Serenes Forest's Teehee Thread

MisterIceTeaPeach

14 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

think at this point I think we just have to accept you have different FE standards from others in this thread. Which is why I never tried debating with you, persuasion should only be attempted if it has a chance to succeed. -If the goal one assigns to argument is persuasion in the first place.

Oh yes, i'm not actually like seriously engaging in this. Like Ruben said, it can be fun to debate but at the end of the day, Personal Experience Means Everything. 

• Replies 176k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Shrimpica

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

rk0ue8p586z81.png

Funny how that works.

2 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Good work, man! Hope you do get selected, that'd be great news.

9 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Congrats man.

Considering my tendency to fall at interview stage, this is a nice change of pace.

Thanks.

2 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Also love the spin on the Lilina thing

This has been around since the Berwick LP, I just didn't have enough of a reason to find it again before.

32 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

May you enter the workforce with a tolerable form of employment whose tolls and tedium are outweighed by sufficient income and a sense of independence and increased self-satisfaction!😃

Well, we'll see how that goes if and when it does.

8 hours ago, BrightBow said:

Fergus has that whole 5 PCC thing going. He requires very little work to reach 100% crit.

True. My one also happens to have Sol and Adept due to the fact I figured he'd put those scrolls to better use than anyone else with his 20 skill and constantly high attack speed.
But...  my Leif has movement that puts even my mounted units to shame at this point.... and he keeps it on indoor maps. With 13 move, he can skip a ballista or siege tome's range entirely if they're not carefully positioned to prevent him doing just that, or in the siege tome's case mobile. Also, being Leif he's the only unit who can't fatigue. If I were under the impression this was normal instead of freakish RNG... I'd think everyone who called him bad were insane.

7 hours ago, ping said:

That's all fair.

What annoys me a little in the occasional "LOL ROY" discussions is that he's singled out as so much worse than any other lord, while his status as "below average, but not rock bottom" isn't too different from Eliwood, (in particular no-Lyn-Mode-)Lyndis, and arguably even Eirika. Just for the sake of argument, the BinBla characters that I consider to be worse than Roy (without putting too much thought into it) are

• Wolt, Bors, Wade, (Chad), Dorothy, Barth, OJ, Wendy, Cath, Sophia, Hugh, Karel.

That's 11 (12 if you separate Chad the combat unit from Chad the walking lockpick) characters that I'd confidently call worse, plus a couple that I consider same-ish in utility. Compared to that, BlaBla characters that I think are worse than Eliwood and Lyn:

• Rebecca, Bartre, Wil, Wallace, Nino, Karla, Renault.

So, 11 out of 54 playable characters (courtesy of our friendly neighborhood @Interdimensional Observer), or 20%, are worse than Roy, while 6 out of 43 characters, or 14%, are worse than Eliwood and Lyn.

Obviously, there's plenty room for disagreement about the exact placements - I never find room for Garret on my team, for example, so I'd put him below Roy in a personal ranking; others will probably say that Dorcas's earlygame isn't as valuable as Eliwood and Lyn's eventual good performance if you promote them - but I think that the TL,DR: "Roy, like several other lords, is a below-average unit in his game" stands. He just happens to be below-average in a game with more powerful enemies than BinBla and SacSto present.

(And it's very possible that I missed some obvious "worse than the lord" candidates for either game. I just skimmed down the lists of characters and picked the ones that I immediately thought would qualify)

There's some lords I'd geniunely argue cop a rougher time combatwise on the highest difficulty than Roy. Look at Shadow Dragon's version of Marth. H5 is geniunely really rough on the guy. Granted, he doesn't get screwed into staying stagnant for multiple chapters because he doesn't have a promotion and gets extra levels instead. But at least Roy can wreck his final boss thanks to the binding blade, whereas H5 Medeus is much nastier to Marth. Marth also has some of the same difficulties with a lance heavy game.. though not as much as Roy due to hit rates being less shaky. The catch is, Marth can open chests... which gives him a more universal niche even if you don't train him than Roy has. He also gives support bonuses to a few units.. including the wing spear wielding boss wrecker that is Caeda, and other useful units like Abel, Cain, Catria, Merric, Wendell, Tiki and/or Nagi. Roy's supports are limited a bit more by the way supports function in the GBA games. My point is, the problem with Roy isn't so much his growths or stats or caps relative to anyone else. It's that Binding Blade's unique quirks combined with (or perhaps in cases causing) it's relative difficulty is what harms him most. I daresay, if you transplanted him into Sacred Stones or even FE7 the same way Lyn was transplanted into Binding Blade in that one Mekkah video... he'd benefit immensely from being in a less demanding game. So I like to think of it as less "Roy is bad" and more "Roy fought against all odds and still came out on top". Which is the mark of a hero.

