• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Shrimpica

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

7 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

I will say, that's pretty nice that they change the scenes accordingly if you win the unwinnable battle. Also, hopefully avoid her becoming a damsel in distress to be heroically rescued by her tragic edgelord husbando

Well, technically

Spoiler

Estelle gets saved by her tragic edgelord husbando either way, but how much she needs saving depends on how you do in the battle.

5 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

But that just pales in comparison to Trails. This series is like, 1000 hours total! It's the One Piece of videogames! I'm kinda afraid I'll end up digging it if I were to try it again and then I'll have to commit hundreds of bucks and hours to the rest of it.

Personally I consider this to be a good thing, in my case (even though One Piece's length is why I can never get into it). Maybe because Trails feels more like a series of novels than one very long storyline, so the idea of 1000 hours worth of content is exciting rather than something worthy of dread. I have nothing better to do with my time anyway.

Also, I hear the first two games have a largely complete story on their own, so you don't have to get into the whole series if you don't want to.

2 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Most people in this thread that has played it says it's literally the single greatest piece of fiction that mankind has ever produced ever in all of its history.

No, that's Xenoblade Chronicles 2, which you also refuse to play.

1 hour ago, Sooks said:

The play is the weakest part of the game though, who on Earth would say that? 

People with good taste, clearly. Or have you forgotten Princess Joshua? Estelle and Kloe don't look bad in their knight outfits either.

8 minutes ago, lightcosmo said:

Haha, that was actually clever!

Why are you so surprised?

Just now, WraithReborn said:

I…what…do you even know what your asking of me Benice?

To enjoy something?

7 minutes ago, Lightchao42 said:

Frick, I forgot I've also got to finish that one.

I really need to stop taking breaks from games halfway through 'em...

I even started the break at the best part, when best boy joins the party...

Just now, WraithReborn said:

You’re asking me to give up a pillar of my existence, to play a video game series?

Ye!

18 minutes ago, Lightchao42 said:

Personally I consider this to be a good thing, in my case (even though One Piece's length is why I can never get into it). Maybe because Trails feels more like a series of novels than one very long storyline, so the idea of 1000 hours worth of content is exciting rather than something worthy of dread. I have nothing better to do with my time anyway.

Also, I hear the first two games have a largely complete story on their own, so you don't have to get into the whole series if you don't want to.

Hm... I see.

18 minutes ago, Lightchao42 said:

JRPG, and on Switch so no sale ever? Eh...

13 minutes ago, WraithReborn said:

You might as well ask me for a pound of my flesh as well while you’re at it Benice.

Also, if I take out your eye, then you have no excuse not to play Yakuza 0!

16 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

JRPG, and on Switch so no sale ever? Eh...

It's pretty good, in my opinion. I don't know if you could get over the anime™ designs, but the gameplay's unique enough that it's worth a shot. Even if there are some things I'm really not that fond of in X2 pertaining to both gameplay and story, I think it's worth playing just for the visuals, world and music. You might actually like it.

...Do keep in mind I'm 1/3 for good game suggestions so far, though.

Edited by Benice

So remember how I horrified a friend with forbidden knowledge of Fates's shenanigans?

He's got his revenge. He told me there's a game in Steam called Sex with Hitler.

I wouldn't recommend looking it up.

7 minutes ago, Benice said:

the gameplay's unique enough

Oh?

9 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Oh?

I can't really explain it well because my JRPG brain is tiny (seriously, 90% of the thread could explain it better than me) but it's kind of a blend between an ARPG and a JRPG with lots of interactive elements; you certainly don't just press attack. A major aspect of it is using different team setups that can do different things and trigger different combos, and there's lots of experimentation you can do. Furthermore, the difficulty's completely customizable, so you can make it as hard as you want.

I admit that I don't remember any battle themes beyond the default one, but the overworld themes are out of this world. It almost makes getting lost in every single level enjoyable. Finally, even though the game is Switch-exclusive and the graphics certainly show it, it's still probably the most beautiful game I've played, or it's certainly up there- the art direction for the world is brilliant.

Edited by Benice

9 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

So remember how I horrified a friend with forbidden knowledge of Fates's shenanigans?

He's got his revenge. He told me there's a game in Steam called Sex with Hitler.

I wouldn't recommend looking it up.

