• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Shrimpica

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

11 minutes ago, lightcosmo said:

He can't hit anything to get any EXP though. And when he does, he does about 10 damage and that's all, not even enough to chip for kills for the most part.

Ehhh this isn't how he is in my experience at all. This isn't FE6, he can hit plenty of things. Also, you said 14 defense at level 11 is bad, but... Not really? He can tank fairly well - and in Anakin's earlygame, he's the only one who can, really.

11 minutes ago, lightcosmo said:

*Most of the portraits in TLP*

I feel most others are more complex about their splicing, at least. There's more parts than just one guy's head and another guy's body.

...Well, in fairness, he does have different hair than Treck. It's just the same color and so similar it's hard to notice, but the hair belongs to someone else. I'm drawing a blank on whom right now.

10 minutes ago, lightcosmo said:

Another unit i gave a chance and never puts up results:

f84db6d9b47c702ee0d05a572842c4ae.png

Mind this was after lvl 20 Peg Knight.

...This one, though... I agree with you here. Lirin's a slow pegasus knight, which is terrible in a GBAFE game. She has no speed and no con, so she ends up feeling slower than Kevin. Oof.

21 minutes ago, lightcosmo said:

I'm not digging for anything, if i were, i wouldn't have said the game's core was fine if it was tweaked alot, and how many times have you chosen to acknowledge that fact?

12 hours ago, lightcosmo said:

Trails CS must have had a low budget lmao. They dont even completely create an animation in one sitting, they just piece and reuse animations everywhere. No wonder its low quality! Xd

Is Trails a low budget series? Yes. But this makes it seem like you're taking that fact negatively and the following posts confirm that.

21 minutes ago, lightcosmo said:

Also, don't you do the same with FF and KH yourself?

No? All I ever talk about those games is how Square Enix games fundamentally don't appeal to me, that has nothing to do with the actual quality that went into them.

I take issue with Kingdom Hearts' writing but that's a separate issue.

3 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Kingdom Hearts has writing? I thought they threw darts at a board with words like "darkness", "heart", "friend" and "light" to come up with the dialogue for any section that wasn't just redoing a plot from Disney movies.

Spoiler

I may be exaggerating for the sake of a dumb joke, but it's fun to imagine.

Anyway, anyone know where I can get a Japanese Playstation? I found something amazing on Wednesday.

9 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Is Trails a low budget series? Yes. But this makes it seem like you're taking that fact negatively and the following posts confirm that.

No? All I ever talk about those games is how Square Enix games fundamentally don't appeal to me, that has nothing to do with the actual quality that went into them.

I mean, at first it was a joke but you took it so personally.

It's not a seperate issue though, it's still negative, is it not? I could care less if you dislike the storyline, go right ahead! Why should it bother me like this clearly does you?

12 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Ehhh this isn't how he is in my experience at all. This isn't FE6, he can hit plenty of things. Also, you said 14 defense at level 11 is bad, but... Not really? He can tank fairly well - and in Anakin's earlygame, he's the only one who can, really.

I feel most others are more complex about their splicing, at least. There's more parts than just one guy's head and another guy's body.

...Well, in fairness, he does have different hair than Treck. It's just the same color and so similar it's hard to notice, but the hair belongs to someone else. I'm drawing a blank on whom right now.

...This one, though... I agree with you here. Lirin's a slow pegasus knight, which is terrible in a GBAFE game. She has no speed and no con, so she ends up feeling slower than Kevin. Oof.

Then you have better luck than me, cause he is always useless. And for tanking, idk, Kelik always get's good def on my end, soooo Kevin is a useless version of him (along with 99% of the cast ofc)

11 minutes ago, The Roger The Paladin said:

Anyway, anyone know where I can get a Japanese Playstation? I found something amazing on Wednesday.

Why not use PS2 then? I don't recall them being too expensive?

9 minutes ago, lightcosmo said:

mean, at first it was a joke but you took it so personally.

