Serenes Forest's Teehee Thread

MisterIceTeaPeach

2 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

At least Fates has no gender locks for classes. Women get to be fighters and men get to be troubadours. Now that, that is pretty sweet.

Y'know... I don't get why this bothers people. 

Honestly curious.

• Replies 175.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Shrimpy -Limited Edition-

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

3 minutes ago, Awoken Dayni said:

I guess since I've reached that point I have to put everything in spoilers now

Hide contents

When a villager takes his shirt off to give to Oersted, he actually takes it off and it stays off.

He even asks if you talk to him again if you seriously want to take more off him as he's literally given the shirt of his back.

JUST PLAY LIVEALIVE BRO

And the Trifle's item description: "At a glance, it appears to be edible, but......".

JUST PLAY LIVEALIVE BRO

For those of you not opening boxes, he says this in the box:

3 minutes ago, Awoken Dayni said:

JUST PLAY LIVEALIVE BRO

I agree with the message, personally.

Anyway

Spoiler

Yeah, the shirt got me chuckling for a good second, that's a great moment.

3 minutes ago, lightcosmo said:

Honestly curious.

It doesn't bother me much in games with set classes. But when you introduce reclassing and have arbitrary restrictions based on the gender, well... It's gimping the reclassing system for no good reason. When reclassing is involved, it should be completely free, for the sake of allowing for as much freedom as possible. That, and it's cool to see units breaking the mold, so to speak. In my opinion.

Just now, lightcosmo said:

Also, doesnt fates have gender locks on Great Lord, Lodestar, Tactitian and Vanguard?

True, the DLC classes. I wonder why they changed their tune with the DLC...

Edited by Saint Rubenio

More spoiler boxes!

Spoiler

Well shit it's random encounters after all. Or it's like Pogo's but we can't find the buggers. Well that's unfortunate.

Then again, I grew up with this sorta thing, so it probably won't bother me too much. Hopefully.

2 minutes ago, lightcosmo said:

It seriously bothers people still?

UGH!

Also, doesnt fates have gender locks on Great Lord, Lodestar, Tactitian and Vanguard?

It does on the Amiibo classes (I have no idea why they did this for Grandmaster in particular) and Ballastician/Witch

1 hour ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Naturally, upon noticing my interest, he immediately attempted to sabotage the project by trying to convince me I must play the entire series before Dread to get the most enjoyment out of it.

When did the Metroid fanbase become the Trails fanbase? Dread does a good job explaining the important plot points, even if some things might be a bit confusing for newcomers to the series.

14 minutes ago, Newtype06 said:

Doubt it will win it though, it doesn't have the same clout as Elden Ring.

Xenoblade 3 getting acknowledged for anything would require video game journalists to have good taste, so it will never happen.

4 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Because that would require them being more then just headswaps from the Marth, Ike, Robin and Lucina models.

7 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

It doesn't bother me much in games with set classes. But when you introduce reclassing and have arbitrary restrictions based on the gender, well... It's gimping the reclassing system for no good reason. When reclassing is involved, it should be completely free, for the sake of allowing for as much freedom as possible. That, and it's cool to see units breaking the mold, so to speak. In my opinion.

Well, technically speaking, they usually have restrictions (Awakening Avatar being an exception.)

If they want options to feel unique, i think thats fine honestly.

4 minutes ago, Awoken Dayni said:

It does on the Amiibo classes (I have no idea why they did this for Grandmaster in particular) and Ballastician/Witch

Right, forgot those.

Edited by lightcosmo

1 minute ago, Awoken Dayni said:

More spoiler boxes!

Hide contents

Well shit it's random encounters after all. Or it's like Pogo's but we can't find the buggers. Well that's unfortunate.

Then again, I grew up with this sorta thing, so it probably won't bother me too much. Hopefully.

Spoiler

Yeah, there are still random encounters. Too bad, but free fleeing makes it a bit less of a pain than it could've been. Didn't mind it, myself. But then, I'm massively biased as far as this game is involved.

