Serenes Forest's Teehee Thread

MisterIceTeaPeach

Wait I’m confused, what don’t people like about S support CGs? None of them felt particularly noteworthy to me... other than Annnette’s for being good. And I guess Marianne’s is good considering her character and relationship development.... *grumbles*

• Replies 176.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Shrimpica

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

1 minute ago, Sooks1016 said:

The CGs are just the characters....

Some of them are really awful, though. I haven't seen every last one of them, but Edelgard's is...Something, to say the least.

2 minutes ago, Sooks1016 said:

Anyway, I was referring to where the game would be in terms of character design.

It's not like I totally dislike the character design. I just think it's weaker than some other entries.

3 minutes ago, Dayni said:

feel like most of the timeskip are improvements anyway.

ngl I can't wait to see Alois' post timeskip portrait.

3 minutes ago, Dayni said:

S-supports were a mistake, especially in 3H

Fixed it for ya!

Wait I’m confused, what don’t people like about S support CGs? None of them felt particularly noteworthy to me... other than Annnette’s for being good. And I guess Marianne’s is good considering her character and relationship development.... *grumbles*

Mainly the facial features of characters like Mercedes and Edelgard look...off. Just strange, really.

Just now, Benice said:

Fixed it for ya!

I mean, they're completely optional, so...

To me it feels like someone else drew them and while that isn't bad on paper, there is some uncanny valley looking ones. Like, look at Edelgard's S-Support CG. She looks like an alien.

4 minutes ago, Armagon said:
7 minutes ago, Ottservia said:

That all still falls into the subjective category though. Mainly because there's no such thing as objectivity in the arts.

I really don’t want to get into this argument again so let’s just say it’s a big gray area as with most things. If there really was no such thing as objectivity in the arts then critique has no meaning. And a child could play as well as mozart by just smashing random keys on the piano. Like I said it’s a gray area. Whether you like something is subjective but the reasoning you give can be based in incorrect or faulty information and that’s where objectivity comes to play in regards to critical analysis.

3 minutes ago, Sooks1016 said:

Have you seen Edelgard’s S-support art?! What the fuck happened to her face?!

3 minutes ago, twilitfalchion said:

mean, they're completely optional, so...

Are they? Right now, it looks like I'm S-supporting all three of Ingrid, Marianne and Petra? I didn't wanna S support anyone but I ended up going the harem route anyways

Edited by Benice

6 minutes ago, Sooks1016 said:

I find issue moreso with how they're drawing the characters, they do so in ways that just seem offputting. I felt a shudder looking at Marianne just now, most of them are poor in that sense rather than it just being a bad choice to frame a character like they do with Marianne there

4 minutes ago, Benice said:

Fixed it for ya!

I know I don't feel quite the same way, but you're also not wrong with 3H's choices and I hate to say it.

(Also, no you don't get a harem ending. You'll get your chance another day)

Edited by Dayni

Just now, Benice said:

Are they? Right now, it looks like I'm S-supporting Ingrid, Marianne and Petra? I didn't wanna S support anyone but I ended up going the harem route anyways

Yes, they absolutely are. Those letters being highlighted means that those options are available at endgame. You can skip it if you want to, but you have the option given to you if you want to take it.

3 minutes ago, Benice said:

Some of them are really awful, though. I haven't seen every last one of them (nice), but Edelgard's is...Something, to say the least.

Mainly the facial features of characters like Mercedes and Edelgard look...off. Just strange, really.

I mean, they're completely optional, so...

2 minutes ago, Armagon said:

To me it feels like someone else drew them and while that isn't bad on paper, there is some uncanny valley looking ones. Like, look at Edelgard's S-Support CG. She looks like an alien.

1 minute ago, Ottservia said:

Have you seen Edelgard’s S-support art?! What the fuck happened to her face?!

Wait I actually S supported her and never thought... maybe I need to refresh my memory...

Okay I guess it’s a little off...

1 minute ago, twilitfalchion said:

You can skip it if you want to, but you have the option given to you if you want to take it.

And you absolutely should, because Petra is one of the best girls. *cough*

1 hour ago, lightcosmo said:

Alright, back to chapter 3 again! And this time, Derrick didn't die! XD the cripple RNG hates me, and I know it.

Seriously now, I'm pacing much better this time.

They really push risk taking in Berwick, huh? 

Glad you're doing better this time around!

1 hour ago, Spara said:

I was just looking back at Berwick's OA, and it's amazing how many characters do the long shirt + pants combo, usually with gloves of some kind. The only characters who don't follow that trend are all the healers, the female mages (excluding Enid), and Faye. Really, my only criticism of a lot of the Berwick OA is that some of the armor designs for female characters feel a bit arbitrarily designed - Alvina wears no armor whatsoever over her biceps, but has gauntlets and wears armor basically everywhere else. It makes more sense for someone like Paramythis due to the non-armored glove design, but why leave such an important spot open like that when having armor everywhere else? I know I'm being nitpicky as hell, but it just feels kinda dumb. It's definitely nowhere near as bad as AwakeFates or 3H, though. 

