Let's Play Tactics Ogre TKOL: Death of the Archer

Route Split  

8 members have voted

1. 1. Which route do we take

• Route A (Cybil)
    • Route B (Rictor)

We'll be closing out the game's first chapter today, as well as chatting with Eleanor's mermaid-mom and figuring out where that magic weapon everyone wants has been stashed.

Part 13 (Aquila-Formido):

Spoiler

uuxw2u9.png?1

Among his many other talents, Alphonse is able to tell that the green scales this mermaid has were the game's attempt to render gold.

2AboIkE.png?1

It probably would've been easier if she hadn't taken us through an active volcano.

Alphonse: "...Tell me. Are you really Eleanor's mother?"

DkyX3bx.png?1x9Zfs1l.png?1

Mere moments after the shock reveal that Eleanor is part-mermaid, it's revealed that she's actually not. Didn't really get to stew on that information for long, huh?

lWlLnMz.png?1

I guess, at least, it's a revelation for Eleanor.

VlCVuUl.png?133GVCwq.png?1

Berevra: "But, he was still a human, an enemy of the mermaids. I feared for his life, so I took the Sacred Spear in hopes of ending the war...I sacrificed many mermaid lives by doing so. Back then, passion overruled my reasoning. I abandoned the home of mermaids and lived secretly with my love, Lucius.

QSuZdt9.png?1

Should've fallen for one of those birdboys, they live a lot longer.

Berevra: "The lifespan of humans is much shorter than ours. After his death, I left that place, taking the Sacred Spear with me. It was too difficult for me to remain in a place that reminded me of him. ...However, since I had betrayed my kind, I didn't have anywhere to go. I lacked even the courage to take my own life. I wandered the eastern sea, searching for a way to repent. For the last few hundred years, I have lived here alone."

j6u1Kkt.png?1

Yeah, it's a real bummer of a story.

Berevra: "About 10 years ago, soldiers landed on the south side of this island. They surrounded a nearby town and burned it down. While I watched from the ocean, I heard crying...I found a newborn baby wrapped in a blanket."

P4Fp5JS.png?1

I think the game may have accidentally implied Eleanor is 10 years old. Do just a tiny bit of math next time, writers!

Berevra: "Holding you in my arms...You were so adorable... But, I was afraid that she wouldn't be able to adjust in society if I raised her. I knew I couldn't keep her, so I asked a couple in a northern village to look after her."

Eleanor: "I don't remember well...but the scent of the ocean and the crashing of the waves...When I saw you at the beach by the village, you seemed so familiar..."

Berevra: "I didn't think you'd remember me since you were so small. I used to hold you and watch the dawn from Aquila Beach. Eleanor, I'm sorry you had such a hard life."

Eleanor: "...Don't be. My step-parents in Sotavento treated me very well. Thank you, Berevra..."

Berevra: "Eleanor told me that you're looking for the Sacred Spear. I've also heard that this island's had many visitors recently. Can you tell me why you're looking for it?"

as4ex92.png?1

While this answer doesn't have an immediate effect, it's important to a later event with Eleanor. Option B is the correct choice.

KrR2I1F.png?1

Alphonse: "...someone whom I have a lot of faith in...Many people are fighting to gain control of the spear. For that reason, the lives of this island's inhabitants have been threatened. I can't let anyone have it. I promised to bring the spear back to Galius before its power can be abused."

BT2BATl.png?1

Berevra: Since you saved Eleanor, I'll entrust the spear to you. Please don't misuse it."

Alphonse: "I promise not to, Berevra. And...I have a message... from the leader of the mermaids. She said to tell you that they are no longer angry...and await you return."

Xd2SqWA.png?1

:(

MugjSZ9.png?1

That's the end of the game's first Chapter! Two more to go!

