Serenes Forest's Teehee Thread

MisterIceTeaPeach

1 hour ago, Dayni said:

Well here it asks a different question to "All men are wiped out but me!" narratives (The crappy ones of those go for the, uh, obvious answer as to where to take it.). Hence why I'd like to know.

Artificial inseminations? It's not like the capability of the process ceases to be just because no one has the instinctual drive to prolong the species anymore.

• Replies 176k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Shrimpica

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

Two days ago, Exit Fate succeeded in making me sad by giving me a boring man instead of a cool coat lady. As punishment, I focused on getting to the end of Rogue Legacy 2 and sent Exit Fate to its room to think about what it did.

It's high time I returned to best JRPG, though.

QXAR8iMT_o.png

Pffffft!

Ahhh, it's good to be back.

Edited by Saint Rubenio

https://images2.imgbox.com/14/af/Gsw9PjoV_o.pnghttps://images2.imgbox.com/e9/36/rNL4Hdji_o.png

At this point, it would surprise me more if the vampire wasn't playable.

...Like the coat lady! What was that, game?! You've let me have everything! Everything! Even a literal demon! And you won't let me have a cool coat lady? For shame! She would've been good pals with Nikolai and his cool green coat!

Ah, whatever. What's done is done. No game is perfect. Honestly, if I get to the end and that's the most objectionable part of this game, I can safely give it the favorite JRPG distinction.

EDIT:

https://images2.imgbox.com/d4/6a/Sar32QyK_o.pnghttps://images2.imgbox.com/6f/79/Agecbm4U_o.png

Yeah, figures.

I love this game. Have I mentioned that before?

Edited by Saint Rubenio

56 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Luckily, I don't believe there's more of these "you need this enemy alive" shenanigans left. Leif can slaughter to his heart's content!

Well... there's no more chapters ending with 8 either.

56 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Leif's promotion doesn't seem like much until you realize it doesn't lower his experience gains. He basically just resets his levels while gaining a boost of stats. He can become a powerhouse in just a map or two afterwards. Just another instance of Leif being Roy-tier on the surface, but really being much better when you think about it. How people ever argued that he's worse than Roy is beyond me. Just the way Thracia works benefits him greatly.

...Of course, on that subject - Thracia lategame being what it is, Leif's shiny new stats don't help him much, because two maps later you start to really want to warpskip everything. All the power to ya if you choose not to do this, however. I tried chapter 21 semi-legit once (I say semi because I employed some save states) and it was horrible.

We'll see how I go. I've barely touched the warp staves as yet. I warped Asbel in chapter 17a to get rid of some ballisticians. He was more than capable of dealing with the nearby armors because... well I gave him vantage. Figured he can one shot most generics at this point... so it's more of an adVantage to Add vantage to him than someone like Mareeta or Olwen.
All the same... I can't ever remember Roy being this useful. There's been points were I've felt like I'd been running the overpowered Ike just because Leif's been doing so well. Mind he's hardly my best unit. But you know, scrolls and all.

Fergus has capped strength and skill, 17 defense (mounted), 17 speed, 6 magic (can you tell he's been using Ced's scroll?) and 15 luck, and 15 con.
Halvan has 14 strength, 2 magic, 15 skill and 15 speed and 10 luck. But what's special is he hit 18 defense the moment he promoted. 16 cpn here.
I can't remember Othin's exact stats, but I know he's got 16 strength and capped speed. He's about 14 skill and luck. I think he had 3 magic. He procced move once. Not as good as Halvan for defense. Marginally better for offense. Also able to capture more at 18 con.
Finn has 16 strength, 18 skill, 20 speed, 11 luck, 12 defense.. and 2 magic (off memory). After seeing him with 12 speed through much of FE, that's poetic.
Asbel is... as one would expect good. 20 magic. 19 skill. 20 speed. 18 Luck. No strength to speak of, 6 defense. A whopping 12 con despite being a mage. 8 move. And thanks to scrolls and a life ring... 49 HP.  He gets a lot of experience due to being the boss killer. Kaga sure loves his wind mages. I have now experienced four broken ones in a row on the SNES.

54 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

You know stats are trivial to max.

Though 14 Def unpromoted is still very good on Leif. (Mine got like 2 early Mov procs instead.)

Mine had to settle for the leg ring. No regrets on that though. He's got the stats to make use of the extra move.. and it helps him seize faster if I need him to. Plus who else could use it every map?

