About to start my first genealogy playthrough. Anything I should know?

Faellin

Been meaning to play this game for awhile now, and am finally getting around to it. And will most likely play thracia afterwards.

So anything big I should know before I start? I know a few things off hand, the 2nd generation system, skills, and a few other minor things. But nothing to in depth. So any non spoiler advice would be appreciated.

that's a very good video to learn the basics.

eventually, if you'll decide to start planning on skills inheritance during/after your first playthrough, here's some more stuff that you can check:

Β 

the only thing i feel you should know, just like for every other game, is that you should have fun, anything else beyond that is irrelevant

if you don't, there's no need to force yourself to finish it

as for the game itself, it's pretty easy and you can save at the beginning of every turn, just enjoy building your characters the wayΒ you want and you probably won't regret it; also, if you make some mistakes and don't play "optimally", that's perfectly fineΒ 

Edited by Yexin

FE4 is my favorite game and I really encourage going into it as blind as possible for the best experience.Β  I'm actually in the midst of writing an FE4 guide, which is currently at about 70 pages in length, so if you have any specific questions, I'd (or anyone else on this forum I'm sure) would be happy to answer them.Β  I'll try to give some basic advice without going too into detail, though.Β  Mounted units are really good because of large map size.Β  You can and probably should use every unit, since you can deploy as many as you'd like.Β  There is no trading, only selling and rebuying, so make sure the right units are getting item drops.Β  Those are just the basics, but most of all have fun.Β  FE4 is an extremely fun game, and it's strange mechanics may make it seem daunting, but it's not too bad when you get the hang of things.Β  I hope you enjoy FE4!

-Expect to have the cavalry see a lot of action.Β 

-It might be in your best interest to consult a guide, because this game has a LOT of stuff that's easy to miss... including one of the best weapons in the game.Β 

You can save at the beginning of the turn.