Rate Star Wars entertainment

SSbardock84

From movies, comics, books, and tv series rate all that you've watched or read out of 10. Or anything else I might've left out.

Prequel Trilogy
Star Wars: Episode I – The Phantom Menace- 8.5/10
Star Wars: Episode II – Attack of the Clones- 9.4/10
Star Wars: Episode III – Revenge of the Sith- 9.5/10
Original Trilogy
Star Wars: Episode IV – A New Hope- 8.5/10
Star Wars: Episode V – The Empire Strikes Back- 9/10
Star Wars: Episode VI – Return of the Jedi- 8.25/10
Sequel Trilogy
Star Wars: The Force Awakens- 3/10
Star Wars: The Last Jedi- 4/10
Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker- 4/10
Story Movies
Rogue One- 2/10
Solo- 6/10
TV Series
Star Wars: Clone Wars- 7/10
Star Wars: The Clone Wars- 8/10
Star Wars Rebels- 7/10
The Mandalorian- 9/10
Books
Star Wars: Dark Disciple- 9.25/10
Comics
Star Wars: Republic- 9/10
Star Wars: Legacy- 9/10
Star Wars - Darth Maul- 8/10
Star Wars - Obi-Wan and Anakin- 7/10
Star Wars - Darth Maul: The Son of Dathomir- 9/10
Star Wars - Kanan- 7/10
Star Wars - Darth Vader: Dark Lord of the Sith- 7.5/10

I was gonna put video games, but meh.

1: 4/10

2: 3/10

3: 10/10

4: 9/10

5: 7/10

6: 6/10

7: 4/10

8: 3/10

9: 1/10

Rogue 1: 7/10

Solo: 8/10

Clone Wars: 10/10

Rebels: 6/10

Mandalorian: 9/10

And I'll throw in video games too since they're worth mentioning. 

Fallen Order: 8/10

Battlefront 2: 10/10

Lego Star Wars: 10/10

A New Hope: 9/10
Empire Strikes Back: 8/10
Return of the Jedi: 7/10

Phantom Menace: 3/10
Attack of the Clones: 4/10
Revenge of the Sith: 7/10

The Force Awakens: 7/10
The Last Jedi: 9/10

Rogue One: 4/10

I kinda wanna watch Rise of Skywalker one day, but basically everyone I know whose opinions on the movies lines up with mine seems to hate it, so I'm not that optimistic.

I see we have a prequel fan here to start.

Now, I'm going to be honest and as someone who was growing up during the prequels, I have not had an epiphany that they're actually amazing. Hell, I would argue they have the opposite problem of being overplanned by one person and having no conflicting voices in planning whereas the sequels had no intermovie planning and the movies straight up contradicting each other. Also not seen Rouge one (I do want to see it and Mandalorian though.) and my experience with the non-movie material is like some of Clone Wars, the PS1 Phantom Menace game, a few rounds of OG Battlefront 2 and a bunch of magazines going into great detail about the legacy stuff that sounded cool even as young as I was. Mara Jade absolutely should have been considered too.

I: 3 (It's kinda empty honestly alongside the usual criticisms. Duel of Fates is probably 1 point on its own though.)

II: 2.5 (Darth Jar Jar might have been actually interesting and if Lucas pulled out we'll never know. I hated this thing at the time and I still stand firmly that this is the worst written script. The slapstick got too out of hand, the movie would have benefited from from rewrites in pretty much all of Anakin's parts and the CIS are a void in terms of opposition.)

III: 5 (The fact it actually paid off some of the stuff from the other two is why it's actually legit decent. Having to try to keep the prequels above water should probably be sufficient for a higher grade honestly but it still ain't perfect and I couldn't let myself rest if I ranked it higher than all the sequels. Definitely a saviour of the PT.)

Solo: 6.5 (If it didn't feel a teensy bit contradictory at points and handled the friend so that it didn't feel like sequel bait I'd probably like this a bit more. Also not enough scoundrel Han.)

IV: 8 (It may be a bit pulpy, but it still handles itself really well and gets to set the direction of the others.)

V: 8.5 (What can I say, by far the most solid of the lot. No real bum notes, JEJ gives a classic reveal and it does feel intergalactic.)

VI: 7.5 (It's not that bad, really! Bit goofy, but with the others I feel we should appreciate that. The characters feel right, the sense that there's a chance of snatching defeat makes the climax all the more tense and the Ewoks weren't awful.)

VII: 5.5 (I feel this will be considered the most generic in the long run. Jakku was a poor choice of starting point for Rey. Also Han's straight up wasted and I wish some of the elements here were better used (TR-8R getting bodied. Poor form.))

VIII: 5 (Honestly in hindsight a lot of interesting ideas but oh man some of the execution is just disappointing (See: Rose and Finn's arcs (Especially the end), Poe's was close to on point but crashed and the reasoning for Luke's trauma needed to be clearer. I stand by Rey and Kylo here though). Good thing the next thing I saw from Rian was Knives Out (Easily > 9/10))

IX: 4 (If I didn't like some of the moments this would be likely lower. Seriously the use of Palpatine was a giant cop-out that prevents an actual better movie from VIII's ending and its actual ending.... It is clear just how unplanned it all was and I saw this the day of release and got great buzz discussing the issues I had. Rather telling that I feel as a movie it could be worse but as a sequel it is a travesty how much mishandling happened with the ST and it all comes to a crescendo here.)

@Dark Holy ElfI will say watch it, even as an understanding of why Disney should have gone for planning the thing as a whole rather than whatever they were thinking originally.

Edited by Dayni

Prequel Trilogy
Star Wars: Episode I – The Phantom Menace- 8.5/10
Star Wars: Episode II – Attack of the Clones- 8/10
Star Wars: Episode III – Revenge of the Sith- 9.5/10
Original Trilogy
Star Wars: Episode IV – A New Hope- 8/10
Star Wars: Episode V – The Empire Strikes Back- 9/10
Star Wars: Episode VI – Return of the Jedi- 8.5/10
Sequel Trilogy
Star Wars: The Force Awakens- 6/10
Star Wars: The Last Jedi- 7/10
Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker- 3/10
Story Movies
Rogue One- 8.5/10
Solo- 8/10

Phantom Menace: 2/10. It has some fun moments, and a good lightsaber fight, but that's about it

Attack of the Clones: 0/10. Literally nothing besides sand memes, which isn't intentionally funny so it doesn't get any points.

