Serenes Forest's Teehee Thread

MisterIceTeaPeach

On 11/25/2022 at 7:25 AM, Armagon said:

I played Binding Blade like three times in raw Japanese because I didn't know how to patch lmao.

I'm surprised you could stomach it enough for three playthroughs. I could barely tolerate playing it ONCE.

• Replies 176k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Shrimpica

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

More XC2 modding stuff! Started editing the captions to match effect changes properly (I.E Stratospheric Thunder now does Launch/Pierce, so the text reflects that) since it annoyed me with it the improper way. XD

18 hours ago, Edelguardiansing said:

z6K3tuF.png

I don't think I've ever used Pure Water in a Fire Emblem game.

Personally, I've grown to appreciate it. It helps make the likes of Bolting not as big of a pain in the arse to deal with.

Idk how to get S++ rank in Gunvolt 3 Merciless. I've gotten S++ ranks in both Standard and Demanding (except for final boss level) but Merciless is a different beast.

At least this is the best difficulty to use Kirin XX.

In other news, i've tried the Harvestella demo. To sum it up, while Rune Factory is a farming RPG, Harvestella is an RPG with farming, if that makes sense. From what i can tell, farming is more of a means to an end rather than something you do. Though it's not like it's exactly an afterthought, because from what i've seen, you will not succeed if you ignore the farm. This is fine though, because it means Harvestella and Rune Factory occupy different niches, as opposed to the billions of Story of Seasons clones that more or less do the same things.

Reactions online seem fairly positive (some people calling the story "Nier-lite" ???) and i will get it. Though i still haven't finished Rune Factory 5 and given how i've only done the two dungeons, i might just restart on PC for the better performance.

12 hours ago, Sooks said:

Huh, I forgot there was a demo. Guess it’s just the beginning of the game.

The Switch version has a demo, at least. My standards for a playable port are pretty low but I'd like to try it before I actually get the game though it can't be technically worse than Scarlet and Violet, right?

iirc that only contains info from CS1 and CS2.

The Ouroboros section shows every Anguis revealed up to this point... I think, since I only noticed Second and Third before thinking "hmm I probably shouldn't see this yet".

You’re not a real Trails fan if you replay any game that doesn’t have Rixia Mao in it.

Mrs. Mao who runs the hot spring inn may or may not be Rixia's grandma, so I think I'm good.

12 hours ago, Acacia Sgt said:

I swear I will continue my own playthrough before 2029...

You might continue it just in time for the last arc to begin, in that case.

3 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Present be like

Grown up Joshua sure acts differently from how I expected.

29 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Competitive Pokemon continues to be the most unfun thing ever.

Maybe but Shedinja finally got sent to Ubers, all is right in the world.

4 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Of course it is, what better for a nightly playing session than a nice, wholesome, relaxing game?

...you left off right after Ye Olde Sprout, didn't you?

Now I'm at the second trip to Basil's house. You know, after that first sequence with Sunny. 

1 hour ago, Saint Rubenio said:

In the meantime, it appears there's two versions of VP1, the original on PS1 and a remake called VP: Lenneth on PSP. Any ideas on which one I should go with? @Acacia Sgt @Interdimensional Observer From what I can tell online, people tend to recommend the PS1 version because of its... superior QoL? Excuse me? The remake has worse QoL...?

Basically, what happened was that when VP1 got localized, they added some QoL updates the Japanese version didn't had. When the PSP port was made, the Japanese version didn't added those... and the English PSP port didn't either, since it based itself on the Japanese PSP one. So yes, the English PSX version has stuff not even the PSP version of any region does. And then the mobile port is based on the PSP version, so it doesn't have them either.

Also, it's a shame you didn't grew up in the US or adjacent, because English VP1 has an... amusing case of recognizable VA's.

1 hour ago, Lightchao42 said:

You might continue it just in time for the last arc to begin, in that case.

Still, it's funny how I had a save file from all the back to 2015, when I bought the game, before I decided to play again... then I stopped. Again. XD

Edited by Acacia Sgt

1 hour ago, Armagon said:

In other news, i've tried the Harvestella demo. To sum it up, while Rune Factory is a farming RPG, Harvestella is an RPG with farming, if that makes sense.

