• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Shrimpy -Limited Edition-

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

Spoiler

Man nuking existence has never been so fun

Then it boots back to the title screen and I thought it suggested I might have had saves wiped. Which would have been an impressive dick move for the remake.

Edited by Awoken Dayni

I just realized I never did give some full impressions on Live a Live.

Well, much of what I've already said in the past about the original applies here. And I don't have much more to add, with what I've been saying as I played. To summarize: It's a highly experimental, super unique JRPG. Seven chapters, each playing differently, each paying homage to a classic trope of last century fiction. While it's likely not all of the chapters will be anyone's cup of tea, I'd say it's also as likely that everyone will find a few they'll quite enjoy. It's a big change of pace from the usual JRPG routine, in gameplay, structure, mechanics and story. The remake, while easy on the changes for the most part, has made a lot of subtle fixes, QoL and such that make it more enjoyable than the archaic original.

However, while I definitely think all of Live a Live is quite fun and worth checking out, what truly makes the game great, what truly makes the story memorable, is what comes after. And the remake's superior presentation, soundtrack and voice acting has elevated what was already, to use the expression you guys love so much, "pure kino" to even greater heights. It kills me not to be able to say anything specific, because this is SUPER spoilerific, and yet, it's also what makes the game.

I went in with spoilers in the original. I went into the remake having seen it a good number of times. And yet it still gave me chills. Absolutely amazing. I really cannot recommend it enough. 25-30 hours is what it'll take you, give or take. If you like JRPGs even slightly, give it a shot if you have a chance. It may not become your favorite game ever, but I humbly believe it's worth experiencing, because it's different.

Oh, and the soundtrack is godly. Shinomura never disappoints.

12 hours ago, Awoken Dayni said:

Oh, I got a survey from Ninto asking about Livealive.

For some reason it asked if I'd played other games in the series.

Ah yes, Live a Live 2: Living Boogaloo. My favorite videogame. Though it annoyed me when they killed off Sundown for dramatic effect.

11 hours ago, lightcosmo said:

Nope, i managed. 

Criminal.

11 hours ago, Benice said:

I am back! What did I miss?

Everyone is talking about Xenoblade 3. Dayni and I sit in our corner and discuss why Live a Live is Good a Good. Brightbow's playing Karajan Saga.

9 hours ago, GuardianSing said:

You know at first I thought it'd be fun to make Felicia fight on the front lines but instead she just got hit by two attacks that were in the 10-17 range of hit chance back to back and was finished off by some random sky knight.

I'm not mad as much as I am bewildered.

This is why dodgetanks are bad.

7 hours ago, BrightBow said:

A 2x attacking sword with a massive defense and res boost that halves all incoming damage and also has infinite durability. And I can just have that?

Please. This is Vestaria. Of course you can have that.

I was worried that her stats would not measure up for this point of the game, but that changes things quite a lot. Just gotta watch out for paralysis. If that sword is offline, 30 attack is gonna be enough to one-shot her

Honestly, that character is pretty bleh. The sword doesn't do much damage and her availability is nonexistent.

4 hours ago, Awoken Dayni said:

I saw. Good to see more people are giving the kindlee priest the time of day.

2 hours ago, Awoken Dayni said:
  Hide contents

Fucking Hygrophobia.

Gets an attack that sets you to sleep, then an attack that drains your health right after and two of those will kill.

Fuck sake.

Doesn't help that Shardfall would not hit and I have to ask is that on fucking purpose? All the other ranged moves except Dragonsoul were resisted so that makes sense to my paranoid mind.

Definitely a pain of a boss, do I need to be higher?

Edit: For some reason my first attempt Shardfall didn't hit once. Second time, it didn't miss and with running away like a bitch it was enough to win. What is this fight?

I don't think I had much trouble with any of these bosses. Maybe I was a bit too high, who knows.

1 hour ago, Awoken Dayni said:

Oh yeah, we're shoulder deep in spoilers now.

Hide contents

ODIO AWAKENS!

Why yes, I couldn't record the entire ending bit with Streibough onward. Thanks Squeenix, I hate it.

There's a bunch I could talk about the ending, but I think I might as well see where the Lord of Dark is going with this, eh?