VaegFmN.png?1

We get a bit of narration about the events of the story so far:

Rictor Lasanti, visiting as a representative of Felis, announced in the month of Oceano that the White Fang Troops of Rananculus had withdrawn from Anser. Although the plans of the Batraals and their troops were never discovered, since they had retreated, the issue was assumed to have been resolved. For the time being, the Order of the Sacred Flame was stationed in Scabellum, preparing to return to Felis. Meanwhile, after meeting with the golden mermaid, Berevra, Alphonse and Eleanor rejoined Cybil. Alphonse and the others were stationed at Formido, the former stronghold of the trops of Rananculus, researching the history of the spear. The Batraals have a long history on the island. They rose to power after the war with the mermaids and relocated to the northern part of the island. It would come as no surprise if the heirs of the Batraals knew of the Sacred Spear. The island's stormy season was quickly coming to an end, and it would soon be replaced by calmer autumn weather.

KouOvlg.png?1

Glad we got out of that volcano ok.

kayWx3J.png?1

Alphonse, Cybil, Ivanna, and Some Guy are busy discussing the movements of a former friend.

Scout: "It's true. We know he took a few subordinates with him and headed to Naja, but we don't know his purpose or current location. As for the rest of his troops, it seems that they'll be returning to Felis as soon as the ship comes."

Cybil: "He must be acting on his own. That means Felis was also looking for the spear."

Alphonse: "Yes, Rictor admitted as much. He said his troops had a different mission from the beginning. But, how much does the Church of Lodis really know?"

Cybil: "Since we have no way of knowing the true power of the spear, all I can do for now is make assumptions. If the Duke of Felis obtains the spear and doesn't hand it over to the Church, it's possible that the Church elders will send troops to arrest him for treason."

Alphonse: "Then, a war is sure to start. We can't afford to have internal conflict. That will leave Ovis defenseless to an outside invasion."

Cybil: "It only takes a small spark to start a flame...The Duke may have already learned of our presence on this island. I'm sure he's been doing his research...but if we can get the spear first...Then it's over for him. Because of the Church, he's had to do his treasure hunting in secret."

Alphonse: "If the White Fang Troops hadn't invaded the South, then the Duke of Felis couldn't have sent his troops here. That means..."

Cybil: "Dispatchin you here could've been part of the plan. The Lord of Rananculus and the Duke of Felis may have been in communication with each other. ...It's a possibility."

bf6vbJ9.png?1

matsunogame.png

Alphonse: "But then, some things don't make sense. If they were cooperating, why was I captured at Formid, and why would Rictor follow the White Fang Troops to Urodela? I think the Duke of Felis and the Lord of the North are pursuing different goals, but we don't have enough information to be certain.

C20s9kj.png?1

We should always look for wisdom from cool knight ladies.

S8AiYFr.png?1

Oh, nevermind.

Ivanna: "but I do recall a story about a family member who fell in love with a mermaid 400 years ago. He supposedly cut ties with our family and ran away with her."

Alphonse: "Was his name...Lucius?"

Ivanna: "Maybe. He was considered a coward because of his fear of war that we hardly talked to him. So, I don't remember much."

Alphonse: "If a member of the Batraal Family had a relationship with Berevra, then it's no surprise that they know about the Sacred Spear."

Cybil: "There's one other thing that we can't forget. 15 years ago, when William Batraal passed away due to illness, his brother Naris succeeded him. So, which Batraal was the Duke in contact with, William or Naris? ...And is Rictor just doing as his father told him to? Either way, the information we have gained from Berevra only gives us a small advantage over them."

Alphonse: "I haven't told anyone about the Sacred Spear......not even you. Eleanor has been with me the whole time, so I'm sure she hasn't, either. I plan to keep my promise to Berevra."

zsDzHuz.png?1

Very reasonable of you, Cybil. You're alright for a shady inquisitor type.

Cybil: "But, sitting around will get us nowhere. Do we have any new information?"

Scout: "We've learned that there are survivors secretly living in Blete, the village that was burned down during the Reformation. Perhaps they know something useful. Also, there's a skilled spellcaster living by the ruins north of Tinea. If we can convince him to assist us, it would surely be to our advantage. ...But, we heard that he's an unusual fellow."

