Serenes Forest's Teehee Thread

MisterIceTeaPeach

58 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

That's... certainly a way to look at it

Yup.

59 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

...What? I guess it depends where you look, because from where I'm standing, it seems more like it's the complete opposite. Male characters are more often allowed to be older, scruffier, uglier - or at least not conventionally pretty, have different bodyforms, get creative with facial hair... Lots of different details to play with. Female characters, on the other hand, tend to be constrained by the obsession with having all of them be hot and young. That's not to say female characters have no variety ever - again, it depends where you look. But well, they tend to have less variety on average, as far as I can tell.

Their outfits are more unique in comparison imo.

• Replies 175.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Shrimpy -Limited Edition-

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

You know what all of this is getting me in the mood for? Berwick Saga.

...But nah, I have other games to get through. Unmetal is done and I'm starting to be over Griftlands and its massive RNG now. I'd like to start Symphony of War next, but looking at the patch notes, I'd like to let it get its next patch before I dive in. Maybe I'll do To The Moon. We'll see.

2 minutes ago, lightcosmo said:

Their outfits are more unique in comparison imo.

Ah, fair enough. I feel that, when it comes to outfit variety, both genders are more or less even, but that's just me.

Completed the Chapter 7 Zanscare battle. Ugh.😑 I'm not ever going to watch Victory Gundam, that's for sure. "That" crossed one of my clearcut lines of "what I do not like to see in video games".

That was the second unpleasant thing I woke up to, the other being one of my toes has ballooned into a large baby carrot. Walking is a chore with the underside swelling. A short teledoc session said that an antibiotic ought to resolve it in a week though. Thank goodness for the conveniences of modern technology and medicine. I was told to keep the foot elevated, so now I've an excuse for my usual overly sedentary lifestyle.

1 hour ago, Armagon said:

f I had a nickel for every Fire Emblem game where a character is from the evil cult to show they're not all evil, only for the game to just not deliver on that, I'd have two nickels. Which isn't a lot, it's just weird that it's happened twice.

You forget Robin. They kinda count, being the vessel planned for the dark god and all. And also- amnesia and mother who took them out of the cult.

"Sympathy for some cult members" has been a thing going back to Jugdral, yet rarely if ever has FE or Not-FE done it well.

In a game with so many cute heroines I got locked into the gay route.

Guess all that homoerotic subtext wasn't just subtext, huh? Well, not my fault the guys are better written.

11 hours ago, Benice said:

Well, if it doesn't bother you, you'll probably really like Kiwami 2! It's just really noticeable because she's introduced as being a legendary "Yakuza Huntress" who's very strong and talented... Then she spends the rest of the game either being injured or cryin'.

But you see, this is not a gender issue, it's just a writing issue. If a male character was hyped to be a badass and it turns out that he's a useless, I would be disappointed too. Unless, of course, his reputation is a lie and that was the point the writer wanted to get across.

7 hours ago, Shrimpy said:

That and Hopes is making me like her imperial waifuness less and his charming kingliness more (in og 3h i liked Edel more) so i have also been getting involved in all sorta discussions lately.

I have to say, even if the writers at Koei are idiots who think the quality of a story is determined by how many arguments it starts on the internet, at least they've made Azure Gleam a good companion piece.

The only people complaining about it are Edelgard fans, and they deserve everything that happened. Also,

6 hours ago, Shrimpy said:

No Slytherin involved.

LMAO

3 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Stuff like this is why I always really appreciate when games make good guys ugly. It's something you see rarely, too rarely. And ugly women, just in general. Friend or foe, women in fiction just about always have to be super models. It's boring. Throw more ugly people in there, what's so wrong with that? Are ugly people not people too?

It is time for you to return to Dragon Age, Ruben.

Angry Lesbians & White Feminism: The Problem With Sera in 'Dragon Age' –  FemHypeCassandra - Dragon Age Inquisition Wiki Guide - IGN

2 hours ago, Shrimpy said:

But the Agarthan stuff here makes it all a mess

They were bad in the original, they are still bad now. Azure Moon was the best route because it focused solely on the Lions to create a character-driven story and sidelined the shitty cultists, which only serve to undermine the interesting conflict 3H proposed.

56 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Completed the Chapter 7 Zanscare battle. Ugh.😑 I'm not ever going to watch Victory Gundam, that's for sure. "That" crossed one of my clearcut lines of "what I do not like to see in video games".

Just wait until they adapt the chapter where Uso's mother is killed and he retrieves her helmet. With her head still inside.

Mobile Suit Victory Gundam | Forced Perspective

-------

Happy birthday @Acacia Sgt!

11 hours ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Ahahaha

Sylveon's always been the most concerning Eeveelution

5 hours ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Alright, I'm set to do my Summer Sale purchases... tomorrow.

I really hope I can end up on a good routine at work. I got paid almost 2300 MXN yesterday (+ 300 in vouchers). For that amount of weekly pay I would certainly put the effort from my end, hahaha... haaaaaaa. I always did, but sometimes the work-place didn't...

Here's hoping for you. And happy birthday too!

9 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

"Sympathy for some cult members" has been a thing going back to Jugdral, yet rarely if ever has FE or Not-FE done it well.

The closest is still Judgral.

Y'all complain about the Lopt Sect and every time they try again you get it worse.

2 hours ago, Newtype06 said:

shitty cultists

One day fe will get rid of them..

One day...

Truthfully it didn't bother me that much in houses, however doing the same mistake again in hopes, with an Agarthan mc at that, is just idiotic. This was their chance to dix some of the mistakes, not to add more

Edited by Shrimpy

2 hours ago, Benice said:

HAPPY BIRTHDAY @Acacia Sgt!

