Serenes Forest's Teehee Thread

MisterIceTeaPeach

11 minutes ago, Awakened_06_ said:

Ruben, it looks like the song is known to Katy Perry at this point. You ask if it's worth continuing to play and then they tell you to give it another chance. But then you say "but I don't want to waste you so much time playing this" and then others answer "so it's not worth it for you". But then you say “Oh, but everyone talks well!” Come on, make up your mind!

Sorry.

11 minutes ago, Awakened_06_ said:

But answering your question with my most sincere opinion: no, it's not worth it. Trails is literally the JRPG equivalent of One Piece, an extremely long work, with no end in sight and that faithfully follows shounen tropes, but with good worldbuilding. If you're not interested in that, you won't find any fun in games. Don't expect the series to respect your time: you can finish FC thinking it's going to start advancing now, thanks to the cliffhanger, but the first half of SC is the same pace as the first ones in FC, except that it's worse because you know there are bigger things behind the scenes but the game refuses to get straight to the point, making you waste time with some of the worst villains I've ever seen in a JRPG (with one exception, Walter is based) in a shitty monster-of-the-week formula which makes Stardust Crusaders (Jojo part 3) look good.

From what I've read on the internet, the games are made up of 50% padding and 50% kino, so I continued on to find the diamonds at the end of the mine, but when I got to all I found was... copper. That was just my experience of course, and the second half of the game is genuinely good (at least chapters 6, 8 and the finale), but a lot of the payoffs that happened in the second half of the game fell flat, for a variety of reasons, but the main one was for lack of screentime to adequately detail the relationship of some characters with the villains.

On the gameplay side: Sky wasn't designed with multiple difficulties in mind, resulting in stat scaling in higher difficulties that makes the game, well, difficult. Enemies are faster than you, they have high defense and HP that make crafts and physical attacks light, and consequently make you need to abuse arts, etc. Many fights in the hardest difficulty cannot be cheesed. The most effective tactics simply give you a chance to win, because any other non-cheesy strategy guarantees defeat. There are also several fights that you can lose more than 10 times in a row despite perfect strategy/decision making simply due to RNG's antics. If you like gameplay where you win in a pinch, then you might like it. 

In CS they streamlined the system and added many new options, which made several builds and gameplay types viable but made the game significantly easier, as the higher difficulty options didn't scale well. Either learn the concept of self-imposed challenges or GTFO

Personally, I’d rather have a ton of broken options that are fun than like, one viable strat that isn’t fun. I like CS more than Sky because FC and FC suck ass to play, and there's like a billion games with far more interesting combat systems than Sky that I'd rather put my time and effort in.

That's quite the in-depth summary. Thanks. It does add up with my limited experience. How much of Trails have you played, again?

Well, regardless of what I decide, nothing is happening right now. I gotta finish the handful of Vandal Hearts 2 maps I've left before I can say I've 100%'d the game, and I have to continue my run of SoHaE.

8 minutes ago, Shrimpresident said:

Edit: Meh, not worth it

Ahahahahahah

Gee, I wonder which post you were replying to with this.

2 minutes ago, WraithReborn said:

Ah yes the Saltiron War…I needed a good laugh after a day in the salt mines.

Oh never mind, Shrimpy was posting the Triangle Strategy trailer.

...Wait, why did you edit your post into nothingness, then?

• Replies 176.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Shrimpica

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

5 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

...Wait, why did you edit your post into nothingness, then?

?

My triangle strategy post is still up

I just decided to not turn the thread into a Trails warzone again. 

Unbenannt.png

Edited by Shrimpresident

7 minutes ago, Shrimpresident said:

?

My triangle strategy post is still up

I just decided to not turn the thread into a Trails warzone again.

Ahh, okay. Then it's what I figured.

Kudos to you for the restraint.

2 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

This is not reassuring, Sooks.

...Read above, Sooks.

I mean, you’ll like the play if you like an hour of filler shenanigans between Estelle, Joshua and Kloe. Which I didn’t, and I actually like all three of those characters (well, I wasn’t too fond of Joshua at the time, but still).