Just now, Lightchao42 said:

When did the Metroid fanbase become the Trails fanbase? Dread does a good job explaining the important plot points, even if some things might be a bit confusing for newcomers to the series.

I don't think I care about the plot or the lore in Metroid, to be brutally honest. Adam was the worst part of Fusion. I just wanna have fun here. After I have fun, maybe I'll care.

Just now, Lightchao42 said:

Xenoblade 3 getting acknowledged for anything would require video game journalists to have good taste, so it will never happen.

I thought this game was getting tens out of ten all over the place.

6 minutes ago, BrightBow said:

Because that would require them being more then just headswaps from the Marth, Ike, Robin and Lucina models.

Hah! I suppose so.

4 minutes ago, lightcosmo said:

Well, technically speaking, they usually have restrictions (Awakening Avatar being an exception.)

If they want options to feel unique, i think thats fine honestly.

I suppose that's fair, but the restrictions just feel random most of the time. Why can't men heal on a horse? Why can't women use axes on foot? Why can't men ride flying white horses? Why can't women ride tanks? It's just strange when you stop to think about it.

I mean, is it any different than "only swordmasters can wield Wow Dao" in GBA FE?

Classes are a lot more important and impactful to the gameplay than a single weapon, though.

Still, don't get me wrong, it's not a massive gamebreaking flaw for me. I appreciate Fates for doing away with it, it allows for some fun combinations, but it doesn't ruin the game when it's not a thing.

Edited by Saint Rubenio

17 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

I will take that.

I'm proud of you for saying that.

It's gonna be a close bout between the two of them, I'd say. The weebs vs the elitists, so to speak.

More like underground vs mainstream. JRPGs don't have the same power they used to have.

Me, I'll sit in the corner there with the funny rabbids game, probably. It has Mario Payne, Bow Loogi, an edgelord called Edge, a sentient disco ball, I mean, it's already the game for me.

When are you going to continue Dragon Age: Origins, Ruben? The expansion is waiting for you.

14 minutes ago, lightcosmo said:

Honestly curious.

I just want to make a male Pegasus Knight, man.

8 minutes ago, Lightchao42 said:

B-but I thought video game journalists loved Xenoblade...

Well, at least the first one

1 minute ago, Newtype06 said:

More like underground vs mainstream. JRPGs don't have the same power they used to have.

What? But... I see it everywhere! Everyone loves it! It's getting tens from all the sources imaginable! Am I missing something here? Is there a whole Xenothree-hating side of the internet I've just not noticed? Is my furrowed brow keeping me from seeing it? Am I... Am I Xander!?

When are you going to continue Dragon Age: Origins, Ruben? The expansion is waiting for you.

This is the same question my friend's been wondering regarding the New Vegas DLC. The truth is, I'm just terrible with DLC.

I just want to make a male Pegasus Knight, man.

Yeah, see. That's the spirit.

6 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

I suppose that's fair, but the restrictions just feel random most of the time. Why can't men heal on a horse? Why can't women use axes on foot? Why can't men ride flying white horses? Why can't women ride tanks? It's just strange when you stop to think about it.

Classes are a lot more important and impactful to the gameplay than a single weapon, though.

Still, don't get me wrong, it's not a massive gamebreaking flaw for me. I appreciate Fates for doing away with it, it allows for some fun combinations, but it doesn't ruin the game when it's not a thing.

Well, Awakening has Hero that can wield axes. 

I cant say for the others, but they do have axe footies tbf.

The weapon was just an example. First thing i thought of, considering they could do the same with any class, they seem to pick Swordmaster more often than not.

4 minutes ago, Newtype06 said:

just want to make a male Pegasus Knight, man.

And y' know what? Thats totally okay! 

But I wouldnt say the game is limited just cause genders dont share options personally.

I mean, Females cant be snipers in Tellius, but a horse archer still shoots arrows, do they not?

Why do they HAVE to be an infantry archer for it to count?

(This isnt directed at anyone, just asking.)

