FE4 Love Critical Bug

Searched for a while and couldn't find anyone else mentioning this, but noticed an odd thing when playing FE4 Binary. Not sure if it's specific to that hack or if its in the vanilla game as well.

I was fighting Zyne in chapter 2 with Cuan and triggered a love critical with Ethlin one tile adjacent. However, instead of Cuan getting a critical hit, Zyne got the critical hit. I tested it multiple times and got the same result; anytime Cuan would get the love critical against Zyne, it would be a dead Cuan. Interestingly, Zyne and Cuan shared the same class, being Duke Knights. It's as if the game searches for the first character that has the class of the character who was supposed to get the auto-critical and stops there and gives them the auto-critical, rather than using a character ID or a unique way to find the correct combatant.

Anyone else notice this before? Thought it was interesting. It's possibly a bug or I'm not understand a specific game mechanic.

2 hours ago, Mekkah said:

Well, Zyne is guaranteed to crit with the Horseslayer. Maybe Quan missed?

Good thought, but no, Cuan would attack first with a regular attack, and it would not miss.

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but in the Binary hack, the Horseslayer increases the damage for every attack done to mounted units but does not guarantee a critical. So most of the time, Zyne would not execute a critical attack, though he would do big damage with his normal attack. However, when the love critical triggered between Cuan and Ethlin,  Cuan would just get a regular attack and Zyne would get a critical every time.

Now I'm thinking it is probably just a Binary issue since the critical system was revamped significantly from vanilla.

You say you tried it multiple times, but if you just kept immediately having Cuan attack each time you loaded the file, the result of the battle wouldn't change. With FE4, a different battle would have to be triggered to change the RNG string to produce a different result (which could potentially also change the fact that you were getting a lover crit, i.e. say you had Lex go into battle then Cuan the next time you loaded your file. Since you now changed the RNG string via Lex's battle, there's no guarantee Cuan would get the lover crit this time. If you kept going into battle and repeating the exact same thing, the result wouldn't change at all).

Chances are, Cuan attacked with his normal attack first and would have attacked with a crit after that. As far as I know from my double digits playthroughs, lover crits aren't always the initial attack if they end up attacking more than once. In this case, my guess is that Cuan was going to attack again, the second time with the crit, but Zyne would attack and defeat him before Cuan attacks again (thus making him unable to attack again at the time he would use the crit), and with a horseslayer he normally gets a guaranteed crit against Cuan (though I haven't played the hack so I'm not sure if there's a bug as far as the horseslayer goes in this case).

It seems to me like you were just defeated before he got the chance to initiate the crit (also, you mentioned the hack doesn't guarantee a crit, which sounds like it is still possible, but doesn't always occur).

Edited by Jugdral Defender

As I check https://lparchive.org/Fire-Emblem-4-Binary/Update 05/ Zyne has Critical.

The Horseslayer/Knightkiller gives +15 or maybe +20 atk against horse unit, with Critical triple the damage, it would be +45/+60 so surely he can kill Cuan.

72-Ch3_216.png73-Ch3_217.png

Speaking of boring, Zyne is now on the map. His equipment hasn't changed, although his increased Skl and Spd make his Knight Killer quite more dangerous, and so do his Pursuit and Critical.

Edited by Tetragrammaton

I didn't catch that it was Binary. I believe that game lets anyone double attack unlike vanilla, so in that case Quan was probably just going to crit on his follow-up attack. The lover crit animation displays if a person is going to crit at all, it does not guarantee that the first hit is a crit.

Thanks for the responses.

For the random number issue, one nice thing about FE4 Binary is that the random numbers are changed on a reset. So you are right in that Vanilla you'd get the same results if you reset and reload and activate the same battle, but in Binary you get different results. This is how I was able to test the conditions of the seldom activated love critical, and in the event I did get a love critical, 100% of those times Cuan wouldn't get the critical but Zyne would.

It is possible that it could be a coincidence that Zyne is getting natural crits (he has a 18% chance thanks to the Critical skill), but for it to always line up with the love critical animation seems fishy. Plus I tested it out until I activated the love critical about 7-8 times before I gave up and found another route (clearly I really wanted to kill Zyne with Cuan), so it would be a mighty coincidence. Also, Zane's natural crit kicking in solution also wouldn't explain why Cuan's crit always vanishes; if that were the case they would both be getting crits. It seems to me that Zyne is snatching Cuan's lover crit. This is the only time so far I've been able to see this problem, otherwise the love crit seems to be working fine. That is why I think it could be the fact that Cuan and Zyne have the same class that could be throwing the programming off.

As for multiple attacks, my Cuan had an Attack Speed of 15 and Zyne had 11. In Binary, if you don't have pursuit skill, you need 6 more AS than your opponent to double attack. So Cuan won't double Zyne here. He could if Continue activated, and I did see it activate a couple times in my tests combined with the activated love critical, but neither attack were critical hits. Also, neither Cuan nor Zyne have the Charge skill, so no chance of the battle extending.

I uploaded the below video to youtube to show an example of what I've been seeing:

If two lovers are next to each other and a crit occurs, the animation plays, regardless of who gets the crit. See this video I made while I was working on the Binary menu translation. (The lover crit animation's mostly cut off, but you can see a few frames at the beginning.)

Alvis got a crit, but since Celice was standing next to Lana, his wife, the lover's crit animation still played.

Gotcha. So essentially it's not a bug that mistakenly assigns who gets a love critical, but rather a misleading love critical animation that shows up if either combatant happens to trigger a critical. It makes sense that this would be more visible issue in Binary, since all enemies can critical you in this version.

Thanks.