As far as comparing One Piece to Trails, you don’t need to stick with the series that long to reach its pay offs. FC and SC tell a single, self contained story with its own pay offs and such by the end of SC, and you would her perfectly fine just stopping there especially because it’s the best arc. Sky 3rd is basically set up for the rest of the series, the game. Zero and Azure also tell their own self contained story that you can just hop into and contains its own pay offs or whatever, the only difference being that Zero mercilessly spoils Sky, which doesn’t matter if you don’t want to play it. Cold Steel I haven’t finished, but the first game requires zero Trails knowledge and you can just hop straight into it. It itself is self contained as well. All of these games do reference each other and playing them all in order does improve your experience at of the later games, but that’s not necessary to enjoy them, and playing the later games isn’t necessary to enjoy the earlier ones.

So yeah, it can be One Piece if you want it to be or end up absolutely hooked because Sky is that good but it doesn’t have to be.

1 hour ago, Lightchao42 said:

Also, I hear the first two games have a largely complete story on their own, so you don't have to get into the whole series if you don't want to.

Yep, this.

1 hour ago, Lightchao42 said:

People with good taste, clearly. Or have you forgotten Princess Joshua?

But tragic and well written Joshua as part of the best plot twist in fiction is better!

2 hours ago, Acacia Sgt said:

My cough.

I hope that gets better soon!

37 minutes ago, Shrimpresident said:

I will just stop before i make the whole Thread and myself go

pcCNnLI.png

again

Hey, that would be better than me, who might have almost had a small vehicular collision yesterday, due to a scatterbrained mind with too much eros towards pixels in it while driving.😅

4 minutes ago, Shrimpresident said:

z9212og3x6851.jpg

Incubus-DSSH-Art.png

11 minutes ago, Sooks said:

I mean, you’ll like the play if you like an hour of filler shenanigans between Estelle, Joshua and Kloe. Which I didn’t, and I actually like all three of those characters (well, I wasn’t too fond of Joshua at the time, but still).

Well, doesn't this sound positively riveting.

11 minutes ago, Sooks said:

As far as comparing One Piece to Trails, you don’t need to stick with the series that long to reach its pay offs. FC and SC tell a single, self contained story with its own pay offs and such by the end of SC, and you would her perfectly fine just stopping there especially because it’s the best arc. Sky 3rd is basically set up for the rest of the series, the game. Zero and Azure also tell their own self contained story that you can just hop into and contains its own pay offs or whatever, the only difference being that Zero mercilessly spoils Sky, which doesn’t matter if you don’t want to play it. Cold Steel I haven’t finished, but the first game requires zero Trails knowledge and you can just hop straight into it. It itself is self contained as well. All of these games do reference each other and playing them all in order does improve your experience at of the later games, but that’s not necessary to enjoy them, and playing the later games isn’t necessary to enjoy the earlier ones.

So yeah, it can be One Piece if you want it to be or end up absolutely hooked because Sky is that good but it doesn’t have to be.

Hmmm.

8 minutes ago, Shrimpresident said:

z9212og3x6851.jpg

I agree. Anime is a blight on mankind. Fuck it.

Just now, Interdimensional Observer said:

Incubus-DSSH-Art.png

Is this Waluigi in demon form?

2 minutes ago, Shrimpresident said:

oof

Be careful while driving! Do not get distracted!

Just now, Shrimpresident said:

Isekai_with_NepNep.jpg

You tell him not to get distracted and then you throw anime his way? Anime is despicable and will definitely startle him at the wheel! How could you!? You've killed Wraith! You've killed him!!!

1 minute ago, WraithReborn said:

What can change the nature of a man?

Alcoholics Anonymous?

2 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

You tell him not to get distracted and then you throw anime his way? Anime is despicable and will definitely startle him at the wheel! How could you!? You've killed Wraith! You've killed him!

Wraith gashinda!

Kono hoto de nashi!

20190709021925_1.jpg

btw @lightcosmo I think you should give Fairy Fencer F:Advent Dark Force and Dragon Star Varnir a try

Fairy Fencer is basically Nep without Nep/gaming parodies and more gameplay focused, while DSV is beauty and despair in a game

Edited by Shrimpresident

10 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

How could you!? You've killed Wraith! You've killed him!!!

Alcoholics Anonymous?

What!!! No to both Rubenio, what are you even going on about?

9 minutes ago, Benice said:

13 minutes ago, Shrimpresident said:

btw @lightcosmo I think you should give Fairy Fencer F:Advent Dark Force and Dragon Star Varnir a try

Fairy Fencer is basically Nep without Nep/gaming parodies and more gameplay focused, while DSV is beauty and despair in a game

*jots down*

I'll be sure to check it out!