Harvestella doesn't have romance like RF does, does it?

8 minutes ago, Shadow Mir said:

Harvestella doesn't have romance like RF does, does it?

Well yes but actually no but actually sorta?

You can't marry anyone until after you beat the game (RF5 is also like this) but there are still character stories you go through to reach that. You can marry but you don't have kids, so it's more of the traditional RPG romancing stuff. Except unlike your Personas, you can be gay.

Game is actually incredibly LGBT friendly, your character's appearance is not tied at all to their gender (even if customization is lacking). You can use male pronouns in a female body or vice versa or straight-up tell the game to refer to you by they/them. This doesn't affect me because I'm straight as hell but it's great that it's there for the people who want it.

7 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Now I'm at the second trip to Basil's house. You know, after that first sequence with Sunny. 

Wholesome times aplenty.

Spoiler

So did you open the door?

Basically, what happened was that when VP1 got localized, they added some QoL updates the Japanese version didn't had. When the PSP port was made, the Japanese version didn't added those... and the English PSP port didn't either, since it based itself on the Japanese PSP one. So yes, the English PSX version has stuff not even the PSP version of any region does. And then the mobile port is based on the PSP version, so it doesn't have them either.

Well, looks like the choice is clear, then.

Like I did with Covenant, I read a little bit of a LP. Not nearly as much, though. Just enough to tell that this game has a similar combat system to CotP, just without the SRPG part, and then I went "yeah good enough for a shot."

Also, it's a shame you didn't grew up in the US or adjacent, because English VP1 has an... amusing case of recognizable VA's.

Like I know more than like, four Spanish celebrities lol

1 minute ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Wholesome times aplenty.

Hide contents

So did you open the door?

Which one? Still haven't gone over there yet. I just reached the Playground after returning.

1 minute ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Like I know more than like, four Spanish celebrities lol

Well, I suppose I can tell already there.

English Valkyrie Profile was voiced by the same people who worked at 4Kids Entertainment, who were quite infamous for their dub of the early seasons of the Pokémon anime.

So basically, if you grew up with US English Pokémon, or were familiar with it, you were in for a treat, hahaha.

3 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Which one? Still haven't gone over there yet. I just reached the Playground after returning.

Right, never mind then.

3 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Well, I suppose I can tell already there.

English Valkyrie Profile was voiced by the same people who worked at 4Kids Entertainment, who were quite infamous for their dub of the early seasons of the Pokémon anime.

So basically, if you grew up with US English Pokémon, or were familiar with it, you were in for a treat, hahaha.

Oh, well that's neat. I might recognize Jesse and James from clips I've seen online, at least.

2 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

I doubt I'll make it that far myself, as this is already getting a bit repetitive and I'm starting to want to move on to Valkyrie Profile 1, but still. This mode is awesome. I'll see if I can complete one lap, at least.

I was expecting as much. Still, it is postgame, that's the nice thing about it, it's optional. And it'll still be there if you're ever in the mood for a quick crush or two for old time's sake.

the truthful profiles and revelations that are just the devs directly mocking the characters, the player and themselves...

So you've read the Truthade stuff?

It's not all mockery and women's measurements. Heugoe's profile reveals one touching detail that isn't mentioned during the story, I think. And there is this.:

"Martial artist ever testing the limits of mortal strength. His daily regimen consists of beating a tree-stump into pulp each morning, crushing a stone into dust after lunch, and breaking a boulder into pebbles following supper. Thanks to Auguste, the lands of House Haughn are now clear and obstacle-free. All hail the former lord!"

And...

"Mature mother who concedes nothing to her daughter when it comes to curves. Nevertheless, Reinhilde keeps herself well covered-up so as not to garner any more of Phiona's resentment.

She married Auguste not out of arrangement, but out of love, a reason unheard of among their class at the time. Their open displays of affection make even their own children queasy, but if ever a lovers' quarrel should break out between them, it will likely sunder a kingdom in two."

In the meantime, it appears there's two versions of VP1, the original on PS1 and a remake called VP: Lenneth on PSP. Any ideas on which one I should go with? @Acacia Sgt @Interdimensional Observer From what I can tell online, people tend to recommend the PS1 version because of its... superior QoL? Excuse me? The remake has worse QoL...?

