Serenes Forest's Teehee Thread

MisterIceTeaPeach

9 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Did actual Aztec subjects sided with them? Like, the Tlaxcala weren't after all, and they did enjoyed a level of autonomy that lasted... well, the state of Tlaxcala exists for a reason.

If memory serves me, I believe Cortez brought only a few hundred men with him, the majority of the force that fought against Tenochtitlan were soldiers from Tlaxcala and other city states under Aztec rule

Remember, most of Mesoamerican history before Colombus revolves around city states so the cities underneath the Aztec empire saw it as a very temporary thing.

12 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Ultimately, though, it's still going to support it regardless of which side they're focusing on.

The Nahua simply arrived before the Spanish to the area, they aren't indigenous either.

So here's a question, would the blatant imperialism of the Aztec and Inca Empires justify avoiding a future where 80% of Native Americans were killed and only 2% of all our pre-colombian sources survived to the present day.

To put it simply, if the empires of North and South America had the military technology to resist European Invasion for good, even if that meant them committing their own set of atrocities, would that be better than the history we ended up with?

Basically would this meme be a better alternative

CDN media

• Replies 176.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Shrimpica

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

On 5/30/2023 at 4:16 PM, Interdimensional Observer said:

problem with Al Jazeera is that it might -despite its own claims to the contrary- be a mouthpiece of the Qatari government.

Yeah. Though, in some ways I don't mind that, since essentially any news source is the mouthpiece for one idealogy or faction or another. A Qatari perspective is different enough that I think it provides a pretty interesting angle on the world that the orgs here don't have.

Or maybe I'm particularly easily swayed by propaganda, I dunno.

Now to be fair, Tlaxcalans did enjoy a certain amount of autonomy and freedom after the conquests, even under Spanish rule they had right to bare arms, own land and not be thrown into slavery, thought even still it doesn't last in the long run

31 minutes ago, GuardianSing said:

So here's a question, would the blatant imperialism of the Aztec and Inca Empires justify avoiding a future where 80% of Native Americans were killed and only 2% of all our pre-colombian sources survived to the present day.

To put it simply, if the empires of North and South America had the military technology to resist European Invasion for good, even if that meant them committing their own set of atrocities, would that be better than the history we ended up with?

Basically would this meme be a better alternative

CDN media

If it's bad, it's bad. Double Standards should not be created out of it.

After all, will that game address the fact the Aztecs, like the Spanish, were foreigners that arrived to Mesoamerica and eventually engaged a campaign of conquest against the other peoples living there? Or will it stick to recent trends of just portraying them as victims and downplaying the above? That's what I mean about Double Standards.

Like, you're right that using the Aztec's own faults to justify the Spanish conquest is not okay. But what's also not okay is to sweep the fact those faults still happened. Or that even if not, the Aztecs were doing the very thing the Spanish would do to them. So to condemn one but not the other is... well, certainly a problem.

19 minutes ago, GuardianSing said:

Now to be fair, Tlaxcalans did enjoy a certain amount of autonomy and freedom after the conquests, even under Spanish rule they had right to bare arms, own land and not be thrown into slavery, thought even still it doesn't last in the long run

If I recall, the moment things did started to go downhill for the Tlaxcala was the Independence Period. There were officials from Puebla that wanted to annex the Tlaxcala territories into Puebla. The Napoleonic conquest of Spain was already causing crisis across the American territories, which forced the Tlaxcalan to appeal to the New Spanish Congress, reminding them of their role in the conquest of Mesoamerica. Fortunately, they won, and thus when Mexico was created, Tlaxcala became its own sovereign state (well, after spending a while as a territory) instead of being absorbed into Puebla.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

And by role it's certainly more than just aiding the Spanish with the Aztecs.

