Sega announces the "Game Gear Micro"

King Marth 64

Which color are you possibly getting incase if they announce it for the West or getting imported?  

8 members have voted

1. 1. Color Choices:

• Black
    • Blue
    • Red
    • Yellow
    • Haven't decided yet
    • Planning on getting more than 1 color Game Gear Micro

Well then, it looks like Sega managed to made a first Micro Handheld System for the Mini Console series called the Game Gear Micro. By the way, they did showed in the trailer that all 4 colors (Black, Blue, Yellow and Red) have different games for each system making as 16 Games of right now. There's also an accessory that you can attach the Game Gear Micro to see the tiny screen that is called the "Big Window Micro". They just announced it in Japan but they haven't currently officially announced for the West as of right now.

Edited by King Marth 64

Is this a cute idea? Yes. Is it practical? Hell no, that screen is the size of a stamp. The fact they're making a specific attachment to allow you to actually see the screen is extremely telling.

It's also incredibly scummy to just include 4 games on each system. Why not just include all 16 on one console? What if I want the yellow one, but the only one in stock is the blue one? This product is absurd. Frankly they should've just updated the GameGear look to be a more modern handheld design, with something that I can actually hold with both of my hands and not something I could easily lose in the bottom of a backpack. 

If this comes over to America, I hope they revamp this and at the very least have it so every game is included on the same console. If they included the Big Window attachment (Or just had it so we don't need a big window attachment and the screen is that size already), that'd be even better. If any of that happens, presuming we even get it in the first place, honestly I'd be down to grab one.

1 hour ago, DarthR0xas said:

Hell no, that screen is the size of a stamp.

It's authentic, if nothing else lol. Handheld gaming was very close to the face back then.

I don't really know any good game gear games. Shining Force Gaiden 1 and 2 would be hype, but unlikely due to it never being released outside japan. Technically we did get the shining force gaiden games, in the form of a 1+2 remake on the Sega CD, called Shining Force CD. Basically "mystery of the emblem". I'm also vaguely aware of Royal Stone as a favorite of jrpg enthusiasts, but it has the same issue - never been localized. So I wouldn't expect to see these games if the game gear mini did make it offshore.

Edit: Maybe Crystal Warriors, that's a Fire Emblem-esque Game Gear game that got localized. Oh, google tells me that one's actually on the 3DS virtual console. Yoink.

Edited by Glennstavos

I manage to take a look at the Game List for the Game Gear Micro. Was the Japanese Exclusive Game Gear Games for all the Models was 9 Japan-only Game Gear games, correct or was it close enough? (I don't have a Game Gear system, so it's hard to tell from the list.)

Black Model

• Sonic the Hedgehog (8-bit)
  • Puyo Puyo 2
  • Out Run
  • Royal Stone

Blue Model

• Sonic Chaos
  • Gunstar Heroes
  • Sylvan Tale
  • Baku Baku Animal

Yellow Model

• Shining Force Gaiden
  • Shining Force: The Sword of Hajya
  • Shining Force Gaiden: Final Conflict
  • Nazo Puyo: Aruru no Ru

Red Model

• Revelations: The Demon Slayer
  • Megami Tensei Gaiden: Last Bible Special
  • The G.G. Shinobi
  • Columns
Edited by King Marth 64

I'd take the red one for some MegaTen action but I doubt we will get the same set of games in the west (LB Special wasn't localized iirc). 

Only time I played some GG titles was on 3DS' VIrtual Console and let's say the Game Gear's library there was... not amazing 😜 
Anyway, I like these kind of gadgets so if SEGA brings them over to EU I might get one just for the sake of collecting. 

Black or blue for Sonic, I'm not particularly hyped for it though. I mean, sure, they look cool and the idea of a small handheld console with classic games is kinda good, but this "different colour = different games" system just kills the whole concept for me. Like, if you want to play Sonic and Sonic&Tails you would need to buy and bring two consoles with you. I'd much rather just get a Gameboy Micro, that way I'd only need to bring cartridges with me, which is arguably more practical than bringing multiple consoles... But even if it wasn't the situation, the small screen makes it impossible for me to use it anyways, I don't want to ruin my eyesight any more than it already is 😅

7 hours ago, know_naim said:

Only time I played some GG titles was on 3DS' VIrtual Console and let's say the Game Gear's library there was... not amazing 😜 

Is that what the GG stood for in GG Super Hero Ogre? That game's legit, you telling me SEGA was the one who gave us that?