Serenes Forest's Teehee Thread

MisterIceTeaPeach

46 minutes ago, Benice said:

As for a gameplay, eh. Never actually played a game where you need 'em. Well, I guess RD, but that's essentially for Earth-Earth. DSFE also did a good job with support speed, in my opnion-It just needed more of 'em.

You shouldn't need supports, especially if they're GBA-PoR limited and thus you may wish for form (two characters you like) over function of what gives the best bonuses to your characters.

I'm open to anything on how to handle character interactions, provided they're wholesome. Can't really think of much from any game I've played that isn't similar to what already has been stated. Although there might be something escaping me.

10 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

I'll just be here enjoying SRW over FE, kthnx...

Playing Masoukishin told me that FE having barebones scripts in the 16-bit era was totally unnecessary. It's almost inconceivable Marth/Seliph's/Leif's advisor exposition dumps coexisted with so much anime blabber. -Not to say FE didn't have some good writing in the era, and permadeath deserves some blame.

---

With Armagon mentioning Gold Points earlier, that crap My Nintendo service is finally adding physical rewards in North America. And what is it?:

b2bd0f7be62ac068

Xenoblade Chronicles stickers, postcards. And a ring holder thingy you attach to your phone, I don't understand how it works b/c I don't have a smartphone. Costs only Platinum Points, but you have to pay for shipping too.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

• Replies 176.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Shrimpica

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

9 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

I want that...

No seriously.

If only IS overhauls the support system

And maybe i should make the big topic with the whole idea and arugements, i already a tl;dr version here  xD

9 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

If it's any comfort, I am not feeling too eager to play FE lately, myself.

happens. Same to me atm, if it's any comfort.

I am actually waiting for Yggdrasil, ya know, the MVP chan fan game, to have an update xD

3 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

It's almost inconceivable Marth/Seliph's/Leif's advisor exposition dumps coexisted with so much anime blabber. -Not to say FE didn't have some good writing in the era, and permadeath deserves some blame.

I am honestly wondering how they are gonna manage the FE4 remake. I don't think it will go over well if it stays the same, dialogue wise

14 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

I'll just be here enjoying SRW over FE, kthnx...

What is SRW?

5 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

You shouldn't need supports, especially if they're GBA-PoR limited and thus you may wish for form (two characters you like) over function of what gives the best bonuses to your characters.

True, true. Are they still impractical in the 3DSFE era?

Just now, Benice said:

What is SRW?

Super Robot Wars

A SRPG series that is basically about mecha crossovers. They're great, in my not quite significant opinion.

It's where things like these can happen:

Though if you want something you can actually understand:

Sadly, SRW is a series that is mostly restricted to East Asia, due to things like licencing costs and stuff. Fortunately, they've started to make official translations of the games, and with region lock-less consoles, importing is not a problem.

2 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Super Robot Wars

A SRPG series that is basically about mecha crossovers. They're great, in my not quite significant opinion.

It's where things like these can happen:

Wow, that looks pretty good! I'll have to check that out someday.

2 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

I am honestly wondering how they are gonna manage the FE4 remake. I don't think it will go over well if it stays the same, dialogue wise

They did overhaul FE2 dialogue, though you could've fit Gaiden's entire script on a napkin. FE11 was very conservative about script additions, but thats 12 years ago; and FE12 went much further, if still conservative in the main plot outside of Kris-sama. 

FE4 should definitely be overhauled to include more main story dialogue. Though it runs into the issue of who to talk to. This is especially true mid-chapter, because when Sigurd/Seliph seizes and stuff happens right after, it'll look weird to have them converse with Quan/Leif if they're twenty tiles away working towards taking the next castle. Abolishing the giant maps would fix this.

5 minutes ago, Benice said:

True, true. Are they still impractical in the 3DSFE era?

It takes a minimum of 4 battles to establish an A support between two units in Awakening, 6 battles for S rank. The quickest way to build the maximum amount of support gain per fight is spending 5 rounds of combat in Pair Up. If a character has bonded with other characters in the fight, those pairing with lower priority will have a lower support point max gain per battle, hitting 0 with the fourth and all subsequent persons they bonded with. Fates tweaks these numbers slightly, but otherwise the gain mechanics are the same.

As for support bonuses, they apply only if adjacent or paired up, aligns with how they're earned. In Awakening, the stat boosts and increased Dual Strike and Dual Guard rates make having supports very good, because Pair Up is busted and hence you should make the most of it. It's toned down in Fates and each character's bonuses are slightly more individualized, but the boosts can still be useful. 

Just now, Benice said:

Wow, that looks pretty good! I'll have to check that out someday.

