Byleth End Game Class Build

On 5/26/2020 at 9:37 AM, Barren said:

Byleth - Enlightened One

Sword Prowess Level 5, Faith Level 5, White Magic Avoid +20, Duelist's Blow, Sacred Power

Battalion: Jeralt's Mercenaries

My reasoning for this build was to maximize byleth's avoid when on player phase should I decide to either nosferatu tank or at least deal a good chunk of damage with aura and expecting a counter attack. Sacred Power is just there for minimizing damage for adjacent allies. 

It sounds like the ship has sailed on Enlightened One, but if you still want to use it, I would suggest:

Axing Duelist's Blow, it's not especially good. You can attack most non-Mage enemies with spells or the Sword of the Creator, without fearing a counter. Instead, you could get more enemy-phase evasion via Speed +2 or Weight -3. Or more player-phase damage via Fiendish/Darting/Darting Blow. Or more general damage via Strength/Magic +2. You could throw in Axebreaker on maps with a bunch of Axe enemies. It's probably best to plan before each map whether you'll want to mainly run Swords or Magic, and assign skills accordingly. 

Re: Battalions, there are a lot stronger than Jeralt's Mercenaries after the early-game. If you're doing hybrid offense, go for a battalion that boosts both offensive sides, like Gloucester Knights or Edmund Troops. There are also a bunch that give more strength, and more magic, with offensive gambits, at C-Authority and above.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I initially was thinking to have a decent dodge tank that can heal as well as fight physically because having recover can be a big deal and even if I run out of nosferatu, just equipping a heal tome (at least according to Chaz when he discussed his "pitfall" build") can still add evasion. Speed +2 sounds a lot more attainable then weight -3 though of course if I go weight -3 and death blow then that means I can master brigand while passing the armored kngith exam and get a nice defense boost.

Jeralt's Mercernaries were the only ones I thought of off the top of my head and I couldn't think of a good one. Edmund troops I just remembered gives you Hit +40 when maxed out and has good range too. 

My guess is that in gerenal the EO class would have a hard time contributing in maddening because while it can do magic and physical it doesn't excel particularly in either one because it's not fast enough. Still, it's good to get this kind of feedback so I can adjust my plans.

10 hours ago, Barren said:

I initially was thinking to have a decent dodge tank that can heal as well as fight physically because having recover can be a big deal and even if I run out of nosferatu, just equipping a heal tome (at least according to Chaz when he discussed his "pitfall" build") can still add evasion. Speed +2 sounds a lot more attainable then weight -3 though of course if I go weight -3 and death blow then that means I can master brigand while passing the armored kngith exam and get a nice defense boost.

Jeralt's Mercernaries were the only ones I thought of off the top of my head and I couldn't think of a good one. Edmund troops I just remembered gives you Hit +40 when maxed out and has good range too. 

My guess is that in gerenal the EO class would have a hard time contributing in maddening because while it can do magic and physical it doesn't excel particularly in either one because it's not fast enough. Still, it's good to get this kind of feedback so I can adjust my plans.

I'm not sure it's worth it, though; either you're doing nothing in return, or you're doing almost nothing.

I have another question: Is Battalion Vantage good on any build? Someone might have already answered it but I was reading up about battalion vantage and it works when a battalion's endurance is around 1/3 of it's health. I know also it acts like regular vantage but it's a safer condition to be going for. I know someone else said that battalion desperation isn't that good so I might probably choose to avoid that.

What I am thinking in that case is I could go Assassin with Sword and Bow Prowess at level 5, Close Counter in case I happen to be wielding a bow, Death Blow so I can deal really good damage with something like Windsweep and Curved Shot, and maybe battalion vantage if it works the way it should or maybe just go for sword/bow crit + 10 just to clean up enemies. Plus Assassin is easier to build towards since I only really need to invest a little into axes to get brigand and keep focusing on sword and bow. Not sure if having healing focus as a combat art is worth it or am I better off using something like swap or reposition.

Falcon Knight seems like a sure bet also so something similar using a bow as an option, maybe Killer Bow if I want that extra crit chance in addition to the hit + 30 I get from curved shot. Alert Stance and Darting Blow is also obvious as well. And of course similar abilities/combat arts as mentioned above. If I am going Falcon Knight maybe I could go for Tempest Lance/Knightkneeler in case I need to attack up close against someone with swordbreaker pending on the matchup.

