What is your favorite book?

JubileePhoenix

3 minutes ago, Wraith said:

Not bad, not bad at all. Have you ever read Joseph Conrad’s Nostromo?

Sadly, no.  And you'd think I'd have the time, too!

11 minutes ago, eclipse said:

Sadly, no.  And you'd think I'd have the time, too!

I’d recommend:

The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas

Moby Dick or The Whale by Herman Melville 

War and Peace by Leo Tolstoy 

The Picture of Dorian Grey by Oscar Wilde

We by Yevgeny Zamyatin 

Edited by Wraith

1 minute ago, Wraith said:

I’d recommend:

The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas

Moby Dick or The Whale by Herman Melville 

War and Peace by Leo Tolstoy 

The Picture of Dorian Grey by Oscar Wilde

We by Yevgeny Zamyatin 

Read The Count of Monte Cristo, and it didn't jive with me.  I know War and Peace is really long, so I'm definitely not going to have time for that.  Dorian Grey sounds interesting, so I might check that out later.  Thanks!

1 minute ago, eclipse said:

Read The Count of Monte Cristo, and it didn't jive with me.  I know War and Peace is really long, so I'm definitely not going to have time for that.  Dorian Grey sounds interesting, so I might check that out later.  Thanks!

Dorian Grey is probably one of the best gothic novels I’ve ever read so it comes highly recommended.

21 hours ago, eclipse said:

I prefer Lord of the Flies over Heart of Darkness.  Though if I had a choice of anything, it would be The Art of War.

The Art of War is your favorite book?! Eclipse you planing something?

25 minutes ago, JubileePhoenix said:

The Art of War is your favorite book?! Eclipse you planing something?

My dad liked it, and said I would, too.  He's the one you have to worry about.

Starship Troopers by Robert Heinlein is one of my favorites. I read it during the summer before my senior year, and it's stuck with me since.  Other than that, another favorite would be To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee. 

• 1 month later...

Wings of Fire has to be my favorite book series of all time so far.

Memorable characters and storylines. I absolutely loved Darkstalker and Dragonslayer.

Wings of Fire is the book series that's super good but has a horrible fanbase. Can't explain how many unpopular Wings of Fire opinions I have.. Lol.

1 hour ago, Adrestian_Emperor said:

Wings of Fire has to be my favorite book series of all time so far.

Memorable characters and storylines. I absolutely loved Darkstalker and Dragonslayer.

Wings of Fire is the book series that's super good but has a horrible fanbase. Can't explain how many unpopular Wings of Fire opinions I have.. Lol.

You have good taste.

Just out of curiosity, what's wrong with the fanbase?

4 hours ago, Benice said:

You have good taste.

Just out of curiosity, what's wrong with the fanbase?

just based off of the part of the fanbase i'm in, i see a lot of people usually being pretty salty over characters people like/dislike, opinion change forcing, etc

6 minutes ago, Adrestian_Emperor said:

just based off of the part of the fanbase i'm in, i see a lot of people usually being pretty salty over characters people like/dislike, opinion change forcing, etc

Oof. That's too bad, actually. It sucks when fanbases ruin things...

Then again, I can see violent debates about Qibli vs. Winter causing bigtime salt.

• 3 weeks later...

All The Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr - I’m a big fan of historical fiction especially those about WW1&2 and the Tudors, and this one is very well written. I like the use of dual-protagonists and how they are connected to one another. 

My Family And Other Animals by Gerald Durrell - I liked this one alot as a kid due to the detailed descriptions of the island, and the flora and fauna that live there. I would often wish that I could visit it. 

The Harry Potter series, especially the 3rd and 4th books. - I read this series on a long car trip when my family was moving interstate and it really helped to ease my boredom. 

Edited by Silver Star

• 4 weeks later...

I have a lot of books I like, and it is kind of hard to pick one favorite out of the group. I will just list them chronologically as I encountered them. I mostly like nonfiction and self improvement books.

Science Goes to War
This is about science's contribution to war throughout history.

Harry Potter
I still like the series a lot, but I would not say it ranks as one of my favorite books/seres anymore, but it is definitely my favorite fiction and one of my favorite series when I was younger, so I thought it deserves a mention.