Unfortunately I haven't ever played VP1 myself.😅 No way to do it legitimately that I'd be interested in over the years, and IIRC Square has announced a port for the game recently, so I'm waiting for that. I can't help you.

2 hours ago, Armagon said:

In other news, i've tried the Harvestella demo. To sum it up, while Rune Factory is a farming RPG, Harvestella is an RPG with farming, if that makes sense. From what i can tell, farming is more of a means to an end rather than something you do. Though it's not like it's exactly an afterthought, because from what i've seen, you will not succeed if you ignore the farm. This is fine though, because it means Harvestella and Rune Factory occupy different niches, as opposed to the billions of Story of Seasons clones that more or less do the same things.

Reactions online seem fairly positive (some people calling the story "Nier-lite" ???) and i will get it. Though i still haven't finished Rune Factory 5 and given how i've only done the two dungeons, i might just restart on PC for the better performance.

I've seen reviews usually around 7/10. I've heard the primary criticism is that the various aspects, combat and farming alike, need more fleshing out. The game is pretty, but a little overpriced at $60 are two other remarks I saw. Seems like an alright start that could develop into a promising franchise.

As I don't have RF5 yet, I'll that for Xmas instead despite the criticisms and play that and wait for Harvestella go on sale later.

55 minutes ago, Armagon said:

You can't marry anyone until after you beat the game (RF5 is also like this) but there are still character stories you go through to reach that. You can marry but you don't have kids, so it's more of the traditional RPG romancing stuff. Except unlike your Personas, you can be gay.

Did you have to jab Persona again?😕 Tatsuyaaaa.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

I'd say, you always count for Paradox AI to derail things, hahahaha.

So like I said, I decided to play that Victoria 2 Cold War mod. The US got in a war with Communist China as early as 1947, with the Soviet Union jumping in too. Battles happened mostly in Korea and Germany. The US won, and Communist China pretty much collapsed, allowing the ROC to win too. And likely because of this, there's now a unified ROK too instead of being split up.

The US had a couple countries helping them, but I don't think they did much, outside perhaps the UK due to their occupation zone of Germany being there. I also got roped in, having sided with the Democratic Bloc. I did nothing as I couldn't really do much, pft. But what did happen was an event triggering of one of my provinces suffering a bombing campaign and I'm like... "How does that even work!?"

Now, if only I can find a way to avoid having my daily gains in the red... the mod gives a big boost of cash at the start, but I fear it will run out quite soon...

Edited by Acacia Sgt

1 minute ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

I was expecting as much. Still, it is postgame, that's the nice thing about it, it's optional. And it'll still be there if you're ever in the mood for a quick crush or two for old time's sake.

More than that, the problem is that I misunderstood how the Gate works. With the freedom to use everyone, I just sort of rotated them in and out... And now I'm up to the Valkyrie and I'm getting my ass handed to me because even my highest-leveled units (Auguste, Reinhilde, Roienbourg and Fauxnel - go figure) are underlevelled lol. I don't really feel like restarting now.

Still, no dent on my perception of the game. It still is the game with Fauxnel in it.

...I'm going to miss Fauxnel.

But then, I said the same thing after C route with Heugoe, Reinhilde and Auguste. I'm I will find a new group of cool folks in VP1 whose praises to sing.

So you've read the Truthade stuff?

Yep.

It's not all mockery and women's measurements. Heugoe's profile reveals one touching detail that isn't mentioned during the story, I think.

It does, though it was one I'd surmised based on his dialogue in the main game.

Spoiler

He gives Ancel a proper burial after Wyl runs off. Heugoe really is the nicest guy.

Heugoe's truthade description is pretty sweet in general, actually. It doesn't insult him as much as other truthade bios, and it also claims he makes enemies weak in the knees with his "gruff and husky voice", which was funny to read given all my high talk about his lines.

And there is this.:

"Martial artist ever testing the limits of mortal strength. His daily regimen consists of beating a tree-stump into pulp each morning, crushing a stone into dust after lunch, and breaking a boulder into pebbles following supper. Thanks to Auguste, the lands of House Haughn are now clear and obstacle-free. All hail the former lord!"