Spoiler

Streibough's voice acting is brilliant. And while I know it's a rather divisive choice, I loved the Ye Olde English in this chapter.

Also, I love the nuance added in the remake. Streibough claims he had "begged" Oersted "for love" and Oersted ignored him due to his greedy and competitive nature. Alethea claims she put her faith in Oersted "for Father", but that Streibough still loved him despite that. It seems to imply the two of them were already lovers before the king wagered her hand on a tournament. Streibough asked his friend to let him have this, and Oersted refused because he wanted to have his glory and his princess.

And then, Oersted proceeds to pretty much confirm this with his "did I not serve and seek my fair and just reward?" line. All in all, the remake situation is a bit more gray, which lends itself better to the twist. Not that it needed more, I mean, just the fact that the generic silent JRPG protagonist turns out to be the main villain of mankind is amazing enough. But I like the little details here.

Of course, this doesn't change the fact that Streibough is a manipulative piece of shit with a massive inferiority complex. If anyone is absolved somewhat by this, it's Alethea. Girl was stuck between two assholes, just one of them was better at hiding it. She definitely didn't handle herself with much grace either, but... Sheesh, her options weren't exactly stellar.

Hide contents

I hit Sundown for just under 1000 damage with Gatling Barrage.

And we said it was a bad move.

Ah, you played through the best part of the game already.

Hide contents

Man nuking existence has never been so fun

Then it boots back to the title screen and I thought it suggested I might have had saves wiped. Which would have been an impressive dick move for the remake.

An impressive dick move indeed, but woulda been cool.

...Nah but seriously, I'm glad they didn't do that.

Anyway, yeah. Very true.

41 minutes ago, Shrimpy said:

Teehee thread lately

Hide contents

pq97vuu4pfo01.png?width=420&auto=webp&s=

https://images2.imgbox.com/88/c2/5NDafz6c_o.jpg

Edited by Saint Rubenio

6 hours ago, twilitfalchion said:

you will pay for your insolence

yOu wIlL pAy fOr yOuR iNsOlEnCe

NO YOU'LL PAY

FUCK YOU

I see you spent an hour on that fight.

1 hour ago, Shrimpy said:

Ok but Fiona tho

She has like no attacks

But my whole team is runin around with 5 buffs lmao

There is a reason why I brought her into the final dungeon. 

Also her Chain Order refills Party Gauge allowing for a total of five rounds+one Ouroborus Order.

Lanz absolutely sucks as Signifier tho, I wish he wasn't the Inheritor.

Edited by Armagon

30 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Honestly, that character is pretty bleh. The sword doesn't do much damage and her availability is nonexistent.

Yeah, she is clearly more of a tank. Which feels weird to say about someone with 3 defense, but I suppose Vestaria Saga 2 is funny like that.

She also ended the map with 9 defense, so she is not gonna die anytime soon.

Edited by BrightBow

@Newtype06

All right, starting Awakening now. Some girl in bronze valkyrie armor come out of nowhere is my sole companion. Zevran, Sten and Morrigan are gone. Morrigan and Sten make sense, but where'd Zevran go off to? I thought we said to stay together... Ah well, I'll do with this other woman for now. We'll see if she stays.

Aaaand naturally we start with disaster, because this is Dragon Age. Somehow I'm sure this is my fault.

20 minutes ago, Shrimpy said:

Yh it made me scratch my head as well, especially since he just got soul hacker

I did those two Hero Quests like 10 hours apart lol.

https://images2.imgbox.com/71/52/tzcrA4rp_o.jpg

Ahh, I see everyone in this world remains as blind as ever. I thought he could be referring to the warrior girl, but no, he was talking about me. Of course.

This dude's fun. I will take him with me... Or would've, but it seems I made a choice that didn't result in him coming along. Oh well. Hopefully he'll come back soon. Or, y'know, at all.

EDIT: Oh God I already died twice. I cannot remember how to play this game. Maybe I'll have to go back and pick an option that will get this guy to join me, I could use a mage here.

Edited by Saint Rubenio

53 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Lanz absolutely sucks as Signifier tho, I wish he wasn't the Inheritor.

