• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Shrimpica

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

6 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

Wait what?!?

Gold Points expire at the end of the month a year after you get them. So if you got Gold Points on January 1st, 2020, those points will expire on January 31st, 2021.

Now that does mean that Gold Points will expire at different dates depending on when you got them but My Nintendo doesn't show that.

5 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

Ephraim/Myrrh hype

wait are those sirens i am hearing

*FBI intensifies*

Just now, Shrimperor said:

F

XD

Just now, Armagon said:

Gold Points expire at the end of the month a year after you get them. So if you got Gold Points on January 1st, 2020, those points will expire on January 31st, 2021.

Now that does mean that Gold Points will expire at different dates depending on when you got them but My Nintendo doesn't show that.

I see.
Interesting. That's like the PS Store then!

Just now, DragonFlames said:

I am intrigued!
... also because I have no clue what that is about, but even if I did, I'd be interested!

Why the support system in FE sucks, from both story and gameplay prespective, basically

I already talked about it here before, but i've been wanting to make a big/serious topic about it for a while.

Why the support system in FE sucks, from both story and gameplay prespective, basically

I already talked about it here before, but i've been wanting to make a big/serious topic about it for a while.

Ah, I see! That does sound really interesting!
I'd say go for it if you want to!
Though I can already see the... uh... heated discussions that will be going on there, if other FE-related topics in that section of the Forums are any indication.

11 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

Though I can already see the... uh... heated discussions that will be going on there, if other FE-related topics in that section of the Forums are any indication.

You never know where the mods are lurking

12 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

That's the thing

it's a very beloved mechanic xD

And i am gonna not only attack it, but take example from other games, which may or may not go well...

1 minute ago, Sooks1016 said:

You never know where the mods are lurking

Indeed.

That's the thing

it's a very beloved mechanic xD

And i am gonna not only attack it, but take example from other games, which may or may not go well...

I could see that going south very very fast. XD

If you want my take on FE's support system:

Spoiler

anime-shrug-gif.gif
Could be better, could be worse.

1 minute ago, Sooks1016 said:

I second, although I do think Three Houses was a step in the right direction.

I agree.
I also liked Echoes' approach to it, that some supports could only happen after certain parts of the story have been cleared. Three Houses does this for many supports, too, which makes it feel a little more organic at least.

1 minute ago, DragonFlames said:

anime-shrug-gif.gif

I love that gif xD

Just now, Sooks1016 said:

I second, although I do think Three Houses was a step in the right direction.

definetly the best implementation of it so far, especially with how easy it is to build up supports

If you wanna see what my suggestions for improvements will basically boil down to, these 3 images should give you an idea

Spoiler

ToB_Apr222016_02.jpg
ss_00.jpg
8220_1.png

Hide contents

ToB_Apr222016_02.jpg
ss_00.jpg
8220_1.png

I really like the last one, the second one just makes me think of linked attacks from three houses (probably because it says “LINK” 😂) and my dummy brain can’t figure out the first one.

To be honest, I'd rather step more towards the GBA era in terms of supports, only make supports actually feasible to get. It may be just me, but I find the supports in a lot of games, (even the GBA ones) to be WAAAAAY too long, which is honestly why I intend to just read Byleth's supports rather than get S-supports in-game, not to mention that sometimes you'll be reading about five to ten supports per map, which is a LOT. FE6 has some awful, awful supports, but it has a few good ones, and I enjoy how they aren't that long- Wade and Lot's supports, for example, are very short, but still provide characterization. A lot of FE7's are very wordy, but I like the length of FE8's, and IMO they have the best support length in the franchise, as the convos aren't too long for the most part, but they avoid Wendy-tier.

As for a gameplay, eh. Never actually played a game where you need 'em. Well, I guess RD, but that's essentially for Earth-Earth. DSFE also did a good job with support speed, in my opnion-It just needed more of 'em.

Edited by Benice

I love that gif xD

Same. XD

If you wanna see what my suggestions for improvements will basically boil down to, these 3 images should give you an idea

Reveal hidden contents

ToB_Apr222016_02.jpg
ss_00.jpg
8220_1.png

YEEEES! That would be awesome, actually!