If you're willing to emulate, try Super Robot Taisen: Original Generation for GBA. It's and Original Generation 2 are the only ones with official North American translations, because they're free of licensing issues because all the characters are original creations by Banpresto, no actual anime involved.

SRW isn't exactly hard, and the plots are mecha anime melodrama with basically anime characters. But they can't be faulted for flashy attacks (although I'm questioning if the modern attacks are too flashy *gets stoned by an angry mecha mob*), the music can be nice, if a little repetitive. I found the GBA titles fun back in the day.

27 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

happens. Same to me atm, if it's any comfort.

Umu, umu!
It's always nice knowing that you're not alone, even with little things like this.

27 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

I am actually waiting for Yggdrasil, ya know, the MVP chan fan game, to have an update xD

That game looked fun from what you posted about it!

---

On the topic of an FE4 remake: If it manages to not make me almost fall asleep during the Prologue, that would already be an improvement.

1 minute ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Abolishing the giant maps would fix this.

Abolishing the giant maps would fix alooooooooot of things wrong with the game
but also annoy almost every FE4 fan.

Just now, Shrimperor said:

Abolishing the giant maps would fix alooooooooot of things wrong with the game
but also annoy almost every FE4 fan.

Just give us a Genealogy Musou alongside the remake. Want the feeling of a grand war with ginormous scope? There, there you go. And because Musou is about feeling the catharsis of power, the brokenly strong take on the Holy Weapons won't be out of place the way they smash strategy in an SRPG.

Remakes so far have been quite faithful... no way they're removing the giant maps.

6 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

SRW isn't exactly hard, and the plots are mecha anime melodrama with basically anime characters. But they can't be faulted for flashy attacks (although I'm questioning if the modern attacks are too flashy *gets stoned by an angry mecha mob*), the music can be nice, if a little repetitive. I found the GBA titles fun back in the day.

I mean, you ain't exactly wrong there. lol

It's alright, most fans mostly joke about it. Memes exist about that attack alone being like over half the budget and stuff. Specially in the latest games.

Though yeah, it's certainly a long history...

6 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

That game looked fun from what you posted about it!

It legit is, and i recommend it to anyone who wants an FE like game. Especially if you want some fresh takes on some FE things

Link (jp!)

3 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Just give us a Genealogy Musou alongside the remake. Want the feeling of a grand war with ginormous scope? There, there you go. And because Musou is about feeling the catharsis of power, the brokenly strong take on the Holy Weapons won't be out of place the way they smash strategy in an SRPG.

FE4 could learn alot from Musou games.

By making giant maps matter, for one. Because aside from being walking simulators and chapter 3, the giant maps are just small maps tacked together

2 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Remakes so far have been quite faithful...

I dislike that quite a bit, ngl

And here I am, perfectly content with how 3H did supports. I wouldn't want them any other way tbh. But hey. Everyone's got their own perspective on it.

10 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

On the topic of an FE4 remake: If it manages to not make me almost fall asleep during the Prologue, that would already be an improvement.

Same.

7 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Now that's an idea. I'd buy it.

Edited by twilitfalchion

4 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

It legit is, and i recommend it to anyone who wants an FE like game. Especially if you want some fresh takes on some FE things

Link (jp!)

I would love to play it, but... Linux. XD

4 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

FE4 could learn alot from Musou games.

By making giant maps matter, for one. Because aside from being walking simulators and chapter 3, the giant maps are just small maps tacked together

sOBUYM1.jpg

The base conquering gameplay is certainly reminiscient. And the map size is, as well, as you can see (that little green arrow is me) but you have much more going on from base to base, usually.
And no, this is not an excuse to show off Christophorus in Warriors All-Stars. Not at all...

3 minutes ago, twilitfalchion said:

Same.

XD

Edited by DragonFlames

1 minute ago, DragonFlames said:

The base conquering gameplay is certainly similar. And the map size is, as well, as you can see (that little green arrow is me) but you have much more going on from base to base.

Not just more going on from base to base, but you also have to take care of more than one base at once. Was rarely the case in FE4

And no, this is not an excuse to show off Christophorus in Warriors All-Stars. Not at all

Not a wrong thing to do xD

1 hour ago, Benice said:

To be honest, I'd rather step more towards the GBA era in terms of supports, only make supports actually feasible to get. It may be just me, but I find the supports in a lot of games, (even the GBA ones) to be WAAAAAY too long, which is honestly why I intend to just read Byleth's supports rather than get S-supports in-game, not to mention that sometimes you'll be reading about five to ten supports per map, which is a LOT. FE6 has some awful, awful supports, but it has a few good ones, and I enjoy how they aren't that long- Wade and Lot's supports, for example, are very short, but still provide characterization.

