• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Shrimpica

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

55 minutes ago, Shrimpolaris said:

There're plenty good games with good stories out there, so it's not impossible. 

Even FE itself has the potential and have some really good written stuff out there, but then they have to add that FE touch of plot devicing doom.

Aye, but in the gaming world, there are few terrible stories, few good stories and an abundant of boring stories, so clearly something's up.

54 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Considering the genre of visual novels, this isn't always a concern.

Would you count visual novels as games? They're more like...well visual novels, you don't play them so much as you read through them.

Though the only VN I've read is DDLC so what do I know?

me lol

except the bathroom part ofc

11 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

I can only imagine how it goes.

"I hope I never see you again!"

*Some time later*

"Son/Daughter, I've decided to remarry... and look who is your new sibling!"

i read the first few chapters of the manga a while back and it's exactly like this lol

6 minutes ago, Newtype06 said:

How can you not like Kaga's instruments to kidnap and brainwash young ladies in this game?

Ugly bastard tag, too

Depending on where you live, today is Kirby's 30th anniversary! Happy birthday to the pink puffball.

Speaking of Kirby, in Forgotten Land I have Fire, Cutter, and Needle upgraded. I hope the future ability scrolls aren't too difficult to find... wait, Squeak Squad had ability scrolls too. I wonder if it's an intentional reference...

1 hour ago, Armagon said:

godzilla-king-of-the-monsters-king-ghido

I don't care about Edelgard's political reform, I just want to fight King Ghidorah!

3 minutes ago, GuardianSing said:

but in the gaming world, there are few terrible stories, few good stories and an abundant of boring stories, so clearly something's up

that's doesn't just apply to games tho

4 minutes ago, GuardianSing said:

Would you count visual novels as games? They're more like...well visual novels, you don't play them so much as you read through them.

dsmGaKWMeHXe9QuJtq_ys30PNfTGnMsRuHuo_MUz

well, some VNs do have gameplay elements.

36 minutes ago, Newtype06 said:

Sorry.thumb.png.5146195f8edd73764922c6cb2b32f879.png

Ah hell, I enjoyed the game even if it was essentially Brotherhood but with a much less interesting plot.

But I got to walk around Istanbul! Which is probably the number 1 city I'd travel to if I could, so that likely aided my enjoyment of it.

36 minutes ago, Newtype06 said:

I miss his original voice so much...

It's funny, the thing that made him sound off in the original game is the direct source to why his new voice sounds off in this game.

3 minutes ago, Shrimpolaris said:

Fair, fair.

4 minutes ago, Shrimpolaris said:

Ah, that's true. 

But I'm curious, in visual novels the main focus is likely the story so wouldn't you, the player, get annoyed by random gameplays sections that interrupt the story? Or do they tend to balance it pretty well?

5 minutes ago, GuardianSing said:

But I'm curious, in visual novels the main focus is likely the story so wouldn't you, the player, get annoyed by random gameplays sections that interrupt the story? Or do they tend to balance it pretty well?

I only played one such VN with gameplay (or 2 if that other one counts), and i didn't mind them honestly.

Gameplay can infact improve the story by involving you in it directly.

13 minutes ago, Shrimpolaris said:

Well, needs more plot choices that actually greatly changes the plot, but that's not wrong lol

If I recall correctly, this is basically what Digimon Survive is going to be.

https://vndb.org/p268

One of the more popular VN-gameplay devs.

I never played any of their games, but from what i hear they are usually pretty legit

The one i played with gameplay was:

https://vndb.org/v1306
https://vndb.org/v1913

Gameplay was serviceable enough. I had more problems with it's story (or rather, the pacing of it. Horrendous)

The other one that i dunno if it counts

https://vndb.org/v7719

Never finished it because gameplay got a bit on my nerves. Will someday tho

Edited by Shrimpolaris

FRT4hFeaUAAs2yw?format=jpg&name=large

Xenoblade moment is when the level 50+ enemies don't spawn in until after you've entered their lair.

As i was playing, i did start to wonder about something: we haven't seen how item collection will work Xenoblade 3 yet. All the combat footage has absolved my fears that we might regress and that was my main gameplay concern anyways but it would be nice to have confirmation on how we'll be collecting items.

58 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Nice. Then already, bookmark this:

https://akurasu.net/wiki/Super_Robot_Wars/30

Will do.

On the subject, i think i'll also go ahead and grab the Sakura Wars DLC pack once i actually start the game.