Revenge of the Sith: 6/10. Hard carried by the lightsaber duels, but at least is an interesting watch.

A New Hope: 5/10. I get it's the original, and the camp has its charm but good lord it is such a slog to sit through, at least unless you find an original unedited version.

The Empire Strikes Back: 9/10. The best that Star Wars movies ever got, has everything you could ever want. A few small oddities and pacing issues keep it from perfection.

Return of the Jedi: 6/10. Anything with Luke is great, anything without him is dull and Han has lost almost all of his charm.

The Force Awakens: 7/10. A really charming film that is better than most people give it credit for. It's better in a vacuum than in the context of the entire trilogy.

The Last Jedi: 3/10. I get with what they were trying to go with, but unlike The Force Awakens, you can't look at this film in a vacuum, and since the sequel doesn't really work with it, it just leaves it in this awkward place. Also Canto Bite (or however you spell it) fucking sucks and single-handedly brings the movie down by multiple points.

Rise of Skywalker: 4/10. I want to like RoS, because it has all the elements there to be a good Star Wars story, but it just doesn't work. The pacing is bugnuts, the writing is sloppy, and any moment that almost has impact is immediately deflated in some way.

Rogue One: 5/10. I appreciate what Rogue One stands for and does, but it's just not a very interesting movie. It makes for a pretty good book (which there is a novelization of the movie, I'd recommend reading it), and that novel is why the score is what it is. Also Darth Vader brings this movie up just by being a badass with great puns

Solo: 1/10. Again, I see what they were trying to go with here, but the execution fucks it all up. A Star Wars Heist movie is an amazing idea, and said idea has worked amazing before in The Clone Wars, but it just falls on its face with horrible handling of characters, a messy plot, and a disgraceful ending.

Star Wars Clone Wars: 9/10. While yeah, it's just a bunch of fights without much narrative through-line, those fights are probably some of the best in all of Star Wars history. The clones assaulting the Separatist headquarters, that massive bounty hunter that turns into a disgusting monstrosity, the awesome fight with Ventris (or however you spell her name), Sha'gi being a real thing, basically the entire second movie. And to top all of that off, Grievous. General Grievous in this cartoon is a fucking badass. This dude is like a Ninja with the power of Hulk. Now I like the General in all Star Wars media, but his sheer presence here is something to behold and frankly it's amazing. If you haven't seen it before, here's the link. Please watch it.

Star Wars The Clone Wars: 10/10. It's not perfect, but frankly it might as well be. This is the best Star Wars content we've ever gotten in my eyes. The handling and progression of characters, beautiful fight scenes, amazing plots, it has everything you could want in Star Wars media. I've watched through it more times than I can count.

The novels of the movies: 6.5/10. I lump them all together because they're generally of similar quality. They improve on the movie's writing, but lose some fun value since it's a book.

Battlefront 2: 6/10. I'm just really bad at this game, so I can't experience a lot of it. It's fun, but kinda clunky.

Lego Star Wars: 10/10. Pure nostalgia here, but on top of being one of the best Star Wars games, this is the best Lego game that was ever made. All 6 movies made into awesome and generally fun levels. It made me give a shit about Episode 2, which is an accomplishment in and of itself.

Republic Commando: 8/10. A bit rushed towards the end, but generally a super fun shooter that incorporates squad mechanics super well. Also genuinely difficult without seeming unfair.

Jedi Fallen Order: 7/10. This could've used more time in the oven. Graphics are a little shaky (The humans are just barely out of the uncanny valley), and the pacing is all over the place. But it's also a super fun gameplay experience all around, and it makes you feel like a Jedi apprentice, limited skill and all. 

I'd almost like to see @Silafante speak his piece here, but he's kind of just stopped frequenting this site.

Anyway, gonna rank the movies by order of release.  Bear in mind I only saw Force Awakens out of the sequel trilogy, so I only know of what I heard from others on the later two movies.

• Episode IV, A New Hope: 7/10 - For an introduction to the wider series as a whole, it's nice.  It's probably got the most basic plot in the series, and it's really campy.  There's suspense, but the main shocking events that transpire don't happen to the main characters themselves - that is, Luke, Han, Leia, and Darth Vader.  They happen to things and people they care about - Alderan and Obi-Wan, in particular.  But the main cast otherwise come out of the conflict no worse for wear.
  • Episode V, Empire Strikes Back: 9/10 - The movie with all the critical twists.  Luke loses his had and discovers that the main villain is actually his father.  Han is betrayed by his close friend and frozen in stasis to be sold as a decorative piece to a crime lord he owes money to.  Leia's rebel alliance is nearly destroyed and run off their main base on Hoth, and not long after she fell in love with Han he gets taken prisoner by a mercenary.  Vader himself comes face-to-face with his son for the first time ever, and seems to contemplate his interaction - contemplates why Luke chose to fall down a chasm and possibly die instead of join his side and rule the Empire alongside him.  Everyone loses in their own ways, and while the ending is ultimately hopeful, there's much that was lost by the end of this movie.
  • Episode VI, Return of the Jedi: 7/10 - It's a good follow-up to Episode V, but there weren't really any more shockers in store for the main cast we've been following all this time.  Well, except for Darth Vader's return to the light, because Luke chose to keep his hope and faith that Vader still had some good in him.  Honestly, the scene with Luke, Vader, and Sidious was the most memorable thing for me in this movie because Luke finally had to face the choice of either staying on the path of light in spite of the overwhelming odds or succumb to the urges of the dark and effectively take the easy way out.  Luke defeated Vader, and had him at his mercy... but instead of choosing to kill Vader even when urged by Sidious, he spared him.  Even at the possible cost of his own life, he chose to believe in Vader.  It's what finally tipped Vader over to the side of good, resulting in him saving the life of his son who just a moment ago saved Vader's life.  Aside from that, I don't really remember anything all that special about this movie.
  • Episode I, the Phantom Menace: 5/10 - I do like the memes that came out of the prequels, and there is a charm to the campy nature.  However, after the twists and turns of the previous two movies, Phantom Menace didn't really offer much.  It might've been a bit too much on the light-hearted side of things.
  • Episode II, the Clone Wars: 4/10 - I honestly don't remember much of anything beyond the memes, Kamino, and the actual battle on Geonosis.  There was also the slaughtering of the Tusken animals that Anakin committed, though that's partly covered by my mentioning of memes, but I remember what preceded it - watching Anakin meet his mother, who was basically dying at the hands of the Tusken Raiders, and then him march out and begin slaughtering everyone.  That was probably the only moment in the movie that had any impact on me.
  • Episode III, Revenge of the Sith: 8/10 - Yeah, I'm rating it a smidgen above Episodes IV and VI.  I mainly remember the battle on Mustafar, watching Obi-Wan who was usually a jovial and campy character entirely distraught over what became of Anakin.  I feel like much of this story is carried by Palpatine and Obi-Wan.  It's the movie where Palpatine's long game of political maneuvering and quietly influencing Anakin's life pays off, and we also see a pivotal point in Obi-Wan's life which turns him into the cynic we see in the original trilogy - the man who always doubts Luke and believes that he's lost whenever he acts rashly or impulsively.  But while people give him flak for acting like a hormonal teenager, the story wouldn't be complete without Anakin.  And honestly, to defend him, I'd say he's perfect for what the story was trying to set up.  He joined too late to really be raised as a proper jedi, and he came from a difficult background.  Yet instead of dealing with the emotional turmoil he was going through, the jedi more or less basically just told him to sit down and shut up.  I like this because it shows that even the jedi aren't without flaws.  And as a result, the jedi lose their precious Chosen One to the Sith.
  • Episode VII, Force Awakens: 6/10 - Honestly, it just feels like A New Hope with a different skin.  Outside of the context of Star Wars, it's a nice enough campy film, but it's just not all that great a Star Wars movie.  I feel like honestly I agree with a lot of Mark Hamill's opinions on the movie - Luke should've had a more substantial role, and it would've been more impactful if he was there with Leia when Ben stabbed Han.  I hear that Luke got an even worse treatment in the later movies, and I think it's a real shame that after all he'd been through he was given this disappointing conclusion to his story.