Getting the class unlocked for everyone takes like, 15-30 mins, though.

I'm glad they didn't make leveling tedious. That's something alot of RPG's seem to enjoy, making leveling up boring after a certain benchmark.

It goes by SO quickly in XC3!

5 hours ago, Awoken Dayni said:

(Does the 100% have to worry about preventing cards from aging somehow?

Completing the Gathering isn't negatively affected by aging. But, aging can often work against the player, yes. The primary instance being food-related cards, your primary source of healing, most of it goes rotten after some hours, and there is no way to stop that. You can find yourself with some Bananas, and five hours later they're Rotten Bananas, which have no healing powers whatsoever and instead can deal a pittance of damage when thrown at the enemy. Another is the Solar Saber, an attack Magnus usable by the main character Kalas, these are imbued with light, but after just one hour lose that light and most of their power and become plain old Sabers, which are the second weakest sword card in the game. Even worse, Sol Sabers show up after halfway into the game, so the quick downgrade is awful, and it's one of only two attack Magnus that can negatively age outside of the gimmicky elemental Yells.

Baten Kaitos Origins did some refining here. They slashed the size of the Gathering from 1000 cards to more than 600, and abolished the aging of all Magnus that you can use in battle. The only things that can age in BKO are Quest Magnus, which as the name indicates, are mostly used in side quests and also the main story. Although BKO did endow many of the Quest Magnus with useful passive effects that can work in battle simply for carrying them around, and some can be used to provide a slight upgrade to equipment Magnus too.

21 minutes ago, lightcosmo said:

I'm glad they didn't make leveling tedious. That's something alot of RPG's seem to enjoy, making leveling up boring after a certain benchmark.

It goes by SO quickly in XC3!

While on one hand true, on the other hand it's very easy to get overlvld.

The level curve doesn't take side content into consideration at all. On the other hand, it's side content so understandable why they didn't.

But the side content is real meaty in this game

Edited by Shrimpy

12 minutes ago, Shrimpy said:

While on one hand true, on the other hand it's very easy to get overlvld.

The level curve doesn't take side content into consideration at all. On the other hand, it's side content so understandable why they didn't.

But the side content is real meaty in this game

What's fucked is that they allow you to level down post-game.

Like why the fuck can't you do it before then, they literally allowed us to do so in DE.

4 minutes ago, Shrimpy said:

Bruh

It's like they thought about it and they still arbitrarily locked it away.

But like they did it by default in XenoblaDE, why regress?!

1 hour ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Ah yes, Live a Live 2: Living Boogaloo. My favorite videogame. Though it annoyed me when they killed off Sundown for dramatic effect.

Dude, spoilers!

I don't think I had much trouble with any of these bosses. Maybe I was a bit too high, who knows.

I mean, aside from the last one where I got RNG screwed apparently and the first one maybe having potential due to how powerful the one attack it used got for some reason I didn't run into too much issue.

I think my levels for each were 10, 11, 12, 12.

Reveal hidden contents

Streibough's voice acting is brilliant. And while I know it's a rather divisive choice, I loved the Ye Olde English in this chapter.

Also, I love the nuance added in the remake. Streibough claims he had "begged" Oersted "for love" and Oersted ignored him due to his greedy and competitive nature. Alethea claims she put her faith in Oersted "for Father", but that Streibough still loved him despite that. It seems to imply the two of them were already lovers before the king wagered her hand on a tournament. Streibough asked his friend to let him have this, and Oersted refused because he wanted to have his glory and his princess.

And then, Oersted proceeds to pretty much confirm this with his "did I not serve and seek my fair and just reward?" line. All in all, the remake situation is a bit more gray, which lends itself better to the twist. Not that it needed more, I mean, just the fact that the generic silent JRPG protagonist turns out to be the main villain of mankind is amazing enough. But I like the little details here.

Of course, this doesn't change the fact that Streibough is a manipulative piece of shit with a massive inferiority complex. If anyone is absolved somewhat by this, it's Alethea. Girl was stuck between two assholes, just one of them was better at hiding it. She definitely didn't handle herself with much grace either, but... Sheesh, her options weren't exactly stellar.