I know that Warmaster/Grappler as Male Byleth is another strong option, it's just a matter of if I want 20 crit or attack three times with fierce iron fist

Those are the three class options for Byleth that I am strongly considering to use in Maddening after much pondering

Edited by Barren

1 hour ago, Barren said:

I have another question: Is Battalion Vantage good on any build? 

What I am thinking in that case is I could go Assassin with Sword and Bow Prowess at level 5, Close Counter in case I happen to be wielding a bow, Death Blow so I can deal really good damage with something like Windsweep and Curved Shot, and maybe battalion vantage if it works the way it should or maybe just go for sword/bow crit + 10 just to clean up enemies. Plus Assassin is easier to build towards since I only really need to invest a little into axes to get brigand and keep focusing on sword and bow. Not sure if having healing focus as a combat art is worth it or am I better off using something like swap or reposition.

I know that Warmaster/Grappler as Male Byleth is another strong option, it's just a matter of if I want 20 crit or attack three times with fierce iron fist

Vantage and it's Battalion counterpart only matter if you can one shot the enemy you're attacking. Without skills such as Wrath or Defiant Crit it's not really worth equipping, espically as Assassins don't see much Enemy Phase Combat due to Sealth.

You should drop Close Counter if you don't mind applying the Gambit Retribution on them, since that makes able to counter attack at 1 Range without it.

Firece Iron Fist grants +10 Crit and +1 attack. So the difference between Warmaster and Grappler is +3 Strength and +10 Crit versus guaranteed Triple hits and the ability to walk through rough terrain like without forest without penalty.

Edited by LoneRecon400

Good point about Retribution actually. That would mean that I can pick a different ability in it's stead. Wrath or Defiant Crit seems to be best when paired with Battalion Vantage and/or regular vantage anyways. I was thinking on being able to combine it with a killer weapon or even wo dao so I can score high crits. But yea good to note, thanks

51 minutes ago, LoneRecon400 said:

Firece Iron Fist grants +10 Crit and +1 attack. So the difference between Warmaster and Grappler is +3 Strength and +10 Crit versus guaranteed Triple hits and the ability to walk through rough terrain like without forest without penalty.

Don't forget Quick Riposte - of course, once you get it it becomes a question of whether you want your unit to be more player-phase oriented (Grappler) or enemy-phase oriented (WM, the crit+20 boost is passive)

Does Quick Riposte have synergy with Battalion Vantage? That sounds super broken if it does, but I have to agree otherwise that Vantage only matters if/when your counter can one shot an enemy.

Quick Riposte I've been tempted to bring to a Male Byleth Brawling build because of how much it makes player phase so good. As far as battalion vantage + quick riposte being a thing, I have not tested it out yet but I am now curious to find out.

I'm planning on doing that combo for Dimitri on my eventual maddening run. It is too bad that that the battalion variations have such niches. At least Dimitri is the best candidate for it. And to an extent anyone else that has battalion wrath along with regular vantage like Bernie, Petra and even Dedue.

I'm also a bit disappointed that battalion desperation isn't really worth using either as much as regular desperation is. I mean I guess you can make it work but then how useful is it really?

4 hours ago, Barren said:

I'm planning on doing that combo for Dimitri on my eventual maddening run. It is too bad that that the battalion variations have such niches. At least Dimitri is the best candidate for it. And to an extent anyone else that has battalion wrath along with regular vantage like Bernie, Petra and even Dedue.

I'm also a bit disappointed that battalion desperation isn't really worth using either as much as regular desperation is. I mean I guess you can make it work but then how useful is it really?

I actually found Battalion Desperation quite useful on Wyvern Rider Claude, in Cindered Shadows. He could two-shot low-defense enemies with just an Iron Axe, without having to worry about being countered. I'd say it's useful on fairly-fast melee-weapon units, whom you don't expect to take much damage on enemy phase.

5 hours ago, Barren said:

Realistically, Byleth ain't doubling much in the first place(tbh nobody really does). Regular desperation could work well with defiant crit, att/mag. But that's really stretching it. tbh kinda disappointed in the skill combo in 3H. Can't be creative as awakening/fate.

Edited by leesangstar10

Would battalion desperation combo well with darting blow? Or is that simply redundant?

I know that regular vantage combines with battalion wrath because they are both enemy phase skills and a number of characters can do that. Dimitri included and he also gets battalion vantage which obviously makes him the best enemy phase counter unit in the game. Give him counterattack and there you go