The Crossing - Stay a while, share your tale...

"Welcome to The Crossing, traveller. You've come a long way, haven't you..? Stop a while and tell us what brought you here. You'll find there's always someone who'll lend an ear..."

800px-Shiskin_-_The_Forest_Clearing.jpg

Hello and welcome to The Crossing!

This is a quiet place for people to gather and reflect; a place to listen, support, and tell your story. As you pass through, consider spending a moment writing about your day or week, about something that is happening to you, or something you are feeling. As with most, your experience with The Crossing may be transient. Something that passes without much thought, but with each passing you will leave your mark for somebody else to discover. And who knows? Our paths are not linear, and chances are the forest will bring you back to The Crossing once again...

Take care, traveller.

🌲🌲🌲

Why not listen to some music during your stay?

🎵 Awakening | Echoes  | Three Houses  🎵

Edited by Tylwyth Teg

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello to whoever stumbles upon The Crossing next! I thought I would leave some words to get us started.

The Crossing is something I wanted to create during a time of need. I am currently 3000 miles away from home. When I moved to the US to be with my wife, it seemed like an easy decision. After all, at any moment I would only be a three hour flight from home - easy! Though... with the "current situation" (as people like to indirectly refer to the pandemic), I'm somewhat stranded. I know I'm not the only one in this position, but it's a very strange and sad feeling. The distance now feels more than ever.

Thankfully my wife and I are safe and well in our small town. We are lucky to live in a place rural enough that we can go out and get plenty of exercise out in nature (even if there are bears here - something I am still not used to!) I've been out of work for the past two months, so until my workplace opens back up again I have been spending time working on a comic that has been slowly building in my mind over the past year. It feels good to have an opportunity to channel myself into something I feel very passionate about!

I'm sure many of you reading this are feeling similar emotions while our lives are in such turmoil, and I wish you well!

Well, I guess I'm a fairly generic adolescent. I do a lot of hiking, reading and writing, but I dislike violence, which kinda limits my options. (Seriously, RD is the most violent game I've ever played, so...)

Other than that, I'm working on a novel, listen to classical music and play the oboe in my free time. The virus has some ups and downs for me, since I get to go hiking literally every day, but it's still stressful because everything's in a transition period and online classes are really annoying. Plus the fact that it's a pandemic so it's pretty bad by default.

1 hour ago, Tylwyth Teg said:

When I moved to the US to be with my wife, it seemed like an easy decision. After all, at any moment I would only be a three hour flight from home - easy! Though... with the "current situation" (as people like to indirectly refer to the pandemic), I'm somewhat stranded. I know I'm not the only one in this position, but it's a very strange and sad feeling. The distance now feels more than ever

Oof. Hope that this ends soon so you can go back to Wales! I'm a big homebody, so I sympathize for you.

3 hours ago, Benice said:

Well, I guess I'm a fairly generic adolescent. I do a lot of hiking, reading and writing, but I dislike violence, which kinda limits my options. (Seriously, RD is the most violent game I've ever played, so...)

Other than that, I'm working on a novel, listen to classical music and play the oboe in my free time. The virus has some ups and downs for me, since I get to go hiking literally every day, but it's still stressful because everything's in a transition period and online classes are really annoying. Plus the fact that it's a pandemic so it's pretty bad by default.

In what ways does disliking violence limit your options? It sounds like you're the creative type, so perhaps not having violent tendencies allows you to broaden your options in other directions! 

Good luck with your novel! May I ask what it is about? My wife is currently working on a novel too, and it's a fascinating process to observe

26 minutes ago, Tylwyth Teg said:

In what ways does disliking violence limit your options? It sounds like you're the creative type, so perhaps not having violent tendencies allows you to broaden your options in other directions! 

Perhaps! I actually can tolerate violence in a nonfiction setting, (such as a history book) but from a storytelling perspective, it limits what kind of media I can observe-I'm in a weird niche where I like adventure but not large amounts of violence.

30 minutes ago, Tylwyth Teg said:

Good luck with your novel! May I ask what it is about? My wife is currently working on a novel too, and it's a fascinating process to observe

Thank you!

It's a fantasy setting-There is magic and magical creatures and the like.

And the plot's kinda...Hard to explain? It's more or less about an island of misfits who formed a community.

My life is fairly generic for any teen. Go to school, go home, play some videogames, do some homework. The current situation of all that is going on in this year has made 2020 one of the worst years of my life. People are dying, being killed, and it's all giving me anxiety. To combat this, i've been playing more games, but i've also bought some paint supplies and started to express my feelings in art. It honestly feels great just producing your feelings on a white sheet with paint of all colours available while you are able to just escape from the troubles of real life, and all that goes on in the world today. 