6 hours ago, Dayni said:

Leif is fresh out of mercy and decided that horses are for losers.

Which is kind of a point when dismounting penalties and ridersbanes exist. All the advantages of a horse... and none of the drawbacks. Particularly useful... considering how I'm aware the last three maps are all indoors... as are parts of chapter 20 and 21x.

5 hours ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

I think staff utility would push Renault and Nino above Lyn for me (then again my HHM no-Lyn mode got to the point where they were the only staff units left, so my fringe experiences might be skewing things a bit...). I would also probably add Dorcas to this list as well. God only knows where I would put Eliwood in any kind of list though...

Tell me about it. I've ran the kind of Eliwood who had 18 defense before promotion (though he never got another point after having him that bulky early game was nice), and the type who was stuck at 12 strength come endgame. I have seen the extremes. Hell, I had an Ike in Path of Radiance once who got stuck at 8 strength at level 20. Promotion and all the energy drops fixed him. But point is, this kind of oddity is why I like randomized growths. "Bad units" can turn out so amazing you wouldn't believe they were bad, guys like Ike can get screwed so hard that you'd question whether people were playing the same game if not for past experience. You can know the story so well you can recite it, but you can never be certain of growth rates.

1 hour ago, Armagon said:

I will always tell the tale of my first FE7 playthrough where Hector sucked so bad that by endgame he was only a Lv.7 Lord. Why? Dude had worse aim than a Stormtrooper. 

And my first Fe7 playthrough Dorcas was my most dependable boss killer and would one round everything. Except the Fire Dragon. You have no idea how much denial I was in when I was told he's bad. Subsequent playthroughs taught me a lesson.

1 hour ago, Armagon said:

This is like the same argument people use against training Ests. 

To be fair... I have legit trouble putting in the effort to train an Est in most games. It tends to mean dropping off an Established member of the team... for growths you can Estimate will be high, but can't be sure of. If Titlyu didn't have kids... she'd have added less to my FE4 run than Arden or Hannibal... and I didn't even have to kick anyone for her. Just slow down a little.
I think Gaiden/Echoes were the only games I really felt like it because... well you get to field most of your army outside dungeons. And OG Gaiden was kind of grindy anyway.
Also the postgame. The postgame in Echoes really benefited from Est type units.

Is cloudfare being a pain for anyone else?

1 hour ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

A little later than expected. I don't have NSO at all, and this was an inevitable inclusion ofc, but it's still nice to see it on here. I had a physical game guide (which oddly never mentioned the true final boss) and played through the whole thing at least twice -minus never defeating the untrue final boss. Nowadays, creative visual design aside, Kirby is slooooooooow, and everything looks rigid, I don't think I could replay it. The fruit-collecting minigame was very popular in my family though, that would still totally hold up.😄

There's something amusing to see the game get relabeled to T rating and see the "Blood" and "Violence" labels there. Like, not "Cartoon Violence" that some other games have. Just "Violence".

21 minutes ago, The Roger The Paladin said:

Is cloudfare being a pain for anyone else?

Yeah, this morning I almost couldn't make a post because the thing kept getting stuck.

1 hour ago, Acacia Sgt said:

There's something amusing to see the game get relabeled to T rating and see the "Blood" and "Violence" labels there. Like, not "Cartoon Violence" that some other games have. Just "Violence".

Kirby is now being considered as violent as he truly is.

1 hour ago, The Roger The Paladin said:

Which is kind of a point when dismounting penalties and ridersbanes exist. All the advantages of a horse... and none of the drawbacks. Particularly useful... considering how I'm aware the last three maps are all indoors... as are parts of chapter 20 and 21x.

Not that many ridersbanes I thought, but yeah, Leif is charging ahead and expects them to keep up.

34 minutes ago, Dayni said:

Kirby is now being considered as violent as he truly is.

All those American covers were right after all!

NG+ of Rogue Legacy 2 beat. Not having to no-hit the bosses made it a breeze, I only ever died against three bosses. Of course, I was lenient with myself and set up an easy NG+. Better change that for the next cycle.

Whew, got both of my standardized tests for the year out of the way. Two perfect scores, let’s go.