49 minutes ago, Newtype06 said:

This conversation is more about the Gharnef and Medeus archetypes that continue to be used by the franchise even when they shouldn't.

Yes and my point was that Shadow Dragon and Path of Radiance are the only games where those archtypes aren't a detriment to the story.

49 minutes ago, Newtype06 said:

They are well integrated in the story and fits its themes about the cicle of hate, sins of the father and how those who have a lot of power can use it to oppress people who don't.

My favorite part is when they immediately tank the story by turning it into FE plot #27.

And then Kaga did it again in TRS.

43 minutes ago, Shrimpolaris said:

zpCvJVi.png

Incest moment.

40 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

-With Vanillaware's stylish touch. Nothing impressive by their standards, likely due to a PSP, even with a modern emulator, being incapable of the HD magnificence I'v gotten used to. Beautiful, irrespective of limitations I shall nonetheless say.

Vanillaware truly are the masters of the 2D arts.

40 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

This seems like enough of an introduction. Now I can resume playing it.

Hope you enjoy it. I do plan on getting to it uh, eventually.

25 minutes ago, GuardianSing said:

Aye, but in the gaming world, there are few terrible stories, few good stories and an abundant of boring stories, so clearly something's up.

Oh that's entirely subjective. I'd say i have a pretty good track record of playing games with good plots, even if said plot wasn't the main focus of the game.

22 minutes ago, Lightchao42 said:

I hope the future ability scrolls aren't too difficult to find

They are fairly simple, tho two of them are a bit tricky to find.

22 minutes ago, Shrimpolaris said:

The truth of the matter is that there is simply way too much out there to make a definitive ratio. And once you develop your tastes, you'll generally be more exposed to stories you do like over the ones you don't.

23 minutes ago, Shrimpolaris said:

And those are the ones worth playing.

This has been your reminder to play 13 Sentinels, now available on Nintendo Switch.

17 minutes ago, GuardianSing said:

That honestly depends but i'd rather a VN with game than a VN with none.

3 minutes ago, Armagon said:

FRT4hFeaUAAs2yw?format=jpg&name=large

Xenoblade moment is when the level 50+ enemies don't spawn in until after you've entered their lair.

One of the best things about X, the load times!

9 minutes ago, Armagon said:

it would be nice to have confirmation on how we'll be collecting items

pls no more Flora heals an aching soul and the whole field lvl thing. That was pretty damn annoying ngl

And once you develop your tastes, you'll generally be more exposed to stories you do like over the ones you don't

This.

This has been your reminder to play 13 Sentinels, now available on Nintendo Switch.

I will probably go get my next switch game batch on XB3 release. 

But the selection will be pretty hard ngl. There are alot of games i wanna get this year

I will probably be able to get 5 games, but i have to take my brother's wishes into consideration as well.

I definetly want XB3 and 3Hopes. Kirby me and my brother want so we will get that to play together. Will have to see what else i can get.

That said, i usually switch games i finished (exception exist to party stuff (mario kart, smash etc.)  and games we really attached to, so for me FE and XB2 and for  brother Zelda), so we have some stuff we wanna switch (Origami king is one, Astral chain when i finish it is the other, and maybe mario odyssey when i fnish dark side of the moon), so we do have a room to get more stuff

Edited by Shrimpolaris

51 minutes ago, Benice said:

Today was the band performance.

Oh dear.

It did not go well.

Sorry to hear that. Hopefully you had fun along the way.

It sounds like @Sooks is about done with chapter 25, so I can give my little comments on that

Ah chapter 25, the chapter that screams use your vulneraries with its goofy 10 damage boulders. Killed the Japanese Meme boss turn two by drawing him in, chipping him with Blizzard, and then finishing with a flier (as he was still on the mountain at the time). Jill then soloed the top of the map while most of the others slogged their way up. This chapter having all the terrain be 2 movement cost for horses really did make that trek a slog for the meh units I am carrying around. Unfortunately most of my ponies have turned out rather bad with Macky probably being the best of them...

Side note, I have completed my ironman now, and spoiler alert, there will be another death before the end, so look forward to that.

58 minutes ago, Benice said:

Today was the band performance.

Oh dear.

It did not go well.

OOF

What happened? At least you escaped with your dignity intact, right?

49 minutes ago, GuardianSing said:

Ah hell, I enjoyed the game even if it was essentially Brotherhood but with a much less interesting plot.

But I got to walk around Istanbul! Which is probably the number 1 city I'd travel to if I could, so that likely aided my enjoyment of it.