Tbf I had no reason to think this given your previous posts about the topic.

10 minutes ago, lightcosmo said:

It's not a seperate issue though, it's still negative, is it not? I could care less if you dislike the storyline, go right ahead! Why should it bother me like this clearly does you?

I do not even recall the last time I talked about KH's writing. It is not comparable to the semi-constant CS rants.

15 minutes ago, The Roger The Paladin said:

Kingdom Hearts has writing? I thought they threw darts at a board with words like "darkness", "heart", "friend" and "light" to come up with the dialogue for any section that wasn't just redoing a plot from Disney movies.

Hide contents

I may be exaggerating for the sake of a dumb joke, but it's fun to imagine.

Ey there, The Roger.

I have nothing substantial to add to this, since my only experience with Kingdom Hearts's plot is compilations akin to this, but... judging from that, it certainly seems like the development process went something like what you say.

15 minutes ago, The Roger The Paladin said:

Uuuhhhhhhh! Berwick Saga?

...Nah, that's PS2 lol. Do tell, do tell!

1 minute ago, Armagon said:

Tbf I had no reason to think this given your previous posts about the topic.

I do not even recall the last time I talked about KH's writing. It is not comparable to the semi-constant CS rants.

Well, i obviously didn't express that well enough then, sorry about that.

That doesn't answer the question though, why should you disliking something about the game upset me? You're human, you want better, and know that the capabilities are there so you have to say something, it's only natural.

And you are 100% entitled to that opinion, sure i can try to change your opinion, but i'm not going to judge you for it, like you are me.

6 minutes ago, lightcosmo said:

Why not use PS2 then? I don't recall them being too expensive?

PS2 might be a better option really. So good idea.

6 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Ey there, The Roger.

I have nothing substantial to add to this, since my only experience with Kingdom Hearts's plot is compilations akin to this, but... judging from that, it certainly seems like the development process went something like what you say.

I recently played the one on the 3DS, and am currently working on the PSP one during my spare time... when I'm not working on Nintendo 64 stuff. Between that and past experience with 1 & 2, I can say they really like to throw those words around. There's a plot there and all... but I think the gameplay and gratuitous recreations of classic Disney locations remains the big draw.
Though I'm aware there's people that disagree... and I'm fine with that. It's not like the writing's offensively bad. It's just... impossible for me to take too seriously. Which is what happens when you mix Final Fantasy, Disney and a healthy helping of OC. (Then again, the list of things I take seriously is kind of short to begin with.)

1 minute ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Uuuhhhhhhh! Berwick Saga?

...Nah, that's PS2 lol. Do tell, do tell!

Very close guess. Tear Ring. I found a copy of Tear Ring Saga in a stack of Japanese PS1 games. I looked through it thinking it'd be hilarious if it were in there. It actually was.
So now, I'm a copy of Fire Emblem Gaiden and Berwick Saga away from being a Kaga completionist... unless there's a physical edition of Vestaria Saga in existence. I'm not actually sure. Catch is I can't technically test if it's a working copy as yet. But it's a copy

38 minutes ago, lightcosmo said:

Then you have better luck than me, cause he is always useless. And for tanking, idk, Kelik always get's good def on my end, soooo Kevin is a useless version of him (along with 99% of the cast ofc)

I mean, the Kelik comparison is pretty unfair for most people. Judging him on his own merits, you can do way worse than Kevin. Heck, you might even want to take Kevin over a couple of the game's cavaliers! Corben and Eduardo are both so mediocre...

14 minutes ago, The Roger The Paladin said:

I recently played the one on the 3DS, and am currently working on the PSP one during my spare time... when I'm not working on Nintendo 64 stuff. Between that and past experience with 1 & 2, I can say they really like to throw those words around. There's a plot there and all... but I think the gameplay and gratuitous recreations of classic Disney locations remains the big draw.
Though I'm aware there's people that disagree... and I'm fine with that. It's not like the writing's offensively bad. It's just... impossible for me to take too seriously. Which is what happens when you mix Final Fantasy, Disney and a healthy helping of OC. (Then again, the list of things I take seriously is kind of short to begin with.)

