Serenes Forest's Teehee Thread

MisterIceTeaPeach

6 minutes ago, Armagon said:

And an action game is different from an SRPG.

That has nothing to do with relying on a crutch, though. Abusing something like save states wouldn't prove i could actually play the game, it just tells me exactly the opposite.

It applies to any game, not just strategy.

• Replies 176k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Shrimpica

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

86 good, watch it everyone, no regrets. Lena GOAT

Although i think Sooks and Ruben would be more fans of Shin (the other MC). I like him, but i am more a fan of Lena

Edited by Shrimpolaris

38 minutes ago, lightcosmo said:

That has nothing to do with relying on a crutch, though. Abusing something like save states wouldn't prove i could actually play the game, it just tells me exactly the opposite.

It applies to any game, not just strategy.

Nah that depends. In an SRPG, a save state simply allows you to redo 1 turn instead of 10. Heck a lot of SRPGs do actually let you save at any point. Fire Emblem doesn't because permadeath, except when it does.

Save states in an action game during a boss or something actually would be a crutch.

Yeah, using a save state in an SRPG doesn’t actually mean you’re less skilled at the game, since even if you know what doesn’t work, you still have to figure out have to deal with whatever challenge you’re trying to tackle. Redoing stuff you’ve already proven you can do does not make you anymore skilled at the game than you were previously.

Damn. I did not know that Hidenori Shoji could do orchestral music so well.

...They'll localize Ishin eventually...

save states... hmm

I usually don't use them. The exceptions:

• Hacks and fangames, since then i don't know what to know or expect and the difficulty can be really bs or too much sometimes. Example: I used 5 turn save states while playing Garonquest. That was a nice compromise, i think
  • Playing on mobile, since then i just don't concentrate as much (and i usually play GBA hacks on mobile anyway, so it works out)
  • Sometimes...non-Berwick Fog Chapters (because only Berwick Fog is good Fog) or Thracia with it's bs later on. I just use emulator rewind then, but i try to not make a habit out of it.
Edited by Shrimpolaris

FREwzV9aMAA0Fmh?format=jpg&name=medium

For ~$11500, you can get a small statue with the factually wrong hair color.

Atelier-Sophie-2-life-size-statue-710x40

Not to be outdone, Koei Tecmo is going with a life-sized one-of-kind statue for ~$47190. Or a slightly less elaborate one-of-a-kind for a more affordable ~$33570.

Why the Very Unnecessary Merchandise arms race? 

----

I'm loving the wine history book. Splendidly written, the number of factoids I need to write down are too many, and I'm naught but 1/5th of the way into it.

I'm a little surprised some modern academic conferences are called "symposiums", when it's a Greek word meaning "drinking together". Referring to the formal drinking parties held by the Greek elite men in Antiquity. Parties where they chatted intellectual topics, had sex with dancing girls and young male servants, drank copious amount of wine, and tossed yet more wine at objects in ancient drunk party games. -Though the men claimed they never drank beyond modest intoxication, only: all barbarians, poor people, and every woman on Earth, drank to the point of irresponsible drunken debauchery, and thus none of these could be seriously trusted with wine. Wealthy Greek men are perfectly morally sound and would never overdo it on the vino.

4 hours ago, Armagon said:

Flip a coin. From what i've researched, the choice doesn't seem to matter too much, it really was just for the now defunct multiplayer aspect.

Thanks. I thought it could be as much, but wasn't sure. I think I'll go red then.

I'll be posting additional screenshots of the game as I start playing it tomorrow. You've put me in a Vanillaware mood of late, in addition to the 13S port and announcement of the GrimGrimoire modern port. I'll investigate how this entry in their catalog fares.

23 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Why the Very Unnecessary Merchandise arms race? 

because people will simp

I know i would for the stuff i like if i was capable lol

I like how enemies are starting to have 0 hit against half my team in this chapter (24). Just to really reinforce how mindless this game becomes.

Edited by Sooks

2 hours ago, Sooks said:

Yeah, using a save state in an SRPG doesn’t actually mean you’re less skilled at the game, since even if you know what doesn’t work, you still have to figure out have to deal with whatever challenge you’re trying to tackle. Redoing stuff you’ve already proven you can do does not make you anymore skilled at the game than you were previously.

You pick up FE knowing its all dice rolling: taking that out of the equation makes playing the game kinda pointless...

Edit: the second portion (about being more skilled than previously) thats not 100% true.

Edited by lightcosmo

10 minutes ago, lightcosmo said:

You pick up FE knowing its all dice rolling: taking that out of the equation makes playing the game kinda pointless...

Yeah, RNG makes it a little different.

10 minutes ago, lightcosmo said:

Edit: the second portion (about being more skilled than previously) thats not 100% true.

And yeah, that sort of depends on the game. But in FE, if a strategy for a map worked, unless it was insane luck, you’ll likely be fine doing the exact same thing to get to where you were (this also doesn’t account for RNG, but just speaking generally).

3 minutes ago, Sooks said:

Interesting how you get some cool dialogue if Ike survives a fight with the BK this chapter, since it’s actually physically possible.

Ike even has a unique death quote if the Burger King kills him this chapter.

I guess I can report on this chapter now. The 15 range Ballistae are still annoying. I also split my army in two, Ike, Soren, and Stefan heading west across the bridge, the rest going north across that one. I got to both the houses, routed everything but the Burger King, even had time to waste a turn getting all the talks with Geoffery. Also to make things funny the Green units kept getting crits this chapter (although one of the greenies would eventually die). Path of Radiance really is a breeze, reminds me of Sacred Stones, although Sacred Stones had that one chapter that took advantage of my terrible luck with Berserk Staff at one point to get me a few game overs.

The cool thing about Bastian joining this chapter is I get a free Stiletto, the best knife in the game, for Sothe. Bastian himself is also a more unique character than I’m used to, but I’m definitely not using an 11th hour prepromote… probably.

7 minutes ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

(although one of the greenies would eventually die)

I actually had to think for this, as their AI became oddly suicidal when they ran out of heals. I mean, all I had to do was have my invincible super units (read: my whole team) rescue them away, but that’s more than I was doing for the rest of the game.

@Saint Rubenio this is an aggravating softlock.

3 hours ago, Sooks said:

This 100%. 

It's why i don't vibe with roguelikes either.

2 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

You've put me in a Vanillaware mood of late, in addition to the 13S port and announcement of the GrimGrimoire modern port. I'll investigate how this entry in their catalog fares.

Do let me know how it goes.

1 hour ago, lightcosmo said:

All SRPGs have a degree of RNG to them.

HEY SO GUESS WHAT? TURNS OUT THAT GLITCH IS ONE OF THE GAME-BREAKING ONES! CAUSE I QUIT TO JUST REDO THE LEVEL BUT NOW THE LEVEL DOESN'T EXIST! AND IT TURNS OUT, IT'S JUST ONE OF THE MANY GLITCHES THAT CAN HAPPEN DURING LEVEL!

THERE IS NO WORKAROUND, IF ANY OF THOSE HAPPEN TO YOU, YOU'RE FUCKED!

I literally just have to wait until the devs patch this. Awesome.