Many accompanied the Spanish in their further campaigns, stablishing settlements in northern Mexico and Central America, and even going off to fight as auxiliary forces as far as the Philippines. It's certainly a fascinating relationship that it's a shame it doesn't get focused more often than it does.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

12 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Like, you're right that using the Aztec's own faults to justify the Spanish conquest is not okay. But what's also not okay is to sweep the fact those faults still happened. Or that even if not, the Aztecs were doing the very thing the Spanish would do to them.

dd8.jpg.5be7345e3e290a9096d0fd1455fb55e7.jpg

1 minute ago, Benice said:

dd8.jpg.5be7345e3e290a9096d0fd1455fb55e7.jpg

In a way, it wasn't uncommon for Mesoamerica. The Spanish were just the final link of a chain. Well, I'd have to go look up if it truly measures up over the centuries, but at the very least, you have:

The Tepanec of Azcapotzalco conquer the Mexican Central Valley and start expanding across Mesoamerica.

The Mexica of Tenotchtitlan overthrow them after making alliances with other groups, and then proceed to start expanding across Mesoamerica.

The Spanish... you get the picture.

1 hour ago, Acacia Sgt said:

If it's bad, it's bad. Double Standards should not be created out of it.

After all, will that game address the fact the Aztecs, like the Spanish, were foreigners that arrived to Mesoamerica and eventually engaged a campaign of conquest against the other peoples living there? Or will it stick to recent trends of just portraying them as victims and downplaying the above? That's what I mean about Double Standards.

Like, you're right that using the Aztec's own faults to justify the Spanish conquest is not okay. But what's also not okay is to sweep the fact those faults still happened. Or that even if not, the Aztecs were doing the very thing the Spanish would do to them. So to condemn one but not the other is... well, certainly a problem.

It's not about whether it's bad so much as if it's a lesser evil. The Aztec invasions were brutal but in truth weren't very different from city state wars that had been happening since classical Mesoamerica. Remember, the majority of Tlaxcalan people were also Nahua, spoke Nahuatl, and came with the same people who would form the Aztec empire in the migration from the north into lake Texcoco.

The Spanish invasions of the Americas wasn't just a conquering of Empires, it was a conquering of people, as unlike the Aztec empire, New Spain regularly burnt down cities and documents of indigenous history within the empire, which is why we have so little of it today. The temples that live to today are the ones New Spain never found and were long forgotten or left behind by Americans when Europeans arrived, not to mention the small pox killing 80% of Americans, a fact that the Spanish abused constantly to kill populations of cities or even just villages in an early form of biological warfare (Something that later French, US, and British colonizers would use)

It was a cultural and ethnic genocide, something on a scale not just unknown to Americans but also Europeans as Catholic missionaries were horrified of what was happening, with many preaching against it.

And the scars of that genocide continue to affect us to this very day. As recently as the 1970s, Guatemala had declared indigenous people as an enemy of the state and would bomb local communities and villages.

So that's what the inquiry is about, is a world in which the old world left us alone in our little squabbles better than our world where their invasion nearly caused our extinction?

Obviously this is more of a wishful thinking "what if?" scenario. The past is the past and we'd do better planning for the future than lamenting about the past, but I still find it an interesting question.

Edited by GuardianSing

23 minutes ago, GuardianSing said:

So that's what the inquiry is about, is a world in which the old world left us alone in our little squabbles better than our world where their invasion nearly caused our extinction?

Well, first we need to discern if things in the Americas would've or not reached the point that did in Europe. At some point Europe was at that level, or similar, that were in the Americas at the time, no? So it's basically a matter of saying: "This happens today or tomorrow". It's hard to say since Europe's arrival to the Americas did interrupted things over here. So how are we to know how it would've developed in the future. All we know is that humans are capable of it. So what would make humans from any given area of the world different?

