List 2 changes you'd make to your 1st Fire Emblem Game

How about we each list 2 things that if The 1st Fire Emblem Game each of us ever played got A Remake that we would like changed?. Mine was . Mine was Game 7, I think that fans have nicknamed it Blazing Sword. Here are my 2 changes

The 1st change that is that since every Magic User in the game, potentially even Nino, Priscillia and Serra, can easily surpass Erk that I would make It so that rather then if he survives only Erk being given the option to replace The Retired Pent as The Mage General of Ethuria have the option to replace The Retired Pent as The Mage General of Ethuria  be given to the most powerful user of Magic that is alive at the end of the game

The 2nd change that I would make is that after rescuing Lyns Grandfather it is said that Sonia has been married to Brendan for a year but since I find it impossible to believe that even someone as good Sonia could have taken almost complete control of The Black Fang in what I estimate was a maximum of 3 months and done so without turning the likes of Lloyd, Linus, Uhai, Jahn and Legault against her so I'd change it to either her having been married to Brendan for just under 2 years or them having been in a relationship for just under 2 years and been married for just over a year

Edited by James Marshall

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So Blazing Blade was my 1st FE as well. My changes would be:

Limstella- I want to learn more about her, it feels like she is both a serious player in the story and yet just a side one tune character. I really feel that she was the prefect morph Nergal was looking for. Nergal even shows a small amount of remorse when sending her to die.(I don’t think even he had planned that she would do that) I want to know who she was and just what really went on in her head.

Second: The Female sniper in the level Eliwood gets the durandal- Okay, this is nitpicky but back in the day you didn’t fight nameless non-gender locked females. So she clearly was mean to be someone. She alway stuck out like a sore thumb to me.

Edited by ciphertul

11 minutes ago, ciphertul said:

wow Blazing Sword is my first FE , three. about 2 things . 

I think : 1) Game systems likes FE:Awakening ( pair-up, split mag-str, skills,lunatic mode v...v.. ) but still keep affinity of charaters.

2) Mark charater creation ( can choose class like Fire Emblem: Shin Monshou no Nazo Hikari to Kage no Eiyuu )

1 hour ago, James Marshall said:

My first (and favourite) FE game was Path of Radiance. Here are two changes I would make to it:

1. I would remove the giant triangular cursor (image below) and leave just the white outline of the selected tile. Once I noticed the giant triangle, I found I very annoying. 

Spoiler

Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance – Hardcore Gaming 101

2. I would add a hint for how to re-recruit Shinon. As weird as trying to recruit Stefan is, at least the game gave a hint. 

My first and still favorite FE is Awakening, which although I love it, has some things that needed fixing.

1. Map quality and variety. Pretty much every map in the game is either rout or defeat boss and they take place in a lot of wide open spaces, reducing the necessary strategy to win. Instead, it becomes a battle of who has the better stats and weapons.

2. Support quality. There are quite a few well-written supports, but you also have a lot of weird, creepy, or downright awful supports between characters. It would have been nice to see some higher quality or more serious-toned supports.

Mine was Sacred stones, and it's still my second favorite game, but I would change

• Higher difficulty settings; it was perfect for my first run through, but now even I find it easy.
  • Buff the trainees a ton and make them plausible to use.
  • More money! I always found funds to be very tight in Sacred Stones

Blazing Blade for me. I think the only changes I can really think of would be to make Mark a deployable unit. He even already has a map sprite. Just make him a tactician similar to Robin.

The other change would be to add better adjunct units, and maybe even bring back pair up for a theoretical remake. 

2 hours ago, twilitfalchion said:

My first and still favorite FE is Awakening

Nice to see another Awakeing fan. Its still my favorite, as it's the one that pulled me back into the franchise.

Awakening was my first, and is my second favourite.

The two things I'd change would be:

1) Involve the future children more. I want to see them have group meetings together discussing their circumstances. Future Past was so good, it's a shame the kids were cast aside.

2) Flesh out the Valm arc. It felt really rushed, but it had a lot of potential. Walhart has fantastic boss conversations with Chrom and Say'ri, give us more!

And a bonus...same-sex relationships. Let male Robin S-support Chrom, IS you cowards!

My first was Path of Radiance and it's my favorite along with RD, so it's hard to say what I'd change here. I guess these two things.

1. Take a small page from RD and have skills not disappear forever when you remove them, plus add more Occult/Occult Scrolls so more of your party can get the related skills.

2. I feel like Elincia should've pecked Ike on the cheek or something in that final cutscene, so add that in when she says "Thank you, my lord Ike. I am...so blessed to have met you." XD I actually thought there'd be a kiss of some kind too... Dang it.