That's a good description of how I expect I'd feel about it if I ever play these games. When Mickey Mouse, of all things, in an edgelord black hoodie just teleports out of nowhere going "dID soMeONe mEnTIoN ThE dOoR To DArkNesS?!?", well... I can't think of it as anything but an absurd comedy.

14 minutes ago, The Roger The Paladin said:

Very close guess. Tear Ring. I found a copy of Tear Ring Saga in a stack of Japanese PS1 games. I looked through it thinking it'd be hilarious if it were in there. It actually was.
So now, I'm a copy of Fire Emblem Gaiden and Berwick Saga away from being a Kaga completionist... unless there's a physical edition of Vestaria Saga in existence. I'm not actually sure. Catch is I can't technically test if it's a working copy as yet. But it's a copy

Ah, that was my second guess. Way rad! Hope you enjoy playing through the tale of the man himself. The one and only, your namesake, The Roger The Paladin!

About Vestaria... Yeah, no. This is a firmly digital game. Kaga had no budget, making a few thousand cardridges/disks was far beyond what he could've managed.

43 minutes ago, lightcosmo said:

why should you disliking something about the game upset me?

It wasn't trying to?

43 minutes ago, lightcosmo said:

You're human, you want better, and know that the capabilities are there so you have to say something, it's only natural.

Yes but I also understand limits. Low budget stuff is usually doing the best you can with what you have.

2 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Ah, that was my second guess. Way rad! Hope you enjoy playing through the tale of the man himself. The one and only, your namesake, The Roger The Paladin!

About Vestaria... Yeah, no. This is a firmly digital game. Kaga had no budget, making a few thousand cardridges/disks was far beyond what he could've managed.

Once I find something to play it on. I think I know where I might find something. If not, it's only a matter of time/importing. I'm thinking I might go with the Japanese PS2 like lightcosmo suggested, because that'd give me an option for Berwick too. Also would make it just that bit easier to find a copy of King of Fighters XI I can play, seeing as language isn't very needed for a fighting game.

Because I have no further comment on Vestaria, because that's what I expected, I'll mention something I found amusing in my recent run of Nintendo 64 adventures. Mario Party 3.
It's always been up for debate who the canonical winner in Mario Party games is. One could make a strong argument for Mario Party 2's winner being Mario by the simple fact Toad always says "Welcome to Mario Land" like Mario had won the challenge when you're on the board select. Mario Party 3 however, I can tell you with certainty my opinion is Luigi is the canonical winner of Story mode. I say this because the story has you duel each other character for the 7 stamps. Obviously, if you're playing the character associated with a stamp's attribute (Courage for Mario, Kindness for Yoshi, Strength for DK), they're switched for someone else. Luigi is that someone else. Either he perfectly embodies every attribute except beauty and mischief, which are always Daisy and Waluigi due to the fact they aren't playable in story mode, or he's the canonical winner. Furthermore, the fact Waluigi is the antagonist of the final board only really makes sense if Luigi's the main character. Luigi is indisputably the only one that makes sense as the lead. Because the deal with the Miracle star was to make the winner a super-star,
I posit this victory allowed him his own series. Luigi's Mansion. It's notable the last Mario game on the Nintendo 64 was Mario Party 3 in most territories. Meaning his next appearance for most was in a starring role.

26 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

That's a good description of how I expect I'd feel about it if I ever play these games. When Mickey Mouse, of all things, in an edgelord black hoodie just teleports out of nowhere going "dID soMeONe mEnTIoN ThE dOoR To DArkNesS?!?", well... I can't think of it as anything but an absurd comedy.

58 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Yes but I also understand limits. Low budget stuff is usually doing the best you can with what you have.