23 minutes ago, GuardianSing said:

not to mention the small pox killing 80% of Americans, a fact that the Spanish abused constantly to kill populations of cities or even just villages in an early form of biological warfare (Something that later French, US, and British colonizers would use)

You know, I once read that the idea the Spanish used smallpox deliberately was a slander that began by the British and French. Not to claim it never happened, as I wouldn't know, but that it was overblown by Spain's enemies. The only thing certain is that while it was being deliberately used for biological warfare in the wars between the British and French in North America, down south the Spanish were long taking measure to stop its spread.

I'd have to look it up again.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

1 hour ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Well, first we need to discern if things in the Americas would've or not reached the point that did in Europe. At some point Europe was at that level, or similar, that were in the Americas at the time, no? So it's basically a matter of saying: "This happens today or tomorrow". It's hard to say since Europe's arrival to the Americas did interrupted things over here. So how are we to know how it would've developed in the future. All we know is that humans are capable of it. So what would make humans from any given area of the world different?

Indeed Europeans reached that extend, but ever since the Roman Empire, European countries haven't been able expand their historical borders within Europe to a huge extent, in part because the military and institutional technology was very evenly matched throughout the Early Modern, and Industrial periods, so they fucked off to places in the world that didn't have the technological ability to resist them.

So here's what I'm thinking, had Europeans just never found the Americas, the Aztec Empire reaches to an extend and then collapses under it's own weight spawning in new independent empires. A few tribes in North America were already well on their way to becoming empires so they reach that conclusion without European interference, and eventually most North and South American land are under imperial rule from one of the many states that now exist.

Wars happen, people are killed, and atrocities are committed, all especially being hard on the peoples that remained in tribes and never engaged in imperialism which there no doubt would be plenty of just as there are in Europe, but since all the powers there are largely on the same level strength wise, no one nation would be able to pull of a hegemony and so a lot more of our history, culture, and maybe even livelyhood would stay much more intact.

Still you are right, It is an evil, I personally believe that we as humans should've never "progressed" beyond the Neolithic period and if we did, it should've been without our ingrained Human Tribalism, something that only ever made since in the Neolithic period and even then only barely.

Maybe a better hypothetical would be "What if people were nice to each other"

Edited by GuardianSing

My grandfather has passed away. It was not unexpected. He was severely weakened after the scare in January, if you recall that, and only got worse from there. For a couple of weeks now he had barely been eating, drinking or speaking. We knew it would happen any day now, and well, two days ago it happened. His condition suddenly worsened, he was hospitalized and sedated, and a few hours ago he passed.

Just figured I'd mention it. Don't worry about me, I'm fine. At least, after the nearly four years he spent bedridden, he can finally rest now. And so can my grandmother, who so tirelessly cared for him all that time.

7 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

My grandfather has passed away. It was not unexpected. He was severely weakened after the scare in January, if you recall that, and only got worse from there. For a couple of weeks now he had barely been eating, drinking or speaking. We knew it would happen any day now, and well, two days ago it happened. His condition suddenly worsened, he was hospitalized and sedated, and a few hours ago he passed.

Just figured I'd mention it. Don't worry about me, I'm fine. At least, after the nearly four years he spent bedridden, he can finally rest now. And so can my grandmother, who so tirelessly cared for him all that time.

I'll pray for your family!

2 minutes ago, Lightcosmo said:

I'll pray for your family!

Ditto

10 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Sounds like my ex’s brother. Type 1 Diabetes killed him slow over about 3-4 years. It represented a lifestyle imposition that he just couldn’t accept.  Her mother died quick when the end came for her and the ex didn’t take that well. When her brother died it was a bit more of a relief since he was about literally down to skin and bones and missin a leg

We ❤️ Katamari: Reroll has finally released, the best of the Katamari games, the most joyously self indulgent of the Katamari games, makes its return to modern consoles. If you need a dose of strange, quirky, over-exuberant, and brimming with joy game, this is a great little game to pick up.

2 hours ago, GuardianSing said:

mUKGOUP.png

Sounds like an interesting setting, but the description of the genre sounds like one I rarely enjoy. There was a time where those crafting survival games really flooded Steam, and they made a lasting bad impression on me.

