Serenes Forest's Teehee Thread

MisterIceTeaPeach

1 hour ago, twilitfalchion said:

It suits him well, IMO.

When you try to impress your fiance's family

29 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

I just found another review for Exit Fate online (here it is, if anyone wishes to give it a read), and it includes this pearl of a line.

"Thinking, by the way, is actually necessary in this jRPG, unlike most of its brethren where almost every battle can be won by tapping a singleĀ button."

Well, shit. It's not even this one alone. Here's another review, in video form this time, that I watched yesterday. It also makes a point to describe it as a game that makes an effort not to fall for the same pitfalls as the rest of the genre.

They all feel like they're speaking to me and my problems with JRPGs. And stating that this game does not suffer from them, at that. It has a number of interesting mechanics that I'd love to see in action. Biggest criticisms seem to be that the start of the game is slow and that the game doesn't have original music, but rather pulls tracks from other JRPGs, FE hack style. Neither of them sound all that big to me.

t honestly looks like it may be the one. The one I enjoy that doesn't need to be an oddball. Or maybe it'll be a disappointment, but I really want to find out. Only problem I can see from outside is that the protagonist's face gives me slight uncanny valley feels, but that's not a flaw, that's a nitpick that I'd spend the entire game bullying him for. Either way, I don't learn, do I. Once again, I am feeling that I may have to give a JRPG a shot - after all, it is freeware. I lose nothing here but time.

Apologies for not being clear earlier, I just hadn't touched it in ages so I didn't want to be making statements that I couldn't back up. I wanted to mention about the sizable playable chars, rows mattering and that I didn't know if it did the SRPG maps Suikoden II did.

And yes, it does have a ton of tracks from other games. The menu theme is straight up the menu theme from Chrono Trigger for example.

Edit: Wrong theme, it's a sombre piece that happens in [SPOILERS]

29 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Maybe people should just accept that Star Wars has never been that amazing.

Star Wars fans gonna attack your inbox like it's Kyasheek

Edited by Dayni

• Replies 176k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Shrimpica

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

16 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Oh Rubenio, where hath thine sanity sojourned to this bleak night?

ULJS00394-00000.jpg

I figured it out.šŸ˜

ULJS00394-00001.jpgULJS00394-00002.jpgULJS00394-00003.jpg

• Green, eco-friendly, wisdom-seeking, witchyĀ queendom.
  • Red imperialistic kingdomĀ that underwent a recent revolution. Though his people are exhausted,Ā the new rulerĀ seeksĀ to restore the kingdom's world domination.
  • BlueĀ kingdom with a love for honor, a Lion King, and an exiled princess from the red kingdom.

ULJS00394-00004.jpg

Hmm... no idea which to choose. I haven't the faintest what difference it makes. Vanillaware is inconsistent on how much they value story. Since this game had an online component, I'mĀ left wondering if the three countries divide was more intended as a player vs. player thing, like how BLADE Divisions in XCX was mostly a flavor choice offline,Ā with a slight greater online importance.

Any ideas which I should pick?Ā I'll keep it like the Holy Roman Emperor, nothing you noblemen proclaimĀ is law to me, but everything you say I'll consider as advice.

I don't feel like playing Grand Knights History right now. Getting the patching done and checking to see that it has workedĀ took long enough. I need a break and I'll doĀ something else today. Probably some reading and a light return to SMTV.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

5 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Any ideas which I should pick?

Pick none, your allegiance should be towards yourself before any country.

Green however seems the best choice.

48 minutes ago, Dayni said:

Apologies for not being clear earlier, I just hadn't touched it in ages so I didn't want to be making statements that I couldn't back up. I wanted to mention about the sizable playable chars, rows mattering and that I didn't know if it did the SRPG maps Suikoden II did.

Not to worry, I got there myself.

And yes, it does have a ton of tracks from other games. The menu theme is straight up the menu theme from Chrono Trigger for example.

Well, apparently they're all tracks from "the golden age" of JRPGs. Which means 90% of them are going to be new to me, and the remaining 10% I'm going to recognize from Sun God's Wrath. Good for me!

Ah.

...Man, I played Chrono Trigger up to the final boss and I don't remember this.

Star Wars fans gonna attack your inbox like it's Kyasheek

Star Wars fans be like

4WDLY7JO_o.png

41 minutes ago, WraithReborn said:

Oh Rubenio, where hath thine sanity sojourned to this bleak night?

I said what I said.

28 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Any ideas which I should pick?