Spoiler

There is a LOT to unpack with the scenario to my mind. I want to look at each narrative character: Streibough, Alathea, Lucrece (well, the people at least) and then Oersted, as the more morally complex of the bunch here (Poor Hasshe and Uranus, too good for this land).

When I first heard Streibough give his speech, my mind shot to incel. Yeah I know, harsh. But let's back up a bit. He definitely feels a bitterness about losing that couldn't have been put to written dialogue alone, but he covers that decently enough that he then can swagger up to Oersted and say that they should be enough to slay any angels or demons. He's knowledgeable enough to know about the shields by looking at them, thus giving the in to speak to Uranus and then Hasshe. If we assume he's coming at the quest genuinely with no ill intent (which I can believe, though he probably has some understandable resentment for Oersted for always playing second fiddle to some knight who is suggested (by him I caveat) as being a man of violence and little else), he does have the tools to do so without Oersted. Then we reach the fake Lord of Dark, where Streibough responds to Hasshe's dying words by being focused on his own shit (which makes his calling Oersted out for not getting Hasshe out with them when they thought they were going to get caved in on (as he expressly says if they take him with them they'll die for sure) a bit rich), finds the secret door, fakes the cave in to pretend to die and then finds Alathea. For the rest of the chapter he's at the back with Alathea until Oersted finds him, but he does show Oersted visions and illusions to make Oersted commit regicide and see Alathea tormented (true or not). He also speaks before each of the bosses, wanting to see Oersted emmiserated before he strikes the killing blow.

And then Oersted reaches the peak. Streibough had found the secret, but he used it as an opportunity to get one over Oersted and win Alathea's love for himself. He revels in how much he got away with scaring off Oersted and leaving Hasshe behind. Then confesses to the deception leading to the king's death and is frustrated by Oersted coming to stop his dream. He goes out of his way to call Oersted a beast here driven only to triumph and victory over all. He says that be begged in the name of love, (but it's not expressly shown he did this, but he said he'd hold nothing back during the tourney and that he wouldn't yield this. He asks the gods for the strength to get glory deserved, not something more akin to him suggesting his love for Alathea, though if we go that route he does seem certain he couldn't ask Oersted to do so with the ending dialogue in mind). He then gets into calling Oersted a lustful wretch (which I'd say is a slight stretch considering Oersted doesn't particularly show emotion, especially not that up to then) and someone who never loved, lost or felt shame, which I'd say he's saying as him insisting he's better than Oersted because he felt all this pain and hurt. At this stage is when he insists Oersted'll repay his loyalty by dying..... only for Oersted to kill him instead, one last greedy victory when Oersted could've just let hi win. I'm assuming he was dead by the time Alathea came out too, never getting to say farewell to his love after Oersted did him in. Course, I'm taking the interpretation of Streibough not being in a reciprocated relationship with Alathea before events play out. This does make him less sympathetic in this argument.

Alathea meanwhile, yeah look at what she's left with. Pushed into marriage of someone who won a contest of strength, she almost immediately sounds like she's only doing this for king and country (she doesn't exactly speak of Oersted in romantic terms), though trying to make the best of the situation and trying to be close to Oersted. Then she gets whisked away by the fake Lord of Dark to be locked up right at the end of it. After this, she's then kept a hostage all the way to the end, tormented by the Lord of Dark, which is what Oersted sees but for all we know could be entirely an illusion considering it wouldn't be the first time. Now Streibough could have been doing both, playing Odio to scare her and then being there for Alathea as he pretends to be stuck under his service and thus not being able to get her away from there. He could have been saying it was safer to stay there than risk Oersted breaking up what happiness they have left, especially after Oersted kills the king. But I'm throwing myself off talking about Alathea herself. She does seem to me like she's trying to make the relationship work in the opening. Then Oersted returns and kills Streibough in front of her. She immediately asks him not to touch Streibough (bit late sadly), asks why it took him so long to show up and how she had trusted him for the King's sake only for all this to happen. She recognises Streibough did wrong while also acknowledging his love for her. She then goes and talks about Streibough had been left suffer, second fiddle to Oersted and I feel like she may have been hearing a fair few talking points from Streibough. But the says Oersted's victories were hard won by better men and I agree with this line as a kinda Oersted apologist before I started this. Because it was more than Streibough who was sacrificed and we have seen that in Hasshe and Uranus, even if the former could have been buried better but for one asshole and the latter tried to redeem a man doomed to fall. Back to the speech, she truly resents Oersted for having been like this and being insistent on being the superior one in the room. She comes out and says she won't betray her love for Streibough, which yeah that says a ton about how this marriage went. Then, because she has noone left to trust as Oersted's killed them she decides better to die than be killed inside. Oersted runs to stop her and of course fails, his prize taken by it's own hand. But yeah, prize.

