What if Ike/your main lord ran around the base?

KelluPato

So it seems there are leaks that say Path of Radiance/Radiant Dawn will be the next games to be remade.  If that’s the case, do you think IntSys would incorporate gameplay elements from 3H in the remake?  Since the 2 most recent mainline fe games have 3D explore-able environments, I think it would be cool for Ike/the main lord at the time of the game ran around a 3D base where the shops and stalls would be and where he could activate the special base conversations.  Sure, that would make the menus for the base to be revised and a bit less efficient, but it would be cool to walk around and talk to the different members of your army. The base doesn’t have to be as large as the monastery, but I think the base would be cool.  What do you all think? 

I don't think so. It would be a huge budget sink,  because nearly every chapter had a new base. With single paintings that was fine, but with whole 3D environments per base...

And 3H's base was so huge that it became a huge pain to navigate. Something more like Fates' castle would be more convenient, but harder to fit into the story. I like the Tellius bases just the way they are.

Edited by Alastor15243

Nah, I'd prefer simper, so that there's more emphasis on gameplay, like in the GBA games. My favorite iteration of a base was Navaron from Berwick Saga, but FE9/10 are quite similar and effective.

There are?

Anyway, hmm, no, I don't think it would be feasible for explorable bases for the Tellius games, as pointed already. You're on the move too much every base would have to be or very small, or asset-share a lot between them, or something like that.

I'd say, this would go for every game in general so long they don't have a single base setup, like Fates of Three Houses do. I think the only pre-existing game which could pull this off in a remake would be Genealogy. Mostly because it wouldn't need to create as many since there's only ten of them, and/or make them as big as Garreg Mach is. Places like the castle towns could easily asset-share if needed too.

As for Tellius, their bases as they are would still be fine for a remake.

menu-base is simple, easier to make and effective (and classier imo)

they should just stick with that, but i'd love to see many more info convos

10 minutes ago, Yexin said:

menu-base is simple, easier to make and effective (and classier imo)

they should just stick with that, but i'd love to see many more info convos

This. I would like to see some info conversations get their own CG or cutscene. For example, there's one info conversation where Ike, in an attempt to hide from Aimee, frantically hides under Soren's desk. I need to see a CG or cutscene of Ike being reduced to a state of frantically hiding under a desk; it would be just too funny. 

Where are these leaks even coming from?

Anyways. I loved the monastery, but exploring it repeatedly became quite dull, unless you recruited a bunch of people, it becomes so empty after the timeskip. I wouldn't mind returning to the menu format, just give us more base conversations and CGs.

FE remakes have remained pretty faithful, so I don't see Tellius remakes adding such a big new thing.

Side note, they'll probably throw an avatar character into theoretical Tellius remakes.

It would change too much of PoR/RD to add in something so substantial as an explorable base in a potential remake. Like an above commenter said, I wouldn’t mind having an arena to build my units with (maybe to replace bonus exp) and a mess hall to cook with, but little else beyond that. 

I'm not opposed to base exploration, but they need to seriously shrink the size. The monastery in 3H is too large. As a rule of thumb, if your base requires separate instances to load into... NOPE!

39 minutes ago, twilitfalchion said:

It would change too much of PoR/RD to add in something so substantial as an explorable base in a potential remake. Like an above commenter said, I wouldn’t mind having an arena to build my units with (maybe to replace bonus exp) and a mess hall to cook with, but little else beyond that. 

Bonus xp should never be replaced. In fact, it should return for all new games.

Edited by Fabulously Olivier

3 hours ago, Lau said:

Where are these leaks even coming from?

Mangs has a video up on his channel on the leaks, I’m not sure if they are true or not, but there is a lot of evidence!

If they return to an explorable base, they should do like the Pagan Altar in Abyss, where a sub-menu allows you to go directly in front of the vendor/other feature to reduce the waste of time in walking if you're tired of it already or want to get it over with quickly. I think there's potential, and they could do something like a moving caravan/base, where the layout is the same, but the background/weather changes. Tellius is specially good for this since they have a story-integrated merchant caravan, and the tents (specially the meeting room ones) are shown often. They'd already be designing the tents for story cutscenes. For FE9, the alternate base looks could be Begnion for that arc. For FE10, there'd have to be more looks or expansions for the Dawn Brigade's mechant caravan pre-Pelleas, a Crimean base, a Daein army one without the merchant caravan, and probably a change of look for the supply caravan as it goes from Dawn Brigade/Daein to Ike's army to then splitting into 3 (although they'd likely just reuse the layout and change the background).

I'm surprised the Echoes: Path of Radiance typo is still up at the moment of writing this, but I think they'd rename the Path of Radiance subtitle to something else. For now, this will remain a rumor, and I'll say the main hint is still Binding Blade since that'd be the one the Echoes: Shadows of Valentia director would like and answered when asked in that interview 3 years ago. Like Mangs said, Ike is the most popular FE character and Tellius is very popular, and due to the inflated prices because they were the worst selling at time of release, they could be considered the most wanting of a remake, and Nintendo/IS will want to cash in on this.

3 hours ago, Florete said:

Side note, they'll probably throw an avatar character into theoretical Tellius remakes.

Hopefully not, but it will probably be true. An avatar in Tellius would be another Kris, and making them just another new Greil Mercenaries recruit would go against the story relevance expected from Avatars by now. The game where I feel they would best fit and help is a Binding Blade remake, replacing most of Merlinus's story interventions, alongside an upgrade of Lilina's story relevance (in exchange for making her a retreating character).

I don't really want a base to run around and give items to everyone and whatnot, doesn't seem like an Ike thing to do since he already has an established character and all. Also I don't want my play time to be 80+ hours bruh

gross no thanks. Unless the base is literally a few very huddled up huts, please lets get away from 3H explorable bases. Fun for like an hour or 2 but after that the damn thing is nothing but a chore. I miss PoR and RD in part because so much of the game was focused on the missions, as opposed to everything outside of them. I wish we could go back to that. Though i know that is unlikely to happen with the success of recent FE.

I want this for new games, but not for eventual Tellius remasters. I don't think the games will receive a complete remake, probably somewhere between remaster and remake, but adding explorable bases would be overboard imo. There's more pressing issues to solve, like adding supports, fine tuning balancing, quality of life features like speeding up battles, etc. If they do make explorable bases in the future, having a menu where you can quickly access commonly used activities would be great so it's not always necessary to run around/quick travel to the specific rooms.

In this case the bases would need to be barracks/the moving war troop/caravan with the background changing depending of the city they are.  

Edited by Mylady

On 5/21/2020 at 3:26 AM, This boi uses Nino said:

I don't really want a base to run around and give items to everyone and whatnot, doesn't seem like an Ike thing to do since he already has an established character and all. 

iirc ike actually visits his comrades' tents whenever he has the time, he says this during an info/support conversation (can't remember) during PoR's second part

but yeah, i don't think he does so to give lost items back, that would be dumb of him

Here's my potential compromise: keep it as a menu system, but based on a 2D overhead map. You (the player, not Ike) can hover over the appropriate features to interact with the NPCs. Say, Muston has the "Armory" tent, Jorge handles the "Forge", etc. There are also tents where you can manage Skills and BEXP, among other things. Characters that have a base or support conversation will show up as well (ideally in cute 2D sprite form), and clicking on them activates their conversation. The layout of the base is consistent, but the aesthetics change with where you are (snowy Daein, forested Gallia, literally just on a boat like how did we fit all these tents here). This could be a way to make the menu system more aesthetically immersive, while avoiding the time and resource sink that can come from a fully-explorable base.