List 2 changes you'd make to your 1st Fire Emblem Game

On 7/13/2020 at 4:27 PM, RomanFlour said:

Sacred Stones was my first.

-Give the player an early game Dark Mage. Your only options for Dark Magic users are Ewan and Knoll, both of whom join rather late.

-Maybe make Myrrh's dragonstone unbreakable or let you get spares? I haven't gotten far enough in the game to when you can use Myrrh.

You can't get more Dragonstones, but you can repair it through a glitch exploit. I think 50 uses is enough for her in the main game, but it'd be nice if there were a way to buy more in the Creature Campaign.

As for an early Dark Mage, that would give you earlier access to a Summoner, making it easier to trivialize the game. I like Dark Magic, but I don't know how an earlier user would fit within the lore.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

You can't get more Dragonstones, but you can repair it through a glitch exploit. I think 50 uses is enough for her in the main game, but it'd be nice if there were a way to buy more in the Creature Campaign.

As for an early Dark Mage, that would give you earlier access to a Summoner, making it easier to trivialize the game. I like Dark Magic, but I don't know how an earlier user would fit within the lore.

In my only somewhat successful attempt to make a hack that combined the two path of Sacred Stones into one playthrough, I added and aged Kliff as a prepromoted Druid available on Ephraim's route. If you don't want the player to have access to summoner a prepremoted Druid would be a natural way of doing it while still providing a unit of some use. Would just worry that they'd then overshadow Knoll when he's eventually recruited. Course Knoll could do with being buffed overall anyway.

Path of Radiance was my first, and I've also just replayed it, finishing last night, so it's fresh in my mind. There are a lot of minor tweaks and fixes I'd make, but if I could only pick two:

1. Completely redo The Feral Frontier. I hated that map so much. It combines a bunch of my least favourite features of Fire Emblem maps: restricted movement, wide open space with few interesting terrain features, secrets that you can't reasonably hope to find unless you're using a guide, enemies who you're not supposed to kill but who are going to attack you anyway. It's a hot mess which I had no fun at all playing, and I'd like it to be ripped out and replaced with a completely new, better map.

2. Rework the support system. Mechanically, I don't have a problem with it. I like the different affinities and the bonuses they provide, and don't have a problem with being able to have a limited number of support bonuses. What is a pain, though, is the limit to how many support conversations you're able to see. Only being able to get one A support per character per playthrough means that you need to beat the game a minimum of 7 times if you want to see everything. To keep things simple and fairly true to the original, I'd change it so you can view as many support conversations as you want -- provided you qualify for them -- but have to choose only two per character to use in battle. The exact numerical values of the bonuses could be teaked so that going from a max of one A and one B to two As wouldn't be too much of a buff, because if there's one thing this game doesn't need, it's to be made easier.

Radiant Dawn. There are several things so I'll list my top 3:

1. Support. Conversations. Cowards.
  2. Rework Part 2 to make it actually connect to the big plot. We can work in some development on the Senate and Ashera here and give the DB some levels if it's done right.
  3. Give Micaiah access to dark magic and increase her speed dammit! I want her to be a far more viable unit than she is, she is a main lord. If anyone deserves to get incredibly good, it is her!

14 hours ago, Silver-Haired Maiden said:

Give Micaiah access to dark magic and increase her speed dammit! I want her to be a far more viable unit than she is, she is a main lord. If anyone deserves to get incredibly good, it is her!

How would dark magic work for Micaiah? Sounds very out of character for her. Besides, I always thought the game implied dark magic is exclusive to spirit charmers, which Micaiah is not.

Giving Micaiah more speed would be a shame in my opinion. I'd rather see a more creative solution to make her more useful, like increased HP and more special conditions and make staves heal less overall, that would make sacrifice a lot more interesting. (Also maybe increase exp gains from sacrifice.)

6 minutes ago, whase said:

How would dark magic work for Micaiah? Sounds very out of character for her. Besides, I always thought the game implied dark magic is exclusive to spirit charmers, which Micaiah is not.

Giving Micaiah more speed would be a shame in my opinion. I'd rather see a more creative solution to make her more useful, like increased HP and more special conditions and make staves heal less overall, that would make sacrifice a lot more interesting. (Also maybe increase exp gains from sacrifice.)

