Iconic/Favorite Video Game Trailers?

indigoasis

I've gotten back into TF2 lately, and I was rewatching the Mann VS. Machine trailer for the game, and it got me thinking how much I love that trailer. To me, it's a pretty iconic trailer. Maybe not as iconic as others, but that leads me to ask you guys: What are your favorite video game trailers? What are iconic video game trailers that you think more people should see? Favorite iconic video game trailers? The list goes on. 

I already mentioned it, but here's my favorite.

Somewhat predictable, perhaps, but I still think that the best trailer I've ever seen is this trailer for Breath of the Wild. I remember exactly how I felt when first watching it (and even after playing the game it still blows me away)

The moment the music changes after the "100 years ago" line is just... wow. That music, combined with the fast cuts of all the story events (especially the Zelda content) took my breath away and filled my eyes with tears. Based on this trailer, I thought I was in for the story-driven Zelda adventure of a lifetime. It really seemed like it would be a journey that Link and Zelda went through TOGETHER, and I was sick with excitement.

Little did I know that 99% of Zelda/Link story content would be told through flashbacks and that in practice I would find it completely underwhelming... But the game was incredible other than that.

The Breath of the Wild 2 trailer fills me with a similar excitement, but also leaves me absolutely terrified haha. I'll reserve judgement on that trailer until I actually play the game someday 😉

Edit: How do you embed videos? I tried and failed spectacularly.

Edited by Tylwyth Teg

24 minutes ago, Tylwyth Teg said:

Somewhat predictable, perhaps, but I still think that the best trailer I've ever seen is this trailer for Breath of the Wild. I remember exactly how I felt when first watching it (and even after playing the game it still blows me away)

The moment the music changes after the "100 years ago" line is just... wow. That music, combined with the fast cuts of all the story events (especially the Zelda content) took my breath away and filled my eyes with tears. Based on this trailer, I thought I was in for the story-driven Zelda adventure of a lifetime. It really seemed like it would be a journey that Link and Zelda went through TOGETHER, and I was sick with excitement.

Little did I know that 99% of Zelda/Link story content would be told through flashbacks and that in practice I would find it completely underwhelming... But the game was incredible other than that.

The Breath of the Wild 2 trailer fills me with a similar excitement, but also leaves me absolutely terrified haha. I'll reserve judgement on that trailer until I actually play the game someday 😉

You somehow managed to post the exact trailers I had in mind before I had a chance to! I totally agree with you! In addition, i'd like to add the first trailer of Xenoblade Chronicles 2. It filled me with so much excitement, since 1 was so good.

For me, it was impossible to compete with these:

Spoiler

Mega Man is still my all-time favorite franchise, and I loved using him in Super Smash Flash 2 before this dropped. Seeing him here was honestly the day Smash 4 became the most hype I'd ever been for a game - it was still more hype than Ultimate on this trailer alone.

I used to watch my dad play Punch-Out on his computer when I was little, but it'd been a very long time, so when this started I was like 'wait, who could this - did that arcade machine say...no. No way. NO WAY NO WAY OH HECK YEAH LIL' MAC LIL' MAC!!!!' Even though he's the spammiest character in the game and I don't really use him any more, I still love how swag he looks in that hoodie and his music is some of my low-key favorite in Smash Bros.

26 minutes ago, Tylwyth Teg said:

How do you embed videos? I tried and failed spectacularly.

What I've always done is just pasted the link directly into the type box, usually inside a Spoiler to conserve space.

53 minutes ago, Michelaar said:

You somehow managed to post the exact trailers I had in mind before I had a chance to! I totally agree with you! In addition, i'd like to add the first trailer of Xenoblade Chronicles 2. It filled me with so much excitement, since 1 was so good.

Yeah, the Xenoblade Chronicles 2 trailer was a good one! (And that game really delivered. I had a blast playing it!)

To quote a great man:

1 hour ago, Tylwyth Teg said:

I usually don't watch game trailers, but hooo boy, did those two get my attention.

Usually it works if you just copy-paste the youtube link.

Spoiler

22 minutes ago, Sir Wolfram of Vallora said:

Bungie games, for me at least, have always had the most inspirational and iconic trailers ever. I get goosebumps just rewatching these things.

Personally I think the Halo 3 Teaser from E3 2006 was one of the most hype trailers I had ever seen, even if I wouldn't get a 360 till nearly a decade later. Seriously that music and especially the end with the "3" in the O, "Bungie", and "Finish the Fight! 2007"; it still gives me goosebumps just thinking about it.

Spoiler

Believe it or not, for the huge disappointment that Four Houses was for me, I really liked its trailer. I absolutely loved that mix of the main theme, and remember looking for covers on YouTube for months. The trailer got me so excited about the game that I decided not to watch or read any previews or early information; I wanted to experience it all by myself.

In the end, I did not like the game at all, and what is worse: the mix used in the trailer was not even the main theme! 🙃

That's really hard for me to say, I'm a big fan of the Assassin's Creed games, and a lot of the time the trailer ends up being better than the game

While it's not my favorite game in the series, and Revelations's was an in game cutsceen my favorite is tied between AC3 and Unity

In terms of iconic trailers, the first Super Smash Bros. Ultimate trailer from 2018 where they revealed that "EVERYONE IS HERE!" was a borderline magical moment for me. At the time I wasn't planning on buy a Switch and just enjoying what I had because I was starting college soon, but after this trailer I threw those plans straight out the window. No regrets.

Spoiler

As for my favorite trailer, that would have to go to the launch trailer for the Capcom Beat 'Em Up Bundle. Most people probably haven't seen it because it wasn't apart of a big announcement live stream, but it has to be one of the funniest trailers for a video game ever made. Don't believe me? Give it a watch.

Spoiler

I would also like to give two honorable mentions. The first is a trailer for Xenoblade Chronicles X from way back in 2013 when it was still under the working title X. I had never heard about this game before finding this trailer, but it left me so endlessly intrigued that I couldn't stop watching it. The other trailer I would like to highlight is the EVO 2019 reveal trailer for Guilty Gear Strive which had me cheering for joy seeing Sol and Ky somehow looking even better than they did in Guilty Gear Xrd and hearing that kickass banger of a theme song.

Spoiler

10 minutes ago, TheGoodHoms said:

In terms of iconic trailers, the first Super Smash Bros. Ultimate trailer from 2018 where they revealed that "EVERYONE IS HERE!" was a borderline magical moment for me. At the time I wasn't planning on buy a Switch and just enjoying what I had because I was starting college soon, but after this trailer I threw those plans straight out the window. No regrets.

dude, I remember talking about that prerelease on the forums

I remember all the discussions on who was going to get cut

that was a really fun ride