Why is Anime so Prolific?

Sidereal Wraith

4 hours ago, twilitfalchion said:

I hate to sound harsh, but do you have to criticize someone for having an opinion? If he prefers one thing to another, then who are you to attack him for feeling a certain way? If he likes certain stories better than anime, so what? That has no bearing on you or your preferences. You like anime. More power to you. You do you and let Wraith be Wraith.

He didn't trash the creators or the works. He just said that he thinks the works he likes have better storytelling than modern anime. That's all.

I’m not criticizing the opinion itself just the phrasing of that opinion. Like I said you shouldn’t have to throw something else under the bus to praise something. He keeps saying these works are better than anything anime has to offer and it’s fine to have an opinion like that but does he really gotta phrase it that way. It just sounds condescending when you put it like that and that’s what bothers. I’m not gonna go around and say Anime is the highest and most quality form of animated story telling in general and is better than western animation in every way. No, I’m not because even if that is my opinion that just sounds highly condescending and arrogant to me. I’m also not gonna generalize like that to make a point. You shouldn’t have to say something else is worse to praise something else. I just find that way of looking at criticism counter intuitive.

4 minutes ago, twilitfalchion said:

Actually, he never said that. He said and I quote: "The funny thing about modern isekai anime is many of the tropes they use (wish fulfillment or cute girls) were either invented or popularized by these series. What is interesting in my opinion at least is that all three series used these tropes to much greater effect compared to modern anime despite being several decades old." That and what you said are not the same thing. In fact, right after that he praised anime by mentioning "one of anime/manga’s overall great strengths, long term story telling." And he also concluded that by reiterating that "this is just my own personal opinion."

He also said "in my opinion I felt that these three series use the tropes in a much better manner when compared to modern fantasy anime" and that he "enjoy the fantasy of the best of the pulp fiction era more so then the best of the fantasy found in modern anime." But neither of those statements are saying that they're flat out better than anything anime has to offer. He was just voicing a preference. There is no need to take it so personally and become so defensive about it.

I'm not trying to be a jerk, but it would be nice that when someone expresses an opinion, that you don't criticize it and instead comment on something positive about it.

I have no idea why my text showed up like that, but I'm sure it's still readable.

Look I feel like you misunderstand what I’m saying here. even if it is an opinion why do you have to phrase it in a way to make anime look bad. Why does he have to put anime down just to make something else look good. That’s all I’m trying to say. You can’t hide behind the opinion card for everything. I never once said it’s wrong to have opinion. I’m criticizing the phrasing of said opinion cause I feel it was a condescending way to word it even if no condensation was intended.

5 minutes ago, Ottservia said:

Look I feel like you misunderstand what I’m saying here. even if it is an opinion why do you have to phrase it in a way to make anime look bad. Why does he have to put anime down just to make something else look good. That’s all I’m trying to say. You can’t hide behind the opinion card for everything. I never once said it’s wrong to have opinion. I’m criticizing the phrasing of said opinion cause I feel it was a condescending way to word it even if no condensation was intended.

That's fine. I understand. It just felt as though you were criticizing him for simply expressing an opinion you disagreed with. If that was not your intent, then I apologize for saying anything. I get a bit overzealous when I feel like other people's opinions are being criticized or repressed, even if they're actually not. Again, sorry about that.

Edited by twilitfalchion

@Wraith: if you wanted good anime examples and not cookie-cutter stuff, you need to look beyond the popular ones and check stuff like Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood, Ghost in the Shell, and Ergo Proxy, to name a few. Forget Sword Art Online when the .hack series is out there, and even Log Horizon.

4 hours ago, Karimlan said:

@Wraith: if you wanted good anime examples and not cookie-cutter stuff, you need to look beyond the popular ones and check stuff like Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood, Ghost in the Shell, and Ergo Proxy, to name a few. Forget Sword Art Online when the .hack series is out there, and even Log Horizon.

I’ve seen the original Full Metal Alchemist and the first .hack season. I’ve heard of Log Horizon and Ghost in the Shell, but not Ergo Proxy.

• 1 month later...
On 6/27/2020 at 10:34 PM, Karimlan said:

I thought Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood was one of the "popular anime"; at the very least, I've seen people who discuss media on YouTube reference it all the time. 

On 6/28/2020 at 2:39 AM, Wraith said:

I’ve seen the original Full Metal Alchemist

Watch Brotherhood. The original FMA caught up to the manga too soon and had to write its own 2nd half. Brotherhood is a much more 1:1 adaptation of the manga, and it is far better than the original FMA. I say this as someone who doesn't even watch a lot of anime; FMA Brotherhood is absolutely fantastic. 

For some more really good anime, there's also season 1 of One-Punch Man, and Violet Evergarden