There are also an assortment of games I played based on this franchise.  Namely:

• Rogue Squadron: 8/10 - This was, I feel, a big step for flight simulators as a genre.  Sure, you had Ace Combat, but AC3 kind of broke the team's budget enough that the localization was significantly nutered, and AC4 didn't come out until 2001.  Rogue Squadron was the real shit.  It was, digitally, barely jury-rigged to function, but it was a badass flight simulator where you got to fight among the best of the Rebel Alliance to disrupt the actions of the Empire.  Sequels came out for this game, and I loved them just about as much as the original, even in spite of the... iffy on-foot segments of Rebel Strike.
  • Knights of the Old Republic: 9/10 - Yes, I think this matches what made the Empire Strikes Back great with its twists, while also combining elements of Revenge of the Sith that demonstrate the flaws of the jedi.  But this time, you yourself get to decide if you'll succumb to the dark side or side with the light against the odds.  And just like with the Empire Strikes Back, there's a very crucial twist involving your character's identity which elevated this Star Wars game's story above all others.  The gameplay is nice, too, if you're more into playing a fast-paced D&D with jank than an actual action game - plenty of builds you can make in this game, which really just goes to show how varied the jedi can actually be.
  • Knights of the Old Republic II: 8/10 - Some will absolutely give me flack for listing this below the original KotOR (I'm sure I even know some of their names), but I'll have you know it's just barely below that game.  What really holds it back is the unfinished nature of it all and an unsatisfying ending.  That aside, this cranks up the deconstruction that Revenge of the Sith did to eleven.  Everything you think is great about either the jedi or the Sith is questioned, and your mentor in the game, Kreia, is the one that holds them to the torch.  On likely the first planet you explore, Nar Shadaa, you'll encounter a bum who'll ask you to give him something (I think it's money, but I don't quite remember).  If you give him what he wants, you're chastised and shown that by giving him that thing, you made him into a target for others who are desperate - you watch him get beaten up by a thug who also wants what you gave him.  She almost always will question the path of pure good, but won't abide just pure evil without aim or purpose either.  And in the end, you're made to question the very entity that is the force.  It's a tremendously great story and the gameplay mechanics are improved over the first game.  But for me, it's sort of like Mass Effect 3 - it would've been the best if it wasn't for its grievous faults.  That's classic Obsidian, for you - always overreaching, making fantastic games but having to cut lots of stuff out because of budget and time constraints.  It's no wonder Joshua Sawyer and Chris Avellone became weary as time went on.  At least Avellone got to help make another critically acclaimed Star Wars game after this one, even if he wasn't a lead designer for it.  EDIT: I should add that the philosophy of Kreia is really what set this game apart from basically anything else Star Wars, and that it actually came out before Revenge of the Sith.  There's a lot to her philosophy beyond simple moral greyness - it's a philosophy dependent on one's own capabilities and powers, and one that scorns the reliance on the power of others or the aiding of others going through struggles, seeking a collective learning experience where everyone learns through their own struggles instead of being given an easy solution.  I'd even say Kreia is the reason people even question the virtues of the jedi and the sins of the sith in the first place.  Well, her and Jolee Bindo, the best cynical old man who ever lived.  They really bring into question the true value of the jedi teachings, which were first brought up in the Empire Strikes Back.  When I say this game is an 8/10, I really only mean that it's a major disappointment that the end battle and ultimate resolution of the story were disappointing and that the incomplete status of the game holds it back.  The story, or at least Kreia, is 10/10, and I say that as someone who almost never give perfect scores to anything unironically.
  • Battlefront II: 8/10 - I'll lump in the OG Battlefront as well because they're fairly similar.  Here, I'm talking about the original Battlefront games - the ones not published by EA.  The story isn't much to write home about, though in the second game it's a nice side story to accompany the overarching story - that of the 501st Legion which were a significant force in Star Wars lore, who were powerful enough that they became Anakin's/Vader's main fighting force and were one of the original batches of clones that were still used even as far into the timeline as the Empire Strikes Back.  But what makes this game great is it's sort of like a space-themed Battlefield.  It's a shooter where you choose to fight for one team against another in various game modes.  There are several classes to play as, each with their own roles, and objectives vary from "try to capture these six points until one side runs out of reinforcements or points to capture" to "capture the flag x number of times" to score battles in space where both sides must try to either destroy parts of a ship and its support frigates or defeat a large amount of enemies.  It was honestly just a fun Star Wars-themed shooter.