Her affinity is dark and she comes with Shadow Gift in Awakening. So the idea is out there somewhere. From a practical standpoint it would really help dark magic actually exist in the game. Micaiah never has a single oppertunity in game to have WTA as far as I recall (for what it's worth on a magic unit) as the only enemy dark mages in the game are in one map in part 3.

6 minutes ago, Jotari said:

Her affinity is dark and she comes with Shadow Gift in Awakening. So the idea is out there somewhere. From a practical standpoint it would really help dark magic actually exist in the game. Micaiah never has a single oppertunity in game to have WTA as far as I recall (for what it's worth on a magic unit) as the only enemy dark mages in the game are in one map in part 3.

Awakening also has no light magic, and Micaiah has an automatic advantage over all magic due to her insane resistance. 

Her affinity being dark is interesting though, wonder what the developers were thinking when giving her that...

1 minute ago, whase said:

Awakening also has no light magic, and Micaiah has an automatic advantage over all magic due to her insane resistance. 

Her affinity being dark is interesting though, wonder what the developers were thinking when giving her that...

Weapon triangle is far more about accuracy than damage (which is the only thing Res helps again). She's still fairly safe attacking mages, but it still sort of sucks. Really they should have  just removed the magic triangle from the game completely if they weren't interested in actually making dark magic a fully integrated part of the game.

2 minutes ago, Jotari said:

Weapon triangle is far more about accuracy than damage (which is the only thing Res helps again). She's still fairly safe attacking mages, but it still sort of sucks. Really they should have  just removed the magic triangle from the game completely if they weren't interested in actually making dark magic a fully integrated part of the game.

hmm, I disagree. But it's more a narrative triangle than truly important for gameplay. So yes, if you're all about gameplay, I agree that giving Micaiah dark magic would be nice. But as for narrative, please don't.

As for accuracy, is that actually something Micaiah needs more of? 

3 minutes ago, whase said:

hmm, I disagree. But it's more a narrative triangle than truly important for gameplay. So yes, if you're all about gameplay, I agree that giving Micaiah dark magic would be nice. But as for narrative, please don't.

As for accuracy, is that actually something Micaiah needs more of? 

Not really, but then again I wouldn't commonly be attacking mages with a mage, which is another reason why if the magic triangle is to exist it should get pretty high buffs to justify it..

2 hours ago, whase said:

1. Dark affinity
  2. Lack of dark mages (you get two and only on a second playthrough)
  3. She's the voice of Yune, the goddess of chaos, and Ashera, the goddess of order, logically granting her access to light and dark magic
  4. She ends up becoming the vessel of Yune after having a much more personal connection with Yune. Yune's affinity is, you guessed it, dark
  5. She's Lehran's descendant, someone who can canonically use staves, dark, and light magic

15 hours ago, Silver-Haired Maiden said:

Lack of dark mages (you get two and only on a second playthrough)

A lack of dark mages is not a reason for why it would fit Micaiah.

She's the voice of Yune, the goddess of chaos, and Ashera, the goddess of order, logically granting her access to light and dark magic

In previous games dark magic was tied to knowledge, in Tellius it seems tied to pacts with spirits (not confirmed but my theory). I see no reason why dark magic is tied with chaos.

She ends up becoming the vessel of Yune after having a much more personal connection with Yune. Yune's affinity is, you guessed it, dark

Yune has an affinity? I mean I know she is called a dark god, but she isn't really, and I doubt that's what you mean. Is there some unused data in RD that confirms Yune has a dark affinity?

She's Lehran's descendant, someone who can canonically use staves, dark, and light magic

While thematically that sounds cool, there is no reason to think magic is inherited. Let alone over that many generations. Besides, her sister mains in anima magic.

Dark affinity

Only valid reason I see, but not enough to convince me dark magic fits Micaiah's personality.

4 hours ago, whase said:

A lack of dark mages is not a reason for why it would fit Micaiah.

In previous games dark magic was tied to knowledge, in Tellius it seems tied to pacts with spirits (not confirmed but my theory). I see no reason why dark magic is tied with chaos.