5 minutes ago, Sooks1016 said:

I really like the last one, the second one just makes me think of linked attacks from three houses (probably because it says “LINK” 😂) and my dummy brain can’t figure out the first one.

First one is the Skits from Tales of Series, where some of, or maybe all of the Party interact with each other. 1 on 1 convos can be nice, but for it to always be the case, like in FE,  is very limiting.

And 2nd one is link yeah, basically those linked with each other support each other with a variety of skills, depending on their link level.

And 3rd one is trigger condition for support skills. Like, ''Do x for y support to happen''

4 minutes ago, Benice said:

To be honest, I'd rather step more towards the GBA era in terms of supports

No, just no.

you are truely my mortal enemy.

Too long, too bad, very limited & limiting.

4 minutes ago, Benice said:

not to mention that sometimes you'll be reading about five to ten supports per map

Yeah, never again support convos in map. Never.

You didn't play 3H yet, right?

Edited by Shrimperor

That will require IS to change the gold machine that's the current support system though....

i don't see it happening, ngl XD

Shrimpy vs. Benice - Final Battle when?

me when i think of GBAFE

KCsWOtn.png

Edited by Shrimperor

True.
But it would be fun to see!

Y'know, now that I think about it, part of what made the "character events" in Dragon Star Varnir so good (to me; I really liked them) was that they always included everyone, just put the focus on the "main" person involved. It was a nice touch that really gave them that extra sense of "we're family".

11 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

Y'know, now that I think about it, part of what made the "character events" in Dragon Star Varnir so good (to me; I really liked them) was that they always included everyone, just put the focus on the "main" person involved. It was a nice touch that really gave them that extra sense of "we're family".

yup. And it's not like i am asking for supports to be completely demolished

instead of support, we get Base convos like in Tellius. Some can be 1 on 1, some can be multipe, and those involved get a support gain with each other. Some should involve choices that raises support points between characters involved depending on choice. Even non-lord/non-Avatar should've choices the players gets to choose if they are the focus of that convo.

And depending on support Rank, support skills when linked in battle are activated

let's take Mercedes as an example

C-support skill: Auto-heal. Once/twice/thrice (depending on support level) per turn, auto heal attacked ally. Trigger condition: linked ally takes damage in battle

B-support skill: Barrier. Res + X (depending on support level) for first magic damage taken on enemy phase. Trigger: take Magic damage.

A-support skill: Status immunity. Linked Ally is immune to negative status effects

S-support skill: Revive. Once per Map, if linked ally get's ko'd, revive them with (Mag + 10) HP.

Just as an example that can be expanded to all different characters and classes. Of course needs to be balanced and stuff. Also each party member can only be linked with one party member at a time.

Might be a bit to complex though, hmmm.

Edited by Shrimperor

1 minute ago, Shrimperor said:

You didn't play 3H yet, right?

The first three chapters, yeah. (Blue Lions, Hard/Casual, since I was borrowing a friend's file from the prologue. I didn't like it much, to be honest. The amount of supports I had after just three chapters was...Wow. The story was interesting, but the sheer amount of time spent outside of combat took me out of it. The game had a feel of being stagnant, in a way.

I'd rather games generally be more concise, and when they do have walls of text, it's for a reason. I don't know, I just didn't find Three Houses' supports that engaging. I liked the way Berwick, (wow huge surprise) built up characters better, which wasn't via supports, even though there was tons of dialogue. There are TECHNICALLY supports, but they're like bond supports from Tellius, only they barely exist. (Like, +1 to hit and stuff like that. I don't know why Kaga even bothered with supports...)

The way Berwick works is that each character gets several events over the course of the game, which usually lead to either a paralogue or side objective in a chapter. It may sound slow, but it's very dynamic.

Taking Axel, for example. He's introduced as a kind man who had been a sailor. He recently has become the adoptive father for a blind young girl named Ciel. Several chapters later, he has an event in which he, [SPOILERS IN CASE ANYONE EVER WANTS TO PLAY BERWICK]

Spoiler

meets a former member of his crew, where it is revealed that Axel was once a feared pirate who was infamous for his brutality. His crew member threatens to kill Ciel if he doesn't acquire treasure that another former member of his crew stole. Axel thinks about his past and how cruel he was. He returns home to Ciel, who has a very cute and wholesome scene where she talks about how she loves him and how he is beautiful.