I don't rank the Lego Star Wars games because it's been a long while since I've played them.  But tbh they're probably around 7/10 or 8/10.  If you're wondering why I generally place the games above a lot of the movies, it's because most of my childhood was spent playing the games as opposed to watching the movies.  I also just generally view games as a superior medium to movies, at least when done correctly.

Edited by Ertrick36

I have a soft spot for Star Wars but despite having a pretty extensive knowledge of it I actually never consumed much more then the original movies. I spend some time as a kid in the Wookiepedia rabbithole and its all very interesting though splitting the story through so many different books, films, tv shows and other mediums is pretty ineffective. 

The Phantom Menace: 7,5/10

It was my very first Star Wars movie and I pretty instantly fell in love with it. These day I can see why its considered somewhat sloppy but I can't say I'll ever understand the sheer distaste people have for it. Its just kinda solid. The lightsaber battles were really epic for a kid, the space and land battles were neat and while the story isn't exactly competent it certainly has its charms. 

Attack of the Clones: 3/10

Its boooooring. I'm enough of a Christopher Lee fan to assume he can salvage any movie just by his presence but somehow that never quite happened here. Its so boooooring! And its not even about the politics. I can fully get behind the premise of the Confederacy but the movie just makes it sooo boring. Perhaps the movie should have spend more time on Dooku and less time about why Anakin doesn't like sand. 

Revenge of the Sith: 9/10

Now this is the movie that solidified my stance that Star Wars was very worth getting invested in. Its not just the best movie of the prequel trilogy but the best Star Wars movie in general. The story's pretty decent, the visuals and lightsaber battles are awesome and its really the golden age for Darth Sidious. Sure the movie is VERY campy and dorky but Star wars IS campy and dorky. If you're not campy and dorky then you're not star wars. 

A New Hope: 7,5

I liked it. I can see why the rest of the world loved it so much. Very neat, very competently put together. It does show its age though. A lot. 

The Empire Strikes Back: 9/10

All around just really good. Really, really good and unlike A New Hope I think it aged pretty well. Its A New Hope but just better in every way. Better character interactions, better story, especially better light saber battles and Darth Vader has more of a presence. 

Return of the Jedi: 7/10

I actually only watched this movie ones and never felt much need to go back. I felt it was perfectly decent but I never thought about it afterwards. I do think the movie was a step down from the previous one but its still mostly competent and a fitting conclusion. 

The Force Awakens: 2/10

I can't say I didn't enjoy my time with the movie. Its perfectly serviceable but I can't help but hold the movie in contempt. Its just a scene for scene reboot of A New Hope. Was that really the grand return Star Wars needed? The whole premise of the movie doesn't even make any sense. Why are the main characters rebels when the New Republic is a thing. Who are these First Order losers and why did they humiliate the previous Heroes despite being a collection of joke characters? Overall I think the new movies failed and I primarily blame the shody set up that The Force Awakens set up. You can't build an engaging story when the villains are so pathetic and a universe that hasn't evolved even a little bit after A New Hope will never be interesting. 

Rogue One: 8/10

Easily the best Disney Star Wars movie. Its among the few that tries to tell an interesting story and I think it does so competently enough. The movie just feels very fresh. Its about an era the other movies don't explore and there's no Jedi to be found.  Darth Vader also gives the movie some points for being a very powerful presence. 

Solo: 6/10

I don't get the hate. Its very decent. Nothing above decent but if your series reaches the low points of Attack of the Clones and Rise of Skywalker then perhaps you shouldn't go looking down on movies that manage to be decent. 

The Last Jedi: 6.5/10

I don't like a lot of things this movie did but I think that deep down I do respect it. Its the only sequel movie that even attempts to have something interesting to say. I don't like hobo Luke or Smoke being such a pathetic loser but at least the movie tried to do something interesting. The spectacle was pretty great and I do think Kylo made some very promising steps into being a solid villain with his own distinct philosophy. Admiral pinkhair and casino town were two plotpoints that didn't work but they were sideplots and thus easy to ignore. 

Rise of Skywaker: 6/10

Its an absolute mess. But its a fun mess. I had a lot of fun watching it and while I think the movie failed I think its about the best it could have been when you consider the movie was caught between two directors who couldn't agree on anything and a frantic Disney just micromanaging every little thing about it. The movie has almost no competence to speak off and several plotpoints I dislike but overall its cute, enjoyable and serviceable enough if you go in with zero expectations. 

The Expanded Universe: ?/10

I never consumed a thing about it but I do respect it. With the sequel era being as boring as possible its nice to know that somewhere there's a universe that did constantly evolve and reinvent itself. A happy ending for Luke, screentime that count Dooku never got in the movies, a galaxy full of aliens being invaded by other  aliens, just everything about Admiral Thrawn, and Darth Krayt reforming the Sith order all seemed highly interesting. I can't rate it since I never read any of the novels nor have any desire to do so but I wouldn't have gone the Wookiepedia rabbithole for so long if I didn't think there was a story I found very enjoyable. 

Edited by Etrurian emperor

I never really did the rating thing for movies and don't care to throw my hat in on star wars movie discourse when everything you can think of has already been said unironically. But I'll rank 'em:

1. The Empire Strikes Back
  2. A New Hope
  3. Revenge of the Sith
  4. Return of the Jedi
  5. Force Awakens
  6. The Last Jedi
  7. Rogue One
  8. Rise of Skywalker
  9. Solo
  10. Attack of the Clones
  11. Phantom Menace

As for the Games that I got around to playing:

