Serenes Forest's Teehee Thread

MisterIceTeaPeach

26 minutes ago, Sooks said:

I finished Twilight of Edo Japan. I didn’t enjoy it as much as the other two. 

Hide contents

That was because it was a lot of blind wandering around a massive dungeon while the plot didn’t progress for 80% of it until the end when the prisoner we’re trying to rescue comes in and saves us out of nowhere. This little mechanical copy of Oboromaru came and joined out of nowhere but died immediately because of a mouse, and he has super obscure join conditions that I just happened to randomly trigger while playing. And then immediately fell into a hole, which also killed him, but you know, that one makes sense.

Apparently you can take him to an optional boss that I didn’t fight, so that’s kinda interesting I guess?

But after that, none of our questions are really answered. I mean, Ode Iou just transforms halfway into a venomous frog, and we just accept it. We also never learn anything about the problems Japan’s supposed to be facing that were set up, nor how Oboromaru’s actions were at all related to that. We also don’t learn a whole lot about the prisoner, but we do learn that he’s called Sakamoto Ryoma and that’s it, but apparently he was a real dude, and I’d never heard of him but maybe he’s more recognizable to the 1994 Japanese audience this game was made for, because the game treats it like that’s supposed to mean something. Or maybe I’ve been living under a rock, which is a definite possibility. Idk. Apparently that’s also the name of someone in Yakuza, so clearly Benice should be playing this.

At the end I chose to join the prisoner, just because he was nicer to us than the dudes at the beginning who we presumably would’ve gone back to. And he gave that whole speech about valuing mercy, so he seems like a better dude to follow.

On the subject of that, he gives Oboromaru a sword despite the fact that the chapter literally ends there. It’s almost like he’ll be playable again somehow, somewhere…

I do think the dungeon would’ve been a bit more enjoyable to explore if I wasn’t trying to be pacifist, because there are a few segments that force you into fights you can’t flee from so you have to just reload to avoid those, and if you don’t happen to know that you can kill the spirits and golem puppet things you have to go back and grind for the mandatory bosses or just… die, presumably (unless I’m just bad at the game). It would’ve been impossible to get 0 kills if I’d freed the prisoner earlier in a different way, which I’m glad I read about ahead of time. That would’ve been annoying. There is an objective marker but it leads you to a fake-out scene that forces you into an encounter you can’t run from that adds to your kill count. And presumably the only way to get it to lead you to the right spot is to do the encounter, which means you just don’t get an objective marker if you’re doing 0 kills. Although tbh, I’ve never been a big dungeon crawler guy anyway, and that was the entire chapter.

Fair enough. This is my second least favorite of the tales. You're kinda flip flopping all over the place, in relation to my ranking haha

26 minutes ago, Sooks said:

But anyway, onto the Wild West after a break. This chapter took me a lot longer than the other two because of the blind trial and error.

Case in point: Third favorite scenario of mine. See how you like it!

• Replies 176k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Shrimpica

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

4 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Someone just told me they'd let Elaine step on them.

I think that's the first time I've ever received such kind of praise for an OC.

...Still flattered.

Validation for your tastes?

Just now, Sooks said:

Y’know, this advice would’ve been useful in the last two scenarios I played too—

Oh yeah, don't use the traps if you found any... trust me...

7 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

I didn't say anything! I just showed them the portrait and they said it!

7 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

I concur @Sooks. Just don't lose the memory you posted above.

4 hours ago, Acacia Sgt said:

I was also thinking something like that. Not on being false accused and thus their own country turn against them, but more on Elusia being taken over (whether conventionally or with mass brainwashing) and they have to join the heroes to free their people.

That's also likely. The clip with Ivy does show that she enters Zephia's range so one way or another, the Four Hounds take over Elusia.

4 hours ago, Edelguardiansing said:

This girl needs to learn some self respect.

Lethe is amazing btw, she was my MVP in my PoR run.

4 hours ago, Edelguardiansing said:

Reclaim the slur, Ike.

4 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

If only that shot of the guy lying on the floor meant he's about to be scared into joining the team.

Inb4 Creature Campaign.

1 minute ago, Saint Rubenio said:

I didn't say anything! I just showed them the portrait and they said it!

Wow, people can just tell at first glance. You're moving up in the world... or down to the floor I guess.

6 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Inb4 Eirika's ability is just way better

They have to give people a reason to choose her route if they decide to try Sacred Stones, after all

3 hours ago, Imperator Squilla said:

Anyway can the Mexicans kick the Argentinians out tomorrow please

Messi said the Argentinians are ready for a "final" tomorrow, it's over for Mexico

2 hours ago, Imperator Squilla said:

Better than Argentina getting kicked out would be Brasil tbh, but that ain't gonna happen in that group lol

Neymar is injured and probably out of the cup, the team should be eliminated in the quarterfinals as usual when they inevitably face Spain

I didn’t realize you had to talk to the sheriff to unlock the ability to start preparing traps, so I started preparing them later than I would’ve liked.

Oh well, let’s see how this goes.

29 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

21 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

I concur @Sooks. Just don't lose the memory you posted above.

I used every trap I found…

Except Anne’s diary. No idea what to do with that but get slapped by her.

