Bad units that you still love using!

CWGameplay

Ashe and Cyril might not be the best-regarded units in the Three Houses, but I love them both and want to see them succeed in life. Only problem is that they have like, the same niches (Wyvern Lord/Bow Knight), so by the time I have to pare down my army a bit, I've ended up building them both very similarly and I have to choose one or the other.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, whase said:

Really? They're not the best units, but units like Ignatz and Caspar seem far worse to me, and even they can be used fairly easily in normal mode or NG+ hard mode.

I find Lorenz has Roy syndrome, and Raphael suffers from crippling overspecialization. In particular, the latter, despite being supposed to be the tank for the Golden Deer, is barely any more durable than the likes of Hilda starting out, and it's not like he'll get to a point where he has a notable edge in durability any time soon... and his lack of speed only makes things worse for him.

12 minutes ago, Shadow Mir said:

I find Lorenz has Roy syndrome, and Raphael suffers from crippling overspecialization. In particular, the latter, despite being supposed to be the tank for the Golden Deer, is barely any more durable than the likes of Hilda starting out, and it's not like he'll get to a point where he has a notable edge in durability any time soon... and his lack of speed only makes things worse for him.

On the flip side, he still has a use as a Guard adjuctant.

No one's really "bad" in Path of Radiance, except maybe Sothe since he can't promote, but I enjoy using Rolf despite him first appearing (as a unit) in chapter 9 at level 1. With a bit of levelling up, he ends up being extremely useful, especially in the ship chapters that are full of raven laguz. I especially enjoy having him use the enemy's ballistae against them.

In Radiant Dawn, I enjoy using Pelleas despite him being under-levelled. When properly levelled and given dark magic, especially long-range dark magic, he is basically magic artillery. I also enjoy using Micaiah as she's a very unique FE lord: a female light-magic wielding FE lord that's a Joan of Arc character is very unique, so I enjoy using her despite her having certain promotion/levelling issues. 

1 hour ago, eclipse said:

I think I axed the correct post.  If someone's stuff is missing, and shouldn't be, please let me know!

Yes!  Thank you so much.  My internet was just acting up and I accidentally double posted.

44 minutes ago, vanguard333 said:

No one's really "bad" in Path of Radiance, except maybe Sothe since he can't promote

I'd say that Sothe could be considered bad.  He's amazing at the beginning of the game, but he falls off pretty quickly, and gets stuck because of the promotion you mentioned.  Even during Endgame, he can't do much.  I still like him, though, so I try and always use him.

On 6/2/2020 at 1:51 PM, vanguard333 said:

No one's really "bad" in Path of Radiance, except maybe Sothe since he can't promote, but I enjoy using Rolf despite him first appearing (as a unit) in chapter 9 at level 1. With a bit of levelling up, he ends up being extremely useful, especially in the ship chapters that are full of raven laguz. I especially enjoy having him use the enemy's ballistae against them.

Frankly, I'd say both Sothe and Rolf could be considered bad. The former can't promote, which kills his long-term viability, and the latter is an archer in one of the worst games to be an archer in, to say nothing of him coming underleveled. The American version knocking the effective damage bonus down to double might doesn't help, either.

On 6/2/2020 at 12:50 PM, Fabulously Olivier said:

On the flip side, he still has a use as a Guard adjuctant.

Anyone can be a guard adjutant, so that's not a point in his favor. Second, guard adjutants aren't that great outside of Maddening.

Edited by Shadow Mir

19 minutes ago, CWGameplay said:

I'd say that Sothe could be considered bad.  He's amazing at the beginning of the game, but he falls off pretty quickly, and gets stuck because of the promotion you mentioned.  Even during Endgame, he can't do much.  I still like him, though, so I try and always use him.

PoR, not RD ;): 

Blazing Sword:

The axe duo, because I've been gaining a soft spot for fighters over the years due to how often they get shafted, and because the game is surprisingly lance heavy at points.

Shadow Dragon:

Pretty much everyone, given that no one is invincible, most units are competent at best and competent cannon fodder at worst.

Awakening:

Is Ricken considered bad? He's never my best magic user in the game, but he always comes out competent at worst, and a competent mage in Awakening can still do a ton of damage. While not an amazing character, I do think he is overhated in the personality department, and for the wrong reasons to boot.

Laurent is a good mage in a game filled with good mages, so it easy for him to come off as redundant. He can still become a magical nuke, however, and I've exploited his early appearance and quick support with Lucina so many times that it's become somewhat of a personal running gag. Laurent is also tied for the position of favorite Fire Emblem character in the personality department, thanks to his studious yet helpful character and manner of speech which I always love reading.