• Jedi Fallen Order - 8.0. A surprise to be sure, but a welcome one. Just a fun action game with some wonderful level design. It's also a fun game to platinum that didn't require any grindy or permanently missable achievements. I have some issues with it. I think the additional health stim upgrades are far too well hidden. I missed every single one on my first playthrough, making the game harder than I assume was intended. I also wish there was more interesting aesthetic customization, but the only cool options are your lightsaber color which honestly should have been a permanent choice and not something you swap around afterward. I'm also not sure what point the game is trying to make with the plot's resolution.
  • Battlefront 2 (PS2) - 7.7. I can't imagine how this game would have played in multiplayer since I lacked the opportunity growing up. But I still ate this game up day after day. I was particularly fond of the bonus mos eisley level where all the characters are replaced with jedi and other special characters. Just a lot of silly fun, and the story campaign was good too.
  • Episode 1 Racer 6.9. Probably my favorite racing game, though it's not a genre I ever seek out. I loved upping the ante on each race so that only first place gets the maximum amount of money for upgrades. The racers are also just very weird in a way that I adore. Haven't played this one recently, but I remember having no problems with it.
  • Episode 3: Revenge of the Sith 6.0. Underrated linear action game. This was the most in depth lightsaber combat we had until Force unleashed and the force powers were fun too. You could also upgrade individual powers and moves with earned exp points, and there were good secrets and unlockables too. I do remember the 1v1 lightsaber duels being annoying where you just try whatever and see what works with inconsistent results, but there's only like three of those boss stages in the game.
  • Rogue Squadron - 5.5. This is not a game that I've played in the last decade, but I remember liking it a lot and printing out lists of cheats and secrets online to try out.
  • The Force Unleashed 5.3. Definitely a big deal for its time due to an impressive physics engine and portrayal of the force. They may have gone a bit overboard though when you literally pull star destroyers from orbit into the ground, as well as tossing aside tie fighters as easily as stormtroopers. The combat also lacked depth and you just sort of had to wail on enemies until their health bar depleted - making you feel like your lightsaber was a wet noodle against anything that wasn't a mook stormtrooper.
  • Shadows of the Empire 4.9. I like it more as an adult than I did as a kid. Most of the levels are slow and just hard enough that you can't turn your brain off.
  • The Force Unleashed 2 4.4. Starkiller is a whiny little baby that can't think beyond himself, and the gameplay is just a mindless button masher with QTEs in place of strategy. It's greatest virtue might be its 4-5 hour runtime.
  • Pod Racer Revenge 3.9. I dunno if I had any real issues with this one, it's just a straight sequel with new tracks and no new mechanics to draw you in. I wanna say they removed or tampered with the upgrade system but I just don't remember for sure
  • Rogue Squadron 2 3.6. Obnoxious objectives like hoping your AI companions don't randomly die, and really brutal difficulty as I recall. 

Ooh boy, hard to rate, especially given how many EU books I've consumed, but I'll give this a shot.

Skywalker Saga:

The Phantom Menace: 5/10, not a particularly exciting movie in the grand scheme of the universe, with the only notable scenes being the podrace and the duel of the fates. However, I don't think it's as bad as many say, the political storyline does have a bit of intrigue to it, especially if you've read certain books from the EU.

Attack of the Clones: 6/10, this might be a somewhat controversial opinion, placing this one so high up. I find AotC to be a generally good movie that suffers significantly from the Anakin-Padme love story. Excluding this subplot, which could itself be salvageable if it had better dialogue and better setup, AotC has many elements that make up an otherwise good Star Wars movie: great action scenes, fun character interactions, witty banter, and a variety of interesting environments/species.

Revenge of the Sith: 9/10, the best movie outside of the original trilogy, by a long shot. Everything the prequels have built up to culminates in a surprisingly satisfactory manner, and the elements and narrative style built in the first two prequels really shine in this one. RotS is memeable through and through because of its dialogue, which gives it great rewatch potential and provides it with some levity amidst the intensely dark narrative. Also, the twin duels of Anakin vs. Obi-Wan and Yoda vs. the Emperor is one of the best scenes of the whole series.

A New Hope: 8.5/10, the one that started it all. ANH is a force (pun intended) to be reckoned with in its own right; it is, after all, the movie that spawned the universe. Its spin on the David vs. Goliath tail is well executed, in a time before the story became too cliche. Both factions are compelling in this movie, with characters on both sides drawing a viewer in. It does slightly lose out to its successor, however, simply because it has to spend more time developing a world, unlike ESB.

The Empire Strikes Back: 9.5/10, the closest thing we're likely to ever get to a perfect Star Wars movie, and indeed, a pillar of the sci-fi movie genre in its own right. No Star Wars movie handles its characters or dialogue nearly as well as ESB does, while also effortlessly mixing in philosophy, space adventure, personal intrigue, action, and family drama. Really could not think of any complaints for this movie in a specific sense, this is just Star Wars at its peak.

Return of the Jedi: 8/10, the climax of the strongest Star Wars trilogy...but not the strongest climax overall. This movie would've done well to go all in for its action and character drama, which are the elements that are best in this movie. It suffers slightly from having too much screentime at Jabba's/on Endor pre-battle. Even though it wouldn't have really fit with the overall storytelling method of the trilogy, it might've been fun to see the famous Bothans collecting intel on the Death Star.

The Force Awakens: 5.5/10,  ANH redux...not really...but kinda. The parallels here are unmistakable, and hard to ignore in the context of the story as a whole. The characters here are overall better than at any other point in the sequel trilogy, so that's one point in this movie's favor. 

The Last Jedi: 3.5/10, this movie was not very good, to say the least. Character interactions are weak amongst a trilogy with weak character interactions overall; the interactions of Kylo and Rey carry this movie, though there was definitely a missed opportunity in electing not to have them team up. Alas. Otherwise, this movie doesn't offer a whole lot in terms of positive content.

The Rise of Skywalker: 6/10, Ben died from carrying this trilogy on his shoulders. This movie is not particularly good in an objective sense, partially owing to all the backtracking that needed to be done from TLJ. Once again, characters are not a strong point of this movie, particularly the newer ones. 

Other Movies:

Solo: 6.5/10, a decent action flick. I don't like it as much as the EU origin story for Han, but it's still a fun watch nonetheless. I also really enjoy the continuity this movie has with other elements of the universe. 

Rogue One: 8/10, the best movie made since Disney took over. Even though we largely know going into the movie that all of these characters will have to die, they're still the best movie characters of any of the new ones. This movie packs some major emotional weight, it offers a strong portrayal of the lead-up to ANH, and the closing scene with the escape from Scarif and Vader attacking the rebels...need I say more?

I might come back and do other materials later.