Sacred Stones accomplishes everything it sets out to do and I would change nothing for fear of turning it into a game it wasn't trying to be.

Okay I would change one thing. Sacred Stones allows you to grind 100% of its support log in a single playthrough (provided you have a second save slot at your disposal, and a lot of time on your hands), and compared to FE6 and 7, they made it so supports wouldn't take as many as 80 freaking turns to earn a new rank. Almost. They actually missed one, and it's TethysxRennac. So make that one earn two points a turn like normal. The GBA method of increasing supports is still dumb and tedious, but at least Sacred Stones was built around the system so I wouldn't change it to something else entirely now that the current system had finally been realized.

Edited by Glennstavos

Two changes to Awakening?  I guess I'd make it more like Fates.  Mainly by implementing the Friendship/Partner seal system.  Maybe also changing the pair-up system, but tbh I'd rather they focused their efforts on either changing the balance of Lunatic mode so that it wasn't just Frederick Emblem or redesigning maps.  Probably the former because they never change map designs in remakes.

8 hours ago, ciphertul said:

Limstella- I want to learn more about her, it feels like she is both a serious player in the story and yet just a side one tune character. I really feel that she was the prefect morph Nergal was looking for. Nergal even shows a small amount of remorse when sending her to die.(I don’t think even he had planned that she would do that) I want to know who she was and just what really went on in her head.

I feel Limstella really was wasted potential.  Ephidel became a dragon's roast dinner too soon to leave much of an impact (he mostly seemed to just serve as an introduction to morphs), but Sonia had plenty of characterization and Limstella lasted longer than both of them.  I guess they might've had some ideas for her but ultimately just wanted to focus on rounding out Nergal's story as best they could.

6 hours ago, Benice said:
  • More money! I always found funds to be very tight in Sacred Stones

lmao, I remember when playing Sacred Stones I was extremely regretful over the fact that I didn't use one of the arenas when I had the opportunity for this very reason.

3 hours ago, Lau said:

And a bonus...same-sex relationships. Let male Robin S-support Chrom, IS you cowards!

That actually makes me ponder how they'd handle that in regards to Lucina.  Because I see a few options.

1. Do it the same way as Unassuming Venusaur did in the gay FE hacks and make it so that they're able to produce offspring without much explanation (basically just assuming that because magic exists there's probably a way for a gay couple to produce their own offspring)
  2. Robin only serves as a concubine of Chrom and Chrom has a "legitimate" marriage just to produce an heir (which would be sort of accurate to medieval times, as often times marriage was merely a means of forging alliances and producing pure blue-blooded heirs)
  3. Lucina is a foster child, and I guess they change how the Ylissean royalty are able to pass on their marks
  4. Chrom knocked up some random woman off-screen and Lucina is actually an illegitimate heir

It'd have to be one of these things because you just can't have FE:A without Lucina unless you give its story such a massive overhaul that it's not even the same story.  And if you're gonna just be changing up the story entirely, you might as well just make a different game because the point of a remake is to retell a previous story, perhaps in a slightly different way, but still keeping all the core elements of the story.  Point is, Lucina would need to exist in a FE:A remake, and so the writers would have to explain how Chrom was able to produce Lucina when he's in a homosexual relationship.

I'm sorry, I rambled on way too much on what was probably a joke/light-hearted comment.

My first FE, which also happends to be my favourite, was Awakening. I could think of many things I would change, but if I had to pick just two:

1. Show previous war with Plegia. I felt that the Pelgia could have been a lot better if they put more focus on how badly the Ylissians treated the Plegians before and after that conflict. Being able to see Chrom`s father would also be nice.

2. Make Grima return in a different way. The way Grima returns completly breaks the rules previously established, if they have to make an appearnce, make it happen in a way that doesn`t make the previous chapter pointless.

My first Fire Emblem game was Shadow Dragon. The two changes I'd make are, most definitely and for sure:

1. Support. Conversations.

2. Remove those idiotic gaiden chapter requirement. You shouldn't have to purposely kill off units in your army/not recruit characters in order to get Norne, Horace, Etzel, etc. It's stupid and dumb and terrible.

My first was FE7. Two changes I'd make:

1: Make the hard mode of Lyn Mode actually hard. Maybe not as hard as the beginning of Hector Hard Mode, but give Lyn Mode something of actual gameplay value to anyone who already knows how to play. As it stands, Lyn Hard Mode is basically Lyn Normal Mode without the fun extra tutorial dialogue.

2: Go for a more FE6-style approach to difficulty. Enough with the ridiculous spam of weak units, that just makes anyone who doesn't have good defense and 1-2 range completely unusable. Stronger enemies in lower quantities, the kind of thing that made Rutger and Shin actually useful in FE6 despite being a myrmidon and a nomad respectively.