57 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

You got the recruit from the depths of Hell? Without save states? Congrats!😃

I'd like to say it was frustrating... but one reset isn't too bad. I got really lucky. Or the game was throwing me a bone after I murdered Misha last chapter enough times that I gave up on trying to save her from herself. "No don't start killing recruitable units. Have this one after less resets". Now I got to do the game again sometime. I want to say I recruited everyone in Thracia. Which means at least two more runs thanks to the route split.

2 hours ago, The Roger The Paladin said:

And now he's promoted. His promotion gains may not be much, but with him having 45 HP (partially from a stat booster), 15 strength, 13 skill, 16 speed, 14 luck, and 14 defense prior he doesn't need them to be. My Leif was blessed or at least on par in any stat bar magic (his entire magic stat being from rings barring the point on promotion) at level 20. Or at least benefited from the fact I tended to make sure he had as many scrolls as possible on levelling. Now he can get levels again I don't have to hold him off as much as I have been... and I can take full advantage of his lack of fatigue. He's earned that promotion. His only fault if he's too prone to killing enemies when I don't want him to in chapters ending in an 8.

That's a pretty solid Leif by the sounds of it.

And that's far from the worst flaw in the world either.

1 hour ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

That's RF tradition going back to RF1. Because, rainbow.🌧️

Best watering can has a ❤️ design instead.

Don't read anything into it.😉

I wasn't planning on it.

1 hour ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Artificial inseminations? It's not like the capability of the process ceases to be just because no one has the instinctual drive to prolong the species anymore.

The fact that this story about straight people being oppressed won't explain how they avoid straight sex is insufficient worldbuilding and ruins my fanta- perfectly good story! /s

1 hour ago, Saint Rubenio said:

https://images2.imgbox.com/14/af/Gsw9PjoV_o.pnghttps://images2.imgbox.com/e9/36/rNL4Hdji_o.png

At this point, it would surprise me more if the vampire wasn't playable.

What's with the Dante but a vamp knockoff?

37 minutes ago, The Roger The Paladin said:

All the same... I can't ever remember Roy being this useful. There's been points were I've felt like I'd been running the overpowered Ike just because Leif's been doing so well. Mind he's hardly my best unit. But you know, scrolls and all.

Leif > Roy all week

30 minutes ago, Dayni said:

That's a pretty solid Leif by the sounds of it.

And that's far from the worst flaw in the world either.

It says a bit my biggest concern on having him use the sleep sword was that he'd crit one of the leonster armours to death. Which was a justified concern, not just because of Rumei having trouble with the same... but the fact he literally did exactly that the first time I tried it.

4 hours ago, The Roger The Paladin said:

We'll see how I go. I've barely touched the warp staves as yet.

That's normal. Thracia is okay, until chapter... 20, I think. That's when the game starts actively encouraging that you skip it by making the maps horrendously tedious and/or unfairly difficult.

Fergus has capped strength and skill, 17 defense (mounted), 17 speed, 6 magic (can you tell he's been using Ced's scroll?) and 15 luck, and 15 con.

I have never used Fergus. Who needs Fergus? Hicks joins a short three maps later!

Kaga sure loves his wind mages.

Maruj in shambles.

I'd like to say it was frustrating... but one reset isn't too bad. I got really lucky. Or the game was throwing me a bone after I murdered Misha last chapter enough times that I gave up on trying to save her from herself. "No don't start killing recruitable units. Have this one after less resets". Now I got to do the game again sometime. I want to say I recruited everyone in Thracia. Which means at least two more runs thanks to the route split.

No, you see, what happened is actually Xavier saw you murdering Misha from the castle's window, and decided to perform a ritual to channel the power of Ward's Endgame Ready Beard into his own beard. He then used his newfound power to skew the RNG in his favor so that he'd live.

3 hours ago, Dayni said:

What's with the Dante but a vamp knockoff?

He's rad. Tied for the final recruitable character with another guy whose sidequest becomes available at the same time and is also recruited at the very end of it. Honestly, a literal vampire is a good way to cap off this game's streak of positively hilarious characters.

3 hours ago, Dayni said:

Leif > Roy all week

The good ol' days of FE. When we thought growths triumphed over all and Leif was the worst lord in FE for... some reason. I honestly don't get how we ever perceived that Roy could be beaten by anyone in badness, literally everything is against him lol. The light brand alone allows Leif to dance circles around Our Boi.