Original Trilogy:

• A New Hope: 9.5/10 - An instant classic, establishing the iconic characters everyone knows and loves.
  • Empire Strikes Back: 10/10 - Star Wars simply does not get any better than this. Period. The revelation of Vader's familial relation to Luke will forever be one of the most iconic moments in all of cinema.
  • Return of the Jedi: 9.5/10 - Ewoks get a little too much flack, even if they aren't particularly great. This is home to a great payoff to a great trilogy, and the best lightsaber battle to this point. The emotional weight behind Luke's fight with Vader alone is worth the whole movie.

Prequel Trilogy:

• Phantom Menace: 8/10 - There's some lows, such as Jar Jar and midi-chlorians, but nothing that makes it nearly as bad as a lot of people out there seem to think. I actually like quite a bit of this movie. The lightsaber fight at the end is the best in the entire franchise, period.
  • Attack of the Clones: 6/10 - Anakin and Padme have so much cringe-worthy dialogue, and Hayden Christensen does a very poor job acting in this movie, but I actually like a lot of the action, and all the stuff with Obi-Wan is good.
  • Revenge of the Sith: 8.5/10 - The best of the prequels, for sure. This is the one that's probably the most put together as a movie. Christensen is much improved, at least for the most part, and the final fight at the end is great.

Sequel Trilogy:

• Force Awakens: 3/10 - Basically A New Hope, except much, much, much worse.
  • The Last Jedi: 1/10 - This is one of the worst movies I have ever had the displeasure of watching, with some of the absolute worst writing I have ever witnessed.
  • Rise of Skywalker: 2/10 - Can it just end already, please?

Look, as far as I'm concerned, this terrible trilogy--and everything Disney has done, for that matter--is not at all canon. The pre-Disney Extended Universe had some crap in there, but at least there was a chunk of good. I can't say the same for this garbage. As such, I'll refrain from bashing any post-Disney material (such as their new EU, and the Rogue One and Solo films), and briefly jump straight into the old EU.

Legends/Expanded Universe:

There's far too much for me to go over individually. So, in groups...

• Books: Shadows of the Empire is really good, The Thrawn Trilogy (Heir to the Empire, Dark Force Rising, and The Last Command) is really good, The Hand of Thrawn duology (Specter of the Past and Vision of the Future, which are sequels to the Thrawn Trilogy) is really good, Survivor's Quest is really good, and I'm sure there's more I've forgotten.
  • Games: Oh dear, there's a lot of games I've liked over the years. The Battlefront games on the PS2, the first two Lego Star Wars games, Jedi Power Battles, the Episode 1/Phantom Menace game, the Bounty Hunter game...it's not that difficult finding good Star Wars games, honestly.

Movies:

1. The Empire Strikes Back - Perfection
  2. A New Hope - An excellent start for the series
  3. Revenge of the Sith - The best Prequel film
  4. Return of the Jedi - A solid conclusion to the Original trilogy
  5. Rogue One - The best Disney film and a great side story
  6. The Force Awakens - ANH 2.0
  7. Attack of the Clones - Anakin x Padme took up way too much of the movie's time
  8. The Phantom Menace - Bland
  9. Rise of Skywalker - Illogical and RotJ 2.0 but bring back Palpatine because they couldn't be bothered to create a new villain
  10. The Last Jedi - A dumpster fire that ruined one of the best fictional characters of all time

Games:

• Jedi Fallen Order: 6/10 - I know a lot of people loved this game, and its story and presentation are quite good, but the overall gameplay was fairly uninteresting for me.
  • Jedi Outcast: 8/10 - A great game that is pretty dated at this point. Features one of my favorite Star Wars characters, Kyle Katarn.
  • Jedi Academy: 7/10 - Story wasn't as good as Jedi Outcast, but the personalized avatar system with multiple missions in various planets was pretty great.
  • Star Wars: Battlefront 2 (2005) PC: 9/10 - My favorite shooter of all time (and I don't really play shooters). It's amazing fun to play, even if it is a bit dated by modern standards in shooter games.
  • Force Unleashed Duology: 6/10 overall - Both games become pretty monotonous over time and were more spectacle than substance.
  • Rogue Leader: 7/10 - Fun, but difficulty spikes ruin it as the game progresses.

TV Shows:

• Star Wars the Clone Wars: 9/10 - Probably the best adaptation of Star Wars into a medium apart from the movies. Excellent overall. Better than the entire sequel trilogy actually.

Books:

• I don't actually remember the titles of the books I read, but they took place before the prequels as well as during the prequels. I thought they were quite good. Makes me wish the EU was still canon.

I: 7/10: I honestly didn't mind it. I think it had some great scenes, and I thought it did a decent job handling Palpatine's rise to Chancellor. Qui-Gon dying was a shame, and Jar-Jar was... Jar-Jar, but overall the movie was decent.

II: 5/10: Yeah... I get it was meant to be about Anakin and Padme, but I never really bought their chemistry, it always came across as creepy and forced to me. The Jango Fett plot carried it, but its still my least favourite of the first 6 movies.

III: 9/10: Best of the prequel trilogy, easy. Still some moments with Padmakin that made me feel super uncomfortable, but the duels, the music, Anakin's overall fall to the dark side, "did you ever hear the tragedy of Darth Plagueis the Wise?"... Overall, just a great movie

Rogue One: 9/10: Yeah, it was obvious that everybody would die, but the characters were still well written for the most part. My biggest problem was the fact that Bodhi had almost no screentime after they rescued him, which is a shame, because he was the one I was the most interested in.

Solo: 9/10: Idc what anybody else says, this one is still one of my favourites. It's entertaining, I personally think it did a good job portraying young Han- a few things felt kind of forced by the writing, but I think the actor nailed the charm of a young and hungry Han. Also, all Star Wars films have amazing scores, but this one sticks out to me for some reason.

IV: 8/10: The original, the classic. This would probably get rated higher if I didn't watch it to death, and I have to admit, some of the charm of the film has been lost. Still a cinematic icon.

V: 8/10: Not really much to say here. Good, solid film, super iconic twist. The opposite of IV, in that I've grown to appreciate it more over the years.

VI: 8/10: Same as above, but with less twist and more Ewoks.

VII: 6/10: Originally the novelty made it enjoyable, but then I realised that, as a rehash of IV, it didn't really have much novelty. Still, the characters were decent for this film, with Kylo, old Han and Finn being standouts to me.