16 hours ago, Anacybele said:

My first was Path of Radiance and it's my favorite along with RD, so it's hard to say what I'd change here. I guess these two things.

1. Take a small page from RD and have skills not disappear forever when you remove them, plus add more Occult/Occult Scrolls so more of your party can get the related skills.

2. I feel like Elincia should've pecked Ike on the cheek or something in that final cutscene, so add that in when she says "Thank you, my lord Ike. I am...so blessed to have met you." XD I actually thought there'd be a kiss of some kind too... Dang it.

1. Drat; I can't believe I forgot about skills disappearing in Path of Radiance. I'd like to change my second answer to that. 

2. Not a bad idea, though not every story needs to have a kiss at the end; in fact, it can be a bit cliché depending on how the scene's done. Plus, imagine how Geoffrey would feel in Radiant Dawn after finding out that Elincia's first kiss was with Ike🤣

31 minutes ago, Alastor15243 said:

My first was FE7. Two changes I'd make:

1: Make the hard mode of Lyn Mode actually hard. Maybe not as hard as the beginning of Hector Hard Mode, but give Lyn Mode something of actual gameplay value to anyone who already knows how to play. As it stands, Lyn Hard Mode is basically Lyn Normal Mode without the fun extra tutorial dialogue.

2: Go for a more FE6-style approach to difficulty. Enough with the ridiculous spam of weak units, that just makes anyone who doesn't have good defense and 1-2 range completely unusable. Stronger enemies in lower quantities, the kind of thing that made Rutger and Shin actually useful in FE6 despite being a myrmidon and a nomad respectively.

No playable mark ?

36 minutes ago, vanguard333 said:

2. Not a bad idea, though not every story needs to have a kiss at the end; in fact, it can be a bit cliché depending on how the scene's done. Plus, imagine how Geoffrey would feel in Radiant Dawn after finding out that Elincia's first kiss was with Ike🤣

No, not every story needs it, but I still thought it was going to happen in this one due to the way that cutscene was playing out. And it didn't need to be a serious kiss, just a peck on the cheek like I'd mentioned. lol Bah, Geoffrey will get over it. 😛

9 hours ago, Fire Emblem Fan said:

1. Support. Conversations.

Honestly, the fact that Shadow Dragon's characters were about as interesting as the cardboard cutouts they looked like was one of the biggest aspects that hindered my enjoyment of the game (although the gameplay mechanics were quite good). The cutscene dialogue was as minimal and boring as possible (with a few exceptions) and the lack of any kind of support system prevented what could have been a nice way of building upon a very dated story. Thankfully, New Mystery (which I'm playing through now) greatly improved upon SD in that way by adding the "How's Everyone" bit that Awakening would also have (in its own way) and the base conversations (that are actually really good) that PoR introduced. It makes the experience and story so much more compelling when the characters actually interact with each other outside of battle.

My two changes to Blazing Blade: 

1. Change the AS formula - as is, low-con units in general get screwed over. And that's not even getting into the fact that Durandal and the Sol Katti are pretty much unusable because they strip their users of too much AS for them to be worth it.

2. Change the support formula - the GBA support formula is dumb and tedious. Especially when you have a bunch of +1s.

Oh man blazing sword has a ton of changes it could use. Picking just two is the hard part.

1. Speed up supports, pretty obvious why. 

2. Better enemy quality, even in sands of time you're STILL fighting swaths of unpromoted enemies. 

*Surprise bonus 3 lol steel lances*

Shadow dragon was my first game and I still adore it. The 2 changes I'd make would be:

1: Add actual support conversations 

2: Make the gaiden chapters not dependent on how many units you have alive, but on other requirements, such as beating a chapter in x amount of turns, or still having a certain unit alive.

FE7 was my first Fire Emblem game as well. That's apparently even more basic than starting with Awakening.

1. Cut the multiple lords / modes things entirely. Lyn mode is three sentence plot stretched across 10 chapters of level 1 enemies and Hector Mode is so similar to Eliwood mode, I don't get why we shouldn't have access to all the narrative and gameplay content in one route. Starting the game puts you in Eliwood mode chapter 11 (removing the garbage Chapter 11H entirely) but you can still go to Crazed Beast and A Glimpse in Time and all that. There's no reason you should have to beat the game once just so you can have a few dialogue changes and extra chapters on a future playthrough or have access to the proper hard mode.

2. Rework the support mechanic so that supports give smaller bonuses but build much faster, maybe depending on how many maps they've been deployed together like Tellius. Also rewrite a couple like Dorcas / Vaida which is unironically a worse support chain that Beruka / Saizo.