Science and history textbooks
Yes, I read these for fun when I was in school.

Guns, Germs, and Steel
Besides history and science textbooks, this is the ONLY mandatory-reading non-textbook book that I actually enjoyed reading. I had to read this for AP history. I did not enjoy any literature books I had to read for English class. Handmaid's Tale, To Kill a Mockingbird, etc. just does not interest me.

The Prince
For those who are interested in news, politics, international affairs, current events, etc. this is a great book to help make sense of the actions of states and governments.

The Art of War, translation by Lionel Giles
The original text itself reads like a manual/dictionary (well, it is actually a manual though) and is rather bland, but that in itself is not a bad thing since it is also very concise. However, the commentaries that goes with it are great as it shows how each section was applied.

"The Rules of Management", "The Rules of Life", "The Rules of Wealth", etc. by Richard Templar
This is a series of self improvement books.

"The 48 Laws of Power", "The Art of Seduction", "The 33 Strategies of War", etc. by Robert Greene
This series is basically a modern day version of the Art of War.

How to Win Friends and Influence People
I am an introvert and I feel a bit awkward around strangers, so reading this book helped quite a bit.

Brick by Brick
As a business major and a fan of LEGO, reading this book felt pretty amazing back then to connect what I learned in the classroom to something I like in the real world.

The Skeptic's Annotated Bible
It is a fun read whenever you are bored.

I don't have a lot of time to read books for leisure since I'm in college, but my favorite books will always be The Lord of the Rings. It's a tale of friendship, courage, duty, sacrifice, and redemption that resonates with me in a way very few things can. Return of the King moves me to tears every time.

• 3 weeks later...

The Giver, by Lois Lowry.

I originally read it in my elementary school years, and missed a lot of stuff. Then middle school, and I understood more. And so on. It's a book wherein the tone and feel of all that happens differs with age and experience - and, particularly, with a second read-through. It's young adult fiction that you're never too old to read for the first, second, or twelfth time.

On 8/26/2020 at 8:45 AM, TheGoodHoms said:

I don't have a lot of time to read books for leisure since I'm in college, but my favorite books will always be The Lord of the Rings. It's a tale of friendship, courage, duty, sacrifice, and redemption that resonates with me in a way very few things can. Return of the King moves me to tears every time.

I've only read Lord of the Rings (plus The Hobbit) fully through once, but it's a genuine classic. Tolkien is a genius at worldbuilding, and basically all subsequent Western fantasy is indebted to him.

On 8/25/2020 at 10:58 PM, XRay said:

Guns, Germs, and Steel
Besides history and science textbooks, this is the ONLY mandatory-reading non-textbook book that I actually enjoyed reading. I had to read this for AP history. I did not enjoy any literature books I had to read for English class. Handmaid's Tale, To Kill a Mockingbird, etc. just does not interest me.

I should give this a read at some point. Jared Diamond gets a lot of flack from the Geographic academic community, but I should at least read through his argument to give it a fair assessment, right?

1 hour ago, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

I should give this a read at some point. Jared Diamond gets a lot of flack from the Geographic academic community, but I should at least read through his argument to give it a fair assessment, right?

Yeah. Personally, I do not see why he gets so much flak, although I am not a history/sociology/etc. major, so maybe I am missing something. At least from what I remember reading, he is presenting an argument that geography is one factor that explains the differences in progress between various nations and peoples. From the criticisms that I Googled, it seems like they are focusing too much that his argument lends too much credibility to racism or that they seem to be strawmanning him that he is arguing that geography is the only factor. Those are the two most extreme criticisms I have found.

I think one of the more valid criticisms is that Diamond focuses A LOT on geography and it does not really talk about much else. I agree the focus is extremely narrow and that singular focus on geography does not give enough credit to more relevant factors. He is looking at human history through the lens of geography though, so I am not too concerned about the narrow focus.

If you are short on time, just read the first few chapters of the book. I think the bulk of his arguments are in the beginning, and the rest of the book are just examples that support his arguments.

Edited by XRay