VIII: 5/10: I really don't know how to feel about this one. On one hand, I really, really liked Kylo in this film, and there is some novel entertainment to be had while watching it. On the other, there were just so many stupid moments and plot points that made me actually question the movie, while I was watching it in cinemas. Killing Snoke before even establishing anything about him, Holdo being a deliberate prick for no reason other than... to test Poe's loyalty? (Good job with that), Phasma being in it for like 10 seconds before dying (I'm mixed on this one, because EU material made me despise her as a person, and the films didn't do anything to change that), flying Leia out of nowhere, the entire Canto Bight arc, Rose in general... Geez there are a lot of issues with this film. Maybe I should give it a lower score. Uh... Shirtless Kylo justifies the 5/10. Yeah.

IX: -10000/10: This film was decently entertaining despite all the shit it pulled out of its ass. I was almost willing to overlook all the problems with Palpatine being alive (good job, you retconned an entire prophecy from the prequels just to have Rey be the hero. Yay.), because it was just fun to see him on screen again. I was actually enjoying the film in spite of everything. Then Snap died. And suddenly I wasn't enjoying the movie anymore. I'll end this here because I don't want to rant for as long as I did with VIII.

I'd rate Clone Wars and Rebels, but I've only watched the first season of each, so maybe I'll come back to this once I'm done with those. As for some EU materials:

Darth Plagueis: 9/10: This book was really entertaining. Like I said above, I just enjoy Palpatine's existence, and actually getting to not only hear/read his thoughts as he lied, cheated and backstabbed his way into chancellorship, but also read about his own apprenticeship, was addictive in the most sadistic way.

New Thrawn Trilogy: 8.5/10:  Regrettably, I haven't read the original trilogy, but the new one is pretty great too. I will say it seemed to drop in quality from the first book to the third, but they were just so entertaining I didn't care.

Aftermath Trilogy: 10/10: To this day, one of my favourite book series of all time. The characters, the story, the villains, and Snap. Perfection.

The Phantom Menace: 4/10: It's a prequel for the prequel, so little happens in the long scheme of things. George Lucas not being a director for 20 years hurts many aspects of the film. There is little energy in the cast. Makes the world smaller than it needs to be.

Attack of the Clones: 3/10: It's one of the most complicated plot to a SW movies all to promote the clone wars mulitmedia content. All the issues with TPM but with dated cgi. 

Revenge of the Sith: 10/10: The Novelization convinced that it is an amazing idea. Of a torn jedi between two opposing sides. Has some of the favorite designs out of the whole franchise. The phase two clone trooper will never be beat.  

A New Hope: 7/10: It shows bit of it's age with it being a rather experimental film when it came out. But a great start to what other have founded on years later. 

The Empire Strikes Back: 10/10: It takes everything what ANH did to the next level. Going more in depth of the force, the characters, action scenes, are all thing all following sci fi movies are judged by.

Return of the Jedi 8/10: What holds thing move back is wanting to be a retread of ANH. With going back to Tatooine, another Death Star. But the strongest aspect of the movie is Luke's relationship with Darth Vader. Those are some of my all time greatest scenes.

The Force Awakens 5/10: The strongest part of the movie was the energy that the cast had. What hold the movie back is being a bad foundation for the rest of the Disney era. There was no blueprint to follow up this movie on so it makes certain hints unfulfilling in retrospect. It created the trend of downplaying the old generation in favor of the new.

The Last Jedi 2/10: I hate this movie and everything it represents. Only saving grace is the cinematography.

Rise of Skywalker 3/10: Not planning out the films in advance bites in full force. Retcons and revisions everywhere. Editing is a nightmare. The best part was the Emperor as usual. 

Rouge One 6/10: First half of the movie is a mess, but makes up in the second part.

Solo: 5/10: Unnecessary and unneeded. The Solo name origin grinds my gears.

Shows: 

Clone Wars 10/10: I love this miniseries. The simplicity of it strikes a cord with me. 

The Clone Wars Movie: 3/10: Clunky reintroduction to the new continuity of the Clone Wars.

The Clone Wars 6/10~ 8/10: Hard to accurately rate how much I enjoyed the series with the widely degrees of quality. Goes from meh to amazing.

Rebels 5/10: Mostly a step down from the prior series.

The Mandalorian: 7/10: Solid first season. A throwback the the first Star Wars and the western genre.

Games:

Knights of the Old Republic 7/10: Solid rpg by Bioware. Revan is a treat.

Knights of the Old Republic 2 (7/10) 8/10: I'm conflicted with Kreia. On one had she challenges the roots of the series. But on the other hand she goes so much on her soap box that she is permanently there.  The restored content mod adds much needed meat to the game. But that was made after the fact by the fans.

Battlefront 7/10: Solid game, had a grand time on the ps2

Battlefront 2 10/10: Amazing game, had played hundreds of hours on the ps2

EA Battlefront: 4/10 Looks pretty, but designed poorly.

EA Battlefront 2: 6/10 currently. Dice have no clue what to do with this game. Poor balancing, matchmaking, and bugs all around. Plays better than the last game at least.

The Force Unleashed games 4.5/10: These games felt more like a beta than a fully realized game. Grip is OP.

Republic Commando: 7/10 Decent squad shooter. Delta squad are my boys.

Jedi Knight Fallen Order: 6/10: Need a bit more omph to make it to the next level. Story and gameplay left more to be desired. 

Lego Star Wars the Complete Saga 9/10: A bundle of the first two games with more stuff? Sign me up .

1 hour ago, AnonymousSpeed said:

it is all bad, all of y'all's taste is crap.

Prequels are unironically better than all the other movies combined and they have the superior memes.

I say these things because they are true.

You say my taste is crap when I agree with you T.T 

On 5/31/2020 at 2:59 PM, Jotari said:

It's all just incredibly average. Except Rise of Skywalker which is just down right hilariously bad.

Edited by Jotari

Okay then, time for my Gen Z self to give my opinions on Star Wars!

Ep. 4: 9/10-Really great movie overall

Ep. 5: 9/10-Legendary for a reason.

Ep. 6: 8.5/10-Not quite as good as the first two, but still excellent.

Ep. 7: 4/10-Bootleg version of Ep. 4

Ep. 8: Didn't watch it.