1 minute ago, Sooks said:

I used every trap I found…

Except Anne’s diary. No idea what to do with that but get slapped by her.

Hmm, bummer. Well, you can always reload and try it out without them next time... just saying...

Well, that went interestingly.

Uh… take two.

11 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Hmm, bummer. Well, you can always reload and try it out without them next time... just saying...

Sure.

35 minutes ago, Green06 said:

Neymar is injured and probably out of the cup, the team should be eliminated in the quarterfinals as usual when they inevitably face Spain

As if i want Spain of all teams to go that far

Although they probably will. 95% beating us and leading the group anyway.

Inb4 Japan with the miracle 9 Points

2TduCLW.jpg

Edited by Imperator Squilla

3 hours ago, ping said:

Less "historical" and more "history-inspired", but the Civ series also allows for a pacifist playstyle, although I think Civ5 is the only one in which "found 4-5 cities, science go brrrr" is actually competitive, if not more powerful, than at the very least eating one or two competitors before going for science or culture victories.

True. I'm definitely more of the "builder" type than the conqueror.

Although a lot of that has to do with Civs 5, 6, and Beyond Earth having disgustingly strong cities. It's one thing for the AI on the higher difficulties to have enormous armies, its another for city strikes to deal so much damage accompanied by a garrisoned unit for a stupid second hit, and for it to be foolish to attack a city at melee unless it's really weak. For Civ6, I took the easy way out and waited for bombers, which devastate cities there. For Beyond Earth, aquatic cities can fall quickly with enough battleships b/c lower defense, and taking cities later in the game isn't too bad. Civ5 though... ugh. I think I need to wait for nuclear weapons, not even bombers are good enough. And if I wait for nukes, why not just rush Globalization instead and end things with an easy Diplomatic Victory? It's less science and ought to be far fewer turns.

Not helping is me not being at all good for the crucial unit timings that 5 and 6 call for for overwhelming domination. I took one capital on a pangaea map in Civ 5 with the Mongols' Keshiks, one. I'm told they're supposed to be good enough to sweep the entire world, but they were struggling to take a second cap (mostly b/c it was on the coast and I had no navy to keep the enemy from reclaiming it immediately) and Camel Archers... I'm doubtful of what they can do. Unique units are garbo if I can't actually do anything with them. The nice thing about Beyond Earth for me is that it doesn't have this worry of eventual obsolescence, which basically everything useful in Civ5 except the units of the final era have.

I finished the Wild West. It’s pretty hard to tell how I feel about it without really knowing how much of an impact all the traps and items made, since that was basically the whole point.

21 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Yep. You won't be able to win against a gatling gun.

Well, I did, so…

1 minute ago, Sooks said:

I finished the Wild West. It’s pretty hard to tell how I feel about it without really knowing how much of an impact all the traps and items made, since that was basically the whole point.

They decrease the number of goons you fight. So you can end up with anywhere between a 2-on-1 against O. Dio... or fight the entire 15-man gang.

Since I'm currently out of RPGs to play, there is only one recourse left...

xZCPnrp.jpg

...No just kidding, this is actually the demo. I don't trust it not to spoil me so I won't try it until after I start Trails to Azure when I reach the final dungeon, probably. The demo still has the backstory section available to view, however.

But wait, there is another recourse left...

Sae25O4.jpg

Also, I recall that I started the Live A Live demo a few months ago, but didn't make much progress because Xenoblade 3 released shortly after. I started the Far Future section, played a minigame and failed horribly, which I suppose might be the SNES RPG experience.

6 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

They decrease the number of goons you fight. So you can end up with anywhere between a 2-on-1 against O. Dio... or fight the entire 15-man gang.

I ended up fighting O. Dio and three goons, so I guess I did pretty good.

My biggest mistake was not giving Billy the slingshot because the description literally said he was a crap shot with it, so I thought I was supposed to give it to someone else. That and starting to set up traps late because I didn’t know how.

Apparently duplicates of the same trap have no extra effect which is… a little dumb. Can’t we just use multiple bottles of fire?

So wait, you wanted me to fight all 15–

4 minutes ago, Lightchao42 said:

Since I'm currently out of RPGs to play, there is only one recourse left...

xZCPnrp.jpg

...No just kidding, this is actually the demo. I don't trust it not to spoil me so I won't try it until after I start Trails to Azure when I reach the final dungeon, probably.

Huh, I forgot there was a demo. Guess it’s just the beginning of the game.

That’s probably a good call.

The demo still has the backstory section available to view, however.

iirc that only contains info from CS1 and CS2.

But wait, there is another recourse left...

Sae25O4.jpg

You’re not a real Trails fan if you replay any game that doesn’t have Rixia Mao in it.

3 minutes ago, Sooks said:

So wait, you wanted me to fight all 15–

Like I said, it's more fun that way.

3 minutes ago, Sooks said:

You’re not a real Trails fan if you replay any game that doesn’t have Rixia Mao in it.

I swear I will continue my own playthrough before 2029...

6 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Like I said, it's more fun that way.

That seems a liiittle bit impossible. Then again, idk how good the dynamite and fire bottle items are.