In the chapter, Axel can visit a house where that crew member is. The crew member tells him where the treasure is then tries to kill Axel while he's not looking. Axel expects it and kills him instead, and the crew member talks about how Axel is evil. Axel agrees that he is evil, but takes the gold.

After the chapter, Axel gives the gold to the guy who ransomed him. However, before the crew member leaves, Axel kills him to prevent him from doing something like this again, and again, Axel is told that he is evil and that he hasn't changed from his days as a pirate. He returns to Ciel, but leaves shortly afterwards because he wants her to grow up in a world that is beautiful-A world that he feels he isn't a part of. He leaves, and is permanently recruited by the player instead.

...I don't know how his arc ends, though. Haven't gotten that far. I do know that he doesn't pull a Gilbert-he goes back.

I like how the side stories and the main stories intersected so often, and it made it really interesting. It made the characters feel more like part of a world than any other FE game has for me.  Probably just a different strokes for different folks thing, though.

2 minutes ago, Benice said:

he way Berwick works is that each character gets several events over the course of the game, which usually lead to either a paralogue or side objective in a chapter. It may sound slow, but it's very dynamic.

Taking Axel, for example. He's introduced as a kind man who had been a sailor. He recently has become the adoptive father for a blind young girl named Ciel. Several chapters later, he has an event in which he, [SPOILERS IN CASE ANYONE EVER WANTS TO PLAY BERWICK]

Reveal hidden contents

meets a former member of his crew, where it is revealed that Axel was once a feared pirate who was infamous for his brutality. His crew member threatens to kill Ciel if he doesn't acquire treasure that another former member of his crew stole. Axel thinks about his past and how cruel he was. He returns home to Ciel, who has a very cute and wholesome scene where she talks about how she loves him and how he is beautiful.

In the chapter, Axel can visit a house where that crew member is. The crew member tells him where the treasure is then tries to kill Axel while he's not looking. Axel expects it and kills him instead, and the crew member talks about how Axel is evil. Axel agrees that he is evil, but takes the gold.

After the chapter, Axel gives the gold to the guy who ransomed him. However, before the crew member leaves, Axel kills him to prevent him from doing something like this again, and again, Axel is told that he is evil and that he hasn't changed from his days as a pirate. He returns to Ciel, but leaves shortly afterwards because he wants her to grow up in a world that is beautiful-A world that he feels he isn't a part of. He leaves, and is permanently recruited by the player instead.

...I don't know how his arc ends, though. Haven't gotten that far. I do know that he doesn't pull a Gilbert-he goes back.

I like how the side stories and the main stories intersected so often, and it made it really interesting. It made the characters feel more like part of a world than any other FE game has for me.  Probably just a different strokes for different folks thing, though.

yeah sounds good. Reminds me of Valkyria chronicles 4, which does something similiar with the side quests where 3 Party members do a paralogue together.

12 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

yup. And it's not like i am asking for supports to be completely demolished

instead of support, we get Base convos like in Tellius. Some can be 1 on 1, some can be multipe, and those involved get a support gain with each other. Some should involve choices that raises support points between characters involved depending on choice. Even non-lord/non-Avatar should've choices the players gets to choose if they are the focus of that convo.

And depending on support Rank, support skills when linked in battle are activated

let's take Mercedes as an example

C-support skill: Auto-heal. Once/twice/thrice (depending on support level) per turn, auto heal attacked ally. Trigger condition: linked ally takes damage in battle

B-support skill: Barrier. Res + X (depending on support level) for first magic damage taken on enemy phase. Trigger: take Magic damage.

A-support skill: Status immunity. Linked Ally is immune to negative status effects

S-support skill: Revive. Once per Map, if linked ally get's ko'd, revive them with (Mag + 10) HP.

Just as an example that can be expanded to all different characters and classes. Of course needs to be balanced and stuff. Also each party member can only be linked with one party member at a time.

Might be a bit to complex though, hmmm.

I want that...

No seriously.

3 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

I'll just be here enjoying SRW over FE, kthnx...

If it's any comfort, I am not feeling too eager to play FE lately, myself.