Alphonse: "...Maybe Rictor had a different purpose for going north. Let's head that way for the time being. Everybody, get ready."

TDR1uP7.png?1

We're done talking to our boss, now to our not-mermaid 10-year-old girlfriend.

Alphonse: "Yes. The shrine on the beach where Berevra hid the spear, the report about Rictor going to Naja, the mysterious death of the former lord, William, and the Reformation of Lodisism 15 years ago...Every clue points to Rananculus."

Eleanor: "The north side of the forest is very different from this side. There, it starts snowing at the end of fall, and the ground is unusually covered with deep snow. Do you still want to go there?"

Alphonse: "I can't just sit here and do nothing. I need to find out what Rictor's been scheming."

F84cXlt.png?1

I guess it doesn't sound like a fun place, to be fair.

Eleanor: "Alphonse... I don't think you could ever understand how scary it was escaping from the forest. It was so dark, and I got lost many times...I hate snow. Snow is so cold and harsh, and it hides everything in existence."

Alphonse: "Eleanor, you're not alone anymore. But, if you really don't want to come, you can stay behind..."

8gUi4jC.png?1

Eleanor: "I'm sorry, Alphonse. ...Sorry for being so selfish. I know I've said this before, but I don't want to be a burden. I want to be strong so I can fight by your side. Alphonse, I want to be acknowledged as a soldier. I want to be your comrade."

G3IrdYg.png?1

Option A recruits her, Option B rejects her. Like the majority of recruits, there's no good reason to refuse her.

VgOEdqA.png?1

Alphonse (A): "I'm sorry...I misunderstood. With us being together, I guess I took things for granted."

Eleanor: "You don't have to understand everything all at once... Just little by little..."

Alphonse: "Let's go together, Eleanor."

Eleanor: "Thank you, Alphonse. Please watch over me."

5A8WIYP.png?1

A number of locations have opened up for us to visit; Vespa is where the plot wants us to go, but there's a sidequest worth doing before you head there.

1zEdgCK.png?1

Eleanor is finally on our team for real. She's a bit weak for how high a level she is, but she's still worth using. I'd recommend making her a magic-using class like Wizard or Priest, as getting her Intelligence to 170 allows her to learn a unique, powerful spell. Alternatively, her stats make her a fairly competent Valkyrie right off the bat, provided you get her the right emblem, and given all the snow we'll eventually be dealing with, it's a good final class for her if you want to train her in other classes first.

O66ePYV.png?1

She also comes with a rather nice accessory.

0nkmzo8.png?1

Next time, we'll be marching off into a spooky haunted words and finally making use of those exorcism spells. We'll also be finally taking a closer look at Quest Mode.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

18 hours ago, epilepsyduck said:

Berevra: "About 10 years ago, soldiers landed on the south side of this island. They surrounded a nearby town and burned it down. While I watched from the ocean, I heard crying...I found a newborn baby wrapped in a blanket."

P4Fp5JS.png?1

I think the game may have accidentally implied Eleanor is 10 years old. Do just a tiny bit of math next time, writers!

flat,550x550,075,f.u2.jpg

Eleanor: "Alphonse... I don't think you could ever understand how scary it was escaping from the forest. It was so dark, and I got lost many times...I hate snow. Snow is so cold and harsh, and it hides everything in existence."

I see we have a potential Anakin here.

I'd worry for whatever snow creatures there are when you get there.

VgOEdqA.png?1

Alphonse (A): "I'm sorry...I misunderstood. With us being together, I guess I took things for granted."

Eleanor: "You don't have to understand everything all at once... Just little by little..."

Alphonse: "Let's go together, Eleanor."

Eleanor: "Thank you, Alphonse. Please watch over me."

You know what, sure, count that as A support and retroactively chance the B and A to C and B.

Though once again, 10? Jeez that's bad.

23 hours ago, epilepsyduck said:

About 10 years ago

I'm sorry, what?

