Serenes Forest's Teehee Thread

MisterIceTeaPeach

11 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

But well, that's for next time... which might as well next weekend. Since it's back to the workplace for nine and a half hours daily... and ten for Monday, because 48 hours being the max allowed for work weeks means they have to use all of them. Apparently.

I hope that all goes well and you pull through. At least you’re getting money out of it.

• Replies 176k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Shrimpica

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

2 minutes ago, Sooks said:

I hope that all goes well and you pull through. At least you’re getting money out of it.

Compared to my previous jobs, this is much MUCH better. To the point my biggest problem is actually boredom. Since so far I've only had to watch, so take that for hours and... well, still beats having to do work standing. Friday I did got to help out a little. Not on the calls yet, but on the more technical side. Writing up the report notes and the like. Still, it's a long wait until I'm in my actual post.

Majora's Mask 3D is peak fiction for real (review):

I have a lot of fond memories of Majora's Mask, both the original and this remake. For the longest time, i considered this game to be the best Zelda game and after revisiting it after all these years, do i feel the same way? The answer is yes.

Majora's Mask is a great game and this remake adds a bit more improvement to it, which as i've noticed, is an opinion contrary to what seems to be the general consensus, more on that later. This is a game where you have to save the world and you are actually timed on that. I've played games with these overarching timelimits before, but the way it's implemented in this game makes it the best implementation i've seen, even if i'm making a big apples to oranges comparison here admittidly. 72 in-game hours to save the world but most players will not be able to accomplish everything in those 72 hours, which is where the Song of Time comes in. By playing the Song of Time, you can wind the clock back to the First Day and reliving events over and over is the key to success here.

Over the course of those repeating three days, you will meet and help all kinds of people but until you accomplish your ultimate goal, these moments are merely temporary, as you will inevitably wind the clock back. As a result, the land of Termina is one of the most living, breathing video game worlds out there, which is ironic given it will all cease in three days. Characters have their own schedules, their own lives and as the end approaches, they will react accordingly. The game itself seemingly reacts to it's approaching demise. On the final hour of each day, before dawn, the game's screen will progressively get smaller with each toll of the bell. Every day, you will the words "Dawn of the nth Day: n Hours Remain" and those words on the screen get bigger as the day approaches. These two elements in my mind uniquely combine to show the urgency of the situation. But the biggest sense of urgency is on the Final Day, as by then everyone is aware of the threat. Some choose to stay behind, others flee. And then clock strikes 12 and the Final Hours begin, with a haunting song playing everywhere except dungeons as the bell ring, ringing more frequently as the end approaches. Within a few hours, everyone you've met will die, everywhere you've visited will be reduced to nothing, unless you succeed in your quest. This makes the "save the world" quest in Majora's Mask so much more unique compared to any game i've played, because you can truly fail. The two instances that get me the most are between the Romani Sisters and, of course, Kafei and Anju. You learn that Romani can't drink the Chateu Romani because "she's not an adult" but on the Final Day, Cremia tells her she can drink it as she now sees the adult in her; Romani not knowing the reason why her sister sees this. The Kafei and Anju questline is one of the best parts of the game with a very good resolution and honestly, i'd rather not talk about it here. It's good, all i'll say.

I've been talking about the game's story a lot, but the gameplay is very good too. The constant timeloops add a unique element to the game. In the original Majora's Mask, playing the Song of Time and resetting the cycle was the only way to permanently save your file, the remake lets you save any time at a statue. This is a good change for the simple fact that quick saving's always been dumb and cringe. In the past, i struggled with this game's dungeons but now they honestly felt.....too easy. Half of it is because i'm better, the other half is because i think CrossCode really changed the perspective so now Zelda dungeons feel too easy in comparison. But the dungeons themselves are not bad and they all make great use of this game's mask gimmick (Stone Tower Temple extremely based btw). There are a lot of masks in this game but the main ones you'd be using are the Deku, Goron, and Zora Masks, each of which transforms Link into those races with their respective abilities. It really does suck that they nerfed Zora Link in this remake tho, even if it remedied by the infinite MP milk.

As far as remake specific changes go, i know a lot of people view the remake as inferior i think but a lot of the stuff they say makes the game worse, i actually think it's an improvement. There's the changes to saving as i've mentioned before, but the lighting is just better as you can actually see things now. Improved UI is a given, Bomber's Notebook keeps track of everything, the Gyorg and Twinmold fights are actually not terrible this time (the latter in particular is just a Kaiju brawl now, and that's a good thing), the Song of Double Time lets you fastforward with precision and just general quality of life. I love the original Majora's Mask but this remake is the version i'd recommend and one or two downgrades don't outweigh the positives this version brings.

