while the first is basicly a tool for making Fire Emblem clones with barren basic resources and additional stuff locked behind "DLCs", the second gives me the impression of having much more potential in terms of game development, and it's also completely free since it's open-source.

however, i'm not sure wich one would require less, or even better, no knowledge at all when it comes to coding, scripts, programming and the likes, wich is why i've been holding back so far despite having a project in mind for quite a while.

plus, Godot can also support isometric maps in the style of Final Fantasy Tactics, something that - to my knowledge - cannot be achieved by SRPG Studio in its current form.

anyway, i just wanted to hear some opinions in case someone around here had the chance to work withΒ one or even both of those softwares.

[edit] i'm also aware of Unity and Unreal engines, but those are pretty much out of question for me.

Edited by Fenreir

I'll preface this by saying I'm totally biased towards SRPG Studio, but I'll try to keep this impartial...

While SRPG Studio is mostly used to develop Fire Emblem clones, it's actually a lot more flexible than you'd first expect. Especially so if you're willing to delve into the JavaScript files and/or plugins. The RTP resources are pretty basic, but there's also a lot of cool (and free) stuff out there if you're willing to dig around.

I haven't used Godot, but it looks like something you'd want to use if heading away from Fire Emblem-like gameplay. I had a quick look around at strategy games using Godot,Β but TBH there doesn't look like there's much.

I'll also note that SRPG Studio has a free trial version which has very few limitations. I'd suggest downloading it and playing around to get a feel for it.