Hello~ I guess I'll share my story as well.

I just graduated college with a degree in Business Administration. It feels really weird, to be honest. My whole life I've been told I have to go to college and that has always been my goal. Now that I finished it, I feel a little overwhelmed with the directions my life can take. Although I've accepted an offer to teach English abroad in South Korea, I feel like withdrawing from the process, due to a declining interest, a lack of time to prepare all of the paperwork needed, unknown variables in regards to the pandemic, and I have more of an interest in pursuing other types of work. However, since I said I'll accept the position, I'm feeling like I have some buyer's remorse. Luckily, my recruiting agency said that I'm most likely on a wait list, so there may be time for me to pull out. I haven't signed a contract yet, so I may still have some time.

I'm also worried about my love life. I met my significant other while studying abroad last year in South Korea. Funnily enough, they were also an international student from Vietnam. Now I'm wondering how to go making our relationship work. I can try to find a teaching job in Vietnam, but I don't foresee myself doing that forever. I don't want to give up on my relationship, as I enjoy their company and I just feel drawn to them inexplicably. Plus, it will be about a year since we started dating at the end of the month, and I don't want to throw away all the time and energy I've put this far into the relationship.

17 hours ago, Benice said:

It's a fantasy setting-There is magic and magical creatures and the like.

And the plot's kinda...Hard to explain? It's more or less about an island of misfits who formed a community.

That's a good start for me! I've been really getting back into reading fantasy this year. Honestly I don't know why I stopped - I've had great fun, and look forward to more. Best of luck!!

16 hours ago, Michelaar said:

To combat this, i've been playing more games, but i've also bought some paint supplies and started to express my feelings in art. It honestly feels great just producing your feelings on a white sheet with paint of all colours available while you are able to just escape from the troubles of real life, and all that goes on in the world today. 

Hi friend! I'm glad you've managed to find creative outlets for your emotions. Art therapy is a very real thing, and it's great for working through your emotions! Paintings like those must be a special thing to keep, too. I imagine that, for example, in ten years time they will be precious belongings that capture the essence of certain stages of your life.

Nice profile pic btw. I've always wanted to play those Ace Attorney games! I'm still blindly hoping they'll be brought to the West on the Switch or something... Though I heart that a fan translation recently was completed, so perhaps I'll figure out a way to play that. Have you played it??

15 hours ago, Dandy Druid said:

Hello~ I guess I'll share my story as well.

I just graduated college with a degree in Business Administration. It feels really weird, to be honest. My whole life I've been told I have to go to college and that has always been my goal. Now that I finished it, I feel a little overwhelmed with the directions my life can take. Although I've accepted an offer to teach English abroad in South Korea, I feel like withdrawing from the process, due to a declining interest, a lack of time to prepare all of the paperwork needed, unknown variables in regards to the pandemic, and I have more of an interest in pursuing other types of work. However, since I said I'll accept the position, I'm feeling like I have some buyer's remorse. Luckily, my recruiting agency said that I'm most likely on a wait list, so there may be time for me to pull out. I haven't signed a contract yet, so I may still have some time.

I'm also worried about my love life. I met my significant other while studying abroad last year in South Korea. Funnily enough, they were also an international student from Vietnam. Now I'm wondering how to go making our relationship work. I can try to find a teaching job in Vietnam, but I don't foresee myself doing that forever. I don't want to give up on my relationship, as I enjoy their company and I just feel drawn to them inexplicably. Plus, it will be about a year since we started dating at the end of the month, and I don't want to throw away all the time and energy I've put this far into the relationship.

Hey! Thanks for dropping by.

Congratulations on finishing your degree! Though I can definitely relate to the overwhelming number of directions you now face. I don't think you can make the wrong decision, though. Whatever you choose, it will lead to the next thing, and that will lead to the thing after that, and so on. It sounds like you're already setting yourself up with good opportunities!

Best of luck with your relationship, too. Relationships over distances can be tough, but if it's with the right person then any amount of hard work will be worthwhile.

I hope you're all doing great today!

🌲🌳🌲

By the way! If anyone has any favourite Fire Emblem music mixes on Youtube, please let me know and I'll add a link to them in the top post! It's nice to have some music while recording your thoughts 😊

2 hours ago, Tylwyth Teg said:

Hi friend! I'm glad you've managed to find creative outlets for your emotions. Art therapy is a very real thing, and it's great for working through your emotions! Paintings like those must be a special thing to keep, too. I imagine that, for example, in ten years time they will be precious belongings that capture the essence of certain stages of your life.