Good choice

5 best spots for conservative tourism in Turkey | Daily Sabah

35 minutes ago, Shrimpolaris said:

One of the more popular VN-gameplay devs.

I never played any of their games, but from what i hear they are usually pretty legit

Hey, don't forget Alice Soft! Sengoku Rance is acclaimed by its gameplay, and other entries like Rance Quest are pretty well regarded too.

35 minutes ago, Armagon said:

My favorite part is when they immediately tank the story by turning it into FE plot #27.

The best FE plot still.

5 hours ago, lightcosmo said:

I dont mind them using "attacker-defender-healer" again, but I was hoping they would add roles as well.

Attacker-Defender-Healer are the three basic RPG combat roles though. Maybe "Supporter" can be considered a fourth, or as the real third, under which Healer is a subrole. Or, there are only two roles even- Attacker and Supporter, direct damage & non-damage. 

It's variety within the major 2-4 roles that matters.

Let's break down Xenoblade Chronicles 1. For an example.:

Spoiler
  • Shulk-
    • Attacker, with some emphasis on Positional Arts, which is a distinctive Xenoblade subrole of Attacker. 
    • Supporter- Monado Purge, Shield, Speed, and Armor. Also Light Heal, Break on two Arts, Topple and Daze via two others, and Slow on Air Slash too. A mix of buffs and debuffs and a tiny pinch of healing, all three being Support subroles.
  • Reyn-
    • Defender- Taking all the aggro, does this the very best of the XC1 crew. Facetanks with high HP to bear the pain more than he dodgetanks though. 
    • Attacker- Nothing out of the ordinary, it's pretty plain to utilize, no conditions. Unlike Shulk. Some of it helps to keep the aggro on him.
  • Sharla-
    • Supporter- Pure healing. Her offense is limited, her buffs are healing-related. Best at the job, but has little else.
  • Dunban-
    • Attacker- Some of the best damage around. Fairly easy to use too.
    • Defender- Can't take the aggro quite as well as Reyn, and has less HP, but he is the best dodgetank.
  • Melia-
    • Attacker- Summon Bolt is instant good damage, and Wind is alright. Yet, given Melia's fragility and their potency and low-aggro generation, Summon Flare/Ice/Earth and those damage-over-time inflictions are her bread and butter. All of this is Ether damage, which has its niche against certain enemy types. Very distinctive offense.
    • Supporter- Summon Aqua and Healing gift are weak healing, but the active passive bonuses from the other Elements are very useful! Starlight Kick and Burst End and Mind Blast are nifty too.
  • Riki-
    • Attacker- Has physical options, but they're pretty weak. Like Melia, he relies on damage-over-time from Burn, Poison, and Chill.
    • Supporter- Riki is eclectic here. He can't compete with Shulk, Sharla, and Melia in consistency. Yet Happy Happy! and You Can Do It! are good.
    • Defender- Terrible at aggro generation and can't equip Medium Armor without spending Affinity Coins, Heavy Armor is naturally off limit until very very late. Nonetheless, Riki has high HP, he can do some facetanking on the side.
  • Seven-
    • Attacker- Has a little bit of Positional like Shulk, and a sprinkling of good Ether in a primarily physical offense.
    • Defender- The Lock-On debuff means if the enemy doesn't resist it, they assuredly distract them for a bit. Their high offense attracts a lot of aggro already too. Has solid Agility for evasion to boot.

Now for XCX, going by weapon.:

Spoiler
  • Longsword- Purest, Deadliest Attacker (Melee/Potential Attacker, but Melee/Ranged/Potential doesn't make much a difference, enemies don't resist two and are weak to the other.)
  • Shield- Defender and some Supporter
  • Dual Swords- Attacker with a pinch of Supporter.
  • Javelin- Defender, with a mostly lacking mix of the other two roles.
  • Knife- Supporter, focused on debuffs and best of limited healing.
  • Photon Saber- Attacker, with some supportive healing and a Reflect Aura for Defender. 
  • Assault Rifle- Supporter, sorta Defender with a Taunt Art, and some usable offense even.
  • Gatling Gun- Attacker.
  • Dual Guns- Attacker par excellence with Ghostwalker/Factory for situation Defender via the Decoy buff.
  • Sniper Rifle- Attacker.
  • Raygun- Attacker and Supporter in the form of debuffs.
  • Psycho Launchers- Primarily Supporter with a mix of buff and debuff. Also a Defender with proper setup for Astral Protection.

