Serenes Forest's Teehee Thread

MisterIceTeaPeach

n47kc12yotv81.jpg

20 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Neat Xenoblade 3 worldbuilding detail (but it involves major spoilers of both Xenoblade 1 and 2)

Hide contents

I found this on Twitter

FROjd-JWUAEqO23?format=jpg&name=large

Spoiler

Would be actually really cool.

Meany jrpg just go "God" (or whatever supernatural being. Pretty much all of them are just super OP humans) bad without even any other thing.

XBC2 is one of the few that doesn't go that way.

Having XB3 these views clashing and arriving at a balance wouldn't be bad, at all

• Replies 175.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Shrimpy -Limited Edition-

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

13 minutes ago, Shrimpolaris said:

n47kc12yotv81.jpg

I posted this two pages ago.

13 minutes ago, Shrimpolaris said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Would be actually really cool.

Meany jrpg just go "God" (or whatever supernatural being. Pretty much all of them are just super OP humans) bad without even any other thing.

XBC2 is one of the few that doesn't go that way.

Having XB3 these views clashing and arriving at a balance wouldn't be bad, at all

Spoiler

It is one of the speculated reasons for the conflict and it would be neat to see something like that.

Every Xenoblade game after 1 just retroactively improves the Zanza plot huh.

Edited by Armagon

Now, to begin the Grand Knights History! 

(I thought I recognized the name "Yoshifumi Hashimoto"- it's the man who invented Rune Factory. Marvelous publishing this instead of Vanillaware's usual partner Atlus would explain why.)

Going into spoilers b/c copious screenshots.:

Part 1- Recognition

Spoiler

Things start off after you make your kingdom allegiance choice with a knights tournament. During which, the monarch -the King Fausel Wald Logres in my case- takes an interest in the winning team, and asks the leader of the leading team.

ULJS00394-00006.jpg

I have to pick my name, joy. I tend to take forever thinking of a good, creative name, even if I forget how I invented it later. Names that lack creativity and don't look nor sound sufficiently natural, are names I simply will not stand.

It later turned out your character name isn't very important, you don't take part in battle, you don't even have a portrait.

Nonetheless, I didn't realize this in the moment, so I still ended up pouring an excessive amount of effort to thinking up something. Thankfully, I got an idea and perfect name in less than 10 minutes time.

ULJS00394-00007.jpg

Why this? Well, I'm playing a Vanillaware game, with a medieval fantasy setting.

• Velvet
  • Oswald
  • Mercedes
  • Cornelius
  • Ingway
  • Gwendolyn

I questioned how I should arrange the letters, I went with reverse book order because I couldn't process all the permutations and this looked organic enough. Ingway -the scrapped 6th hero- was included to provide another precious vowel.

And now...

ULJS00394-00008.jpg

to battle!

Obviously, I accept the tutorial.

The combat music is snappy BTW, I like it. Not top-tier, but it sure ain't bad.

ULJS00394-00009.jpg

"Archers deal extra damage to Wizards. Wizards do extra damage to Knights."

A little triangle encompassing all three classes of Grand Knights History.

The characters here are a pre-made team for the sake of teaching the basics. Being a tutorial, the fight itself is easily won in two turns. It tells you a little about each class's role.

ULJS00394-00015.jpgULJS00394-00016.jpgULJS00394-00020.jpg

Grand Knights History uses AP shared by the entire team, no individualized MP. I like it.

The default AP regeneration is 6 per turn, with a maximum of 12. You can have a character Wait and do nothing for a turn if you don't want them to use AP.

ULJS00394-00018.jpg

As you can see in the upper left, both sides in battle are placed on a 3x4 rectangle.

You can have a character spend their turn to Move to another tile on your side of the battlefield. I tried doing that with the second Knight they give you that's placed on in the column furtherest back. However...

ULJS00394-00021.jpg

It seems like that might be a questionable idea. -A little more on this later.