Nice profile pic btw. I've always wanted to play those Ace Attorney games! I'm still blindly hoping they'll be brought to the West on the Switch or something... Though I heart that a fan translation recently was completed, so perhaps I'll figure out a way to play that. Have you played it??

Yep, that's what i've been finding out too. Today I have been painting what I think a hypothetical heaven would be like. I haven't exactly gotten very far, but I hope to make it into something truly beautiful. And yes, I do plan to keep them! They are always memories I can keep in mind. Who knows, perhaps in 10 years time, I can look back at them and reminiscence about the good and the bad we've been through. 

Haha thanks! Ace Attorney is awesome, I do hope they come out with a new one soon. I do hope they will come to the west too, and it might be possible if you look really far (Since I think most of the Sherlock Holmes stories are now public domain) but I'm guessing they'll just leave them in the past. The first game has a completed fan-translation, which I've finished playing. The second game has it completed up to it's second trial. The second game is way superior to the first one, kind of like the Miles Edgeworth games.

39 minutes ago, Michelaar said:

Haha thanks! Ace Attorney is awesome, I do hope they come out with a new one soon. I do hope they will come to the west too, and it might be possible if you look really far (Since I think most of the Sherlock Holmes stories are now public domain) but I'm guessing they'll just leave them in the past. The first game has a completed fan-translation, which I've finished playing. The second game has it completed up to it's second trial. The second game is way superior to the first one, kind of like the Miles Edgeworth games.

That sounds fantastic! I don't know if the Great Ace Attorney games will ever be localised, but I really hope that they decide to bring whatever they make next our way. It's a series I adore too much!

Your painting sounds great! It's interesting to challenge yourself with concepts like that. Keep it up 😊

As to myself, to be honest there's not a whole lot to say. Like Robin said in Awakening: "I mean, look at me. I'm pretty dull when you get right down to it. " I'll be starting my junior year of college this fall to earn my bachelor's in government. I'm an online student and definitely prefer the benefits of online college over the on-campus alternative. Writing is probably my favorite activity, although I've mostly written for college assignments instead of fiction (I actually just posted my first fanfic here on SF yesterday). My hobbies...I've been a pianist since I was a kid, and a gamer for even longer. Gaming has been the biggest anxiety-killer for me with the pandemic going on. And that's about it, I guess. Thanks for creating this thread by the way. It's nice to be able to share.

Edited by twilitfalchion

5 hours ago, twilitfalchion said:

As to myself, to be honest there's not a whole lot to say. Like Robin said in Awakening: "I mean, look at me. I'm pretty dull when you get right down to it. " I'll be starting my junior year of college this fall to earn my bachelor's in government. I'm an online student and definitely prefer the benefits of online college over the on-campus alternative. Writing is probably my favorite activity, although I've mostly written for college assignments instead of fiction (I actually just posted my first fanfic here on SF yesterday). My hobbies...I've been a pianist since I was a kid, and a gamer for even longer. Gaming has been the biggest anxiety-killer for me with the pandemic going on. And that's about it, I guess. Thanks for creating this thread by the way. It's nice to be able to share.

Robin might say that, but I'm pretty sure the rest of the cast would say otherwise 😊

It's cool to find that there are so many creative people here! And it's also great to hear that gaming has been a life-line for so many during the pandemic.

Best of luck with your online classes! I'm glad to hear it's a situation that suits you. I know many are struggling to adapt. There are silver linings to be found in one way or another for all of us!

Edited by Tylwyth Teg

Alright, this may sound a little venty, but my computer screen just broke. Completely. Fracture right in the middle of the screen. Looks like the laptop got shut on top of the metal part of a usb. I have a monitor, but the big problem is that I'll have to send it in for repairs, preferably sonner rather than later so nothing else breaks, and that will basically put me out of work for two weeks. Everythings backed up and I have an old desktop, but it can hardly run any adobe programs. I guess I'll just have to tell my clients and hope they understand while trying to get something done on the crappy 2015 desktop. 

1 minute ago, Sir Wolfram of Vallora said:

Alright, this may sound a little venty, but my computer screen just broke. Completely. Fracture right in the middle of the screen. Looks like the laptop got shut on top of the metal part of a usb. I have a monitor, but the big problem is that I'll have to send it in for repairs, preferably sonner rather than later so nothing else breaks, and that will basically put me out of work for two weeks. Everythings backed up and I have an old desktop, but it can hardly run any adobe programs. I guess I'll just have to tell my clients and hope they understand while trying to get something done on the crappy 2015 desktop. 

Oof. Feels bad. Is the screen damaged/ is it cosmetic or does it not work at all?

19 minutes ago, Benice said:

Oof. Feels bad. Is the screen damaged/ is it cosmetic or does it not work at all?

