• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Shrimpica

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

39 minutes ago, Newtype06 said:

It was just a football joke, guys

That’s good, although now I’m wondering what happened with football.

Ladies and gentlemen... I've struck gold.

Literally! Went with my dad and a friend of his to search for gold at a river. I expected a boring day of shaking dirt and looking at water, but the spot was incredibly good. Every single batch of dirt I tried had no less than five or six gold bits in it. I'm rich, everyone. I will purchase the forum now and ban all discussion about Three Houses.

...I mean, nah. They were really tiny bits of gold. But still, never hurts to dream.

12 hours ago, BrightBow said:

He probably stays just out of sight so he can watch Jayden run into doors and whatnot.

Honestly, I would do the same. Seriously, that animation never fails to make me laugh. It's been so many years and I still grin like an idiot whenever I see it. To this day, I still don't understand. How do you pick a fight with a door and lose THAT bad?

11 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

@Dayni, bonk me.

Same energy as this.

49 minutes ago, Newtype06 said:

Aston Villa is a useless team

Ahh, football. That thing that I've always been so glad I don't give a shit about.

Edited by Saint Rubenio

10 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Ladies and gentlemen... I've struck gold.

Literally! Went with my dad and a friend of his to search for gold at a river. I expected a boring day of shaking dirt and looking at water, but the spot was incredibly good. Every single batch of dirt I tried had no less than five or six gold bits in it. I'm rich, everyone. I will purchase the forum now and ban all discussion about Three Houses.

...I mean, nah. They were really tiny bits of gold. But still, never hurts to dream.

It's all fun until the tax guys come knocking.

So remember when I said I was going to do the postgame in Exit Fate? I may've changed my mind. Because hot DAMN it's so difficult. The first part of the postgame is a tiny room, but the encounter rate is massively increased. The game intends for you to at least get into one or two fights, and the random enemies there... Well, it's a group of 4 to 6 enemies. I got a fight against the minimum of four, and then I put everything I had into the fight. Buffs, debuffs, strategically exploiting Griever's death to boost Lichtenheim to his maximum potential...

I managed to kill one. One. Then Lichtenheim died, I ran out of restores and everyone else lasted a couple more turns.

Yeeeeeeeeeeeah I dunno if I feel like doing this. I've loved this game, but with the final fight right around the corner, I'm starting to get into the "I'd like this done" mindset right now. Took a look at my reliable screenshot LP, and it seems this postgame is surprisingly small and, while it does have a couple of interesting things, it stops right before it gets REALLY interesting.

Eh. I'll probably skip it. For some other run, if I ever return to this game. Or just later, if I ever feel like it - I mean, I've got the saves for it. I kinda want to beat up the final boss now and see how this story ends. I beat another secret boss, which boosted my levels a bit, and I've got some more magics in preparation for the postgame. It should do the trick against the final boss too.

8 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

It's all fun until the tax guys come knocking.

Hey, we're not doing it for money! My father's a big mineral collector. This is just a fun pastime for him. That gold's just going to sit in the little vial.

Besides, with the gold we got today we could get like, ten bucks, and I'm being extremely generous here. If you're picturing big gold pellets like in the movies, think again. We're talking gold tiny enough for water to sweep it up if you shake hard enough.

2 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Hey, we're not doing it for money! My father's a big mineral collector. This is just a fun pastime for him. That gold's just going to sit in the little vial.

Besides, with the gold we got today we could get like, ten bucks, and I'm being extremely generous here. If you're picturing big gold pellets like in the movies, think again. We're talking gold tiny enough for water to sweep it up if you shake hard enough.

Yes, I know. But it's still income hence the joke about having to be included in your taxes. Since the river... who knows it anyway.

And the joke that you would get taxed even if it was worth only cents.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

1 hour ago, Newtype06 said:

You'd think i'd get used to title races ending in heartbreak by now

I feel ya, mate. The teams I cheer for consistently suck, though admittedly for other sports.

And hey, at least you're not a Seattle Mariners fan! They haven't made the playoffs since 2001!

---

I am very sad that there seems to be nowhere on the internet that someone has compiled all of The Somnium Files' portraits. A lot of 'em would have made good reaction pictures...

All right, here goes. The fight against Finn Alboss.

This time, I'm prepared for anything.

10 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Yes, I know. But it's still income hence the joke about having to be included in your taxes. Since the river... who knows it anyway.

And the joke that you would get taxed even if it was worth only cents.

Not to worry. If the taxman comes, I will throw the dirt at him.

The final battle in a nutshell.

UFpz9TRe_o.png

I'll probably upload the final battle to my Youtube channel. Just to celebrate this game, honestly. Obviously this spoils the final boss, but... Honestly, knowing the final boss's face and name is not that big of a spoiler. It's more about the journey than the destination, and just the final boss's appearance would spoil just about none of the juicy tidbits.

What I'm trying to say is, if my constant, unrelenting praise for this game that belongs in a genre I don't even like isn't enough, feel free to watch the video and get a glimpse of how it looks. If nothing else, you get to watch a cat whack the shit out of a final boss until it dies. That's fun in and of itself.

