Which would be better?

James Marshall

I've been thinking about something and want a opinion. Can you help?

Would A Fighter recruited in The 1sy be better off with  +2 Spd or +10% to The Growth Rate he/she has in Spd?

I asked 3 fellow Fire Emblem Fans that I know what their opinion on the matter is and their responses are as follows

1 said he/she would be better off with +2 base Spd, 1 said he/she would be better off with +10% to The Growth Rate he/she has in Spd and The 3rd said that for the first half of the game he/she would benefit more from +2 base Spd and that during the second  half of the game he/she would benefit more from +10% to The Growth Rate he/she has in Spd

So what do you think?

I'd say it also depends on the game.  Some games start out harder because of more limited resources and untrained units, but others get harder because of how difficulty ramps up.  As a general rule of thumb though, good bases are better than good growths.  Assuming said Fighter is level 1, that 10% extra growth will only contribute an extra 3.9 speed on average, and that's only if you level that fighter up to their maximum level.  3.9 (or 4 we'll say, for the sake of the argument) is obviously more than 2, but in context I think it's not as good.  Having 2 extra speed right out the gate is better than eventually having 4 extra speed, by the end of the game.

3 minutes ago, CWGameplay said:

I'd say it also depends on the game.  Some games start out harder because of more limited resources and untrained units, but others get harder because of how difficulty ramps up.  As a general rule of thumb though, good bases are better than good growths.  Assuming said Fighter is level 1, that 10% extra growth will only contribute an extra 3.9 speed on average, and that's only if you level that fighter up to their maximum level.  3.9 (or 4 we'll say, for the sake of the argument) is obviously more than 2, but in context I think it's not as good.  Having 2 extra speed right out the gate is better than eventually having 4 extra speed, by the end of the game.

Basically this.  GBAFE Fighters are usually reviled for having poor Spd, so this one will probably want to have better Spd immediately to be a little more competitive with other units.

I would go for speed. High speed can deny both Str and Mag attacks of the enemies. So high spd can save your unit from both both Def and Res growths. Cause that unit dodges like ninja, few can hit him/her.

I'd say Base>Growth for a fighter, but it depends on the game.

Dorcas is better than Bartre in FE7, because although Bartre has twice the growth in speed as Dorcas, (40%) Dorcas has twice the base (6); Even Bartre is blessed, it will still take at least three levels to catch up to Dorcas, who could be doubling the slowest enemies during that time.