I can't post a picture because of the resolution size limit but basically, the screen is fried. Its all multicolor streaks and the occasional flicker to the screen. I managed to email myself the projects I was working on by minimizing the broswer to the top of the screen, but other than that, it's inoperable.

4 minutes ago, Sir Gerwald of Vallora said:

I can't post a picture because of the resolution size limit but basically, the screen is fried. Its all multicolor streaks and the occasional flicker to the screen. I managed to email myself the projects I was working on by minimizing the broswer to the top of the screen, but other than that, it's inoperable.

Oh man. I'm so sorry.

2 minutes ago, Sir Gerwald of Vallora said:

Thanks. I'm kind of panicking about what to do right now, so the sentiment is appreciated.

I do hope that things work out for you. It really sucks when things like this happen.

Finnally decided to post here! I really am to shy haha (I know I shouldn't but I really have to work on it!)

I don't have to say much about me, but my hobbies are video games, drawing, listening to FE musics (most Echoes SoV!) and Fire Emblem Cipher! But actual crisis do really make me feel anxious. Good thing that video games where there to just help me think about something other. (Thanks a lot to Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive Edition, that permite me to had some good memories that I had while I was playing this game on WII for the first time in 2017!).

I also love drawing sketches, and portraits from FE characters. I'm not the best at that, but I just have to improve myself!

Talking about Xenobalde, before make me notice that I have the theme "Time to fight" that just popped up in my mind haha! Not a relaxing music really but I just don't know why it played without stopping in my mind x)

Anyway, that's a pleasure to talk here, thanks a lot for that topic Tylwyth Teg! 

8 hours ago, Sir Gerwald of Vallora said:

Alright, this may sound a little venty, but my computer screen just broke.

Ouch 😮 Sorry to hear about this!! I hope the repairs are swifter than anticipated..

6 hours ago, FireFenrir said:

Finnally decided to post here! I really am to shy haha (I know I shouldn't but I really have to work on it!)

I don't have to say much about me, but my hobbies are video games, drawing, listening to FE musics (most Echoes SoV!) and Fire Emblem Cipher! But actual crisis do really make me feel anxious. Good thing that video games where there to just help me think about something other. (Thanks a lot to Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive Edition, that permite me to had some good memories that I had while I was playing this game on WII for the first time in 2017!).

I also love drawing sketches, and portraits from FE characters. I'm not the best at that, but I just have to improve myself!

Talking about Xenobalde, before make me notice that I have the theme "Time to fight" that just popped up in my mind haha! Not a relaxing music really but I just don't know why it played without stopping in my mind x)

Anyway, that's a pleasure to talk here, thanks a lot for that topic Tylwyth Teg! 

It's always good to meet a fellow Xenoblade fan!! I've not yet picked up the Definitive Edition, but I intend to do so at some point. I'm a little jealous of everyone else out there who is playing it!! Though it makes me happy to think of so many people playing it for the first time. It felt like such a truly special game when I played it upon its original release, and I'm sure it's lost none of that magic over time.

I'm glad you decided to post here! There is no pressure, and so no reason to worry about being shy. I hope you'll come by again in the future and update us on your gaming and drawing! 😊

Hey you (yes, YOU! Reading this right now!)

What was your favourite moment from this weekend? No matter how big or small, let us know!

My favourite moment came after I rearranged our living room, moving our couch to be next to the window. Afterwards, I opened the window and sat on the couch to play some games, and was so relaxed by the gentle cool breeze drifting over me. It felt very wonderful!!

5 hours ago, Tylwyth Teg said:

What was your favourite moment from this weekend? No matter how big or small, let us know!

Probably that time when I see Alvis on Xenoblade

Just kidding! I guess the best moment of this week end for me was just yesterday when I ran with my dog, I felt so free this time, worring about nothing. Then I played with her and pet her. Was a relaxing moment! That's nothing, but spend  time with animals is something I  really like. 

Edited by FireFenrir

19 minutes ago, FireFenrir said:

Probably that time when I see Alvis on Xenoblade

Just kidding! I guess the best moment of this week end for me was just yesterday when I ran with my dog, I felt so free this time, worring about nothing. Then I played with her and pet her. Was a relaxing moment! That's nothing, but spend  time with animals us something I  really like. 

Haha! Alvis is good! 😛

I wish I had a dog! That sounds really wonderful 😊

T'was a pretty slow weekend, but I got to go on a really nice hike! I'm really lucky to live near some mountains, even if they're pretty small. It's also kind of sad though, because usually at this time of year we drive out to the rocky mountains for the weekends to hike. Still, you can't look a gift horse in the mouth, and I am truly glad to be able to do as much outside stuff as I am.