If a solo person can balance the game better than the devs could, what hope is there at that point?

What i mean is, the game is fucked gameplay wise, so why expect better?

Edited by lightcosmo

54 minutes ago, The Roger The Paladin said:

Once I find something to play it on. I think I know where I might find something. If not, it's only a matter of time/importing. I'm thinking I might go with the Japanese PS2 like lightcosmo suggested, because that'd give me an option for Berwick too. Also would make it just that bit easier to find a copy of King of Fighters XI I can play, seeing as language isn't very needed for a fighting game

Sounds like a plan.

...You know, it's funny you just happened to pop up today, because just a few minutes ago I discovered, in the Vestaria Saga 2 discord, that we aren't the only ones that call him The Roger. Turns out people out there also call him The Roger! I found that rather noteworthy.

Because I have no further comment on Vestaria, because that's what I expected, I'll mention something I found amusing in my recent run of Nintendo 64 adventures. Mario Party 3.
It's always been up for debate who the canonical winner in Mario Party games is. One could make a strong argument for Mario Party 2's winner being Mario by the simple fact Toad always says "Welcome to Mario Land" like Mario had won the challenge when you're on the board select. Mario Party 3 however, I can tell you with certainty my opinion is Luigi is the canonical winner of Story mode. I say this because the story has you duel each other character for the 7 stamps. Obviously, if you're playing the character associated with a stamp's attribute (Courage for Mario, Kindness for Yoshi, Strength for DK), they're switched for someone else. Luigi is that someone else. Either he perfectly embodies every attribute except beauty and mischief, which are always Daisy and Waluigi due to the fact they aren't playable in story mode, or he's the canonical winner. Furthermore, the fact Waluigi is the antagonist of the final board only really makes sense if Luigi's the main character. Luigi is indisputably the only one that makes sense as the lead. Because the deal with the Miracle star was to make the winner a super-star,

I remember that tidbit about Luigi replacing your character for their stamp battles, but it hadn't hit me that Waluigi is the final opponent too. Your theory actually makes a great amount of sense. Loogi truly is the canon superstar.

I posit this victory allowed him his own series. Luigi's Mansion. It's notable the last Mario game on the Nintendo 64 was Mario Party 3 in most territories. Meaning his next appearance for most was in a starring role.

Ahahah... Okay, that's just wholesome. Ninty gave him his own game for winning the Mario Party! That's so cute.

43 minutes ago, BrightBow said:

Yeah, see, that's what I mean. You can't just have this epic dramatic plotline with characters like Mickey Mouse, Goofy and Donald running around. It doesn't work. Donald going "BBRLBLLLBLBRLBLRLBRLBLALBALBLABLALBALBLABALBABARABA" and skidding around Goofy's totally-dead-forever-not-gonna-come-back-ever body like he's on ice just makes me grin like an idiot.

...I've gotta say though, the timestamp cuts some great parts. Like the cause of Goofy's demise being a completely random explosion causing a singular, magical homing boulder to head right for Mickey's nogging, said boulder cartoonishly bouncing off of Goofy's head like it's made of stone while he goes WOOAA--OO and Donald's voice actor struggling to put on a dramatic voice while forgiving Goofy "about the ice cream."

Kingdom Hearts probably is a wonderful, wonderful comedy, though. I have no doubts about that, I'm willing to bet I'd get a ton of laughs out of these games.

Edited by Saint Rubenio

16 minutes ago, lightcosmo said:

If a solo person can balance the game better than the devs could, what hope is there at that point?

We.....we were talking about the technical aspects. Not game balance. 

7 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Kingdom Hearts probably is a wonderful, wonderful comedy, though. I have no doubts about that, I'm willing to bet I'd get a ton of laughs out of these games

It did give us the Micky Mouse "they beating your ass in the QRTs" image.

2 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

If Tellius ends up winning I will find a way to put Garon there.

