• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Shrimpy -Limited Edition-

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

4 hours ago, Armagon said:

While we haven't seen it in action, you can swap during battle at any time. The concern there is that you'd swap to a character who has used all their Arts and have to wait but that seems like such an obvious design flaw that i'm confident that Monolith Soft won't let that happen.

Dun dun duuuuuuun!

I am going to wait until I get home to post in Teehee.

33 minutes ago, Sooks said:

I am not going to wait until I get home to post in Teehee.

The Dragon’s Forge was just too damn good. (That and the trailers actually looked interesting, especially with the sheer variety of character classes and traits.)

As an aside, I’m pretty sure this will be my first time playing both a roguelike/roguelite and my first time playing a metroidvania, so this’ll be interesting.

Awesome! Hope you enjoy it. For a couple of starter tips: go into game settings and toggle "dual-button dash" on. That way, you can dash both directions without turning around - excelent for quick dodges. Also, if you're on PC (pretty safe bet, since it's only on XBOX otherwise and I don't think you have that one) you can follow this guide to add custom names to the game if you like. Some funny situations can arise from that - I once had a Kaga that was a contrarian!

Other than that, good luck and have fun. Let me know how it goes and don't hesitate to ask for any more pointers!

Edited by Saint Rubenio

On 5/14/2022 at 3:44 AM, Saint Rubenio said:

I knew our shared affinity for Berwick meant something, cousin.

Nice.

'Morning!

8 minutes ago, Sooks said:

Let’s uh… not talk about how quickly I died.

Bahahahahaha... Don't feel bad. That's the deal. This game isn't a walk in the park, but death doesn't mean you've wasted your time. See what you can spend your gold on!

6 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Awesome! Hope you enjoy it. For a couple of starter tips: go into game settings and toggle "dual-button dash" on. That way, you can dash both directions without turning around - excelent for quick dodges.

Alright, if you say so.

6 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Also, if you're on PC (pretty safe bet, since it's only on XBOX otherwise and I don't think you have that one) you can follow this guide to add custom names to the game if you like. Some funny situations can arise from that - I once had a Kaga that was a contrarian!

Hmm… yeah, I’ll do this later.

5 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Bahahahahaha... Don't feel bad. That's the deal. This game isn't a walk in the park, but death doesn't mean you've wasted your time. See what you can spend your gold on!

I bought some extra health, the blacksmith (who I can’t afford anything at), and then the ranger class, so the new girl, Faye, now uses a bow. Which makes it pretty easy to cheese some enemies here, but it’s still looking like I’m gonna die again.

She also has muscle weakness, which makes enemies flinch less after being hit so that’s… something.

4 minutes ago, Sooks said:

I bought some extra health, the blacksmith (who I can’t afford anything at), and then the ranger class, so the new girl, Faye, now uses a bow. Which makes it pretty easy to cheese some enemies here, but it’s still looking like I’m gonna die again.

Sounds about right. Ranger is pretty fun, though I tend to forget to use their talent, as useful as the platform is. Make sure to time those perfect arrow releases for crits!

She also has muscle weakness, which makes enemies flinch less after being hit so that’s… something.

Hey, that's a negative trait, even if not a big one. That means gold bonus. Always appreciated.

Just wait till you get a pacifist. Or Osteogenesis Imperfecta. Best traits for money runs... If you can handle 'em.

Edited by Saint Rubenio

First… boss, I think that was?

I mean, I died immediately, but all the spirits leading up to it were all “there’s a nightmare in this room”.

So, now what character to go with…

Just wait till you get a pacifist.

Guess what just happened.

Unfortunately, he had this ability that meant enemies did damage to max health (although health would regenerate) so I died in literally three rooms.

Edited by Sooks

35 minutes ago, Sooks said:

First… boss, I think that was?

I mean, I died immediately, but all the spirits leading up to it were all “there’s a nightmare in this room”.

Was it named? If so, it was the first boss. Otherwise, it was something else.

Guess what just happened.

Ahahahaha...

Unfortunately, he had this ability that meant enemies did damage to max health (although health would regenerate) so I died in literally three rooms.

Awww. Yeah, unfortunate combo of traits there.

The best part of pacifists is that you can find weapon carts on the world. They are uncommon, but if you do find one as a pacifist, they regain the ability to fight, becoming pacifiers. You retain the HP penalty, but most importantly, you keep the massive gold boost. My best gold run ever came from such a situation.

32 minutes ago, Sooks said:

Now I’m a vegan! Eating meat hurts me, but I didn’t even know you could eat meat so it’s probably fine.

Meat sometimes drops from breakables.