Edited by lightcosmo

Shadow Dragon and New Mystery were the worst about it because they limited female class access to exactly the classes that female characters had in the original game. To the point where the female class set has Paladin but not cavalier, because the only woman in that line was a Paladin.

You could maybe excuse that for Shadow Dragon. Sure, they had the reclassing mechanic. But maybe they initially didn't intend for it, so when they did came up with it and implemented it, they simply didn't have any sprites for it.
But then there comes New Mystery of the Emblem which... despite the avatar being completely central to the game... continues the exact same pattern. Women get General because Sheema exist but not Knight because there was no female knight in the original game
It's even more baffling considering the female General isn't even using a new sprite. It's just the same sprite in pink. So why not just give the Knight the same treatment while you are at it?

Edited by BrightBow

8 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

At least Fates has no gender locks for classes. Women get to be fighters and men get to be troubadours. Now that, that is pretty sweet.

That is indeed golden.

Also I'm not perfectly sure on the history of male Pegasus knights but Subaki is the first one in a while, ain't he?

10 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

In fairness, I feel the secondaries in Fates are consistently better than the awful main characters regardless of gender, just in general lol

Pretty much, though I do unironically like Takumi and Ryoma even if they don't fully land in all situations, and I like the idea of Camilla.

Sakura is also pretty good but it's exclusively because of her English voice actress.

14 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

I   h a v e   f o u n d   y o u r   w e a k n e s s ,   Q u e t z a l

...What, were you looking for it this entire time?

Just now, Awoken Dayni said:
  Hide contents

Bear OP, please nerf.

Well, in that case, you'll just have to

Spoiler

Spoiler

deal with it.

Spoiler

Thought I was going to make a bear pun?

Spoiler

Please, you insult me.

Spoiler

My sense of humor is not so base.

Spoiler

I am disappointed you are still opening these boxes

Spoiler

expecting a bear pun to come up at some point.

Spoiler

Still going?

Spoiler

Foolish person, you waste your time.

Spoiler

You could be doing such productive things with your time right now.

Spoiler

You could be learning a trade.

Spoiler

Enjoying a new hobby.

Spoiler

Appreciating the gift of life.

Spoiler

And yet here you are.

Spoiler

Opening boxes over and over in search of satisfaction.

Spoiler

No end in sight.

Spoiler

Promise unfulfilled.

Spoiler

Illusions shattered.

Just now, Awoken Dayni said:

That explains some prior statements.

Oh dear. Did I say something again?

3 minutes ago, GuardianSing said:

That is indeed golden.

Also I'm not perfectly sure on the history of male Pegasus knights but Subaki is the first one in a while, ain't he?

Subaki and Shigure, seeing how they came to be together.

And you can strike the "in a while." They're the first. In fact, this is one of the few gender locks that actually was acknowledged from time to time. Not explained, mind, they just established in a couple games that pegasi hate men for... no apparent reason, really.

Pretty much, though I do unironically like Takumi and Ryoma even if they don't fully land in all situations, and I like the idea of Camilla.

Fair enough.

Sakura is also pretty good but it's exclusively because of her English voice actress.

Sakura is the most unremarkable of them. I tend to forget she exists. Amidst a sea of godawful characters, each competing for the position of most hilariously awful character ever (Xander wins by a landslide), she's just... sort of there. She's not too bad. She does nothing memorable. She doesn't even look memorable, she's basically just a loli, redheaded version of the generic shrine maiden.

...What, were you looking for it this entire time?

I look for everyone's weakness.

36 minutes ago, lightcosmo said:

Honestly curious.

Every time I play Three Houses, I think about how fabulously noble it would be to have Ferdinand riding a Pegasus into battle. Not to mention every male lance boon unit is locked out of one of the best lance classes for no real reason. Female units are entirely locked out of a class to benefit an entire weapon type, being gauntlets.