Yune has an affinity? I mean I know she is called a dark god, but she isn't really, and I doubt that's what you mean. Is there some unused data in RD that confirms Yune has a dark affinity?

While thematically that sounds cool, there is no reason to think magic is inherited. Let alone over that many generations. Besides, her sister mains in anima magic.

Only valid reason I see, but not enough to convince me dark magic fits Micaiah's personality.

I think it is.

That's your theory. But if light magic is tied to order (Ashera) then dark magic would logically be tied to chaos (Yune)

Check her on Heroes. She's dark aligned there. I know it's not RD but it's the closest we've got to her being playable and no one is arguing Ashera's heaven (light) alignment. Yune, as her opposite, would be dark aligned.

Her sister also isn't the apostle. And there's nothing saying it isn't either. Also Micaiah is the only person with such a close connection to Ashera and Yune since Lehran and already has two of the 3 things he's got SS rank in. Just add dark magic.

Nothing's saying it has to fit her personality. It sure as hell doesn't fit Pelleas's personality, he's far too meek and timid for the majority of dark mages and yet he uses it and thunder magic. Also for some reason you seem to be falling into the pitfall of dark = evil and light = good and that's obviously not the case in RD. I point you to Ashera.

Also in terms of gameplay it would finally give her weapon triangle advantage against the anima mages. Light magic gets disadvantage to anima magic in the game so her having dark magic would make her more adept at fighting off those other mages.

14 minutes ago, Silver-Haired Maiden said:

It sure as hell doesn't fit Pelleas's personality, he's far too meek and timid for the majority of dark mages and yet he uses it and thunder magic. Also for some reason you seem to be falling into the pitfall of dark = evil and light = good and that's obviously not the case in RD.

I don't think of dark as evil and light as good. Overall in the series it seems dark mages are out for gaining power for the sake of knowledge, while light magic is on the side of protecting your allies.

Looking at a list of dark magic users vs Light magic users of previous games:

Dark: Raigh, Sophia, Niime, Canas, Knoll (Sophia is an obvious outlier here though)
Light: Yodel, Lucius, Artur, Rhys
Both: Athos, Lehran

Personally, when it comes to meekness and timidity, Pelleas isn't too far off from the other dark mages. He did after all make a pact with a spirit at age 13 (IIRC). Micaiah on the other hand feels far more at home with the light mages if you ask me.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/20/2020 at 11:21 PM, Jotari said:

In my only somewhat successful attempt to make a hack that combined the two path of Sacred Stones into one playthrough, I added and aged Kliff as a prepromoted Druid available on Ephraim's route. If you don't want the player to have access to summoner a prepremoted Druid would be a natural way of doing it while still providing a unit of some use. Would just worry that they'd then overshadow Knoll when he's eventually recruited. Course Knoll could do with being buffed overall anyway.

Interesting solution, to be sure. "Earlygame pre-promoted magic-user" is a sorely underused archetype for the series - I can only think of Wendell fitting it. Jakob and Felicia kinda too, although they use knives rather than tomes. Still, having an early unit with mediocre stats and limited weaponry, but combined offense and healing utility, could be really cool. Knoll would still have use, but by going Summoner.

On 7/21/2020 at 12:24 PM, lenticular said:

. Completely redo The Feral Frontier. I hated that map so much. It combines a bunch of my least favourite features of Fire Emblem maps: restricted movement, wide open space with few interesting terrain features, secrets that you can't reasonably hope to find unless you're using a guide, enemies who you're not supposed to kill but who are going to attack you anyway. It's a hot mess which I had no fun at all playing, and I'd like it to be ripped out and replaced with a completely new, better map.

Ah that's a shame, I really like that one! The game incentivizes you to be careful with positioning and timing, since you want to avoid fighting enemies for maximum BEXP. Admittedly, they could stand to make the hidden items more obvious (maybe glowing tiles, like Awakening did?). And Stefan could stand to be easier to reach.

19 minutes ago, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

Ah that's a shame, I really like that one! The game incentivizes you to be careful with positioning and timing, since you want to avoid fighting enemies for maximum BEXP. Admittedly, they could stand to make the hidden items more obvious (maybe glowing tiles, like Awakening did?). And Stefan could stand to be easier to reach.