Fates (Conquest):

Arthur. I used him entirely because of his voice acting and lines, which never failed to get a smile out of me. I became a lot more appreciative of that aspect during the second half of the game, given how frustrating, if fair, I found Conquests difficulty to be. While his personal skill is more of a liability than an asset early on, the moment I promoted him into a Hero and he got a boost in skill, Arthur had a near permanent 20% chance to crit, increasing his usefulness exponentially. Arthur is also my favorite Fates character, thanks to his earnest desire to help others, steadfast attitude towards justice while not forcing his belief upon others, and how he never lets his unluckiness keep him down.

Shadows of Valentia:

I've often heard Clive be called a bad unit, but in practice I find he's pretty well rounded, and thanks to Echoes ability to deploy everyone, he can still contribute to battles. Yeah, he won't be amazing, but he's not dead weight either.

Lukas and Forsyth as knights, because I actually deploy them near the front lines, keep them moving towards the front lines, and let their high defense and strength do their job.

Three Houses:

Pretty much all the non-student characters, thanks to the optional battles being such a fun way to bring them up to speed, and because attacking monsters several levels lower than the recommended number adds a nice challenge to the game without having to play on Maddening.

Is Micaiah considered a bad unit? Because I find her very very fun to use. 

I also use other "bad" units, but I for the life of me can't seem to name them right now? 

1 hour ago, ping said:

PoR, not RD ;): 

My bad, sorry!

1 hour ago, Hawkwing said:

Pretty much all the non-student characters, thanks to the optional battles being such a fun way to bring them up to speed, and because attacking monsters several levels lower than the recommended number adds a nice challenge to the game without having to play on Maddening.

I mean, Catherine is pretty amazing and Maneula has a good spell list.  Shamir's not too bad, but Hanneman and Alois are definitely a bit lacking compared to a lot of the students you have.

8 hours ago, whase said:

Really? They're not the best units, but units like Ignatz and Caspar seem far worse to me, and even they can be used fairly easily in normal mode or NG+ hard mode.

Caspar? I can understand. But I feel like Ignatz needs some love. He gets beated because his offensive are pretty bad, and...well, they are, but what I'm trying to say is that he does other things better. Specially Dodge Tanking and Debuffing/Buffing. Dodge Tanking mainly because his Spd/Lck can get really high and Debuffing/Buffing because his P.Skill (for hitting debuffs) + Rallies + Debuff Skills (either Combat Art or Seal Skills) can make him into a great support unit, which should be pretty useful on higher difficulties. His recruitment is also pretty easy, I guess.

I wanna say Wil, but here’s the thing: I’ve played FE7 twice now, and he’s turned out amazing in both of them- and I barely gave him any stat boosters. Heck, in the second one I wasn’t even gonna use him because he dominated my first run, but he capped strength as a level 5 sniper, so he was allowed back. Anyway, I know he’s bad, objectively speaking, but I cannot in good conscience call him that. I’d be betraying his trust. And his abnormally high strength stat.

I also consistently use Cyril, Ashe, Ricken, Stahl, Luthier (? Is he bad?), and Atlas.

EDIT: Found a photo I took of Wil:

D2FF539C-A921-4E7F-AFFA-3EF4EC701035.jpeg
His final stats were higher, obviously, but apparently his strength is 7 points above average, so I figured I’d put the photo of him at this point.

Edited by Anathaco

I've used Sophia in every playthrough of FE6.  She sees zero use in her debut chapter, but in 16x I give her every stat booster I've obtained until that point.  Then almost every kill goes to her from behind the safety of three of whoever has the highest def at that point, all the way up to Lv 20, and then I use the Guiding Ring she obtained previously.  It usually takes an extra hour and a half each playthrough and 5 Flux tomes to do this, but I don't mind much.
I don't know if I'd call Raigh "bad" but I quite enjoy using him as well, dark magic users tend to be my favourites and I don't mind having 3 Druids in the later chapters.

I use Nino in FE7 often, she's kind of hard to pass up as she's one of my favourite characters in FE7, and I like having her with Canas more than anything.

In FE8, it's Amelia.  It's really fun to have a General with as high of speed as hers, though levelling her initially can be more painful than Sophia if you aren't using the tower to catch her up with the rest, since she often does 0 damage to many enemies.  Though on my recent hard mode playthrough I did manage to do it, it took her debut chapter and the next to get her to Knight, and then she became a General in chapter 16.  
I naturally also enjoy using Ewan (though not as much) since trainees are fun, though I don't consider Ross bad so he isn't included.