I mean, she was essentially made into a prize by her father. The King does this first thing in the story to have a son-in-law who is strong for the future of Lucrece, then when she's kidnapped proceeds to insist that Hasshe needs to be found to defeat him, but Oersted then offers to do it in Hasshe's stead and the King seems to genuinely want to see him succeed. From there we see a people wanting to see the Lord of Dark slain, cheering Oersted and then we hear Uranus speak of how their story ended (with Hasshe truly sick of them and Uranus tired but wanting to see Hasshe happier) and how they kept asking for their aid. Hasshe was still a hero to the end, dying for the cause after fighting the fake, Uranus noble and true still. But the King upon hearing of Streibough and Hasshe's deaths asks where the fiend who took his child is. Which, understandable. Then Oersted's tricked into killing the king and the people look on him as the Lord of Dark (which, I'll be honest this stretch of the chapter's the weakest. He can commit regicide without being a demon y'know). Suddenly they make him out to be the monster and act like all the dots connect, that Oersted did it all and they cast him out (which, yeah. Maybe they should have kept him). They torture Uranus to near death to get information. Uranus asks Oersted to show a better nature and avoid committing violence against them, but the guards will take him captive eventually (either at Archon's Roost or by turning himself in at Lucrece, which again, weird for the lord of Dark to be doing). Then when Uranus dies freeing Oersted from his cell, he also calls on Oersted to find Alathea to seek redemption. And of course he gets blamed for that one too. Once Oersted takes the mantle of Odio, the people see true misery for the crimes of a king.

Oersted meanwhile, I'll admit that I may have given him too much leeway in that line you mention on first listen. Knowing that he had been told to find Alathea and try to seek his innocence only to double down on his guilt, kill his oldest friend and see the woman he was married to kill herself rather than be with him it's not like he's had a good day. Outside his willingly taking a woman as his bride as prize for a tournament (Which Streibogh very much is fine with taking part in, even if he was in a relationship with her beforehand which I suspect if he was there could have been more done to prevent things getting to this state), we don't get much in Oersted's worst nature (considering he turns himself into the guards after his crime when they let him go, never mind that the murder was committed using manipulation) up to the end where Streibough and Alathea deliver a haymaker. At that stage he's had Hasshe and Uranus tell him to be better against a kingdom hunting for him, a king who he wouldn't have killed outside of the deception and his wife and best friend dead in front of him after the friend had led a campaign of deception and his wife said she had fallen out of love knowing his behaviour and that the two had bonded with this knowledge. Some just reward for his service eh? He feels he has been shortchanged and in the limited scope of having been told he was to marry into the royal family and seek out the Lord of Dark he had certainly tried to achieve these tasks. That he had fought as he seemed to have been raised into and all it got him was isolation and condemnation.  He then accepts that he is a demon, if people cast him out and want naught to do with him why not I suppose. A monster of circumstance it could be argued, but he runs with it considering he aids the other Odio forms to seek their desires.

Though I could be giving him too much credit for his pain. Oersted being confirmed to not be a mute before the final speech but someone who doesn't seem to emote much outside battle (the battle quotes seem like he feels he has the upper hand, aside for "For Lucrece") is certainly a character who could be considered a concern, on top of his minimal emoting before the end too (if he's sociopathic for instance). And of course the first event of this story, the tourney and subsequent marrying off of a woman to satisfy the king he has no qualms about. Maybe that suggests a malaise of this part of the timeline, but in the grand scheme of things he ends up proceeding to say that all of time deserves to suffer.

