• Replies 176k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Shrimpica

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

Let's see if i can finish the final map before i get on the bus to uni.

8 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Huh... I did forge, I had a good few forged and all the engravements assigned.

I know Shrimpy and Joevar did as well. 

So basically if you don't forge and engrave, this map kicks you in the balls. If you do, it's smoother. Cause like deadass Nova+1 becomes instantly more reliable.

So does this make the map good or not? Thinking about it, i think i'd place it over a few FE Endgames but i'm also not a fan of a lot of those, for one reason or another.

5 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Honestly, characters in general ks I believe the aspect of Engage people will look at more kindly as time goes on. I really don't see what's so wrong with this game's characters, and a lot of the "characters are one-dimensional" complaints feel more knee-jerk than other criticisms.

Fates' characters got looked at more kindly as time went. If Fates can do it, Engage can absolutely do it because unlike Fates, the characters aren't split between story and support.

5 hours ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

Like, everyone here knows how much i love 3H and it's characters

But do we really want every game to be just 3H's copy cat? Do we really have to introduce the whole cast at the beginning and ignoring what that means for the gameplay, or chore that was the monastery?

Introducing the whole cast at once in the beginning is cool but.....you have to balance that out. Which i don't think Three Houses does particularly well. Narratively, the story is still whoever the House Leader is and the classmates simply chip in additional dialogue if they're alive but the story doesn't need them to. Tobin and Gray are more narratively important in SoV than like....Caspar because they have natural dialogue.

Compare it to Baten Kaitos Origins and Xenoblade 3, games that also introduced the cast at or near the start of the game. That is the central narrative, you need them to be there. From a gameplay standpoint, the battles revolve around the game going "hey this is your party for the rest of the game". In Three Houses, you can recruit outside of your chosen House, so the entire cast being there at the start falls apart when Ashe shows up in cutscenes to say his one-liner because he still thinks he's on the team (you benched him in favor of Bernadetta).

I'm rambling.

18 minutes ago, Armagon said:

In Three Houses, you can recruit outside of your chosen House, so the entire cast being there at the start falls apart when Ashe shows up in cutscenes to say his one-liner because he still thinks he's on the team (you benched him in favor of Bernadetta).

And then you do the first post time skip map and all your recruitments mean nada

18 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Compare it to Baten Kaitos Origins and Xenoblade 3, games that also introduced the cast at or near the start of the game

Don't forget also cast size. FE has like 5 to 10x amount of characters "typical" jrpgs have. You can't introduce that at the start

Edited by Shrimpy -Limited Edition-

Alright took down the first barrier, the first revival stone and he's down half on his second.

Still not sure how y'all 1-turned Sombron but things are going a lot smoother. 

2 minutes ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

And then you do the first post time skip map and all your recruitments mean nada

*Unless it's Crimson Flower

3 minutes ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

Don't forget also cast size. FE has like 5 to 10x amount of characters "typical" jrpgs have. You can introduce that at the start

Mmm. Each House itself has like eight characters, which isn't much more than Xenoblade 3's six (eight if you count Riku and Manana). But they still don't matter in the grand scheme of things.  

6 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Still not sure how y'all 1-turned Sombron but things are going a lot smoother

Ermm

it wasn't a 1 turn, more like 6-7?

Spoiler

First Wave of Emblems took me like 3 turns, and so did the 2nd wave.

And i doubt i would've been able to take him out after 1 wave anyway. I had to use all i have to take him out after 2nd wave before he put on his shield again

8 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Each House itself has like eight characters

Yeah and that helps the character's themselves....

But 3H doesn't give you that much more characters after. That's, gameplay wise, might a problem. Especially if you wanna ironman.

Ermm

it wasn't a 1 turn, more like 6-7?

Didn't Ruben do it after the barrier went down the first time? Cause that's what i meant by 1-turn him.

Unless he merely meant taking down the first revival stone and all this time i was killing myself trying to the impossible.

4 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Didn't Ruben do it after the barrier went down the first time? Cause that's what i meant by 1-turn him.

Nope, both him and me did it the 2nd time

Unless he merely meant taking down the first revival stone

yeah this  xD

5 minutes ago, Armagon said:

all this time i was killing myself trying to the impossible.

LOL

most likely yeah

5 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

You know, the thing in Turkey was already bad... reading there was ANOTHER 7+ earthquake was not something I wanted to wake up to.

yeah reading the news....this pretty damn bad

It's so funny how Ephraim is irrelevant even in gameplay, there's no reason to use him over Eirika.

LOL

most likely yeah

It's so funny how Ephraim is irrelevant even in gameplay, there's no reason to use him over Eirika

vs. low def character (Mages) and when you need healing his +5 Damage and Sol is better than Eirika's Luna

5 minutes ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

vs. low def character (Mages) and when you need healing his +5 Damage and Sol is better than Eirika's Luna

It's funny because i'm running Eirika!Diamant right now. He's pretty beefy and he doesn't need Ephraim's Sol because he gets Sol by promoting to Successur anyways.

5 minutes ago, Armagon said:

It's funny because i'm running Eirika!Diamant right now. He's pretty beefy and he doesn't need Ephraim's Sol because he gets Sol by promoting to Successur anyways.

Ah, well, that explains it lol.

I run Eirika!Framme myself. Luna is freaking great on her because it makes her even kick Armor's ass. But against Mages i sometimes go Ephraim....or full Engage to get both Sol and Luna Hey isn't that Aether

Anyways i'll say that i'm not finishing this before i get on the bus lol.

But i will say: I admit when i'm wrong. The endgame wasn't at fault, i was. I was trying to do the impossible.

...it still is a difficulty spike tho. @Sooks Forge, Engrave and Inherit like your life depends on it when you get there.