17 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

The light brand alone allows Leif to dance circles around Our Boi.

But that Binding Blade tho

8 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Ehhhh, I liked the other ones more.

But if the second game is superior to the first one in every way, is there any reason to play the first one now?

6 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Hah, of course. Here, have another one. It's slower and more somber than the other two, but that doesn't make it bad, just different. Hope you like it also.

This is also quite good, but I need to save some good tracks for myself to discover in-game…

Edited by Sooks

24 minutes ago, Newtype06 said:

But that Binding Blade tho

Ah yes, 20 uses over the course of two maps. And his stats are so shitty and he's so underleveled that it doesn't even make him any more effective than the rest of his army.

Idun is literally the only place in the entire game where Roy is legitimately useful. And that's just really sad.

14 minutes ago, Sooks said:

Ehhhh, I liked the other ones more.

Fair.

But if the second game is superior to the first one in every way, is there any reason to play the first one now?

RL1 is a nice piece of history. For years I thought it was awesome. And don't get me wrong, it definitely is an excellent game on its own rights. But playing RL2, I often found myself thinking, "wow I had no idea Rogue Legacy could be this much better." That speaks volumes, doesn't it?

The second game is similar at its core, just improved tenfold, with all of the mistakes polished out, the good things made gooder, and tons of player feedback from a year of Early Access addressed. There's not much of a story connection, either - both games have very little in the way of an ongoing plot, but RL1 also didn't have much lore, with only a single character getting any background or development at all. The only story/lore connections between the two are a few throwbacks here and there - the kind that makes veterans go "oh that's super cool!" but doesn't impact the experience of newcomers much.

In a few words, at this point in time, you don't play RL1 first because it's the first game - you play RL2 first because it's the full realization of the concept's potential, and then if you really like it, you go back to RL1 to see where it all started, how far the devs have come and to understand the throwbacks.

This is also quite good, but I need to save some good tracks for myself to discover in-game...

Say no more, I'll stop now.

Edited by Saint Rubenio

What if you were one character away from the full roster

But this one boss stood in your way and was a massive dickhead.

Jesus Christ, Fukubei. He doesn't even join, either, he's just here to be a massive shithead with too much HP in a game where every other boss so far has had very reasonable HP.

24 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Idun is literally the only place in the entire game where Roy is legitimately useful. And that's just really sad.

Can't beat the game without seizing. S tier, 11/10, best unit in the series because there's literally more thrones to seize than there are chapters in the game.

I find that he has some value in the earlygame. You're short on hands, and the Rapier lets him deal some good chip damage vs Cavaliers. But eh.

So, in two hours we'll see if the UK, Spain and Germany's acts are terrible. Also if Ireland is out at the semi final again, hitting a decade since the last time they reached a final.... which would be true but for the song that was about happy lads being gay together. The fact I forgot that should say something.

(How did I forget that? Part of the Convenient Narrative I suppose.)

Well, I wrote that before the semi-final. As expected Ireland did not get in, with me debating if it was that bad again. Then again, the only track that was above "S'alright" was Belgium's anyway. And the UK, Spain and Germany didn't send another I Don't Feel Hate between them. Which is disappointing.

So here, the closest thing. It didn't make it to the final.

46 minutes ago, The Roger The Paladin said:

It says a bit my biggest concern on having him use the sleep sword was that he'd crit one of the leonster armours to death. Which was a justified concern, not just because of Rumei having trouble with the same... but the fact he literally did exactly that the first time I tried it.

Leif playing Doom in his head when you want him playing Pokemon.

1 hour ago, Saint Rubenio said:

The good ol' days of FE. When we thought growths triumphed over all and Leif was the worst lord in FE for... some reason. I honestly don't get how we ever perceived that Roy could be beaten by anyone in badness, literally everything is against him lol. The light brand alone allows Leif to dance circles around Our Boi.

I never thought that Leif was worse, though admittedly I didn't get to him at all until a few years after BB.

28 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

In a few words, at this point in time, you don't play RL1 first because it's the first game - you play RL2 first because it's the full realization of the concept's potential, and then if you really like it, you go back to RL1 to see where it all started, how far the devs have come and to understand the throwbacks.

Jokes on you, I'm going to play 1 first anyway.