5 hours ago, Sayyyaka said:

I don't consider Ross bad so he isn't included.

I think Ross is very much pretty bad just by virtue of having super low bases, and he still gets one-rounded by almost every enemy in his join chapter, but he is the best of the trainees thanks to joining at a time where it's easier to train him. Although you could argue that Ewan's 1-2 range does make him safe but then again, Ross also has the Hatchet.

10 hours ago, Koops said:

I think Ross is very much pretty bad just by virtue of having super low bases, and he still gets one-rounded by almost every enemy in his join chapter, but he is the best of the trainees thanks to joining at a time where it's easier to train him. Although you could argue that Ewan's 1-2 range does make him safe but then again, Ross also has the Hatchet.

I feel like the Hatchet being able to contribute chip damage, which for him gets him like 30 exp per hit, and how easy it can be to set up kills for him makes him at the very least okay in a standard playthrough even with minimal babying.  I wouldn't call him good of course, but if you want a Pirate, you've got one right there that isn't all that difficult to train up.  But I can see him being pretty bad in more efficient or 0% growth runs for obvious reasons.  Compared to others I've trained without grinding though, he's a breeze to level up.  He's really lucky to have such an early join time.

16 hours ago, Sayyyaka said:

I don't consider Ross bad so he isn't included

As someone who always uses every trainee, I think Ross is bad, he's just the least bad and most feasible to use. Ross isn't THAT hard to use, but he dies really quick, so you have to be careful where you put him. He eventually becomes (probably, since it's a better class) a pirate, where his stats will likely be near base Garcia, but you have to get him there. His CON also is really bad and until he gets his T1 promotion, it's the only thing he can really use and it's actually not that great aside from accuracy; the low might is fine for training but quickly becomes too low for him to do big damage.

There are very good spots to train Ross safely without tower grinding, unlike Amelia and Ewan; chapter 3 has tons of walls for him to hide behind, chapter 4 has weak sauce enemies. So no, I'd say that Ross isn't horrible, but he's certainly not good.

Off topic, in a remake, I'd keep the trainees as-is, (except buffing their growths a little) but I'd give them all some kind of prf that makes training them feasible.

Edited by Benice

• 4 weeks later...

There are two Units I'd like to mention here, although there are probably many more Units I regularly use, that could be declard bad.

1) Pelleas. It takes way to much effort to get him, and then you'll have to invest realy much, for him to get somewhat mediocre. But still, everytime I get my hands on him, he will be a part of my team. 

2) Hugh. He is realy realy expensive, for the little he brings to the table but I'd train him anytime.

Edited by Sir Orson

I have a few.

FE3 Book 1: Macellan. This bald thiccboi joined the party in Chapter 12 of Shadow Dragon (AKA chapter 10 of Mystery), and I've gotta tell you, of the three knights, he's typically considered to be the worst. Draug has availability on his side, and Dolph has slightly better growths. In my Mystery of the Emblem: Book 1 playthrough, though, I decided to Ironman until I lost Marth the first time. Which, incidentally, resulted in Macellan being the last knight standing. Cue him becoming a literal DEATH GOD that effectively walled out all of the reinforcements on Camus' map almost soloed Michalis' map (although I had to sacrifice Linde to take out the Macedon King himself). To this day, despite having basically no personality, he's my favorite armored unit in the Archanea games.

FE7: Serra. Staff users aren't usually considered bad, but Serra has almost no time to shine thanks to the objectively better Priscilla joining just three and a half maps later. Granted, Serra gets LM bonuses, but most players will honestly never consider bringing her over Priscilla. I prefer Serra, though, and for a couple of reasons. One, she has a personality, even if it is pretty annoying. And two, I kinda like using suboptimal units. While units like Marcus, Sain and Florina always end up on my team, there are several variables as to who the rest are- and one of them ALWAYS ends up being someone who doesn't really chip in as much as the rest- units like Dorcas, or Wil, or, in this case, Serra. Once I got her able to use Aureola just for the sake of it. That's dedication.

Also in FE7, Eliwood! Being a swordlocked infantry, with shaky growths, that HAS TO BE DEPLOYED on multiple maps even when he ISN'T the main character is pretty much every sign of a bad unit. What Eliwood normally lacks, though, he took by the reins sometime last year. Granted, my last two Eliwoods weren't too great. But I used them anyway, solely because of my profound memories of Eligod and his stat spread.

FE8: I don't care what people say, I don't care what taboos are on the Tower of Valni, I don't care how mad people get that I do it, but screw it, I'm using Amelia and you can't stop me.