And now, character endings!

Rbuvr0V9_o.png

AHAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

He had the best ending too. Oh that's priceless.

I didn't deserve you, Lichtenheim.

i2myV6Ps_o.png

This one's pretty good too. I wish I used this clown now.

Excuse the faded colors, the endings went by pretty quick and I didn't screenshot this in time.

eV1hpX0h_o.png

And of course, Deke doesn't disappoint with his ending either. This confirms it in my heart - Exit Fate is a prequel to Team Fortress 2. Deke got teleported to Germany, where he promptly proceeded to take it in stride. Then he joined a mercenary team and continued being an insane doctor till the end of days, which is when TF2 died. His accent was still made up, but it coincidentally happened to match the one people from this new land had. Lucky break!

Only one last thing to do before I wrap this up... Check out the final stats! One of the recruitable characters offers a chart of statistics, playtime, characters recruited, total kills, battles and deaths... Let's see how they're looking!

N3jYihpO_o.pngw0XlrKb3_o.png

Keep in mind that this is before the final boss. Lichtenheim gets one more in both stats. Yeah, he killed the final boss too.

Of course. Of course Lichtenheim won in both kills and battles. Lichtenheim, who joins roughly halfway through act 1, participated in 27 more battles than the protagonist of the game. I find it pretty funny that Deke beat Daniel by exactly one battle (counting the final battle), too. Good job, Daniel. You truly are the hero of this story.

Short thoughts

I loved this game. So much.

Let me start with the flaws:

• There were a few unfortunate sequel hooks at the end that obviously remain unresolved to this day. Nothing too big, the game gets a perfectly fine conclusion, but there's hints at a sequel that was never realized. Most hurtful, the character of Yan Angwa got a ton of mysterious set up, to the point where him being a secretive asshole that refused to ever explain himself was a running gag, but aside from a couple of vague implications, the game just ended and nothing specific was revealed about him. Though I'm realizing now that maybe that was part of the gag.
  • Also, there were a couple of NPCs that I wish had been playable.
  • Petra.

That's it. Those are the flaws.

God, this game was great. If traditional JRPGs weren't ruined enough for me, this may've finished obliterating them into outer space. I don't think I'm ever going to be able to play another traditional JRPG after being spoiled so much by a game that does so much, so right, in all the ways I love. Just about. Great story, surprisingly enticing and fast gameplay for a JRPG, extremely fun and unique cast of playable characters, solid NPCs and villains as well, portrait art that I personally liked...

What an absolute joy of a game to play. It had the entire deck stacked against it, and it turned the tables with the effectiveness of a thousand fists smashing the table's border. Or rather, a thousand cat paws.

eV1hpX0h_o.png

And of course, Deke doesn't disappoint with his ending either. This confirms it in my heart - Exit Fate is a prequel to Team Fortress 2. Deke got teleported to Germany, where he promptly proceeded to take it in stride. Then he joined a mercenary team and continued being an insane doctor till the end of days, which is when TF2 died. His accent was still made up, but it coincidentally happened to match the one people from this new land had. Lucky break!

Well, could've been worse. He could've been teleporting bread...

2 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Well, could've been worse. He could've been teleporting bread...

Worse still: He could've been doing nothing but teleporting bread for three days!

Here it is, if anyone wishes to watch it, for curiosity's sake.

Truth be told, the whole "cat was the one that did literally everything" thing was a bit of an exaggeration. His speed is massive with haste, sure, but his damage wasn't as high and the front enemy screwed him over. In truth, I required the contributions of the entire team to pull through. They were all invaluable. I'm so proud of all of them.

...LOOOL The video got an automatic content ID claim because of the final boss theme. That's... oh wow, that's amazing, I've never had that happen before. The final boss theme is, according to the credits, one of three original themes from the game. The fact that none of the bigger name videos, up to and including friggin' Star Wars, have ever been claimed, but this tiny, ancient, freeware RPGMaker game did is... Interesting, to say the least.

But, eh. It's just demonetization. I can't say I care, I don't bother monetizing my videos to begin with. If Youtube gives me any more trouble, I can always silence the video, as... silly as that would be.

Edited by Saint Rubenio

Hm? So what do they think is making the claim for?

Admittedly the music did sounded familiar to me, though I can't pin on what exactly it's reminding me of.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

58 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Hm? So what do they think is making the claim for?

Admittedly the music did sounded familiar to me, though I can't pin on what exactly it's reminding me of.

I just realized what the problem is. This song isn't original to the game. I was confused because it was credited separatedly from the rest of the soundtrack, but that's because it's the only one that doesn't belong to an old JRPG. Instead, it's a proper band that made it, one by the name of Therion, back in 1996. Of course, proper band means instant claim, because music industry.

Now I'm actually a bit scared. The music industry is not something I want to mess with, I've heard the horror stories. I might have to silence the video. I don't want trouble over something like this. At worst they'll give me a strike and I'll have to remove the video, but... Ah, damnit, I don't know.