ULJS00394-00023.jpg

I used a damaging attack that just so happened to have a status ailment attached to it and the infliction landed. Ailments viable in this game?🤔 Please be true.

The tournament is won.

ULJS00394-00025.jpg

-Only now do I realize there actually is artwork of the avatar. Pretty generic tho'.

"Leader of the Knights" says everything. "You" never fight, you guide Knights who do the fighting for you, kinda like old FE7 Mark.

ULJS00394-00026.jpg

Another name entry!😃

ULJS00394-00027.jpg

Well this looks odd for the default-

ULJS00394-00028.jpg

-it's so long they can't display it all at once.

Unfortunately, I discovered this game has the same problem as Xenoblade Chronicles X with Skell naming. The default name exceeds the character limit the player has for replacement names. "LogresKnights" is 13 letters, I only get room for 8.

ULJS00394-00029.jpg

"Tharsian" as in "something from or like it's from Tharsis". Naming the knighthood reminded me of naming the guild in Etrian Odyssey, and my very first EO game was Etrian Odyssey IV: Legends of the Titan. Tharsis is the name of the hub city in that game.

ULJS00394-00030.jpgULJS00394-00031.jpgULJS00394-00032.jpgULJS00394-00033.jpg

And I'll stop right here.😀 I got plenty more introductory screenshots to get through. However, I want to take a breather for a moment. Though the weather be only 63F/17C outside, the plentiful sunshine is making it surprisingly warm. I want to enjoy it today, the temperature is going take another dip tomorrow.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

2 minutes ago, Armagon said:
Spoiler

Every Xenoblade game after 1 just retroactively improves the Zanza plot huh.

Spoiler

it was one of the worst things imo in XB1. Somehow i feel like if i played 2 first i wouldn't be so against it as 2 does it much much better,  and while still a bit out of nowhere, has whole chapters dedicated to it and how it came to be.

In XB1 it was prime asspull material xD

3 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Ailments viable in this game?🤔 Please be true.

They were vibale in Odin Sphere so maybe...

3 minutes ago, Shrimpolaris said:
  Hide contents

it was one of the worst things imo in XB1. Somehow i feel like if i played 2 first i wouldn't be so against it as 2 does it much much better,  and while still a bit out of nowhere, has whole chapters dedicated to it and how it came to be.

In XB1 it was prime asspull material xD

Spoiler

Oh no i agree, i'm just saying Zanza sucks less because of the connection to Klaus.

So far Exit Fate is good. It hasn't wowed me yet, but I haven't gotten completely bored with myself and quit to play something more engaging yet, either. Given how I am with JRPGs, I can call that a success. The plot's decently interesting so far, even if it hasn't really picked up so far, and the battles go by fast enough that they don't become too tedious.

...Besides, I couldn't run away from this game before getting that godforsaken cat. That's three times now that Daniel McSephiroth has let the damned thing run off to the other side of the map. It's like the sandwich in Disco Elysium, this is personal at this point. And how appropriate, given our regiment is called the Elysium Army.

23 minutes ago, Sooks said:

wsvGgbQ.png
I just find the fact that this is still happening 5 chapters from endgame funny. 

Path of Radiance.

22 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

You truly are Ruben's kouhai in training up Child Soldiers.

My wha?

Just now, Sooks said:

I like how Calil and Largo just exist.

It never hit me just how little availability Largo has. Like, holy shit, the man does not exist.

Wait, what? Not only is this a tiny, completely nothing chapter with barely by enemies, the boss actually moves? When it’s already kill boss? Welp, so much for this map existing.

1 minute ago, Sooks said:

Wait, what? Not only is this a tiny, completely nothing chapter with barely by enemies, the boss actually moves? When it’s already kill boss? Welp, so much for this map existing.

Well, if you 1-round, good.

Resolve activates in the middle of a combat and it can turn nasty. As in, it goes from you hurting him to him 1-rounding Haar.

Edited by Dayni