8 hours ago, JubileePhoenix said:

I just see people as people. 

This is the ideal to live up to, and it isn't an easy one.  It takes self awareness when you are generalizing groups or suddenly coming up to assumptions to a new person based on their gender, race, sexuality, religion, or anything else.  I'm very much disturbed when I think about it, what assumptions jump to me and those need to be examined and squashed down.

On 6/2/2020 at 9:14 PM, Shoblongoo said:

Labels:  Good
Arbitrary Labels: Bad 

("arbitrary" being the bad part; not "label")
______

Labels without arbitrariness are just descriptions. 

That is true and i fully agree with this assessment, i will go back to this further down.

@eclipse makes a decent point, you can look at a <concept> and interpret different things from it, the apple can be a sweet sour fruit, an applejam-requirement or a metaphorical interpretation of some sort, each perceptions valid depending on the context, all categorized under "apple", which the <concept>s name is.

At the conception/discovery of a <concept> a name has to be assigned to it, this goes in this way: If we don't have a preexisting attribute to derive from, we assign an unused word to the <concept x> like "beelo"; If we DO have a preexisting attribute to assign to the <new concept y> we use a derivative of the attribute it possesses, <concept y> possesses traits of <concept x>, so it makes sense, to call <concept y> beelolike.

In that way assigning labels to the <concepts> is not at all arbitrary but instead a necessity, since we need descriptions or even just names to describe the essence of a thing to make it tangible; once assigned towards the concept, it is on us to use it properly.

This works normally for <concept>s but i think this becomes completely unreasonable for more complex topics ir when discussing individuals, unless every possible perception is accounted for.

If you don't have a consensus on what an action's or what an individuals "essence" is before labeling them, you will not agree in the use of it, which leads to division.

Labeling something with <arbitrary label>, when a party doesn't agree, will lead to them acting dismissingly towards the labeling, their perception and the use of the label don't overlap, the labeling becomes "arbitrary".

I have a solution for that though:

0: Pay attention to your environment: often, the more different the environment is, the more different the language they use is, inquire accordingly to prevent misunderstandings

1: Use terms the environment would agree with, in the case in which those terms can lead to division because individuals percieve differently what is meant, explicitly define what you mean, to make sure you are not being misinterpreted.

2: If you label <concepts>, always state your reason, so it does not seem arbitrary, you allow individuals, who would otherwise not agree with you, to agree with you because you have vocalized what might seem initially ignorant.

3: Don't deliberately misinterpret labels because of your perception, what individuals say might seem unreasonable but they might be using language differently, instead ask them what and why they mean before prejudice, they might have a reason for using language the way they do.

4: Don't use labels the environment doesn't agree with, especially when explicity stated not to: it will discredit you, instead ask "what label would be better than X for expressing Y" before you risk being unfavorably viewed and being mislabeled yourself; if you are not sure, asking in doubt will not hurt you, unless the environment is hostile or your question is.

5: If there are individuals who mislabel and continue to do so even after warning, either keep an eye on them, or leave the environment, they might have an ulterior motive.

I think this thread has raised good points.

thanks for this massively useless post about how we should all just be better and conform to this robotic and frankly crapass norm you've posited

furthermore: fuck off

On 6/12/2020 at 6:56 PM, Integrity said:

thanks for this massively useless post about how we should all just be better and conform to this robotic and frankly crapass norm you've posited

furthermore: fuck off

In a several way, what that guy said does  makes sense. Although it also means that it'll make life an living hell for those who are learning a new language.

1 minute ago, Armchair General said:

In a several way, what that guy said does  makes sense. Although it also means that it'll make life an living hell for those who are learning a new language.

It's like you responded to this without reading the rest of the topic.  Please take the time to read everything first.

29 minutes ago, eclipse said:

It's like you responded to this without reading the rest of the topic.  Please take the time to read everything first.

OP was asking why do people "label" stuff and people . Things were quickly pointed at the alt-right works, but that died out. Then it shifted to how new terms are invented and how quickly their meaning or cultural association changes. And now OP is saying that labels were created as an convenient means of identifying stuff. But at least they admit on how divisive certain terms can be. After that, it's essentially a guide for politely identifying stuff...Until you get to the part where it says that you need to watch those who don't comform, which I think is kind of weird and inconsiderate.

Just now, Armchair General said:

OP was asking why do people "label" stuff and people . Things were quickly pointed at the alt-right works, but that died out. Then it shifted to how new terms are invented and how quickly their meaning or cultural association changes. And now OP is saying that labels were created as an convenient means of identifying stuff. But at least they admit on how divisive certain terms can be. After that, it's essentially a guide for politely identifying stuff...Until you get to the part where it says that you need to watch those who don't comform, which I think is kind of weird and inconsiderate.

The fact that this question was even asked should be a giant red flag.  And if you're wondering why it died it's because I suspended him during that time for an unrelated matter.

7 minutes ago, Armchair General said:

Well, it kind of is one, given the rioting that's been going in the States, lately...among other things.

The riots are about police/race, last i checked.  The General Politics thread has more context, but I'll warn you that it's not pretty.

The comments section in my local newspaper would be a more apt comparison, but I try not to think too hard about them.  I don't like being eternally disappointed.

EDIT: That should be one post now, if it isn't, sorry.  Forum software's being wacky.

Edited by eclipse

6 minutes ago, eclipse said:

The riots are about police/race, last i checked.  The General Politics thread has more context, but I'll warn you that it's not pretty.

Yeah, I know what happened. It's just that things are getting an little bit out of hand by both the public and certain cities.

Just now, Armchair General said:

Yeah, I know what happened. It's just that things are getting an little bit out of hand by both the public and certain cities.

No, I mean why this entire topic shouldn't have been made in the first place.

1 minute ago, Armchair General said:

It might be a trend, but I'm not in the mood for pointing fingers.

That's fair.  Just understand that there might be a reason why reactions seem to be overly harsh.  If you really object to it, it's best to do some digging first.  If not. . .eh, that's fine, but it might be better to keep silent or raise the issue via PM instead.

The question has been asked to the OP in a different thread, and it bears asking again and again until he makes a response:

Do you smell your own farts

8 hours ago, Karimlan said:

The question has been asked to the OP in a different thread, and it bears asking again and again until he makes a response:

I banned him, so that probably won't happen.