FE14: I wouldn't say most of the units in this game are objectively bad, but Setsuna... Holy frick, did the devs screw her over. Even harder in Revalation. Yet during my run of that game, she somehow became the second most potent archer I've ever used (the strongest, of course, being Takumi). It's kinda weird, but at the same time it's refreshing.

FE15: Est. Oh, god, Est. Easily the worst of the Whitewings in all of the games she appears in, she easily creates a "use me now or use me never" situation. In Echoes it's less of an issue since you bring your whole party to almost every map (unless you bought the DLC) but in the Archanea games, she pulled her weight rather poorly for me. You can guess she'd be terrible for me to train in Echoes. Nope! Somehow turned out not just amazing, but the best of my Falcon Knights. I was Triangle Attacking, WITH HER INITIATING AT LEAST ONCE, on a multiple per turn basis. Heck, Palla got killed on the LAST MAP of Duma's Tower, meaning I couldn't exactly do that anymore, Est seemed to not just take up her sister's work, but absolutely avenged her by critting the last two enemies on the map IN A ROW. Granted, Est is probably one of the worst characters on this list, but freaking still.

Side note: I can bring up Macellan and Eliwood's endgame stats, if you guys want.

Edited by GlitchWarrior

This list is gonna be a lot of "investment" characters who don't have the benefit of joining early enough in the game or being a Three Houses student character, but...

First off, name any Est or trainee-type character. Odds are I love using them, so I won't mention them here unless I feel they're a special case within that trend in terms of how much I like them.

To start things off, Roshea is easily one of my top three favorite Archanean Cavaliers alongside Hardin and Cain, so I always use him even though he's really not that great in FE1 or 11. Actually... does Cain count? I know none of the four Cavaliers/Paladins from Marth's starting posse are actively bad, but Cain's the one who gets stuck with the E in Lances while the other three all have the ability to use Javelins right out of the gate. Granted, this is moot in FE1/3 due to how weapon proficiency works in those games, but in FE11, I mean.

While I'm on the topic of Archanea... what is the consensus on Roger, anyway? I genuinely just never hear him talked about as a unit at all, although he's my go-to Knight for every Archanea game he's in, if he counts. From the same chapter, Radd's pretty rad. Really I just like his design, though I'm fully aware that he's probably the worst infantry sword unit in FE1/11.

Atlas is easily my favorite Valentian Villager, design-wise, and I always make a point to use him, even though I know he's not that great. Mercenary is kind of the obvious choice for him, but I find he makes a really fun Mage, too. He's great at healing and just completely blowing things up from afar thanks to FE2/15 classifying Strength and Magic as one stat, although he does want for accuracy a little bit. On the topic of Celica's route, Sonya is I guess inferior to Deen as a unit, at least for the purposes of Celica's route? I don't really care about that, though; I just like her so much more as a character, honestly. Plus, Mage Navarre.

All the usual suspects for Binding Blade. You know, Wendy, Sophia, Wolt, Dorothy... What can I say? I just like 'em! Lot too, actually.

It is a time-honored tradition for me, during any Blazing Blade playthrough, to promote Nino from level 20. Is her performance as a unit worth the effort? Not remotely! But it's just fun to do for me. I actually... don't know what the popular assessments of Blazing Blade units are besides a few of them. Do people still consider Lyn bad? I like using her, although I realize she's a special-ish case on account of being a Lord and all.

Pretty sure nobody in Sacred Stones is actually bad who isn't already covered by the first three sentences of this post.

I say this having not actually properly played the Tellius games in a while, or at all in the case of Radiant Dawn, but I am determined to use Meg, Fiona, and Leonardo in FE10, motivated largely by sheer force of love for their designs. Do people consider Nephenee bad in Path of Radiance? I know she ends up solid with enough training but I dunno what the current consensus is on whether or not that's worth the effort.
Oh wait! Rolf! Rolf's another character in Path of Radiance who's like, objectively-terrible as a unit but who I still always use.

For Awakening, I'm gonna second Virion and say that I love to use Donnel, too. I like both of their characters, and in Donnel's case, I'm a sucker for the sheer novelty of unique classes in FE, even if those classes are bad. I'm... pretty sure the Villager class is weaker than Soldiers, actually, in terms of caps, but that's not quite on topic.

Gonna have to pass on talking about Fates and Three Houses since I have very little concept of who is and isn't considered good in them beyond general principles carried over from other installments, so I guess that's it!

Pegasus Rider Faye.

Yeah I know Cleric Faye is technically better but I'll always take a flying unit in a game if possible, admittingly she got a bit tanky and I put some defense stat boosts on her so she ended up a 20 defense Pegasus Knight which came in handy occasionally.