Attacking is the easiest and most important role in any combat-oriented game, no surprise it's the predominant role.

3 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Turns out the enemies in the current area give a lot of money, so with just a tiny bit of superfluous running around, I was able to recruit the expensive veteran mercenary. His name is... uh, Outsider. Yeah. Outsider. I thought for sure it'd be replaced by something else once he told us his real name, but no, he's just Outsider. Though I did read somewhere a claim from a person that the creator of this game pulled a number of names for minor playables from users of a forum that he used to frequent, now defunct. I suppose that's why you've got folks like Mike and Outsider standing next to Ljusalf and Stromgaard. And Daniel. Seriously, what kind of a name is Outsider...?

Curse your misfortune for running into me!

-Aussenseiter is German literally meaning "Outsider", or "Underdog", or less literally "Dark Horse". The game tells you so.

I will not brook any insults to the name. (Though criticize the above wording if you wish, it's basically a machine translation. At least it's official.)

1 hour ago, Acacia Sgt said:

SRW 30 is currently 30% off in Steam. Offer lasts until May 9

You know I already have it. -But, I need a break from giant robots, as if my posting hasn't suggested that. -Ignore the sound of Trombe! in the background as I type this. Somebody got me in the mood for it again already. I've listened to OGs, GBA OG1, now I'm on Alpha 2's and will follow with Alpha 3's, I can appreciate the differences in flavor between the different black-on-red musical burgundies.😆

...And now it's auto-transitioned to Trombe!'s The Inspectors version. I wasn't aware this existed. Softly orchestral. Mmmmmmmmmm... I've discovered a new old delectable variety.😊

56 minutes ago, Lightchao42 said:

Depending on where you live, today is Kirby's 30th anniversary! Happy birthday to the pink puffball.

Darn it I forgot! Forgive me, oh Pink Puffball of Divine Wrath! I have your latest gift to humanity within inches of my left elbow. I am a true believer, spare me from thy insatiable stomach, that which embodies the true essence of the infinite and eternal!

2 minutes ago, Newtype06 said:

Hey, don't forget Alice Soft! Sengoku Rance is acclaimed by its gameplay, and other entries like Rance Quest are pretty well regarded too

ah yeah those too.

People i know swear on Rance, but like the normie i am i am a bit turned off by the "reputation" xD

Edited by Shrimpolaris

30 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

That's basically what the bulk of my Wii U storage is dedicated to. lol

Xenoblade 3: 15 GB

Xenoblade X: "lol amateur. Look at my 22 GB of game".

27 minutes ago, Shrimpolaris said:

pls no more Flora heals an aching soul and the whole field lvl thing. That was pretty damn annoying ngl

The method itself was fine. Torna collection points (without field skills)+XenoblaDE item tracking would be the ideal.

Kirby me and my brother want so we will get that to play together.

Kirby good, probably the best game i've played this year so far.

3Hopes

Let me know how that goes lol. I do not know yet if that's something i want to get.

1 minute ago, Newtype06 said:

Sengoku Rance is acclaimed by its gameplay, and other entries like Rance Quest are pretty well regarded too.

"What 06 failed to mention was that the Rance series is also hentai".

I mean, i ain't saying that's a bad thing, you do you, but that's a key piece of info.

1 minute ago, Armagon said:

I mean, i ain't saying that's a bad thing, you do you, but that's a key piece of info.

I mean, so are the stuff from other dev i posted before xD

2 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Let me know how that goes lol.

sure!

Sengoku Rance...

The only props I give is that they accurately portray Mouri Motonari as an old man. Like, dude was born in 1497, so seeing him young at 1615 Osaka in SW3 is like... LOL

Spoiler

Okay, granted, that happened in Okuni's story, where she's... soul collecting, more or less, so Motonari is likely only still "alive" because she lets him. Still...

Now, Yoshimoto Imagawa at Osaka, on the other hand...

9 minutes ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

Sorry to hear that. Hopefully you had fun along the way.

Thanks.

9 minutes ago, Newtype06 said:

OOF

What happened? At least you escaped with your dignity intact, right?

Aye, wasn't super disastrous; just a lot of sub-par playing for our group.

...Plus, almost everyone in the band is in Grade 10, but we were competing in the Gr. 11 category regardless. Just means that the other groups of the same category are a lot better than us both in terms of difficulty of repetoire and performance.

7 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Xenoblade 3: 15 GB

Xenoblade X: "lol amateur. Look at my 22 GB of game".

*Laughs in Lost Judgment's 44 GB filesize*