• Red imperialistic kingdomĀ that underwent a recent revolution. Though his people are exhausted,Ā the new rulerĀ seeksĀ to restore the kingdom's world domination.
  • BlueĀ kingdom with a love for honor, a Lion King, and an exiled princess from the red kingdom.

Gee, I wonder where I've seen this before.

• Green, eco-friendly, wisdom-seeking, witchyĀ queendom.

Yeah, obvious choice here, as Dayni said.

The obvious choice is to side with the blatantly evil empire for the lolz and to see how many war crimes the game lets you commit while trying to justify your heinous actions with some backwards-ass logic that takes agency from you and throws it onto the evil bad guy.

But that's what I would do. Green strikes me as more your style.

1 minute ago, Saint Rubenio said:

...Man, I played Chrono Trigger up to the final boss and I don't remember this.

Me, I loved this soundtrack. I'd know most of it if I heard it off hand, with a couple I'd say are still timeless (Corridors of time being the most obvious one, but stuff like World Revolution or this too.)

Also, didn't know you'd played it.

36 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Any ideas which I should pick?Ā I'll keep it like the Holy Roman Emperor, nothing you noblemen proclaimĀ is law to me, but everything you say I'll consider as advice.

RED, because the other options are generic.

Just now, Saint Rubenio said:

The obvious choice is to side with the blatantly evil empire for the lolz and to see how many war crimes the game lets you commit while trying to justify your heinous actions with some backwards-ass logic that takes agency from you and throws it onto the evil bad guy.

Ruben gets it.

1 hour ago, Saint Rubenio said:

In the Sequel era, people prop up the originals and the prequels as the right way to do it.

In the Prequel era, people propped up the originals as the right way to do it.

In the Return of the Jedi era, people propped up the previous movie as the right way to do it.

Star Wars only has 2 good movies

3 minutes ago, Dayni said:

Me, I loved this soundtrack. I'd know most of it if I heard it off hand, with a couple I'd say are still timeless (Corridors of time being the most obvious one, but stuff like World Revolution or this too.)

Oh yeah, Chrono Trigger has an excellent soundtrack, definitely. I just don't remember where that plays lol.

3 minutes ago, Dayni said:

Also, didn't know you'd played it.

Yeah, but it was a really, really long time ago. Perhaps a little after Live a Live. And Live a Live is a game that I played ages ago. Though that one, I do remember quite clearly. Probably because I liked it more.

2 minutes ago, Newtype06 said:

Ruben gets it.

These types of choices tend to boil down to that.

2 minutes ago, Newtype06 said:

Star Wars only has 2 good movies

Empire and very arguably Revenge for me. Original is too shallow. The rest are a mess of bad writing and forced pandering. Simultaneously immensely overrated and overhated for a series so consistently mediocre.

Empire and very arguably Revenge for me. Original is too shallow. The rest are a mess of bad writing and forced pandering. Simultaneously immensely overrated and overhated for a series so consistently mediocre.

I must return some sanity back to this insane thread:

Ā 

Ruben spitting facts

I am

EXTREMELY

disappointed by the lack of flair added to "somehow Palpatine returned." Poe just said and they moved on, no jokes, no anything.

C'mon, Skywalker Saga, that's just sad. You got so much milleage out of Last Jedi. Heck, you had me wishing Holdo, of all people, had more screentime because I loved the gag you gave her! Where's all of that funny energy here?

17 minutes ago, Newtype06 said:

Ruben spitting facts

15 minutes ago, twilitfalchion said:

Ruben being exceedingly based saying Star Wars is overrated.

I appreciate the validation, guys.

Edited by Saint Rubenio

Yeah, but it was a really, really long time ago. Perhaps a little after Live a Live. And Live a Live is a game that I played ages ago. Though that one, I do remember quite clearly. Probably because I liked it more.

Meanwhile, I got CT legit when it came out in 09 (for the first time in Yurop) and.... well, guess I can do that with LiveALive now.

C'mon, Skywalker Saga, that's just sad. You got so much milleage out of Last Jedi. Heck, you had me wishing Holdo, of all people, had more screentime because I loved the gag you gave her! Where's all of that energy here?

If this is the part they do the least with I'll believe it's the devs being as despondent as myself.

Man, it's amazing how listening to just one song can give inspire you. WYBO entry incoming.

18 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

C'mon, Skywalker Saga, that's just sad. You got so much milleage out of Last Jedi. Heck, you had me wishing Holdo, of all people, had more screentime because I loved the gag you gave her! Where's all of that funny energy here?

Holdo? Laura Dern's character? What did they do with her?