...But then, I just realized - that upload has been there for 13 years and nothing has happened to it... Bah, let's wait and see. Worst case scenario, I get a strike and have to delete the video and watch myself for six months. No big deal.

Edited by Saint Rubenio

First I have to go up and down after getting back to my place because I needed to go fix something and it took too long to do it where I was, after there had been a fair amount of frustration around the reasons why it happened. Then on the way down I get to hear a fascist (for how ineffectual his party actually is) spew crap for a few minutes.

This day has been long enough.

4 hours ago, Newtype06 said:

Aston Villa is a useless team

Oh, I wasn't sure you actually followed the EPL.

I did recognise Klopp, but I f'd up.

1 hour ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Rbuvr0V9_o.png

AHAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

Klaus best cat.

I just realized what the problem is. This song isn't original to the game. I was confused because it was credited separatedly from the rest of the soundtrack, but that's because it's the only one that doesn't belong to an old JRPG. Instead, it's a proper band that made it, one by the name of Therion, back in 1996. Of course, proper band means instant claim, because music industry.

Now I'm actually a bit scared. The music industry is not something I want to mess with, I've heard the horror stories. I might have to silence the video. I don't want trouble over something like this. At worst they'll give me a strike and I'll have to remove the video, but... Ah, damnit, I don't know.

There's a track not from a JRPG.

And it's the final boss theme.

Called Grand Finale.

I can't stop myself, I laughed, because jaysis of all the things to get in trouble over. And it's not even a band I ever heard of before this, you'd think they'd like the exposure.

Haven't heard of them before... but it still sounds familiar...

Maybe because it makes me think of Castlevania...

Or I heard it used elsewhere, but I don't remember in what.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

2 minutes ago, Dayni said:

Klaus best cat.

Lord Klaus Von Lichtenheim. Do not refer to him by less than his full name. He gets mad and starts scratching the furniture when someone does it. We really don't need another incident like that.

There's a track not from a JRPG.

And it's the final boss theme.

Called Grand Finale.

It's almost like they saw the future and knew someone would borrow their song as the final boss theme of their freeware game, so they named it appropriately.

I mean, fuck, it doesn't even sound like a band song. It has that distinct videogame feel to it, you know?

I can't stop myself, I laughed, because jaysis of all the things to get in trouble over. And it's not even a band I ever heard of before this, you'd think they'd like the exposure.

Hey, to be fair, it's a content ID claim. That means it's automatic. It's possible Youtube is just freaking out. Heck, the upload I shared earlier has a good few comments referencing Exit Fate. It's a possibility that they might even know about this lol.

3 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Haven't heard of them before... but it still sounds familiar...

Maybe because it makes me think of Castlevania...

Or I heard it used elsewhere, but I don't remember in what.

It's a damn good song and with that name, it's just begging to be used in a videogame as the final boss theme. And, looking through the comments of the upload, Exit Fate isn't the only reference that seems completely out-of-the-blue without context. I see the name Sasuke repeated a couple of times. That ring any bells?

9 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

It's a damn good song and with that name, it's just begging to be used in a videogame as the final boss theme. And, looking through the comments of the upload, Exit Fate isn't the only reference that seems completely out-of-the-blue without context. I see the name Sasuke repeated a couple of times. That ring any bells?

Some sort of Japanese TV show. I looked it up, but no, not something I've seen before.

1 minute ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Some sort of Japanese TV show. I looked it up, but no, not something I've seen before.

Interesting. Well, most likely explanation is that it just sounds similar to some song from a videogame you've played, then. Perhaps even inspired it. Or the game just stole it lol. It wouldn't be the first time it happened.

Interesting. Well, most likely explanation is that it just sounds similar to some song from a videogame you've played, then. Perhaps even inspired it. Or the game just stole it lol. It wouldn't be the first time it happened.

Well, I did said it made me think of Castlevania.

Just now, Acacia Sgt said:

Well, I did said it made me think of Castlevania.

Right... Well, if anything more specific comes to mind, do let us know. I'm a bit curious now, haha.

Well, did most of the Falkreath stuff. At least the stuff that showed up as I went, and mostly the ones more north and northwest, not the eastern parts of the hold. Well, became the Thane and started building up Lakeview Manor. Also finished Hircine's Daedric Quest and... well, funny story there.

So, I intended to spare Sinding and get the Ring of Hircine, for eventual use as a werewolf. But then, a dragon shows up outside Bloat Man's Grotto... and Sinding also happened to leave the place despite saying he'd stay there. Suffice to say, he ended up helping me against the dragon... and died. Then because Skyrim be Skyrim, turns out even if I didn't killed him, I could still skin his werewolf pelt and Hircine would give me the other reward of the quest, the Savior's Hide. And since Hircine is meant to take the cursed version of the ring, which I no longer had... well, I was able to obtain both rewards, pft.

Now that I have the ring, I might as well go ahead and become a werewolf, so I can work up on getting those perks...