1 minute ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Was it named? If so, it was the first boss. Otherwise, it was something else.

I don’t think so? It was some “trial” for so I could gain empathy or something like that, and at the end there was a fight.

1 minute ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Meat sometimes drops from breakables.

Of course, my first time having this happen was as a vegan.

I’ve died a couple more times since then btw.

6 minutes ago, Sooks said:

I don’t think so? It was some “trial” for so I could gain empathy or something like that, and at the end there was a fight.

Ahh, yeah. Those are heirlooms. Abilities that you gain permanently after beating the trial. Keep an eye out for those.

Of course, my first time having this happen was as a vegan.

Ahahahahaha... Hey, could be worse. RL1 had Alektrophobia, the fear of chickens. The fried chicken would jump out and run after you, and you had to kill it again to eat it.

...but then, its damage was negligible and if you had the ability to get health from kills, that just meant nore health per chicken, so... Actually, no, it couldn't be worse. This is it.

I’ve died a couple more times since then btw.

Oof.

2 hours ago, twilitfalchion said:

I will not stand for such slander her Three Hopes look is her best one

Nah Sooks is right, they gave Ingrid a yee-yee ass haircut. 

Honestly tho, apart from Mercedes cause long hair superiority, the Three Hopes designs uh.....feel like the bare minimum. 

Maybe it's a mistake to dredge this back up, but... On the topic of politics from earlier.

18 hours ago, GuardianSing said:

It's not just about you it's about everyone. In the United States specifically for many of those outside the majority, politics is not a choice, it's a necessity to vote and keep their rights as American citizens. For many white people, Trump being president may not have seemed to have changed much but for immigrants it was life changing as families were split apart and thousands lost their homes.

Politics isn't just about a bunch of old men arguing over bills, it's about how our lives will be changed, and how the lives of other people not part of the majority will change. It's politics that decide how much you'll be paid at work, how badly your boss is allowed to treat you, how bad the school system can be, how many shootings will occur, how many suicides will be committed, and so on.

Apathy is never the place you want to be.

I'll admit I used to be like this. I understand it. You can only spend so much time watching politics be a neverending circus of privileged old morons without a problem in their lives yelling at each other for nonsense in public while engaging in blatant corruption in the shadows - extremely shallow shadows, at that. Everyone knows it happens, but then, they control justice and law enforcement as well, so who's going to punish them? It's an incredibly depressing and frustrating thing, and I completely understand how tempting it is to just accept the futility of it all and ignore it to preserve one's happiness.

Things change, however. My political views and my views on politics both have seen dramatic changes as I've matured from my idiotic younger self into a slightly-less-idiotic slightly-older self. I'll confess I was once an edgelord who vandalized his first ballot so that it'd go in the null vote list. I wanted to be listed in the percentage of people who stand against the entire system and express their disdain for it by refusing to pick a side. I didn't want them to be able to say I was just sick or whatever either, I went and put in the bad vote so that there was no mistake about my intentions. And because my parents, wiser than stupid younger me, forced me to go vote. That was the main reason, truth be told, but I actually believed this would make a difference in any way.

Nowadays... Don't get me wrong, I still think politics is an unbearable, depressing shitshow and that the options are almost always "bad" and "worse." But therein lies the point - there's always going to be an option that's slightly better. Staying informed, forming an opinion and voting is the barest minimum one can, and should, do. These three things are extremely easy to do, and you lose absolutely nothing from doing them - so why not do them? You can always contribute to making the situation better, even if it's in the slightest, most seemingly insignificant way. An improvement is an improvement.

4 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Honestly tho, apart from Mercedes cause long hair superiority, the Three Hopes designs uh.....feel like the bare minimum. 

I didn't want to say it, because everyone knows I'm the Three Houses hater, but... Oh, what the hell, I've already dissed Dedue's beard so many times.

Yes. This. I mean, just look at Annette. They took her basic outfit, added a skirt and a hat and called it a new design. Mercedes: hat off. Boom, new design. Felix: Dad's outfit, so they can just slap his head on his dad's model and save time. Sylvain: Scarf, done for the day. Dedue... Well, I know I'm kicking a dead horse here, but that beard is absolutely hideous. There was an attempt at a grainy, stubble-like texture, but it's hardly noticeable - it just looks like the artist opened Dedue's portrait on paint, spent 10 seconds adding a white layer on top of his chin and called it a day. Not to mention the extremely strange shape of it. No joke, I feel like I, with my lack of artistic skills, could color a somewhat better beard on the guy in an hour or two. And that's really sad.