I don't completely hate the idea of it, but I think that Feral Frontier is basically the same idea as Prisoner Release a few chapters earlier, except not as interesting or well implemented. I don't love Prisoner Release either, but I respect it a lot more. I think that what I hate about Feral Frontier is how the map itself isn't designed for interesting movement and positioning. It's desert, so most units have restricted movement, and then on top of that, it's also a very open map with very few terrain features. Overall, it feels like you don't have very many options to try to avoid the enemies. Compare that with Prisoner Release where you have full movement -- especially on your fast-moving cavalry units -- and the map itself has corners, different routes to the end, rooms you can hide in, etc. For me at least, trying to avoid combat in Prisoner Release is interesting in a way that it really isn't in Feral Frontier. It also helps a lot that the other objectives are readily apparent and not RNG-based. It's possible to form a strategy around opening a door or talking to a prisoner on a specific turn and then being able to quickly move on. The only way to be able to make that sort of plan for Feral Frontier is if you exclusively use your thieves to pick up the items. Given that it's a big map and that you only have two thieves (and in a lot of cases, one of them will still be level 1), that sounds like it would be long and tedious.

18 hours ago, lenticular said:

I don't completely hate the idea of it, but I think that Feral Frontier is basically the same idea as Prisoner Release a few chapters earlier, except not as interesting or well implemented. I don't love Prisoner Release either, but I respect it a lot more. I think that what I hate about Feral Frontier is how the map itself isn't designed for interesting movement and positioning. It's desert, so most units have restricted movement, and then on top of that, it's also a very open map with very few terrain features. Overall, it feels like you don't have very many options to try to avoid the enemies. Compare that with Prisoner Release where you have full movement -- especially on your fast-moving cavalry units -- and the map itself has corners, different routes to the end, rooms you can hide in, etc. For me at least, trying to avoid combat in Prisoner Release is interesting in a way that it really isn't in Feral Frontier. It also helps a lot that the other objectives are readily apparent and not RNG-based. It's possible to form a strategy around opening a door or talking to a prisoner on a specific turn and then being able to quickly move on. The only way to be able to make that sort of plan for Feral Frontier is if you exclusively use your thieves to pick up the items. Given that it's a big map and that you only have two thieves (and in a lot of cases, one of them will still be level 1), that sounds like it would be long and tedious.

I would say that the "restricted movement" is actually your friend in that map. You're trying to stay out of the range of enemy laguz, and being in the desert makes that feasible. The exceptions are the bird laguz, those are hard to avoid. Also, being desert discourages using cavalry, who are strong through most of the rest of the game (including Prisoner Release), so I like that temporary nerf. I do agree, though, that terrain variation would be nice. Hm... what if future desert maps featured cactus tiles, that boosted your avoid and defense, but lowered your HP at the start of each turn? At the very least, it could be helpful for remembering where the hidden items are (like the bones in FE7).

45 minutes ago, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

I would say that the "restricted movement" is actually your friend in that map. You're trying to stay out of the range of enemy laguz, and being in the desert makes that feasible. The exceptions are the bird laguz, those are hard to avoid. Also, being desert discourages using cavalry, who are strong through most of the rest of the game (including Prisoner Release), so I like that temporary nerf. I do agree, though, that terrain variation would be nice. Hm... what if future desert maps featured cactus tiles, that boosted your avoid and defense, but lowered your HP at the start of each turn? At the very least, it could be helpful for remembering where the hidden items are (like the bones in FE7).

I find the reduced movement hurts me more than it helps me. There are enough bird laguz (I think 5 of them?) to be a real problem. Certainly more of them than I have units with good desert movement (Jill, Marcia and Volke. And maybe Sothe if you've put enough bonus xp into him to make him not be a complete liability who needs accompanying everywhere to keep alive). Maybe I'd like the level more if it only had cats and tigers? That way it would feel possible to really use the desert terrain to my advantage.

As for terrain, I don't care what it so long as it's something. Could be cactuses, dunes, ruins, roads, rocks, bones, oases, anything. If there's something other than just a big open space, I'm happy.