Could Hubert actually be a believer of the goddess? (spoiler possible)

On my recent playthrough, I noticed that Hubert carries a "goddess icon" during his final battle against anti-Empire force in Silver Snow/Verdant Wind

https://fireemblem.fandom.com/wiki/Hubert#The_Enbarr_Infiltration

I was wondering if this is just a ironic joke, or actually implying Hubert is secretly a believer of Sothis but torn between his oath to serve Edelgard?

If the latter, it gives more reason(besides loath of TWISTD) why Hubert is willing to give up Imperial Secrets upon Edelgard's defeat. Maybe he also has a role in keeping Rhea alive as prisoner like by convincing Edelgard that Rhea is still useful to them.

I admit that I haven't dig enough about Hubert's background, maybe someone here could enlighten me?

Edited by Timlugia

Hubert and Byleth's A support discusses his feelings on the goddess:

Hubert: Nice place, isn't it, Professor? Standing here, you can almost feel the goddess's absence. Discounting what dwells within you, of course. Do you think some punishment would rain down from the sky if this monastery were to be destroyed? Of course not. Even if the so-called Immaculate One came back here for revenge... That would only be the result of this war, not the work of a deity.
Byleth: Do you hate the goddess?
Hubert: If it is between love and hate, then I would choose the latter. The goddess failed to properly govern this world. That is why it is necessary for Lady Edelgard to become the supreme leader of Fódlan. Those with power must use it wisely. Is that not a teaching of the Church of Seiros? It's absurd to preach to others what you cannot practice yourself.

It seems that he, like some other characters, believes the goddess exists to some extent but doesn't think she should be worshiped.

I mean, considering he worships Edelgard, having a Goddess Icon makes sense. 😛

I doubt he needed to convince Edelgard to keep Rhea around due to his personal beliefs, considering Edelgard either thinks she's more valuable alive or just couldn't kill her (An action that seems really strange actually outside of CF). And yeah, that support seems to suggest at least with Sothis his dislike is apparent.

Edited by Dayni

Hubert is actually far more militant in his opposition to the goddess than Edelgard. Edelgard actually doesn't dislike choir practice while Hubert does, and states that she is at war with the church, not the faith. I get the impression Hubert would probably want to go further than that.

I don't know why he would carry a goddess icon. But I can guarantee one thing. He is not a secret believer torn between his belief and his loyalty to Edelgard, as his disdain for the church is actually larger than that of his Emperor. He wouldn't feel pressured into taking such an extreme stance as Edelgard is actually somewhat moderate in comparison.

5 hours ago, Timlugia said:

Could be, but it also seems strange to carry an icon if he states to hate the goddess.

It's just irony. I don't really think it's supposed to be a deep thing.

They probably just wanted to give him a drop item, and the Goddess Icon is kinda ironic and hilarious. I think it's pretty clear from his supports where he stands, so not really a point looking into something so surface level.

Speaking of irony, that's one of Hubert's listed interests. Maybe the other ironic gameplay features he has like Paragon as an enemy and being the only unit to start out weaponless stem from someone wanting to express irony that way. I imagine a line similar to "you want to reach the archbishop, why not have the goddess instead?," but the irony is better left unsaid and implied.

If Hubert were more of an art appreciator, I would think he held the icon as an art piece he liked. Considering the major ties between the Adestrian Empire and the Church, maybe he had the icon as a memento from a family member.

When asked about the subject Hubert says his view towards the goddess is closer to hate then love. So while Hubert may believe in the goddess he probably doesn't exactly like her. 

And if Hubert ever finds out that the goddess is a bratty 12 year old he might find himself very unimpressed.