I always feel a bit cruel when I say this, but... Seriously, that artist needs to get the boot. She's the worst FE has seen, without hardware limitations as a reasonable justification. It's not terrible, of course, but you compare it to the rest of the series' artists and... I don't know. The coloring and shading is very plain, the same-face syndrome is even more prevalent than usual, the characters' poses and expressions lack personality, she didn't even drawn full artwork of the characters... It feels so oddly mediocre for a series where the quality of the art has been consistently good.

Anyway, sorry. I promise this is the last time I do this.

Unless they butcher Hanneman. You will have to forgive me if I become extremely mad at them if they butcher the one legitimately great design they accidentally made.

I had an actually productive run! I achieved two main things:

1. I learned that Valkyrie is a good class.

2. I got just barely got enough money to buy the rune thing that recovers HP for killing enemies, which should hopefully help my survivability long term.

I got so, so close to getting that heirloom too. Hopefully this will be the run where I get it. The negative trait I got this team means I can’t see my HP, which isn’t ideal but… the goal is still to not take damage, so that shouldn’t be too big a problem.

Then I randomly got a cutscene about the king demanding I open golden doors despite the fact that I’ve made zero progress which was… ominous.

@Saint Rubenio what’s the deal with fairy chests? I’ve found two now, but both of them require I take zero damage which… no. Does the requirement for that reset if I leave the room or if I take any damage there do I just not get it?

24 minutes ago, Armagon said:

I mean, 80% of them are just slapping new hair/hair accessories (hi Annette) on the characters and calling it a day.

Edited by Sooks

Today I cleaned up my account I couldn't bear to see so much shame

https://c.tenor.com/k5XSQJZ-BX4AAAAd/attack-on-titan-ymir-fritz.gif

60th anniversary special gonna be a banger.

We've never had a new Doctor take the lead with an anniversary special as his first episode before.

5 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

she didn't even drawn full artwork of the characters

Tbf a big chunk of Fates characters are still missing full artwork so this isn't an issue specifically to her.

Haha, the heirloom room was literally the second randomly generated room I entered this time. I guess the game is feeling bad for me now. Well, okay, third time’s the charm.

Then again, the room restoring me to full HP would be kind of a waste when I’m at full HP, so maybe I should explore more first.

Okay so, I may have died while exploring…

Edited by Sooks

5 minutes ago, Sooks said:

I had an actually productive run!

Congratulations!

I achieved two main things:

1. I learned that Valkyrie is a good class.

It is! It's one of the more popular ones, I think. Personally, I think I enjoy the oddballs more, but you should still have a little ways before unlocking one of those.

2. I got just barely got enough money to buy the rune thing that recovers HP for killing enemies, which should hopefully help my survivability long term.

A little bit, at least.

I got so, so close to getting that heirloom too. Hopefully this will be the run where I get it. The negative trait I got this team means I can’t see my HP, which isn’t ideal but… the goal is still to not take damage, so that shouldn’t be too big a problem.

That negative trait is annoying, but not really all that bad. It just means getting hit a bunch of times means death, as opposed to getting hit a specific bunch of times means death.

...Sheesh, high time you get a positive trait, though...

Then I randomly got a cutscene about the king demanding I open golden doors despite the fact that I’ve made zero progress which was… ominous.

Yeah, those will happen occassionally. They'll make sense in context.

@Saint Rubenio what’s the deal with fairy chests? I’ve found two now, but both of them require I take zero damage which… no. Does the requirement for that reset if I leave the room or if I take any damage there do I just not get it?

Nope, you only get one chance. If you win, you get a new rune, as well as the red aether needed to craft them (alongside money). If you lose, you get to move on and hope you win the next one you find. Or, find the skeleton key relic - those let you open a failed chest. But those are rare.

Try every fairy chest challenge you can find, you don't lose much from failing and runes are very important. If you really, really one to get them, failed challenge reset if you return to the castle after locking it - but I don't believe you have that ability yet.

Just now, Sooks said:

Haha, the heirloom room was literally the second randomly generated room I entered this time. I guess the game is feeling bad for me now. Well, okay, third time’s the charm.

Hahahah... Yeah, sometimes the random generation is quirky like that. Good luck!

7 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Tbf a big chunk of Fates characters are still missing full artwork so this isn't an issue specifically to her.

True, I always forget the Fates artwork isn't from the artist.

4 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

...Sheesh, high time you get a positive trait, though...

I mean, I’ve seen a couple as options, but I’ve been going for negative stuff to get more gold so I can get buffs.

Actually, I’ve got one right now: clumsy. Which doesn’t seem that useful, but it’s something.

Edited by Sooks

8 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

True, I always forget the Fates artwork isn't from the artist.

And i think a good chunk of DSFE full art is also missing.