Of course, I have final exams for Governor’s School, which will probably be way harder, but I’ll take what I can get.

6 hours ago, The Roger The Paladin said:

To be fair... I have legit trouble putting in the effort to train an Est in most games. It tends to mean dropping off an Established member of the team... for growths you can Estimate will be high, but can't be sure of.

Don't have to worry about dropping an established member of the team if you already plan ahead of time to use the Est.

Tbf tho.....i think we all run into deployment issues haha.

6 hours ago, Acacia Sgt said:

It's because Zero Two (not the anime girl) has blood and having blood automatically bumps your game up to a T rating unless said blood isn't red.

2 minutes ago, Sooks said:

Whew, got both of my standardized tests for the year out of the way. Two perfect scores, let’s go.

Wow. That's really impressive...

Why is literally everyone I know an overachiever? One of my friends got 102% in AP Math this year, and now you aced the SATs?!

---

Happy birthday @whase and @Eternal Song!

12 minutes ago, Sooks said:

Of course, I have final exams for Governor’s School, which will probably be way harder, but I’ll take what I can get.

Wow amazing! I didnt even take 90% of mine...

10 minutes ago, Benice said:

Wow. That's really impressive...

Why is literally everyone I know an overachiever? One of my friends got 102% in AP Math this year, and now you aced the SATs?!

Not an SAT, they’re way, WAY easier. Well, the math is. Our history was full of stupid questions.

But thank you!

Edited by Sooks

6 minutes ago, Sooks said:

Not an SAT, they’re way, WAY easier.

Oh.

...I guess the fact that we don't get standardized tests over here shows.

6 minutes ago, Sooks said:

Our history was full of stupid questions.

Huh, how so?

---

I was at an 86% in Marine Bio, and I just goot 79% on my test.

...My grade went up to 88%. Stonks.

Edited by Benice

3 minutes ago, Benice said:

Huh, how so?

I don’t really remember, it’s been a bit since I took the test. A lot of questions were confusingly worded and focused on stuff we never directly covered instead of the concepts/ideas we actually used to answer those questions.

30 minutes ago, Benice said:

Not everyone you know is an overachiever, since you know me after all.

I did make Estelle an A-rank bracer however, which is mildly impressive. After all, it requires you to win at hide and seek without using any hints.

Edited by Lightchao42

39 minutes ago, Sooks said:

Good work.

Why does the governor have a school?

37 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Tbf tho.....i think we all run into deployment issues haha.

A problem as old as time itself. Deployment issues in FE.

34 minutes ago, Benice said:

If it makes you feel better, my academic history is a downwards slope. Never to the point of becoming a failing student, but considering the last serious course I did was also the one where I finished a year with a failed subject for the first time...

I blame the teacher, though. I know that sounds like blaming the RNG, but seriously, that woman was the worst teacher I've had in my life, and it's not even a contest. She taught "FOL", which in a nutshell is basic economics. She forgot she had class with us multiple times and we had to go find her, she often lost her train of thought in the middle of her lectures for seemingly no reason, when she tried to teach us how to calculate salaries she failed to correctly correct literally ALL of the exercises she had us do - ALL of them, she couldn't hold anyone's attention if she tried because she was so damn bad at teaching, she was a condescending, passive-aggressive asshole...

FOL is described as an extremely easy breeze of a subject by 99% of people who go through it. Over half our class failed because of that piece of shit teacher. Then we took the remedial in September and I was the one and only person that passed, with the bare minimum mark too. And guess what - when the following year's FOL teacher, who was now in charge of our year's remedial exams, asked her who needed to take them, the fucking fartbag somehow forgot she gave me a passing mark and told the other teacher everyone needed to take the exams. Jesus fucking Christ.

18 minutes ago, Benice said:

Meth be like

Edited by Saint Rubenio

11 hours ago, Dayni said:

Me, reading an email I wasn't expecting before next week.

>You have reached the qualifying standard at interview

https://c.tenor.com/qT3gs2EWLVwAAAAC/that-cant-be-right-lily-tomlin.gif

*Reads again

>You have reached the qualifying standard at interview

4l876z.gif

Well, I do have to wait on getting selected and that's not guaranteed, but yeah, that's great!

ayy graaaaaaats and good luck!

27 minutes ago, Benice said:

How did that work?

Did the test contribute 2.5% to total grade overall and it got added on?

Just now, Shrimpolaris said:

ayy graaaaaaats and good luck!

Thanks, I'm hoping I hear about it soon enough.