2 minutes ago, ping said:

I find that he has some value in the earlygame. You're short on hands, and the Rapier lets him deal some good chip damage vs Cavaliers. But eh.

Rapier adds 10 Mt against cavs and armour. He's unlikely to double cavs so he only decently benefits off that with armours at doing more than chip.

Eliwood would have lower thresholds to double I suspect, so would get the +5 twice more often.

6 minutes ago, Dayni said:

Rapier adds 10 Mt against cavs and armour. He's unlikely to double cavs so he only decently benefits off that with armours at doing more than chip.

Eliwood would have lower thresholds to double I suspect, so would get the +5 twice more often.

Well, yeah. But you really don't have a ton of great options vs. the cavs in chapter 4, for example. Marcus with a Silver Lance, and that's about it, unless Lot is feeling lucky. And Rutger once he joins, I guess. Roy dealing, what, 12 damage vs. a cav is genuinely valuable.

9 minutes ago, ping said:

Can't beat the game without seizing. S tier, 11/10, best unit in the series because there's literally more thrones to seize than there are chapters in the game.

Too true. How could I make such a lapse in judgment.

9 minutes ago, ping said:

Problem is, he has WTD against 75% of the things the rapier is effective against. The rapier's might is so low that WTD cripples his damage, and of course, he eats a mean hit in return. The thing would be genuinely great in chapter 4 specifically, buuuuut nomads are immune. So it isn't. And what's Roy doing with an iron sword, exactly? Shank a brigand? Marcus, Allen, Lance, Deke and both axemen can do that already, more effectively and taking less damage in return.

Honestly, Roy's earlygame utility is more comparable to friggin' Wolt. Lame chip damage here and there. Only you can't bench him after chapter 6, he has to stick around the entire game and be useless. And if you go out of your way to use Wolt, he's better simply because he can promote.

Poor Roy. I mean, the argument can be made that it fits his character more, but... Wow, the guy's just no fun to have around at all.

10 minutes ago, Dayni said:

So, in two hours we'll see if the UK, Spain and Germany's acts are terrible.

That is not an if, that's a when. The question is, who gets the crown of shit?

11 minutes ago, Dayni said:

Jokes on you, I'm going to play 1 first anyway.

Hey, fair enough! Rogue Legacy 1 may just be Rogue Legacy 2 but tinier and worse, but it's still a damn good game. Could certainly do worse than that!

5 minutes ago, Dayni said:

WTD interferes with effective bonuses. All unpromoted Knights are lance users, as are many of the cavaliers. His 15 Mt Rapier is only 12 against those guys, and WTD also makes him more liable for eating a counterblow if he isn't finishing a weakened enemy off. Roy isn't exactly super dodgy or have skin made of titanium, so he won't like somebody making a counter-stab at him.

Oh and @Dayni since the days when I played it the most, RL1 officially incorporated a rebalance mod called Lament of Zors as an optional game mode. I played around with it a bit, though I didn't quite finish it, but it improves the game a lot in many areas. Not to the point of RL2, of course, but it's certainly another thing to consider for RL1.

7 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Problem is, he has WTD against 75% of the things the rapier is effective against. The rapier's might is so low that WTD cripples his damage, and of course, he eats a mean hit in return. The thing would be genuinely great in chapter 4 specifically, buuuuut nomads are immune. So it isn't. And what's Roy doing with an iron sword, exactly? Shank a brigand? Marcus, Allen, Lance, Deke and both axemen can do that already, more effectively and taking less damage in return.

Honestly, Roy's earlygame utility is more comparable to friggin' Wolt. Lame chip damage here and there. Only you can't bench him after chapter 6, he has to stick around the entire game and be useless. And if you go out of your way to use Wolt, he's better simply because he can promote.

Poor Roy. I mean, the argument can be made that it fits his character more, but... Wow, the guy's just no fun to have around at all.

BinBla's earlygame is sufficiently tight that Roy's minor contributions are still valuable. Shanking a brigand may mean that a mounted unit can make better use of their movement, for example. The Axe bros do not have good accuracy against non-Lance users. And 10 points of damage against an enemy cav (which is what base Roy does to a ch.4 lance cav) is 10 damage against a dangerous enemy type. This isn't BlaBla or SacSto where everything a non-Marcus/Seth character does on the first ten maps is just self-improvement while Papa Jeigan does the actual work.