2 hours ago, Shrimpy said:

Happy Birthday @Acacia Sgt

2 hours ago, twilitfalchion said:

yo happy birthday 🥳 @Acacia Sgt

2 hours ago, lightcosmo said:

Happy birthday @Acacia Sgt❤️

1 hour ago, Sooks said:

1 hour ago, Awoken Dayni said:

Here's hoping for you. And happy birthday too!

Thanks, everyone!

3 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Let me guess, was it the Bikini Squad trap?

Yeah, in the anime it's indeed worse, since Üso isn't stopped and he kills them all.

On the topic of Zanscare, then you already played the mission with Operation Giant Roller?

Just wait until they adapt the chapter where Uso's mother is killed and he retrieves her helmet. With her head still inside.

Mobile Suit Victory Gundam | Forced Perspective

-------

Well, do remember this is SRW, so her death isn't guaranteed. Although, I'm pretty sure in SRW D his mother still dies, but then again, SRW D is among the more darker SRW's, even if it still hits the idealistic side of the scale. SRW D has a dark beginning, that's for sure, before things slowly improve. Which is why Victory Gundam showed up there I suppose. D was its last appearance before 30, for that matter.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

50 hours into Scarlet Blaze and I’m just now noticing Caspar’s design has gauntlets identical to the ones he’s wearing hanging on his waist, two on one side and one on the other, and God it looks so bad, why can’t I unsee this—

4 hours ago, Shrimpy said:

The name - 3 Hopes - is a lie. This is the dark timeline more like.

If I had a nickel for every time a Musou spin-off falsely advertised what it was, I'd have two nickels. Which isn't a lot, it's just weird that it's happened twice.

Ok jokes aside, Three Hopes is not going the route of Age of Calamity, it actually was advertised as an alt timeline.

4 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

You know? I have to confess, I've been getting this feeling myself. Just yesterday I had kind of an epiphany where it just randomly hit me "oh shit... Three Houses actually kinda sounds more appealing than Three Hopes in a number of ways." I wanted to believe I was just being too negative, but uh... Oof.

Nah, that's me as well. And remember, I actually like Three Houses. But I just can't seem to bring myself to care about Three Hopes.

So far, I'm feeling vindicated on that front. 

3 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

yet rarely if ever has FE or Not-FE done it well.

TearRing got closest to it, with the Gerxels being oppressed people apparently.....which is why they respond by oppressing people and just generally having no regard for the lives of the innocent

Boba Fett moment.

Whether or not it's better for him that Jango's head actually fell off the helmet as it flew is debatable.

Happy birthday @Acacia Sgt

Gentlemen, can you feel it? Freedom? Freedom from the mind forged manacles of matrimony? To be your own master and to decide your own fate? It truly is intoxicating!

Happy date of birthing @Acacia Sgt! Here's to a lot more years and as many SRW games to come.

3 hours ago, Newtype06 said:

It is time for you to return to Dragon Age, Ruben.

I mean, that's hardly as hideous as the men get sometimes, especially if they're villains. But still, good effort, I approve.

44 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Nah, that's me as well. And remember, I actually like Three Houses. But I just can't seem to bring myself to care about Three Hopes.

So far, I'm feeling vindicated on that front. 

To be fair, as strategic-ish as it may be, it's still not FE. Mildly curious as I am about it, I'm still mainly holding out for the next real FE.

...I hope they take the series off of Koei's hands. These guys seem to have a tendency to aim much too high, deliver a mess and learn less lessons than they should. But given how successful their FEs are being, I doubt this will happen.

Ah, well. Worst case scenario, I can take solace in the fact that Vestaria Saga Mario XCOM are a thing.

1 minute ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Happy date of birthing @Acacia Sgt! Here's to a lot more years and as many SRW games to come.

Thanks!

On that subject...

Hahaha, so big SRW fan Midorikawa helped pitch Gridman (which he also voiced) to SRW? Yeah, I can totally see that.

The 'Murican anthem has never been this firey.

55 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

On that subject...

Hahaha, so big SRW fan Midorikawa helped pitch Gridman (which he also voiced) to SRW? Yeah, I can totally see that.

Gridman sounds like it could be the name of the MC of a parody of strategy games.

8 hours ago, Armagon said:

Still a bit upset he just dipped after that. Last we see is him gloating about Elincia having to watch her friend die and generally just thinking his plan is a success either way. We never got to see him react to Ike and friends going "lol". I wanted to see the comeuppance damnit 

Yeah, the fun part about smug antagonists is to watch forward to their (hopeful) fall, so it's a shame that we didn't get that with Ludveck.

6 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

...What? I guess it depends where you look, because from where I'm standing, it seems more like it's the complete opposite. Male characters are more often allowed to be older, scruffier, uglier - or at least not conventionally pretty, have different bodyforms, get creative with facial hair... Lots of different details to play with. Female characters, on the other hand, tend to be constrained by the obsession with having all of them be hot and young. That's not to say female characters have no variety ever - again, it depends where you look. But well, they tend to have less variety on average, as far as I can tell.

There's still a "perma-stubble and buzzcut" standard for male protagonists in more action-oriented games. Much more narrow, since there's at least different iterations of "hot and young", but definitely less strictly enforced, too. Plus, there's the concurrent archetype of Pretty Anime Boi in other genres, of course.

2 minutes ago, ping said:

There's still a "perma-stubble and buzzcut" standard for male protagonists in more action-oriented games. Much more narrow, since there's at least different iterations of "hot and young", but definitely less strictly enforced, too. Plus, there's the concurrent archetype of Pretty Anime Boi in other genres, of course.

Yeah, I didn't mean "men varied" and "women hot" as absolute statements. I'm not a sith, after all, I'm a saint. There's absolutely archetypes for men and female outliers in fiction, I mean, there's SO much fiction, there ought to be. It's just, on average...