1 hour ago, Saint Rubenio said:

My condolences on your loss. Not sure if this is entirely appropriate, but I will leave a classic song here

The Engage manga has made an interesting manuever

20230601_213558.jpg?width=428&height=618

20230601_213620.jpg?width=428&height=618

Lumera isn't actually dead (yet). She's just out of comission.

@Acacia Sgt in your rewrites, you would've made it so Lumera dies at The Funny instead. Since the manga doesn't have the time crystal present, i have a suspicion they may do just that.

8 hours ago, GuardianSing said:

t's honestly quite tragic how subjects of the Aztecs saw Cortez as this liberator who would help free them from the empire but then ended up being conquered just the same.

"I didn't think the leopards would eat *my* face".

Unfortunately even if the Spaniards didn't conquer the other tribes, disease would do them in.

Now i'm actually curious tho. While i know Native Americans were not exposed to the same diseases the Europeans were, surely the Americas had their own diseases to deal with. I mean, they did, but my point is it's on the same planet. Even without being exposed to the same disease, surely there were similar diseases. The Black Death wiped out 1/3 of Europe but a lot of that also had to do with incredibly unsanitary conditions and i think Native Americans were generally a lot cleaner. At least leaning closer to Ancient Rome.

3 hours ago, GuardianSing said:

So here's what I'm thinking, had Europeans just never found the Americas, the Aztec Empire reaches to an extend and then collapses under it's own weight spawning in new independent empires. A few tribes in North America were already well on their way to becoming empires so they reach that conclusion without European interference, and eventually most North and South American land are under imperial rule from one of the many states that now exist.

I think the arrival of the Europeans was an unfortunate inevitability. If the Europeans never arrived in the Americas, things would've lasted longer but i think it would've also fallen harder. Even after the collapse of the Roman Empire, Europe was generally more advanced than the Americas. When the Spaniards arrived, they cannons and muskets, this was technology generally expanded to most of Europe and Asia.

Hypothetically speaking, Europe and Asia were moving far more in technology than the Americas. So what happens when they begin launching satellites and discover not one but two continents never seen before. So they go there and uh oh, people live there. Honestly i think in this timeline the massacre that would've occurred would've been way worse. It's possible someone could've cracked the code but the Americans were always going to be several centuries, maybe even a millennia behind. The exception would be if they (unknowingly) kept up with the technological advancements of Europe. By doing so, Europe would've (reluctantly) be forced to recognize them as sovereign nations. Not that that wouldn't stop wars but they wouldn't be so easy to fight at that point.

4 hours ago, GuardianSing said:

Maybe a better hypothetical would be "What if people were nice to each other"

Time to shill my favorite moment in television ever again

this will never not be relevant.

2 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

I'm sorry to hear that. You have my condolences. Wish I had anything better to say...

3 minutes ago, Armagon said:

The Engage manga has made an interesting manuever

Lumera isn't actually dead (yet). She's just out of comission.

@Acacia Sgt in your rewrites, you would've made it so Lumera dies at The Funny instead. Since the manga doesn't have the time crystal present, i have a suspicion they may do just that.

Well well well, how about that. If it truly happens like that...

"I didn't think the leopards would eat *my* face".

Unfortunately even if the Spaniards didn't conquer the other tribes, disease would do them in.

The Spanish at least were actually very divided on this matter. Some certainly wanted to exploit them, while others did in fact tried to protect them. As early as the end of the 16th Century you had Bartolome de las Casas writing a book about it, trying to bring awareness of the subject.

Sadly, the former camp would often win out most of the time.

Now i'm actually curious tho. While i know Native Americans were not exposed to the same diseases the Europeans were, surely the Americas had their own diseases to deal with. I mean, they did, but my point is it's on the same planet. Even without being exposed to the same disease, surely there were similar diseases. The Black Death wiped out 1/3 of Europe but a lot of that also had to do with incredibly unsanitary conditions and i think Native Americans were generally a lot cleaner. At least leaning closer to Ancient Rome.