It's not only the women, actually. It's more noticeable on Alvina and Ruby because they wear sleeveless shirts, but the likes of Adel and Leon also leave their arms exposed. I'm pretty sure a green sweater isn't going to stop a sword.

1 hour ago, twilitfalchion said:

And even Three Houses' designs are generally great as well.

Three Houses's artstyle initially bugged me, but it grew on me. There's a few designs that I feel a bit meh about (mostly the more fanservicey ones, like war!Hilda, school!Dorothea and Manuela), but on the other hand there's designs I absolutely adore, like Hanneman, war!Ignatz, Seteth, Catherine, war!Ferdinand, war!Lorenz (yeah, I know - sorry, I legit like his hair post-timeskip), Leonie (except for the shorts, those are kinda dumb, but I can forgive them)...

So yeah, Three houses's character designs get my seal of approval. Class designs are a different matter, though.

51 minutes ago, twilitfalchion said:

ndohuessghf11.png

What is this and why is it the most glorious thing I've seen all day.

Well, second most glorious, after Yubello handing Hardin his ass on a silver platter.

42 minutes ago, Armagon said:

unknown.png?width=769&height=432

I can't believe Inigo crossed over into another game.

I can see the resemblance. Kaga did it first!

Also, there's a pretty interesting parallel between this guy and Fates's Arthur. If it's a coincidence, well... It's one hell of a crazy coincidence.

14 minutes ago, Dayni said:

Kozaki in his role would be given guidelines on what he's drawing by the art director for those games (Fates is definitely Kusakihara, Awakening as well) and those would be assessed afterwards by relevant figures in the art team.

Ahhh, so it's as I imagined. Kozaki is a legitimately talented man who got absolute horseshit direction.

2 minutes ago, twilitfalchion said:

The teacher is roughly the same age as the students though, and they don't marry until they're all of age.

Fun fact: Hubert and Mercedes are older than Byleth

Edit: I don’t know why I spoiler tagged that

Edited by Sooks1016

5 minutes ago, Ottservia said:

If there really was no such thing as objectivity in the arts then critique has no meaning.

Well no, critique is what you feel about it. I agree you do have to know what you're talking about but my point is there is no "this is objectively good/bad". I have a friend who hates 2001: A Space Odyssey and that movie is considered one of the best of all time. He wrote a whole essay for his film class about why he thinks the movie is stinky.

2 minutes ago, Dayni said:

Also, no you don't get a harem ending. You'll get your chance another

Hopefully the Berwick Saga remake.

1 minute ago, BrightBow said:

Considering the context is a teacher getting it on with their students, the CGs can't be drawn unsettling enough.

You're... You're not wrong.

2 minutes ago, twilitfalchion said:

Yes, they absolutely are. Those letters being highlighted means that those options are available at endgame. You can skip it if you want to, but you have the option given to you if you want to take it.

Oh, okay. Weird, but alright. I thought it was gonna force me to S-support Marianne because I saw her in the goddess tower. Thank goodness.

1 minute ago, Benice said:

Oh, okay. Weird, but alright. I thought it was gonna force me to S-support Marianne because I saw her in the goddess tower. Thank goodness.

Wait where do Petra and Ingrid come in then?

Just now, Saint Rubenio said:

What is this and why is it the most glorious thing I've seen all day.

That is what I want to be the lynchpin for any art direction for if we get any more Archanaean remakes, double down on the Reco-Roman stylings imo.

Hopefully the Berwick Saga remake.

Frankly it needs to be noticed by its current owners first and I suspect that's a hard sell. I wouldn't say no to helping, because if there's any title that deserves to leave Japan now it's Kaga's least FE title.

The teacher is roughly the same age as the students though, and they don't marry until they're all of age.

It's about the role, though. Byleth holds/held a position of power over the student. Power imbalance in a relatioonship ain't a good thing. Just look at Nyna and Hardin.  I think everyone still calls you Professor as well, soooooo....

Not that it bothers me that much in the video game.

uNWGpDw.jpg

WW9oqk4.jpg

Beautiful

It's about the role, though. Byleth holds/held a position of power over the student. Power imbalance in a relatioonship ain't a good thing. Just look at Nyna and Hardin.  I think everyone still calls you Professor as well, soooooo....

They are all nobles/royalty that can get his head, just sayin

Tbh it never bothered me and I’m not really sure why. Probably because they all always acted like buddies.

Also you can’t convince me that Hubert doesn’t want a power imbalance

1 minute ago, Shrimperor said:

uNWGpDw.jpg

WW9oqk4.jpg

Are the stats color coded?

Wait where do Petra and Ingrid come in then?

I dunno, but it says that my bond with them is so deep that after the war it'll deepen more. I guessed that there was no harem route, and would just default to the goddess tower.

1 minute ago, Shrimperor said:

They are all nobles/royalty that can get his head, just sayin

Isn't he the pope in most routes?

Green= good growths, red= bad growths

Isn't he the pope in most routes?

at the end of most routes, not at the start

Just now, Sooks1016 said:

Tbh it never bothered me and I’m not really sure why. Probably because they all always acted like buddies.

It's their growth rates-The more green it is, the closer to 100.

Just now, Sooks1016 said:

Kinky.

Well, the game never mentions it either.