not for her.

1 hour ago, Benice said:

Alas, curriculum's pretty strict here in BC. And the French one's not very good either, given that I'm pretty sure I shouldn't just be learning Conditionnel tenses and Subjunctive tenses eleven years in. We've not done much but learning verbs, but we're not good at that either.

Reminds me of sixth grade when I was about as good as the teacher in English... that was a fun one. I can't really speak for much of our curriculum as I was in the advanced English class for all of highschool and college. I do know basic English for Cegep was... oof, from certain friends' accounts.

1 hour ago, Benice said:

I should cut the system some slack since not many people speak French here and it's hard to learn languages without being able to apply them, but if people from Europe can know several languages passably well, surely we could too...

Well, there's that, and French and English have very different rulings, plus French is bonkers, writing-wise. And you could feasibly use the other languages in your daily life with how connected certain countries are in Europe (anyways, from the accounts of my Brother living in Paris, but he's someone who really likes to travel, so it might be biased). Will you really use French that often in BC?

Though, Rough, Through, cough, drought, bought...

Man, I'm so glad I never had to learn English as a second language, it'd be a nightmare.

Wait... you had a French reading in Social Sciences? Why did they make you read a text in another language out loud in a class not meant to teach you another language?

It's a french immersion program, so in addition to a more advanced French class, you also have to take Math, Careers or Social Studies in French, or you don't graduate as officially bilingual.

Which is a tad unfortunate, because with the way the scheduling worked, I now have to take Careers at 7:15 in the morning twice a week starting February.

8 minutes ago, Lorneus said:

Concrete behaviour > Comportement béton

Wow.

9 minutes ago, Lorneus said:

The instructions listed one of the needed materials as "le café peut". He spent so much time trying to figure out what the coffee could do. Simply Glorious.

LMAO

I guess it makes sense that it prioritizes the verb over a cannister, but still, that's so funny.

10 minutes ago, Lorneus said:

Reminds me of sixth grade when I was about as good as the teacher in English... that was a fun one.

Dang, you're really next-level with languages, huh?

10 minutes ago, Lorneus said:

Yeah, COD and COI is also one of the parts that confuses many people when French is their mother tongue, so don't be too harsh on yourself for that one XD

I think there's another one, right? CC or something? I guess we'll cover that one in grade 12.

13 minutes ago, Lorneus said:

Will you really use French that often in BC?

Logically speaking, I don't think so. I don't imagine many French Canadians who are monolingual* would come all the way west to BC, and I don't think many Europeans are monolingual. I don't know for certain since I've not been employed before the pandemic: I work at a grocery store and I've met a couple of non-English speakers, but I don't know what language it was either of them spoke.

*I also don't know how much English is taught to y'all over there, but a couple of French-Canadian chaps have come in, and all of them are fairly fluid in English

I do use French at that store because there's a regular customer who was a linguistics professor and he speaks to me in French every time, but in practicality, it's more for if I ever want a Federal job or to go to Quebec or Europe. Or parts of Africa, I suppose.

5 hours ago, Awakened_06_ said:

From Wikipedia:

The genderswap turned Twilight into a funny romcom. Some of the scenes are unintentionally hilarious, like when the 1,90m protagonist takes a piggyback ride with the 1,60m vampire.
In this gender bended version there is:

- No stupid love triangle

- No teenage pregnancy

- No marriage at 18

- No strange magical baby

- No Bella whining for 3 books to make her a vampire

- No ideal ending without consequences for main character

So yeah, it's not great, but Life and Death is hundred times better than the whole Twilight series in my opinion.

How have I never heard of this?

(Also, as a bad person who actually read a good deal of the series, I actually skipped partway though the second to the last and did not suffer for comprehension. It's impressive how unneeded the middle two books were)

Does it count as "still a better love story than Twilight" if it's official R63 of it?

3 hours ago, Lorneus said:

Sacré Bleu!

8 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

iuxGms7uJpsUsKtKyhAMk8-970-80.jpg

Behold a bed made specifically for gaming. Just ignore all the awkward reaching backwards to grab your blue bottle of lotion you'll have to do. And the egregarious back pains that come from having nothing to rest you spine against. All you need is a bathroom and minifridge, and you're set for life.

Looks like a really bad bed too honestly.

8 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Although, it feels wrong to insinuate combat makes things less niche. I know fighting is a turnoff for some gamers (despite so many game involving fighting), but I can't tell whether it's a net gain or not. If being part ARPG means RF has the potential to be bigger than Story of Seasons or not.

In a space where more games with less or no conflict can get noticed maybe before long that insinuation will be less prominent.