And while on Auguste...

"Mature mother who concedes nothing to her daughter when it comes to curves. Nevertheless, Reinhilde keeps herself well covered-up so as not to garner any more of Phiona's resentment.

She married Auguste not out of arrangement, but out of love, a reason unheard of among their class at the time. Their open displays of affection make even their own children queasy, but if ever a lovers' quarrel should break out between them, it will likely sunder a kingdom in two."

Wonder Grandpas, wonderous as ever. Godspeed.

Spoiler

Another I liked was Gwendal's, because it sheds a slight bit of light on who the "them" he mentions in his death scene are. And by "a bit", I mean "none at all", because it effectively confirms absolutely nothing lol. I just enjoyed seeing that moment referenced again.

...Also, unrelated to the Truthade, but Fauxnel coming out of nowhere to flirt with Freya before proceeding to tell her she's too old for him was just... classic Fauxnel. Classic fucking Fauxnel. Of course he thinks he's too good for a literal goddess.

I'm seriously going to miss this asshole...

Generally, I like how all the nonsense in the Seraphic Gate is... actually not necessarily incompatible with the canon. A lot of it is just embarrassing details of the characters' past that doesn't contradict anything about them and their roles in the main game. It's an interesting approach to such a thing as this.

Unfortunately I haven't ever played VP1 myself.😅 No way to do it legitimately that I'd be interested in over the years, and IIRC Square has announced a port for the game recently, so I'm waiting for that. I can't help you.

Oh dear... Yeah, apparently it comes out next month, doesn't it? Guess I'll go ahead, then!

3 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

If you're going to play VP1, I recommend you get a guide, because getting the True Ending is hard going blind.

2 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Wait, VP Lenneth is getting a port? I only knew of the PS4 and PS5 one sold with VP Elysium. Or were you talking about that one?

Oh, only PS and only with Valkyrie Elysium why use a Greek paradise for in the name of a game about Norse mythos?? I wasn't aware of the fine print.😅

I don't have a PS4 or 5, and as VE has been getting 7/10 reviews, it wouldn't be worth it without a good sale. Hopefully Square will port to PC and other consoles later.

7 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Generally, I like how all the nonsense in the Seraphic Gate is... actually not necessarily incompatible with the canon. A lot of it is just embarrassing details of the characters' past that doesn't contradict anything about them and their roles in the main game. It's an interesting approach to such a thing as this.

True. The compartmentalization of Covenant of the Plume yet again keeps the main story free of these silly details. Good for the seriousness of the story, and keeping it from being overlong, though I can see some players wishing a few of these factoids showed up during the plot. It's one thing to read about this stuff in a bio page, it's another to see it in action.

20 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

I'm seriously going to miss this asshole...

The thing is, I barely remembered anything about the guy after all these years. I kept using Lockswell as my lone sorcerer on my A path run, so he next to no action I think. I hadn't the faintest idea that he would blossom into your most beloved stinking rose.🧄😆 

20 hours ago, ping said:

You could point at CK2/3 (focus on playing your character) and Vicky2/3 (economy go brrrrr) as games where war is an important aspect, but not something you have to go for. It seems to be especially true for Vicky3 (haven't gotten it yet, so this is just from watching an LP) where it seems to be very viable to stay inside your borders and just build up your industry and try to modernise your laws and government.

Vicky definitely seems like the ideal choice for me in that regard, even if I can't pick a Native American nation like I can in EU4.

17 hours ago, Armagon said:

I love this video for two reasons. One because it's funny, and two because it's seriously well done and true to it's message.

8 hours ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

Just wait til you get to Thracia, where Mag is playing double duty as Res as well, so it simply raises Mag...which is just as good as it sounds for your mages, and even better for the staff bots (as in Thracia staves are king).

Hopefully I'll remember that by then.

8 hours ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

I know you probably mean videogames, but I find this comment amusing after having a blast today playing a boardgame called Versailles 1919, all about us trying to craft that awful peace treaty made to end WW1. Tense, and kinda war related, but at its core about a part of war we don't usually play through, peace, and why it fails.

Heh. That reminds me, my brother is a huge fan of board games and also a huge fan of history.

It's nearing his birthday soon, maybe I'll get him that game.

3 hours ago, Shadow Mir said:

Personally, I've grown to appreciate it. It helps make the likes of Bolting not as big of a pain in the arse to deal with.

If there's one thing that makes me bad at Fire Emblem (Well there are several things but that's besides the point) It's that I don't use all the tools the game gives me.

5 minutes ago, Edelguardiansing said:

Vicky definitely seems like the ideal choice for me in that regard, even if I can't pick a Native American nation like I can in EU4.

Vic3 has some, if I recall.

2 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Vic3 has some, if I recall.

looking at the map, it seems they've been put under the title of a "decentralized nation" which I don't know if that makes them playable or not but the whiteness of their borders certainly makes it feel like so.

Now I'm just thinking if I should start VP1 now or wait till next week, when my two free weeks start, so I have all the time in the world for it.

Maybe I'll replay something quick for this week. Or start drawing at home.

Incidentally, this talk about Victoria reminds me of how Victoria 2 is the game that years ago made me feel extremely stupid. It had never happened before or since - I legit could not figure out how to play. Not even in a "wow I'm really bad at this game, I can't play this" way. I could not figure out how to interact with the videogame. I just started it up, found myself confronted by a billion menus each filled to the brim with data, clicked a few sliders that did things (I think?) and ended up dropping it after a couple hours of staring at numbers in complete and utter confusion.

Don't get me wrong, I do not mean this as a diss against the game. I probably was just too impatient and dumb. Maybe I should try tackling it again. It's been years, I've dropped out of college since. Beaten FE12 and Conquest lunatic. Maybe now I've come far enough that I can find the way to make the game do things.

54 minutes ago, Green06 said:

If you're going to play VP1, I recommend you get a guide, because getting the True Ending is hard going blind.

Listen to me, 06. I will get the Ruben ending, and that ending will be wherever the game leads me through my peerless decision-making. Then we'll see if I've enjoyed the game enough to research how to get more endings.

43 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

I don't have a PS4 or 5, and as VE has been getting 7/10 reviews, it wouldn't be worth it without a good sale. Hopefully Square will port to PC and other consoles later.

Elysium is already on PC (with a solid mixed rating with 271 total reviews), but I've no idea how they'll handle Lenneth. The Steam page doesn't seem to mention it anywhere.

Frankly, if you wanna go that route, I would recommend getting the OG PSP Lenneth on the Sony PC lolololololol

True. The compartmentalization of Covenant of the Plume yet again keeps the main story free of these silly details. Good for the seriousness of the story, and keeping it from being overlong, though I can see some players wishing a few of these factoids showed up during the plot. It's one thing to read about this stuff in a bio page, it's another to see it in action.

Yeah, I agree. Another series would've had stuff like the "Vally and Phi-Phi" moment smack dab in the middle of route C for "comic relief", and it would've gotten the immersion and a big facepalm out of me. I must admire their restraint. The few bits of humor in this game were so subdued and dry that they fit the tone like a glove regardless.

The thing is, I barely remembered anything about the guy after all these years. I kept using Lockswell as my lone sorcerer on my A path run, so he next to no action I think. I hadn't the faintest idea that he would blossom into your most beloved stinking rose.🧄😆 

I can't blame you. Sorcerers are functionally identical to one another, and Lockswell has a ton of time to be trained and tailored to one's liking.

Besides, Fauxnel's a very particular type of unpleasant that I find greatly enjoyable. Being playable in spite of being the biggest bastard in the entire game, devils and all, added so much to his magnificence, too. But I could understand others not agreeing.

29 minutes ago, Edelguardiansing said:

Hopefully I'll remember that by then.

Not to worry, Thracia will teach you to love staves.

And guides.

29 minutes ago, Edelguardiansing said:

If there's one thing that makes me bad at Fire Emblem (Well there are several things but that's besides the point) It's that I don't use all the tools the game gives me.

That's understandable. The hoarding mindset is difficult to escape. "What if I need it later!?" and then later never really comes.

Edited by Saint Rubenio