Majora's Mask is a masterpiece of a game and while i do recommend this version as it is my preferred, the original is worth playing too. An incredible game with rather unique elements and one of my favorite climaxes and endings in any game.

10/10

(This game will not be going in my "games i played in 2022" list as this was a game i played extensively when i was younger and my thoughts on it haven't really changed that much since then, only expanded. I'm counting it as a replay, not a first playthrough).

Screenshot_6960.png?width=492&height=432

New member of The Masterpiece Club

43 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Majora's Mask 3D is peak fiction for real (review):

10/10

(Re?)Welcome to the light.

6 hours ago, Sooks said:

(Re?)Welcome to the light.

Yeah it's definitively on there now.

It was a 9/10 before but it has that special Armagon quality.

Speaking of game reviews! Trails into Reverie review time!

The gameplay was literally a 1/10 on the grading scale, as i said before, it's CS and that makes it unplayable. I'm pretty sure i went about 200 turns before the endgame boss had a chance and died. The only reason it's 1/10 and not 0/10 is cause they at least tried to fix SPD by nerfing base and growth on it. Killing enemies with millions of HP was boring, not difficult, made fights take hours for no good reason.

The story was on the same level as the gameplay! Holy crap this was ALL over the place, stuff happens just cause 95% of the time, and there is literally no character development throughout the story except, like, twice... maybe. Trying to tie 40+ characters to the story was never gonna work, and they need to stop trying. Ofc they forced Rean too much again, but at least Lloyd got a chance to shine this time.

The game was really laggy and buggy, not making for the best experience obviously.

The minigames on the otherhand weren't that bad. The writing was cringe for Magical*Alisa but the minigame itself wasn't awful. 

From a gameplay PoV, using anyone you like is a plus, so it get's points here.

For anyone that doesn't enjoy a massive grind, this game probably isn't for you, haha.

Gonna go 4/10 but 5/10 with some generosity.

Oh and this gets a special mention... a mention not to use if you want to actually play the game, that is:

a9270fdbf8cae394ad8458e0a9a55baf.png

I don't think i have to explain how stupid this actually is.

11 hours ago, Sooks said:

I think if the entire game was just main maps with a camp pause between each I wouldn’t enjoy it as much.

True, but at the same time side maps didn't need to be so numerous

58 minutes ago, lightcosmo said:

4/10

Overstatement of the decade.

deserves negative score at best

Just now, Shrimpy said:

Overstatement of the decade.

deserves negative score at best

Haha, i don't think i could honestly rate something that badly, i don't have the heart for it. XD

Another game ruining option IMO:

4b971f312b8e2b8b8e6343a4029841e6.jpg

uh... what? This is busted as all hell. XD

edit: this doesn't show, but it has 0 delay as well.

Edited by lightcosmo

Oh hey, a Ninty direct. It says "partner showcase", which to me just says "low chance Mario XCOM 2 is here." Bad time for me to catch it, but yell at me if Mario XCOM 2 shows up. Or anything else that's particularly, uh, Rubenish.

Oh wait, these direct minis are more about indies, right? Well, there are far better platforms for indie games than consoles, like the one that isn't a console, but the extra awareness on indies is always appreciated. So thanks for that at least, Ninty.

2 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Oh wait, these direct minis are more about indies, right? Well, there are far better platforms for indie games than consoles, like the one that isn't a console, but the extra awareness on indies is always appreciated. So thanks for that at least, Ninty.

Third-party games in general, which includes indies.

It's a Partner Showcase as opposed to a "Nindies" Showcase, all that means it's that it won't exclusively be focused on indies.

1 minute ago, Armagon said:

Third-party games in general, which includes indies.

It's a Partner Showcase as opposed to a "Nindies" Showcase, all that means it's that it won't exclusively be focused on indies.

You know, that does sound... Straight up exactly Mario XCOM 2. Don't get my hopes up, man!

Edited by Saint Rubenio

1 hour ago, BrightBow said:

31 more days until the winds of Troy blow once more.

Ehhhhh I honestly like the VS2 cavaliers a lot more than any of their VS1 colleagues. Troy was as boring as the wooden plank called Seth, Helme and Jamulan weren't much better and Merida's character, despite having potential to be pretty cool, got ravaged by Kaga's bad habits regarding women.

Meanwhile, Hestion and Alexander are a lot of fun in every one of their scenes and they're are the most shippable pair of """""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""best friends"""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""" imaginable, and Laffine gets to be somewhat badass without getting kidnapped every two steps like Merida. The only Kaga problem with Laffine is that he gave a certain boss's special death quote to Zade instead of her even though she deserved it way more, and that's a lot smaller than the crap Merida gets. Heck, even Laffine's romance is decently written.

And, they're all far more interesting units! But I'll let you discover that when the time comes.

Edited by Saint Rubenio

Well that wedding happened and I didn't stay all night for either event. Shame.

So, these last few days huh?

First, Nonty aren't doing a direct with their own titles, RIP the leak?

Second, I am not going to wade in on hot button topic that is the US. We had that lately and there's more that should be done there, but not half as much needed as it clearly is across the Atlantic.

Third, I would do indie game talk but I would have to risk reading 3 Copes talk and I want to avoid that.

On 6/24/2022 at 2:21 PM, Acacia Sgt said:

Probably a little to take calls. Just not as often to happen.

Ah job scope creep, I'm hoping that dies down.

On 6/25/2022 at 3:22 AM, Newtype06 said:

Guys, today has been THE DAY for me. I hope the next few days continue like this.

Party Hard Anime GIF - Party Hard Anime Party - Discover & Share GIFs

Good to hear.

13 hours ago, Armagon said:

10/10

(This game will not be going in my "games i played in 2022" list as this was a game i played extensively when i was younger and my thoughts on it haven't really changed that much since then, only expanded. I'm counting it as a replay, not a first playthrough).

tenor.gif

Well that's a positive sign once I finally beat Lunatic Con and Rev, then all that's left for my 3DS will be MM and sorting out all my Pokemon once Bank is made free (With a possible Samus Returns pickup).

3 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

You know, that does sound... Straight up exactly Mario XCOM 2. Don't get my hopes up, man!

I'd bet there's at least a basic trailer, unlikely a date.

But that's for tomorrow to be disappointed.

But then, I could extend that to pretty much every unit type. While it isn't perfect - certainly doesn't quite reach the heights of Berwick Saga's cast - the roster of VS2 is a definite improvement over VS1. VS2 has a far more creative, interesting and fun lot of folks, and the ones who return from VS1 see improvements to their characters, for the most part. I only really miss Cyltan, Hoelun, Siegfried, I guess kinda Hilda since she barely stays, and to a lesser extent Aynellia. Otherwise, I'll stick with the VS2 group.

Just now, Awoken Dayni said:

I'd bet there's at least a basic trailer, unlikely a date.

But that's for tomorrow to be disappointed.

I'd take a basic trailer. I need more Bow Luigi.

Imagine you're trying to escape from a massive military complex and your protagonist first promises to use his medical supplies to patch up any guards he shoots, and then promises to just stop using violence altogether, because he's simping for a German chick.

Jesse you dimwit, stop nerfing yourself, she's not interested in you.

EDIT: Oh God it gets better. The absolute piece of shit found a place full of chemical components, so he decided to make chloroform. I have to combine two ingredients to make chloroform.

Combining the wrong ingredients makes Jesse explode and I lose. This includes water and sodium. I'd call out the game on its absurdity, but... Then again, who in their right minds has ever tried putting salt in water? Maybe it really does explode. Maybe the ocean is a lie!

EDIT 2: And then he sniffed the chloroform.

Oohhhhh this guy. I don't want him to escape anymore...

Edited by Saint Rubenio

9 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Combining the wrong ingredients makes Jesse explode and I lose. This includes water and sodium. I'd call out the game on its absurdity, but... Then again, who in their right minds has ever tried putting salt in water? Maybe it really does explode. Maybe the ocean is a lie!

I mean, Sodium is pretty explosive in contact with water Vs. NaCl.

I'm assuming the situation is absurd.

11 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

EDIT: Oh God it gets better. The absolute piece of shit found a place full of chemical components, so he decided to make chloroform. I have to combine two ingredients to make chloroform.

EDIT 2: And then he sniffed the chloroform.

Oohhhhh this guy. I don't want him to escape anymore...

See: This guy's entire existence.

12 minutes ago, Awoken Dayni said:

I mean, Sodium is pretty explosive in contact with water Vs. NaCl.

I'm assuming the situation is absurd.

It's a Metal Gear parody. Not the modern clusterfucks of storytelling, the really old ones. A parody of those.

It's a pretty good game while at it, too. Nicely designed stealth game. The gun would be overpowered, but making me waste a medkit on every soldier I down with it certainly encourages me not to use my 40 bullets on everything I see. You wouldn't think the joke would be used for surprisingly brilliant gameplay balance, but here we are.

Game's name is Unmetal. It's another Spanish game, because I guess I'm in the middle of a patriotic phase. Naturally, I'm playing it in Spanish. The Spanish dub is top notch.

12 minutes ago, Awoken Dayni said:

See: This guy's entire existence.

Stupid fucking Jesse and his horny...

21 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

If they mean Sodium metal it does kinda explode