Garon coups Daein

1 hour ago, The Roger The Paladin said:

Well that's neat.

Maerchen to kill the Caanan Empire

1 hour ago, The Roger The Paladin said:

It's just... impossible for me to take too seriously.

This is the most serious series.

27 minutes ago, The Roger The Paladin said:

I'll believe it.

Just now, Armagon said:

It did give us the Micky Mouse "they beating your ass in the QRTs" image.

The first time I saw this I died.

That's right, I've been Ghost Rubenio all this time.

Seriously, who thought this was a good idea. I'm so happy they did, but... Sheesh.

Just now, Awoken Dayni said:

Garon coups Daein

Garon takes over the Tellius Duology and makes them good games, at the cost of having him in the plot.

...But for me, that's a prize.

Well that's neat.

Maerchen to kill the Caanan Empire

C'mon, he's literally named after The Roger! Surely he has to kill the Canaan Empire with The Roger!

Okay this has already made me laugh uncontrollably. The sheer disrespect...

the

Oh hey, you linked the same one I was gonna lol.

9 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Sounds like a plan.

...You know, it's funny you just happened to pop up today, because just a few minutes ago I discovered, in the Vestaria Saga 2 discord, that we aren't the only ones that call him The Roger. Turns out people out there also call him The Roger! I found that rather noteworthy.

That's amusing. Though given how great the typo is, can you blame them?
Seeing as we're doing name related things, I recently was looking into some 1940s comics in a price guide. When visiting Steel Sterling's (the guy who jumped into molten steel because it'd apparently give him super powers only for it to actually work) stomping ground, I noticed one of the more obscure back features was a feature called the Red Rube, as described in the last part of the description of the comic's features. I found the premise somewhat amusing.
Udbtuqpo o

5 minutes ago, Awoken Dayni said:

I'll believe it.

I remember way back before Luigi's Mansion being told by an article in a certain game magazine that Mario's last adventure on the Nintendo 64 laid the groundwork for Luigi's solo role on the Gamecube. For years, I assumed adventure as in Paper Mario, what with Luigi's diary mentioning his fear of ghosts and the desire to have an adventure with his name in the title. Now I'm not so certain. If we look at both, you could say they were gearing up for it. Hell, even his Smash 64 bio sort of hints at it.

Ah, KH, talk. I like those games.

... smh, SE, you had Heartless in Cross Unchained that wouldn't look out of place in an Atlantis the Lost Empire world and... no Atlantis world yet...

Just now, Saint Rubenio said:

Oh hey, you linked the same one I was gonna lol.

Donald Duck and Sephiroth in the same universe should be impossible.

We doomed the world in this timeline.

3 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

C'mon, he's literally named after The Roger! Surely he has to kill the Canaan Empire with The Roger!

Tearring won't let him kill the final boss though.

1 minute ago, Acacia Sgt said:

... smh, SE, you had Heartless in Cross Unchained that wouldn't look out of place in an Atlantis the Lost Empire world and... no Atlantis world yet...

There's still KH4.

How is there so many titles to this story?

4 minutes ago, Awoken Dayni said:

There's still KH4.

Let's face it. Kingdom Hearts ends when they run out of Disney Worlds to adapt. I want my Black Cauldron world. I want my Great Mouse Detective World.

5 minutes ago, Awoken Dayni said:

Tearring won't let him kill the final boss though.

But if The Roger can't kill the final boss, and I am The Roger, how will I beat the game? Very puzzling.

6 minutes ago, Awoken Dayni said:

There's still KH4.

True. III already doing precedent of wanting to use mostly new worlds being an indication. Though personally, I felt it should've been held off. III does a few things I feel should've just in general being held off for the start of a new saga, not the end of the first one. Then again, I suppose it would've felt a bit repetitive if most worlds were like Olympus in a sense. Then again, it's already implied Olympus will keep appearing anyway.

That said, with the possibility of worlds with afterlives having a role in IV... give me Coco!!!!!!