57 minutes ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

On Vanilla/Switch not interested in DLC emblems tho. They all sound way too broken lol

Yeah, I think when I do get the DLC I'll probably just do the maps and then use the bracelets to get proficiencies.

19 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Unless he merely meant taking down the first revival stone and all this time i was killing myself trying to the impossible.

I did nothing to Sombron the first time the barrier went down, then crushed him the second time. Here, check it out.

Give me views, Armagon.

14 minutes ago, Armagon said:

It's so funny how Ephraim is irrelevant even in gameplay, there's no reason to use him over Eirika.

I mean, he appears in the Engage attack. It's something!

22 minutes ago, Armagon said:

So does this make the map good or not? Thinking about it, i think i'd place it over a few FE Endgames but i'm also not a fan of a lot of those, for one reason or another.

Fates' characters got looked at more kindly as time went. If Fates can do it, Engage can absolutely do it because unlike Fates, the characters aren't split between story and support.

Introducing the whole cast at once in the beginning is cool but.....you have to balance that out. Which i don't think Three Houses does particularly well. Narratively, the story is still whoever the House Leader is and the classmates simply chip in additional dialogue if they're alive but the story doesn't need them to. Tobin and Gray are more narratively important in SoV than like....Caspar because they have natural dialogue.

Compare it to Baten Kaitos Origins and Xenoblade 3, games that also introduced the cast at or near the start of the game. That is the central narrative, you need them to be there. From a gameplay standpoint, the battles revolve around the game going "hey this is your party for the rest of the game". In Three Houses, you can recruit outside of your chosen House, so the entire cast being there at the start falls apart when Ashe shows up in cutscenes to say his one-liner because he still thinks he's on the team (you benched him in favor of Bernadetta).

I'm rambling.

i like the idea of the final map, but i wont defend it strongly as much as i did the other chapters such as 11, 17, 19, 21, 25.

It succeed making the map "unique", but stumble a bit to make it become very great, mainly the minibosses. but i would still say its a fair difficulty like many other games where they dont punish you just because its final boss. And like someone said, the final phase remind me of FE6 somehow. now maybe they could built upon it, whenever they decide to remake it. 

the fact theres someone benched but then somehow still story related also happen in Engage in lesser extent: Vander. im sure no one see it coming that Vander halfway through (or maybe the last one-third ?) the game suddenly become story involved to the point its.. spoiler. The guy just transform into Merlinus unknowingly to player. Which leads to funny but also weird moment. because they are not what you want to appear.

Could they make variations of vander? then its hard to decide how many variation are there to make.  Could they do it more like xenobalde 3 (everyone involved)? i would say no, just from the sheer volume of playable cast. they do it with royals, but then people feel the sibling get shafted.

they make Xeno 3 bonding moment part of the integral story, but a lot of people seem started to feel tired because they keep taking break from story to spend talking to each other when player expect them to advance the story. its still way better tho, just not possible with FE huge cast. the cost would be astronomical

the middle ground would be a paralogue or side chapter that involves groups of unit.. but then again perma-death stand in the way of coherent story when one or two missing.

im also rambling

20 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

You know, the thing in Turkey was already bad... reading there was ANOTHER 7+ earthquake was not something I wanted to wake up to.

yeah its bad, even when i live in a country that has the most volcanoes in the entire world, and situated between continental plate (which means, earthquake always happening all year) its still disheartening hearing earthquake cause destruction like that.

6 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

I did nothing to Sombron the first time the barrier went down, then crushed him the second time. Here, check it out.

huh so im the only one here that really role play the game and just shatter the stone one at a time for each time he summon minibosses? oh well all is well in the end is whart matters

9 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Ok this was glorious

Thank you. Believe me, I had the biggest grin on my face while it was happening.

Spoiler

The fact that the music lined up perfectly with the Vandad twist though. That was so fucking perfect.

9 minutes ago, Armagon said:

but it's also a very specific setup lmao.

Not at all, actually. He's still in his base class. All I did was... well, use him, obviously, give him Wrath, which you can do with his base SP, and then employ

Spoiler

Engage+ at A support with Alear. Dragon's Fists use magic, so that was a great fit for him. Attuned made him even more godlike, and then his high offensive stats and broken critrates did the rest. S support is actually not necessary. All it does is give him (even) more crit for every unit that has waited, due to Bond of Eyros, but everything else he needed he would've gotten from just an A. Plus, on phase 2 I was so tunnel-visioned I forgot to move half my army before the fight anyway haha.

Other than that, it was nothing more than wise usage of Seadall and Byleth. Frankly, you could probably pull something very similar with Yunaka as is.

5 minutes ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

Physical Lindon

huh

Those fists only use magic

8 minutes ago, joevar said:

the fact theres someone benched but then somehow still story related also happen in Engage in lesser extent: Vander. im sure no one see it coming that Vander halfway through (or maybe the last one-third ?) the game suddenly become story involved to the point its.. spoiler. The guy just transform into Merlinus unknowingly to player. Which leads to funny but also weird moment. because they are not what you want to appear.

Meanwhile me: Who are all these people standing with Alfred? Where did Vandad?

Just now, Saint Rubenio said:

Frankly, you could probably pull something very similar with Yunaka as is.

Yunaka has Byleth tho woops.

Eh, I'm too far in to turn back now. But I know how I can optimize for the next run.

14 minutes ago, joevar said:

And like someone said, the final phase remind me of FE6

How?

Panette can reach 100 crit without that spoiler mechanic smh

20230203_115837.jpg?width=1128&height=621

Okay I mean I like Panette too, she's one of the Rampaging Redheads, but I will not accept the slightest hint of condescension at Best Boy

Just now, Armagon said:

I don't have enough SP for the Wrath tho 😔

But next time! 

O O F