Wait hang on, you want Supports to be how they were in the GBA era but then admitted that even the ones in the GBA era were too long but Supports for most of the series' life have been in the maps as opposed to the menu. So i'm confused, do you want in-chapter Supports or not?

48 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

With Armagon mentioning Gold Points earlier, that crap My Nintendo service is finally adding physical rewards in North America. And what is it?:

b2bd0f7be62ac068

Xenoblade Chronicles stickers, postcards. And a ring holder thingy you attach to your phone, I don't understand how it works b/c I don't have a smartphone. Costs only Platinum Points, but you have to pay for shipping too.

And unfortunately, these have sold out from what i hear. The Monado ring holder at least. Which i would've gotten but i lack the Platinum Points. I don't really care for the stickers, even if official Xenoblade merch is cool.

1 minute ago, Shrimperor said:

Not just more going on from base to base, but you also have to take care of more than one base at once. Was rarely the case in FE4

That is true! Though I can't speak for FE4, since, you know, *snore* and all. XD
However, that is a double edged sword at times, since you are pretty much on your own most of the time and rushing from one base to the next can be quite the adrenaline-fueled experience (unless you have a very fast horse or, in All-Stars' case, that guy with the green hat, whose support ability doubles your movements speed for a time).
Your AI allies rarely, if ever, are of any help to you when defending bases.
Fate Extella Link is a major exception to that rule, as is arguably FE Warriors. And DW8 Empires' allies usually do a decent job at this, too.
But in every other Musou game? Expect to be on your own most of the time. X.X

Not a wrong thing to do xD

I mean... she is my "main", after all. XD

1 hour ago, Benice said:

To be honest, I'd rather step more towards the GBA era in terms of supports, only make supports actually feasible to get. It may be just me, but I find the supports in a lot of games, (even the GBA ones) to be WAAAAAY too long, which is honestly why I intend to just read Byleth's supports rather than get S-supports in-game, not to mention that sometimes you'll be reading about five to ten supports per map, which is a LOT. FE6 has some awful, awful supports, but it has a few good ones, and I enjoy how they aren't that long- Wade and Lot's supports, for example, are very short, but still provide characterization. A lot of FE7's are very wordy, but I like the length of FE8's, and IMO they have the best support length in the franchise, as the convos aren't too long for the most part, but they avoid Wendy-tier.

As for a gameplay, eh. Never actually played a game where you need 'em. Well, I guess RD, but that's essentially for Earth-Earth. DSFE also did a good job with support speed, in my opnion-It just needed more of 'em.

You do know that supports aren't viewed on the map in 3H, right? If anything, having the supports be viewable off the battlefield keeps them from detracting from the main gameplay, and you can instead connect with and learn about the characters at your base.

Ngl, 3H has the best supports in the series in terms of quality. They're well worth taking the time to watch, even if some of them run a bit long.

Edited by twilitfalchion

Just now, DragonFlames said:

Your AI allies rarely, if ever, are of any help to you when defending bases.
Fate Extella Link is a major exception to that rule

I feel like we played different extellas xD

You can switch to an AI ally and control them in some of the games, right? Like in FE Warriors

I feel like we played different extellas xD

You only played the first one, right? Link is the second (and much better) one, and your allies can put in some real work there.
I'd say Extella Link is THE best musou game right now, gameplay-wise.

You can switch to an AI ally and control them in some of the games, right? Like in FE Warriors

Yep. Samurai Warriors 4 lets you do that, as does Samurai Warriors Chronicles 3 on the 3DS.
And in Warriors Orochi 3 Ultimate, you pick three characters you can switch between at the beginning of each stage.

In All-Stars, you pick one character and then four support characters, whose skills you can use to help you in battle.

Just now, DragonFlames said:

You only played the first one, right? Link is the second (and much better) one, and your allies can put in some real work there.
I'd say Extella Link is THE best musou game right now, gameplay-wise

Oh. I thought you were talking about the first game. My bad xD

Yep. Samurai Warriors 4 lets you do that, as does Samurai Warriors Chronicles 3 on the 3DS.
And in Warriors Orochi 3 Ultimate, you pick three characters you can switch between at the beginning of each stage.

In All-Stars, you pick one character and then four support characters, whose skills you can use to help you in battle

naruhodo

Oh. I thought you were talking about the first game. My bad xD

No problem!
In the first game, the allied AI was dead weight. XD

naruhodo

Yup, yup.

For some fun trivia: Sophie's support skills shoots Puni rockets.
And yes, they do exist in Atelier Sophie. XD