Ep. 9: Hot take! 8/10- Palpatine was a weird move, but I get the sense that the bigger a fan of star wars you are, the more you dislike this movie; I was very entertained by it!

Rogue 1: 8/10- Quite good.

• 2 weeks later...

OH! I forgot Force Unleashed!

Anyways, I'd rate it a 5.5. Alright enough gameplay but not exactly stellar for the period and Vader having a secret apprentice didn't really make sense for someone who'd only seen the first six movies at the time. 

On 6/2/2020 at 6:07 AM, Benice said:

Ep. 9: Hot take! 8/10- Palpatine was a weird move, but I get the sense that the bigger a fan of star wars you are, the more you dislike this movie; I was very entertained by it!

Now there's a take that would cause so much rage. I like seeing people occasionally throw these out there. I still swear using Palpatine again was a terrible call though (I thought it for the legacy stuff I learned about too, so not only am I just calling the ST bad, but unoriginal too!)

Then again, I'm one of those who will still stand by OG trilogy over the others. Also, I guess I'm not enough of a fan if I rate IX higher than I/II.

Edited by Dayni

3 hours ago, Dayni said:

OH! I forgot Force Unleashed!

Anyways, I'd rate it a 5.5. Alright enough gameplay but not exactly stellar for the period and Vader having a secret apprentice didn't really make sense for someone who'd only seen the first six movies at the time. 

Now there's a take that would cause so much rage. I like seeing people occasionally these out there. I still swear using Palpatine again was a terrible call though (I thought it for the legacy stuff I learned about too, so not only am I just calling the ST bad, but unoriginal too!)

Then again, I'm one of those who will still stand by OG trilogy over the others. Also, I guess I'm not enough of a fan if I rate IX higher than I/II.

I thought it would have been much more interesting if he was a force ghost. That's a scary thing. Like how can you beat an evil ghost? But instead they went with...well no explanation at all. He's just there. Attached to a crane for some reason. With a million death stars at his command.

Edited by Jotari

Just now, Jotari said:

I thought it would have been much more interesting if he was a force ghost. That's a scary thing. Like how can you beat an evil ghost? But instead they went with...well no explanation at all. H e's just there. Attached to a crane for some reason.

I mean, considering before then the force ghosts have been passive advisors, that would have been a really good way of using him and to take a twist on an established concept. Sure, you'd need to explain how he did so because Palpatine never seemed like he would have been interested in learning how to do so (on the other hand, Vader did so) and in the legacy material Palpatine clones were absolutely a thing (I thought it was dumb when I was younger. Even if it wasn't my first reaction)

Any explanations were left outside the movie. I still don't know how that Sith cult got his body after VI, but it is confirmed they did it. Also, any comparisons to the Loptous sect were just me. And I was comparing in favour of Loptous, so IX fucked up.

I guess the crane is because they couldn't actually fix his broke ass spine. It's more impressive he could be alive after that. And able to do what he does in that movie.

1 hour ago, Dayni said:

I mean, considering before then the force ghosts have been passive advisors, that would have been a really good way of using him and to take a twist on an established concept. Sure, you'd need to explain how he did so because Palpatine never seemed like he would have been interested in learning how to do so (on the other hand, Vader did so) and in the legacy material Palpatine clones were absolutely a thing (I thought it was dumb when I was younger. Even if it wasn't my first reaction)

Any explanations were left outside the movie. I still don't know how that Sith cult got his body after VI, but it is confirmed they did it. Also, any comparisons to the Loptous sect were just me. And I was comparing in favour of Loptous, so IX fucked up.

I guess the crane is because they couldn't actually fix his broke ass spine. It's more impressive he could be alive after that. And able to do what he does in that movie.

"Good news, sir. We've managed to save all your skin and organs after you survived the explosion of the planet destroying super weapon."

"Why can't I feel my toes?"

"That's the bad news, sir. We couldn't realign your spine after the fall."

"You managed to save all my skin and organs from a moon sized explosion yet you couldn't save my spine? Just replace it with a robotic one. If we can make Grevious you can give me the ability to walk!"

"I'm sorry, sir, but you ordered a bunch more death stars that are smaller, but with equal destructive power. The budget has been stretched really thin. In fact I'm amazed we did it at all. Point is we have no money  or resources to make any robot spines. In fact we've been working so hard, we've had to resort to cannibalism in lieu of food rations."

"Oh alright. I'm sure there's a construction crane left over you can hook me up to."

"Eh, why would we do that? We have a wheelchair."

"I need to move around all weird like. The crane will do!"

Edited by Jotari

• 1 month later...

Time for an odd offshoot of what people normally think of Star Wars entertainment, time to rate all the Star Wars pen and paper RPG systems

West End Games d6 System 8/10 - This is the system I have least experience in; but it was literally instrumental in defining Star Wars lore, and with a rather crunch light rules system that is simple to learn and play. Although force user tend to massively overshadow all other characters if allowed to be played.

Wizard's of the Coast d20 System 5/10 - It is a more flawed version of D&D 3rd edition with a Star Wars coat of paint. The good ideas it has end up being rather flawed mechanically.

Wizard's of the Coast Saga Edition 8.5/10 - My favorite of the D20 systems that gave massive amount of player choice, a lot of star wars flavor, but was easily breakable because of it.

Fantasy Flight's Edge of the Empire, Age of Rebellion, and Force and Destiny system 9.5/10 -  A beautiful mix between a crunchy, and narrative system, with a lot of Star Wars flare. Although learning and getting the unique dice the system uses is a bit of a hassle, once everyone understands it, it makes for some amazing storytelling.

Honestly I could probably write a paragraph or two about each of them, so if anyone is curious for more detailed analysis feel free to ask about one of them.

• 5 months later...

I'll stick with the movies I've seen. I try to rate things in tiers to avoid playing favorites. However, my two favorite Star Wars movies are ROTJ and ROTS. 

Anyways, I have:

Tier 1 - aka the "I love these movies and can re-watch them at any time"

ROTJ

ROTS

TFA

Solo

ESB

Tier 2 - aka "I don't usually put these on, but when I do watch them, I enjoy the ever-loving stuffing out of them."

TPM

TLJ

ANH

AOTC

Rogue One

Tier 3 - aka "I actively avoid re-watch marathon because these movies turn me off so much."

Rogue One (yes, it's in two categories. This isn't a mistake)

TROS