15 minutes ago, ping said:

Well, yeah. But you really don't have a ton of great options vs. the cavs in chapter 4, for example. Marcus with a Silver Lance, and that's about it, unless Lot is feeling lucky. And Rutger once he joins, I guess. Roy dealing, what, 12 damage vs. a cav is genuinely valuable.

15 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

15 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

WTD interferes with effective bonuses. All unpromoted Knights are lance users, as are many of the cavaliers. His 15 Mt Rapier is only 12 against those guys, and WTD also makes him more liable for eating a counterblow if he isn't finishing a weakened enemy off. Roy isn't exactly super dodgy or have skin made of titanium, so he won't like somebody making a counter-stab at him.

All true.

Roy does have pretty decent accuracy with the Rapier even through WTD, but Roy contributing chip is still exactly as described though. And in a game where that's what plenty can do at best that doesn't make him stand out that much, especially with the frailty in mind. And the nomads, who he'd benefit from not getting countered by ignore effectiveness for.... some reason.

For those armours, Roy getting potentially +20 on the armours would be decent enough for him to do but he loses +6 to that and makes the case for him fighting them worse than it already is when others already exist who can do better.

Okay, so, won the Food festival! Though I wasn't going to cut it... but still scored thousands of points higher than 2nd place. XD

I pretty much blitzed through the last two areas of the Floating Empire. At last, the path to the final boss is open! I did considered to spend a few days gearing up, but the game was denying me a lot of Platinum drops, so after getting a Platinum Shield and Sword I was like "Ah, forget it!", and decided to just end Act 2 right there and then! Of course, for this I decided to bring monsters. I chose Ambrosia and a Silver Wolf (the one who joins you at the Sechs Territory if you give it food) for this.

So, the fight against Ethelberd... well, ironically enough the hardest part for me was the first phase of the fight. The monsters... could hit hard but once Ethelberd unleashed his strongest attacks they went down quickly. In the end I had to resort to only attack him when he's casting his big AoE attack, thanks to the portals to get behind him and avoid it. After that... well, I just let Venti deal with the second part of the fight. Then the second phase was a breeze, and as for Ethelwill... well, the only issue was it spending more time out of reach, heh. So in the end, I persevered! At last, after years, I've beaten Act 2 of RF4 once again!

Now, I don't know if this is new to the Special edition, or because I never married before finishing Act 2... but it was nice a touch to see the likes of the siren and the Obsidian Mansion ghosts in the ending montage.

Now... well, what the heck, gonna trigger Act 3 ASAP. I actually still have a Town Event active... considering the game skips one full year... makes for a funny image depending on the event. I'm in no rush, considering Rune Prana... a ha ha ha ha... that's going to take a LONG while. I'll focus on crafting gear then, until I can actually tackle it. But well, all this will be for next time. Just beating Ethelwill was enough RF4 for me today.

Also, I couldn't help but laugh at the narration saying how with their Emperor dead the Sechs Empire is going to go through a change that Arthur hopes will be a positive one.

*Sees what became of the Empire in RF5*

Yeah, about that...

Edited by Acacia Sgt

So I went ahead and beat two bosses of RL2 in one life by throwing spoons at them really hard instead. Man, it's so liberating not to have to 1-hit them anymore.

15 minutes ago, ping said:

BinBla's earlygame is sufficiently tight that Roy's minor contributions are still valuable. Shanking a brigand may mean that a mounted unit can make better use of their movement, for example. The Axe bros do not have good accuracy against non-Lance users. And 10 points of damage against an enemy cav (which is what base Roy does to a ch.4 lance cav) is 10 damage against a dangerous enemy type. This isn't BlaBla or SacSto where everything a non-Marcus/Seth character does on the first ten maps is just self-improvement while Papa Jeigan does the actual work.

Fair enough, I suppose, but Roy's hitrate is more unreliable than ideal with WTD, and the hits he eats in return are brutal. He's just not a good unit early on, and then chapter 7 arrives and he's never good again. Outside like, chapter 10, but that chapter is a glorified training grounds, and any unit benefits more from dedicated training than Mr. I Can't Promote Until The Potentially Final Chapter.

3 minutes ago, Shrimpolaris said:

Leif is the best example of "How to not design a lord"

How to never design a lord, even.

The worst

...Huh? How's that? Please elaborate.

Edited by Saint Rubenio