CYOA: The Dying Kingdom

DragonFlames

Hello and welcome to this choose your own adventure!
Current participation in the one made by Shrimperor (check it out, it's great!) has made me want to do one of these myself, so here we are!

This is set in the same world the story/novel I'm currently working on. Don't worry, however, I promise you, you won't feel lost at any point (since this particular one more or less started out as an idea for a Fire Emblem game, with shades of an FE Fates Conquest rewrite). I just thought it would be fun to do something "original", so everyone is on the same page.

This will work the same way as the Teehee CYOA by Shrimperor (hope you don't mind), because that format is the most convenient for something like this: at the end of each chapter, I'll give you a few choices you can vote for and what gets the most votes is what I will go with going forward.

CYOA: The Dying Kingdom: Introduction

You are Princess Sophia of the Kingdom of Vales (pronounced Vah-less, thus not to be confused with the real world Wales).
Said Kingdom has been in a decline these last few years. The harvests have gotten worse each year, the people are on edge, and a rebellion is brewing. Not to mention there are rumors of invasion from other nations, who would do so to take advantage of the kingdom's weakness. In short: Things are bad.
Your task is to solve the mystery behind the decline, and to douse the flames of rebellion before they can consume your homeland.

Let me know what you think, if this interests you and together, we can hopefully make a fun and entertaining story.
And if you were wondering: this is not the story I am writing for my novel. This CYOA is actually the resurrection (and hopefully evolution) of an idea I scrapped, because it was too similar to FE. I figured since this is an FE Forum, I might as well use this as a compromise of sorts.

Chapter Navigation:
Chapter 1: Dawn
Chapter 2: A talk with Melissa
Chapter 2x: The determination of a prince
Chapter 3: Mission
Chapter 4: Stories of the Founder
Chapter 5: Investigation
Chapter 6: Secret Schemes
Chapter 7: Underground Hideout
Chapter 8: Rescue
Chapter 9: Together we fight
Chapter 10: Aftermath
Chapter 10x: A mercenary's oath
Chapter 11: Rebellion
Chapter 12: Dragons of the skies
Chapter 13: Spy
Chapter 14: Forbidden Spells
Chapter 15: Diversion
Chapter 15x: The past that haunts

Edited by DragonFlames

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

33 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

Female bow lord go go!

Claude with boobs?

30 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

And good luck 😄

Thank you!

30 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

Also, since this seems to be more serious than mine (even if mine turned serious after like, 3 chapters tops), why not post it in written works instead?

I could, but I feel like this CYOA format fits the forum games more. I'll leave that up to mod discretion, however.

Another one, eh. It does have an interesting premise.

Say, were the choices of weapons really all physical? Does the setting has no magic or it's simply not gonna be used by the protagonist?

2 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Say, were the choices of weapons really all physical? Does the setting has no magic or it's simply not gonna be used by the protagonist?

I did consider putting magic in with the other options, but decided against it. I figured it'd be easier to build the world by having the protagonist have a physical weapon: that way, I can slowly introduce the way magic works if a user of it arrives, and readers can learn how it works alongside the protagonist (since I'll be writing this in a second person perspective).
At least, that was my thought process behind it.

Maybe there can be an opportunity for the protagonist to learn some magic later down the line, though. I'll write this down for consideration. Thanks for the impulse!

1 minute ago, Shrimperor said:

👍 Not bad. The person who drew this is quite skilled.
Also, how did I not anticipate that someone already did that?

Nah, I'll leave it here for now.  If your writing gets serious, let me know and I'll move it.

That being said, we're making Cassius, even if we have no clue how many siblings he had!

3 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

Although who says one can't do both?

Tellius magic users certainly do not.

... actually, as almost seldom useful that it was, FE should do that again. Let them smack people up with their staffs. It was if anything very amusing and hilarious to watch.

4 minutes ago, eclipse said:

Nah, I'll leave it here for now.  If your writing gets serious, let me know and I'll move it.

That being said, we're making Cassius, even if we have no clue how many siblings he had!

Got it! Thank you!

1 minute ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Tellius magic users certainly do not.

... actually, as almost seldom useful that it was, FE should do that again. Let them smack people up with their staffs. It was if anything very amusing and hilarious to watch.

Definitely!
I had one Radiant Dawn run where Micaiah got staff-critted to death in 1-E. It was both hilarious and sad.

6 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

It was supposed to be more of a "I'mma beat you up" staff than heal staff, though. Although who says one can't do both?

EL GASP.

Well, I'll stick with my vote

1 minute ago, Benice said:

EL GASP.

Well, I'll stick with my vote

I can only shake my head at my own incompetence...

A question: will the votes disappear if I just change the text of one answer?

Edited by DragonFlames

1 minute ago, DragonFlames said:

A question: will the votes disappear if I just change the text of one answer?

Edited just now by DragonFlames

I don't think so.

You know, at the end of it, I think it would've been interesting if it really was a Healing Staff. Makes the struggle feel more daunting if the protagonist has to rely more on their allies pulling most of the weight, though at the same they aren't without able to contribute. Thus, rely more on, say, their skills of leadership and stuff like that.

2 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

You know, at the end of it, I think it would've been interesting if it really was a Healing Staff. Makes the struggle feel more daunting if the protagonist has to rely more on their allies pulling most of the weight, though at the same they aren't without able to contribute. Thus, rely more on, say, their skills of leadership and stuff like that.

Reminds me of what Chrom says to Brady in his paralogue:

"And anyone with eyes knows there's more to combat that swinging a blade around. You fight in your own way. Am I wrong?"

1 minute ago, Benice said:

I don't think so.

Got it, thank you!

1 minute ago, Acacia Sgt said:

True enough, I suppose.

Just now, Shrimperor said:

Estelle Bright aka. Bestelle aka. Best Protag ever aka. Best fictional Character in existence.

Should I know what franchise she's from?

And best protagonist is Gillius. From some really obscure sega game. That I haven't played.

QxED5ZC.png

Just now, Shrimperor said:

should've went with Stick

EXRUYX3WAAQ93Z6.jpg

Yeah, probably. XD
No matter. We'll make it through this somehow.

I think I have a solution in mind should the staff option win out in the end.
So don't give up on me just yet! I won't blame you if any of you have, though.