I think it had more to do that the Americas didn't had the conditions to make its inhabitants be generally resistant to diseases like the Europeans were by the time contact was made. I would no doubt the disease thing did went both ways, but Europeans were just better prepared on their end. If contact had happened earlier, maybe it would've been more equal.

I think the arrival of the Europeans was an unfortunate inevitability. If the Europeans never arrived in the Americas, things would've lasted longer but i think it would've also fallen harder. Even after the collapse of the Roman Empire, Europe was generally more advanced than the Americas. When the Spaniards arrived, they cannons and muskets, this was technology generally expanded to most of Europe and Asia.

Hypothetically speaking, Europe and Asia were moving far more in technology than the Americas. So what happens when they begin launching satellites and discover not one but two continents never seen before. So they go there and uh oh, people live there. Honestly i think in this timeline the massacre that would've occurred would've been way worse. It's possible someone could've cracked the code but the Americans were always going to be several centuries, maybe even a millennia behind. The exception would be if they (unknowingly) kept up with the technological advancements of Europe. By doing so, Europe would've (reluctantly) be forced to recognize them as sovereign nations. Not that that wouldn't stop wars but they wouldn't be so easy to fight at that point.

Also, food for fought. Would the peoples of the Americas had remained there if the Europeans hadn't come to them? Sure, it's more isolated, but what would stop them from building ships and sailing across the oceans? Or land exploration across the Bering Strait for that matter?

3 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Wonder what he was thinking about those last few days, if he was ready to go. It's an unimaginable feeling.

A loss like that is never easy to go through, best wishes to your family ❤️

40 minutes ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

Sounds like an interesting setting, but the description of the genre sounds like one I rarely enjoy. There was a time where those crafting survival games really flooded Steam, and they made a lasting bad impression on me.

What's funny is that the game would honestly just need to be "okay" for me to buy it because to my knowledge no other game exists with this setting.

29 minutes ago, Armagon said:

The reason is because the way big diseases show up is through major cities, most plagues start in livestock which are brought to big cities which are a breeding ground for diseases to endlessly spread through thousands of hosts

Pre-colombian America had cities but they were few and far between, as well as being pretty clean like you said compared to Europe's cities at the time.

33 minutes ago, Armagon said:

I think a more likely answer is that if Spain didn't find it, China might have, the Ming Dynasty is already theorized to have discovered the continent before Colombus, they just didn't do anything.

So in this hypothetical, lets say after around a hundred years of Empires growing and developing on the Americas, China manages to discover them on the California cost. And this is a big if but lets say that since China was already pretty large and had shit to deal with they decided to just not go through the effort of conquering them and traded with them instead. This exchange of goods eventually leads to gunpower and modern military being traded which will cause some border gore through wars but also make them more of a threat in the eyes of the rest of the world.

So by the time small but ambitious empires learn of this "new world" the native empires are well able to defend themselves against European weaponry.

I wonder if Buddhism would become popular there...

32 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Also, food for fought. Would the peoples of the Americas had remained there if the Europeans hadn't come to them? Sure, it's more isolated, but what would stop them from building ships and sailing across the oceans? Or land exploration across the Bering Strait for that matter?

That's also a possibility, Natives discovering Europe. I don't even think I could give an educated guess on how that would turn out

Though it does get me wondering how a Native American ocean viable vessel would look like, how different it might be from ones in Europe and Asia at the time.

2 minutes ago, GuardianSing said:

What's funny is that the game would honestly just need to be "okay" for me to buy it because to my knowledge no other game exists with this setting.

Not the only part of it, but I remember Empire Earth II has its tutorial with the Aztecs, and repelling the Spanish is part of it.