Epic bruh moment from the writers! Unless our heroes are all arround 10! 😄

On 8/12/2020 at 7:28 PM, epilepsyduck said:

The writers are Japanese, who knows what the translators had read‽

Beside, a saving grace is given by the word "about". For a being that had lived 400 years, 5 years are 1,25 % of hers lifespan.

With a caution that the source is free and isn't always reliable, in the Japanese [日本語] Wikipedia's page for "Tactics Ogre: The Knight of Lodis" is written:

エレノア・オリアト, erenoa oriato; Eleanor Olato
本作のヒロイン的存在。15歳。, honsaku no hiroin-teki sonzai. 15-sai., The heroine of this work. 15-years-old.
人魚から貰ったというお守り「オーキッドパール」を持っている。, ningyo kara moratta to iu omamori `ōkiddo‐pāru' o motte iru., She has the "Orchid Pearl", a protective amulet/charm gotten from a mermaid.

ベイレヴラ, beirevura; Berevra
エレノアと面識のある人魚。「オーキッドパール」は彼女から貰ったものらしい。, erenoa to menshiki no aru ningyo. `ōkiddo‐pāru' wa kanojo kara moratta monorashī., A mermaid who is acquainted with Eleanor. The "Orchid pearl" seems to have been given by her.

"Google Translate" and "DeepL Translator" didn't provide a radical difference, only an aesthetical one.

Edited by WolfTwin

We're gonna finally complete the first of Quest Mode's offerings, before we march into a spooky haunted woods that introduces not one, but two obnoxious mechanics!

Part 14 (Gryllus): Darude's Bow

Spoiler

SMRubXC.png?1

Hey, remember Quest Mode?

LfjVsMJ.png?1

While I already explained how it worked, we didn't really get much of a look at the actual first battle. I'm now high enough level that I can comfortably beat this, though, so I figured it was time to return.

8q7NkLW.png?1

Setting the goal to "Defeat Leader in 7 Turns" allows you to get the best possible rewards from this battle. Lower turncounts give the same rewards and only a little extra gold, so they're not worth it unless you're massively overpowered compared to your foes.

9YSEcWs.png?1

Given the battle's swampy nature, units with good movement abilities are a must. Alphonse is going back to Ninja for this.

I1VX3hT.png?1kd92EvA.png?1

The boss is always this Ninja, but her allies change sometimes.

A4SU4hu.png?1

Yes sir!

qXcQtNQ.png?1exFdaIX.png?1

Focusing on her makes this a very easy clear.

lkD7OQu.png?1

We get our first special bow, the Sandstorm Bow! Like a lot of equipment you can get in this mission, this is a huge upgrade over the basic gear available in Chapter 1 and early Chapter 2, but will eventually get replaced.

Y5Rw4XF.png?1

Back in the main game, we find our reward comfortably nestled in our inventory.

9pgd2Tz.png?1

While the plot wants us to move into Vespa, we're gonna handle one of the sidequest areas first. This upcoming fight is basically the game's intro for the Exorcism and Faith spells, so be sure to bring them!

eVE68qt.png?1pvTy1Ba.png?1

I agree. It'd be especially annoying if they kept spawning in even after you exorcised them, wouldn't it?

uHyRaGF.png?1

Unfortunately, the dead have found us, and they aren't too happy about it.

tDNa4Yz.png?1

Two Clerics equipped with Exorcism and Faith are practically required for this fight; just one is going to struggle to deal with all the ghosts, and none likely makes the fight extremely difficult, if not outright impossible.

05NE7sb.png?14XYmuzz.png?1

Yeah, you tell them, Al!

YPAsv4a.png?1

Exorcising all the ghosts and zombies is necessary to beat the horde. It might be possible to win by just knocking them all out, but they generally get up too fast for that to be an option, and for reasons we'll see later, you're gonna want to get out of here fast.

dj30VSE.png?1OUfbCbz.png?1

Hidden in the river is another one of those Glass Pumpkins. We're well on our way to completing that sidequest!

9A81t9I.png?1

Eleanor will be demonstrating the regular old Exorcism spell.