There's a further question I have in all this. Where is Odio in all this? Hasshe was said to have killed him 20 years before, but someone had to have given the order to the fake to carry off Alathea despite his not being there when they arrived. And there's many guesses that can be made, but there's two I want to put out there. The first is the idea that Oersted was in some manner made into Odio's new vessel. Now, he is young enough that it could have been he was born after Hasshe killed the Lord of Dark (Hasshe does call him boy), grew up to become Oersted and then Odio after all this had occurred. Now, as you can tell that's pretty anticlimactic to the whole thing right? The second and the one I'd believe is that the energies and power of Odio are tied to Archon's Roost for someone of sufficient malice to take for their own. It explains how Streibough was able to use the power (and Megalovania playing in their final bout), as well as suggests maybe the purple lights I mentioned earlier were guiding them to Odio on purpose. Where it could arguably fall short is that Streibough was clearly not that powerful if Oersted could still defeat him singlehandedly, but then again Streibough was using the power to fulfill his own fantasies while Oersted intended to really deliver on the destruction of humanity, though how much Oersted himself wants that is up for debate with his ending which of course has him wallowing alone having finished the job but clearly being dissatisfied.

Another tidbit before I come cutting at my argument with your point of Streibough and Alathea: the story itself seems to say that by hero's hand must fall the Lord of Dark after describing Hasshe. That seems to suggest that Hasshe was the only one who could have stopped the Lord of Dark if her got to the final peak. It seems like he didn't last time either. That seems in a way to unintentionally doom the rest of them considering his fate and how he'd ostracised himself from a world that saw him as of use for as long as possible before he faked his death.

Your point about Streibough and Alathea being in a relationship beforehand and this being why Streibough was so determined to win at the start. Thing is if they weren't in a relationship and Streibough was trying to win Alathea for his own beforehand this story still holds. Regardless of if he pretended to be the Lord of Dark and her only friend in the Archon's Roost or if he was just showing that to deceive Oersted and he was fully honest with Alathea, she has been given this perspective that changes her opinion of Oersted to be the person who just takes for himself and had no awareness of others around him. The reason why I bring this up is that it matters to their relationship. He could have been manipulating the situation regardless, but pretending to be her jailer and confidant in her isolation is pretty shit on it's own, whereas if he was just pretending she was in danger he seemingly wanted Oersted to see that he had lost her and fall to despair before Streibough finished him off (judging by the boss dialogues)

TLDR: Medieval period has no true hero in the end.

There's a fair piece I had to write for this, sorry I took a while. I may have gone over the entire chapter dialogue to be sure (because SOMEONE had to make sure I couldn't save screenshots).

1 hour ago, Shrimpy said:

Teehee thread lately

Reveal hidden contents

pq97vuu4pfo01.png?width=420&auto=webp&s=

Spoiler

6 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Completing the Gathering isn't negatively affected by aging. But, aging can often work against the player, yes. The primary instance being food-related cards, your primary source of healing, most of it goes rotten after some hours, and there is no way to stop that. You can find yourself with some Bananas, and five hours later they're Rotten Bananas, which have no healing powers whatsoever and instead can deal a pittance of damage when thrown at the enemy. Another is the Solar Saber, an attack Magnus usable by the main character Kalas, these are imbued with light, but after just one hour lose that light and most of their power and become plain old Sabers, which are the second weakest sword card in the game. Even worse, Sol Sabers show up after halfway into the game, so the quick downgrade is awful, and it's one of only two attack Magnus that can negatively age outside of the gimmicky elemental Yells.

Baten Kaitos Origins did some refining here. They slashed the size of the Gathering from 1000 cards to more than 600, and abolished the aging of all Magnus that you can use in battle. The only things that can age in BKO are Quest Magnus, which as the name indicates, are mostly used in side quests and also the main story. Although BKO did endow many of the Quest Magnus with useful passive effects that can work in battle simply for carrying them around, and some can be used to provide a slight upgrade to equipment Magnus too.

I'm assuming you can't recharge this Sol Sabers? That seems like that should be an option to me, but I guess cards don't work the same as magic swords..

Can I confirm if it's in game time or if it works off the clock?