Too late, they already did:

On 1/22/2022 at 5:11 PM, Armagon said:

unknown.png

Steam really just allows anything on their storefront huh.

I would've assumed it be common sense that this gets nuked off Steam but i guess not.

1 minute ago, WraithReborn said:

Is there no end to the folly of youth?

You should find out by playing Yakuza 0, so you can criticize the actions of the playables!

Man, there's still a week to go before term ends. I want to be free again...

3 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Eh. That's a lot of investment for a game that I gave 10 whole hours of opportunity for. Steam allows two hours to refund, I gave it five times that amount of time to get me hooked and it failed miserably.

Maybe I should just accept that the game isn't for me. But I'd like to at least give it another whirl, first. Most people in this thread that has played it says it's literally the single greatest piece of fiction that mankind has ever produced ever in all of its history. Surely it has to be doing something right that I just didn't see in my ten hours?

Actually, I read in a couple of places the very catchy slogan, "play until the play." Trails experts, how fair is that proposition?

Ruben, it looks like the song is known to Katy Perry at this point. You ask if it's worth continuing to play and then they tell you to give it another chance. But then you say "but I don't want to waste you so much time playing this" and then others answer "so it's not worth it for you". But then you say “Oh, but everyone talks well!” Come on, make up your mind!

But answering your question with my most sincere opinion: no, it's not worth it. Trails is literally the JRPG equivalent of One Piece, an extremely long work, with no end in sight and that faithfully follows shounen tropes, but with good worldbuilding. If you're not interested in that, you won't find any fun in games. Don't expect the series to respect your time: you can finish FC thinking it's going to start advancing now, thanks to the cliffhanger, but the first half of SC is the same pace as the first ones in FC, except that it's worse because you know there are bigger things behind the scenes but the game refuses to get straight to the point, making you waste time with some of the worst villains I've ever seen in a JRPG (with one exception, Walter is based) in a shitty monster-of-the-week formula which makes Stardust Crusaders (Jojo part 3) look good.

From what I've read on the internet, the games are made up of 50% padding and 50% kino, so I continued on to find the diamonds at the end of the mine, but when I got to all I found was... copper. That was just my experience of course, and the second half of the game is genuinely good (at least chapters 6, 8 and the finale), but a lot of the payoffs that happened in the second half of the game fell flat, for a variety of reasons, but the main one was for lack of screentime to adequately detail the relationship of some characters with the villains.

On the gameplay side: Sky wasn't designed with multiple difficulties in mind, resulting in stat scaling in higher difficulties that makes the game, well, difficult. Enemies are faster than you, they have high defense and HP that make crafts and physical attacks light, and consequently make you need to abuse arts, etc. Many fights in the hardest difficulty cannot be cheesed. The most effective tactics simply give you a chance to win, because any other non-cheesy strategy guarantees defeat. There are also several fights that you can lose more than 10 times in a row despite perfect strategy/decision making simply due to RNG's antics. If you like gameplay where you win in a pinch, then you might like it. 

In CS they streamlined the system and added many new options, which made several builds and gameplay types viable but made the game significantly easier, as the higher difficulty options didn't scale well. Either learn the concept of self-imposed challenges or GTFO

Personally, I’d rather have a ton of broken options that are fun than like, one viable strat that isn’t fun. I like CS more than Sky because FC and FC suck ass to play, and there's like a billion games with far more interesting combat systems than Sky that I'd rather put my time and effort in.

2 hours ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Slow recoveries suck...

I hope you get better fast and that you get that job.
1 hour ago, Benice said:

By playing the Yakuza games and getting drunk on how good they are

This 👆

8 minutes ago, Benice said:

You should find out by playing Yakuza 0, so you can criticize the actions of the playables!

…I’ll just continue to drink thank you.

4 minutes ago, Awakened_06_ said:

Man, there's still a week to go before term ends. I want to be free again...

I want my sanity back…and then maybe my freedom…

16 minutes ago, Awakened_06_ said:

This 👆

Based.

Speaking of, you said you started 0, right? How does it stack up to Kiwami, in your opinion?

12 minutes ago, Shrimpresident said:

Edit: Meh, not worth it

I will just stop before i make the whole Thread and myself go

pcCNnLI.png

again

Thank you!