But looking past Three Houses, afaik FEs tend to be pretty evenly split between guy and girl playable characters (no other genders, unfortunately, although tbf I wouldn’t trust them to), so half the cast being locked out of some classes really hurts the mechanic for literally no reason. Men and pegasus knights are the biggest example, because most people consider fliers to be some of the best and coolest classes, so men not getting them sucks for actually having fun. Which is why people play the games.

14 minutes ago, GuardianSing said:

Afaik he and Shigure are the ONLY ones.

38 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

I agree with the message, personally.

One day…

Just now, Saint Rubenio said:

Dew it, Sooks. Dew it.

The problem is mostly that I’m not in a heavy video games mood right now, and the problem is that when I am and I try to start a new, cool game to get back into it, I end up being very… non commital with them and it doesn’t last long. Remember Rogue Legacy 2?

9 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Subaki and Shigure, seeing how they came to be together.

And you can strike the "in a while." They're the first. In fact, this is one of the few gender locks that actually was acknowledged from time to time. Not explained, mind, they just established in a couple games that pegasi hate men for... no apparent reason, really.

Really!

Well I'm glad they can get the taste of flight finally as well!

11 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Sakura is the most unremarkable of them. I tend to forget she exists. Amidst a sea of godawful characters, each competing for the position of most hilariously awful character ever (Xander wins by a landslide), she's just... sort of there. She's not too bad. She does nothing memorable. She doesn't even look memorable, she's basically just a loli, redheaded version of the generic shrine maiden.

See the thing about Sakura is that every once in a while her voice actress will out of nowhere speak a lot deeper and softer and it sends chills down your spine, It's almost like asmr.

Spoiler

Armstrong's a generic enemy in this game.

Oersted confirmed to be the strongest character in gaming #Godalive #OerstedtopsSoopourman

21 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Hide contents

deal with it.

Hide contents

Thought I was going to make a bear pun?

Hide contents

Please, you insult me.

Hide contents

My sense of humor is not so base.

Hide contents

I am disappointed you are still opening these boxes

Hide contents

expecting a bear pun to come up at some point.

Hide contents

Still going?

Hide contents

Foolish person, you waste your time.

Hide contents

You could be doing such productive things with your time right now.

Hide contents

You could be learning a trade.

Hide contents

Enjoying a new hobby.

Hide contents

Appreciating the gift of life.

Hide contents

And yet here you are.

Hide contents

Opening boxes over and over in search of satisfaction.

Hide contents

No end in sight.

Hide contents

Promise unfulfilled.

Hide contents

Illusions shattered.

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

I should try at least. Take a step in the right direction.

Despite it all there's a feeling still. A feeling that I can still trust again.

It could have been all the above.

Perhaps an overly trusting attitude.

Mayheps it was to avoid acknowledging the fact that I let myself follow this course.

Maybe I hopes I would not be made the fool, but that had definitely not been true before now.

Then why let it be so taken to heart?

I had let myself open to such foolishness. Become vulnerable to it.

No, for I had left my guard unattended at some point.

If I am more than merely acting the fool is it being taken advantage of?

Only to end up being deceived and tricked so simply.

If I came to this thread seeking merriment and a succor to a world uncaring.

All this to make me wonder if I had been betrayed.

A pun so cliche that by acknowledging that it is this sentence becomes cliche?

A piece that left mere bafflement as to why it was used?

And for what? A wild goose chase that took you more time to prepare than for I to open?

I come to the thread expressing frustration.

As if levity was the answer I seeked in the moment.

What makes it so certain I was opening up spoilers looking for puns?

21 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Oh dear. Did I say something again?

Nothing serious, but it certainly explains PoR.

8 minutes ago, Sooks said:

Afaik he and Shigure are the ONLY ones.

And technically they're not pegasi in order to keep a weird bit of lore canon that men straight up can't ride pegasi.

I mean, I know Bellerophon fell off Pegasus in the myth, but that was after an extensive period of using Pegasus as a mount.

Edited by Awoken Dayni

1 hour ago, Newtype06 said:
Would you kindly stop slandering me?

Why would we have to go out of the way to slander you Newtype? Your sins already lay weight heavily on your soul.