1 minute ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Not the only part of it, but I remember Empire Earth II has its tutorial with the Aztecs, and repelling the Spanish is part of it.

Yeah if you include historical strategy games into the mix then there are plenty of games with that setting but I was thinking 3D move around character games.

All this talk of hypothetical American alt-history really makes me excited for a future America playthrough in EU4.

I don't want to start any new games though since I still have so many unfinished playthroughs.

I certainly get my fill.

ePltk3h.png

---

Anyway... oh wow, different boss music now? Aw, the other one was too funky... but I guess for this particular fight it wouldn't be too appropiate.

And now the Senate has passed the debt ceiling deal, US default averted! -Four days before failing to do so would've caused a global economic catastrophe. Yay?

---

Even though I'm making gradual progress on XS and RF, I'm feeling harsher on myself about my backlog right now. Like, in the past few days, the weight of the backlog feels heavier for some reason, and I feel even more than usual like a fool for squandering so much time that could've been spent reducing it, time I can't get back.😞 

4 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

May he Rest In Peace.🕊️

I do have a relative, I haven't seen them in years and we were never close, who has been the hospital for probably a month now. They might yet survive... but with what quality of life? All the stories I've been hearing secondhand... none of them are good. So, I might have an idea of how it has been for your family.

1 hour ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

We ❤️ Katamari: Reroll has finally released, the best of the Katamari games, the most joyously self indulgent of the Katamari games, makes its return to modern consoles. If you need a dose of strange, quirky, over-exuberant, and brimming with joy game, this is a great little game to pick up.

I would -but I'd want to buy the first game first. Considering how often it goes it on sale, I keep giving it a pass, simply b/c there is no rush.😅

1 hour ago, Armagon said:

I mean, they did, but my point is it's on the same planet. Even without being exposed to the same disease, surely there were similar diseases.

Maybe your brain can realize that "this is a fever, it doesn't feel much different than that the fever that I had before". But, your brain doesn't directly communicate with your immune system, otherwise, you could show it pictures of the structure of strains of a specific viruses and suddenly start produce antibodies of it long before you actually get infected with it.

The fact it, the specific genetic structure of viruses and bacterium matter, and these things mutate very quickly. Thousands of years of isolation was a big deal.

Africans, Asians and Europeans were sufficiently connected by pathogens as they were by other things, so that in case there was shared immunity. 

surely the Americas had their own diseases to deal with.

Syphilis.💞 

-It used to be the case that syphilis was thought to come from the Western Hemisphere. Although the evidence now seems to lean in favor of it existing in the Eastern Hemisphere before Columbus set sail. The ailment that would result in the phrase "A night with Venus and a lifetime with mercury" and contributed to a 1600s fad for pubic wigs to hide the scar tissue (beside a forest down below being societally attractive at the time), simply went oddly unnoticed in the written record for a very long time. -Although the Eastern Hemisphere hypothesis hasn't been completely proven/the Western Hemisphere origin completely disproven.

and i think Native Americans were generally a lot cleaner. At least leaning closer to Ancient Rome.

Don't assume Rome was perfectly hygienic.

Yes, Rome loved the public baths and spread them to every city in the Empire. But remember- they're public, open to everybody, young and old, rich and poor. Apparently the sick were sometimes assigned separate bathing hours, but not everyone carrying a serious disease will carry symptoms, and they may be contagious even when they look healthy. The baths weren't necessarily cleaned as often as they should've been, and it's not like they had antibacterial cleaning supplies, and being baths -no chlorine that they didn't have either. 

In other words, the Roman baths could be like a modern public swimming pool, in a major city, during the peak of summer, crowded with yucky snotty children with cuts and bruises and leaky bowels. A Petri dish you can do the butterfly stroke in.🤢🦠

Still cleaner than the Dark/Middle/Early Modern eras to follow fo sho', but don't assume the Romans were as clean as can be. The not-rich especially.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer