Serenes Forest's Teehee Thread

MisterIceTeaPeach

Just now, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

If only they didn't suffer from "i have been defeated but can't fall here" a bit much

Eh, it's not that big of a deal.

Then again, I'm an avid SRW player, and since they're story-driven, then Huberts are dime a dozens.

• Replies 176k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Shrimpica

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

You know, standing here I realize, musing over things, Alear and Ivy actually are quite similar in quite a few ways.

(Spoilers for... well, the entire game. Or perhaps only up to Chapter 24? Either way...)

Spoiler

Both grow up in environments that they would come to hate. Alear as the child of the Fell Dragon who would have a habit of killing off his own children (or sic the Corrupted on them) if they were to be "defects". Ivy growing up in, in her own words, a "den of treachery and double-dealing" which would include her own mother. As a result, both became emotionally withdrawn and coped as best they could. Ivy at least had her sister and father... before the latter fell into the influence to revive Sombron at least, but also finding an outlet in starting to worship the Divine Dragon to be contrarian to the Elusian culture she had come to spite. Alear, however, became manic to the idea that, if they can prove they aren't a defect, then their own father won't kill them, thus leading them to try to take the Emblems to appeace him.

Circumstances would both force them to come into conflict with a Divine Dragon (Lumera for Alear, and Alear themselves for Ivy)... but then, both are soon put into a position where they get to witness the Divine Dragon's kindness/mercy. Ironically, after suffering defeat in battle by the exact same individual (Alear themselves, as thanks to timey-wimey shenanigans they managed to do it to themselves). Lumera who goes to dispel Alear's notion that they are a defect by treating them so unlike how Sombron had done to them and his other children. Alear who grants mercy to Ivy allowing her to depart instead of killing her, after she had expected to die and knowing even her own father had left her to die. Thus, touched by the Divine Dragon's actions, it leads them to defect. With Alear joining Lumera right away, and Ivy first before attempting to recover the stolen Emblem rings first before joining Alear.

There's also other similarities, some more incidental than others. Like how both have a younger half-sister they are fond of. Well, I'll admit I don't yet-know/remember to what extent Past Alear and Veyle were, but if the former gave the latter their dragonstone with the notion they could meet again, then it means it was a decent enough relationship, no? Certainly it could be compared to how Ivy and Hortensia are, just without the baggage of separation... well, Ivy and Hortensia did got split apart too! It just didn't last a thousand years, heh. Heck, both Veyle and Hortensia get subjected to brainwashing by the bad guys too! And then there's also their fathers. One is the Fell Dragon, the other a King and Fell Dragon Worshipper. Both get struck down and are revived. That's also something that's similar enough between them.

There's probably other stuff I'm forgetting at the moment. Whether they're relevant enough to count or not.

So, tl,dr Alear and Ivy are pretty much birds of a feather. And this is why I believe in AlearxIvy supremacy and you're all wrong if you believe otherwise.

This was another PSA that can make you go:

Sensible Chuckle | Know Your Meme

Edited by Acacia Sgt

38 minutes ago, Lightcosmo said:

Awakening version has 12 Mt the ability to heal and kills Fell Dragon's. Lacking any of that here. XD

same, BB should be effective against all kinds dragon.  but hey at least it looks like Parallel falchion. binding blade just different in the hilt design. if not, then the hollow part of P.Falchion would be triangle , not round XD

36 minutes ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

If only they didn't suffer from "i have been defeated but can't fall here" a bit much

the other option than that would be what then? "i have been defeated so i will not appear ever again" ? its way worse if they didnt appear again and not have any chance to be developed further than X boss in X chapter vs.  losing and retreating

its not ideal ofc..  but like i said somewhere else: if they are not defeated, then villain would perma-kill someone as per FE rules. unlike standard JRPG where whole party can get their ass handed to them but still fully survive.

1 hour ago, joevar said:

hot takes guys.. The villain in Engage is actually well-written, at least as far as FE villains go. another initial assumption i have before release thats completely way-off mark, which im glad

Yes, I feel the villains are definitely the best written characters in the game. The Hounds suffer from Hubert syndrome and the whole "Imma deliver my entire backstory five minutes before my final appearance" habit with every single villain feels quite clunky, but there are some good ideas there.

1 hour ago, joevar said:

also, can i take back what i said about late game joiner in this game being bad? they are actually good. hehehe...

Good Joevar. Finally seeing the truth.

The truth of Mom.

48 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Well moreso the Hounds than Sombron, they are a consistent threat instead of just fucking off in their castle until the plot calls on them to act like most villains in the series.

Uhhh I will disagree with you here, to an extent. They definitely benefit from having a good amount of screentime, but when you spend like, 15 chapters in a row beating the shit out of the hounds over and over, they lose their impact a tad. They are certainly consistent, but I don't really see the threat part at this point haha.

41 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Eh, it's not that big of a deal.

Then again, I'm an avid SRW player, and since they're story-driven, then Huberts are dime a dozens.

To be fair, isn't SRW a lot more lighthearted in general? Plus, people are inside massive steel mechas there. In Engage Griss gets skewered on his bare gut like 10 times and just orgasms and walks away lol

Ocarina of Keys (review)

A long time ago, i really liked this game. But revisiting it after so many years has revealed a rather unsatisfying truth to me: this game is.....not as good as i remember it being. I started going through all the Zelda games in preparation for Tears of the Kingdom and replaying Ocarina of Time was obviously going to come up at some point. As i kept playing through it though, i began to realize i wasn't enjoying it as much as i did years ago.

My main problem with this game begins after you obtain the Master Sword. Typically, in Zelda games where there's dungeons before and after getting the Master Sword, the dungeons before essentially serve as a basic tutorial and that is the case here. The dungeons after getting the Master Sword up the ante. This is the case for games like Wind Waker, A Link Between Worlds, etc. But not here. Because the dungeons in Ocarina of Time are quite frankly probably the most boring dungeons out of any (at least 3D) Zelda game that i've seen. The reason? Keys. There's so many fucking keys. Almost every dungeon in this game does not challenge you with puzzles to solve, instead, it wants you to find the hidden key so you can open the door to the next room.

Keys are a constant thing in Zelda, yes, but i've never seen a game this obsessed with it. There are times in this game where you would unlock a door, walk like two seconds and then, oh no, another locked door. Time to backtrack to find another fucking hidden key. The final dungeon literally has you enter a small, narrow path with a locked door and the Triforce insignia on the floor so you can play Zelda's Lullaby and make a chest with a key appear next to you. Why? What's the purpose? Why is this game so fucking obsessed with keys?

Outside of the dungeons, the game's just kind of barren. I've heard that the game originally was supposed to only be dungeons, all inside Ganon's Tower and i suppose it does explain why Hyrule Field is so damn lifeless and small. It was something that bothered me as a kid but that combined with the fact that the dungeons are also very boring, actively hurts the game for me.

At the end of the day, it is still a Zelda game and not a bad one. It's functional, it works....but damn, is it boring. I've heard Master Quest is better and that'll get it's own playthrough....another time.

6/10

I will now proceed to be executed for my opinion.

1 hour ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

I think that's just kinda unavoidable.

34 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

They are certainly consistent, but I don't really see the threat part at this point haha.

Because outside of like, Marni, beating them is not so simple. Most encounters with the Hounds, they have Dark Emblems so you have to take that into account when you fight them. Add in the revival stones and yeah.

Compare it to like, Bern's General trio for example. Murdock.....is an actual threat but Narcian and Brunya go down so easily.

7 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Because outside of like, Marni, beating them is not so simple. Most encounters with the Hounds, they have Dark Emblems so you have to take that into account when you fight them. Add in the revival stones and yeah.

I suppose my perception might be a bit warped by my insane Etie. Zephia and Griss both went down super easy in each of their appearances. Their prefered Emblems got them to overextend a lot of the time, Zephia crumbled in the presence of bows and Griss was just generally very squishy. Marni was ever-so-slightly worse, just because I had to rely entirely on magic to defeat her and her choice of Emblem made her really annoying to finish off.

Mauvier was the real deal each time. Choice of magical and physical damage to suit each situation, massive bulk, to say nothing of the shenanigans he gets up to in chapter 19... Dude was definitely the scariest of them. Which is funny, seeing how he's also the most ordinary-looking of them.

7 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Compare it to like, Bern's General trio for example. Murdock.....is an actual threat but Narcian and Brunya go down so easily.

It's funny you should mention Murdock, because

Spoiler

I think my favorite part of the paralogues, text-wise, was how everyone else recounted some manner of life-changing experience, pivotal point of their adventure or other such thing where they learned a valuable lesson that they now hope to teach to Alear through the trial.

...And then there's Roy, whose entire pre-trial monologue can be summed up as "Murdock PTSD." Not that I can blame him lol

58 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

To be fair, isn't SRW a lot more lighthearted in general? Plus, people are inside massive steel mechas there. In Engage Griss gets skewered on his bare gut like 10 times and just orgasms and walks away lol

More idealistic, but not exactly more lighthearted... maybe.

But yes, the mechas justify it more often since escape pods, yeah. Even the mooks have defeat lines about bailing out, yes. Still, since the stories they adapt involved enemies being fought several times, then the games will reflect that too by necessity. Which allows them story presence. And it applies to the player party too. SRW can't do permadeath, so the player parties can have lines unlike the majority of the FE casts.

13 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Marni was ever-so-slightly worse, just because I had to rely entirely on magic to defeat her and her choice of Emblem made her really annoying to finish off.

Marni when she sees Radiant Bow Fogado

14 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

It's funny you should mention Murdock, because

Reveal hidden contents

Serenes was being cringe and not allowing the post to go through with this part so here's part 2

Spoiler

Fr cause Murdock was the true final boss lmao.

Even in the manga, he nearly wrecks Roy's shit.

57 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

The truth of Mom.

uh what?? i hope thats not a spoiler word since i dont get it

57 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

In Engage Griss gets skewered on his bare gut like 10 times and just orgasms and walks away lol

i actually like Griss the most out of the four. you could say he's "insane" character done right in the child-friendly-nintendo-game way. that, and VA really nailed it. you can feel the elation (exhilaration? excitement? i dunno the most correct word here) when you defeat him lmao

i cant help but laugh in confusion when battling him

23 minutes ago, Armagon said:

the four hounds compliment each other is what makes them interesting and challenging to me. 

11 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:
  Hide contents

I think my favorite part of the paralogues, text-wise, was how everyone else recounted some manner of life-changing experience, pivotal point of their adventure or other such thing where they learned a valuable lesson that they now hope to teach to Alear through the trial.

...And then there's Roy, whose entire pre-trial monologue can be summed up as "Murdock PTSD." Not that I can blame him lol

which is kinda shame they kinda downplay the map in the paralogue.

i can still remember in FE6 i spend many turn enemy-phasing the reinforcement that seems like go on for 3+ turns especially on lower part of the map. either i didnt trigger it, or they just not  exist in paralogue

1 minute ago, joevar said:

i can still remember in FE6 i spend many turn enemy-phasing the reinforcement that seems like go on for 3+ turns especially on lower part of the map. either i didnt trigger it, or they just not  exist in paralogue

That's because FE6 had zone-based ambush spawns.

8 minutes ago, joevar said:

uh what?? i hope thats not a spoiler word since i dont get it

No, not at all. I thought you were talking about the time you said Saphir is bad. Saphir, Momphir, Mom? Haha.

i actually like Griss the most out of the four. you could say he's "insane" character done right in the child-friendly-nintendo-game way. that, and VA really nailed it. you can feel the elation (exhilaration? excitement? i dunno the most correct word here) when you defeat him lmao

i cant help but laugh in confusion when battling him

Oh don't get me wrong, I love him too. The guy is an absolute riot.

the four hounds compliment each other is what makes them interesting and challenging to me. 

Yes, this is true. They work very well together, and even if you fight them a million times, the different combinations of present hounds and dark Emblems keep them somewhat fresh.

1 hour ago, joevar said:

same, BB should be effective against all kinds dragon.  but hey at least it looks like Parallel falchion. binding blade just different in the hilt design. if not, then the hollow part of P.Falchion would be triangle , not round XD

Binding Blade was never effective vs wyvern classes, just Manakete+ Dark Dragon if i recall.

18 minutes ago, Lightcosmo said:

Binding Blade was never effective vs wyvern classes, just Manakete+ Dark Dragon if i recall.

That's indeed the case. Since it's actually not one of the Eight Legendary Weapons created to fight the dragons. The eighth one is actually the Eckesachs.

You know, something of a hot take I am developing, but...

I don't think I want to replay the game once I've beaten it. I'll stick with my initial playthrough file, play the rest of the DLC content as it comes, maybe eventually get Nintendo Online and do, well, online stuff. Do Tempest Trials or Skirmishes too if I want to keep playing the game.

But start another Playthrough anew? Yeah... no, not a chance.

Speaking of the final battle,

Spoiler

When you get Eirika to interact with dark emblem Fomortiis, Ephraim STILL doesn't say anything! Damn it all!

15 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

HAHAHAHA

10/10. I love this game. This is the best game.

I cannot wait to put together the celebratory video.

Absolute wild turn of events when you consider you went "Fire Emblem is dead" when the leaks came out last year.