Jo9ynuA.png?1he9GYau.png?1

Aside from its more restricted range, it works basically the way it always did.

0mLT3SC.png?1

None of these enemies are especially threatening; the bow-wielders are particularly weak. The thing that makes them threatening is the difficulty in killing them.

E3qKjV5.png?1

The "zombie" foes cannot be persuaded (and they're fairly terrible, so you wouldn't want to anyway), but the Ghosts can! Try to get one with the Enfeeble spell, since that spell is both decently useful and unbuyable.

fzpoaxS.png?1Dzx79Xl.png?1

With one foe knocked out, I guess we should look at the other exorcism spell, Faith.

r26nuww.png?1BSxoTUb.png?1

This one actually eliminates all knocked out undead on the entire map! It also has a lower MP requirement, for added goodness, though the downside of having to actually fight the undead means Exorcism still has its uses.

PdHnbZa.png?1

One immensely annoying thing about this chapter is this; reinforcements! A basically-infinite amount of zombies and ghosts will pour into the battle as long as you remain here, further incentivizing wiping out these foes as quickly as possible.

0SAhjyC.png?1

Even more annoyingly, they move on the turn they arrive! Whoever thought this battle was okay should've been fired.

WaL3Y8z.png?1wdNFANn.png?1

On the positive side, this battle brings both of our Clerics the Exorcist emblem!

7Q3hUCz.png?1x89O4L5.png?1

This is gained for hitting 5 foes with either Faith or Exorcism, and makes nearby undead weaker. Unfortunately, I believe this also works on your undead, so be careful if you like Ghosts!

eY2QNgf.png?1ckfJYjh.png?1

This fight took fucking ages thanks to the reinforcements, so I'm skipping to where I finally eliminated them all.

BO5yuyz.png?1

All that shit and this is all you have for me? This truly is the worst fight.

vDGLD01.png?1

At least we have a cute new pal.

d2jDBgg.png?1sKiNqnM.png?1

Mood.

8YO3OII.png?1

So, let's talk Ghosts. Our first undead unit, Ghosts are similar to their old selves from LUCT; spellcasting, decent Intelligence growth, ability to fly and warp around, and inability to be killed by anything but certain spells all make them rather useful. They've been nerfed a bit in the spells department, unfortunately; they can only equip spells of the Bane element now, whereas before they could equip spells from most of the other elements too. Bane doesn't really have "normal" damage spells, so Ghosts can't really replace a regular mage, but some Bane spells are still pretty handy, so it's not too bad a nerf. The true nerf isn't coming until endgame; exorcism effects become a lot more common towards the end, so relying too much on Ghosts by that time is a recipe for trouble. Still, we're quite a ways off from that, so we can comfortably use this fella in any fight where we need a punching bag.

JnbjMRg.png?1

We'll be furthering this particular little sidequest later, gaining some powerful new allies and getting one step closer to ultimate arcane might.

7 hours ago, epilepsyduck said:

Darude's Bow

And yet it's the most irrelevant part of the update. :P

One immensely annoying thing about this chapter is this; reinforcements! A basically-infinite amount of zombies and ghosts will pour into the battle as long as you remain here, further incentivizing wiping out these foes as quickly as possible.

0SAhjyC.png?1

Even more annoyingly, they move on the turn they arrive! Whoever thought this battle was okay should've been fired.

Endless enemies.

In a game like this.

I am screaming inside.

8YO3OII.png?1

So, let's talk Ghosts. Our first undead unit, Ghosts are similar to their old selves from LUCT; spellcasting, decent Intelligence growth, ability to fly and warp around, and inability to be killed by anything but certain spells all make them rather useful. They've been nerfed a bit in the spells department, unfortunately; they can only equip spells of the Bane element now, whereas before they could equip spells from most of the other elements too. Bane doesn't really have "normal" damage spells, so Ghosts can't really replace a regular mage, but some Bane spells are still pretty handy, so it's not too bad a nerf. The true nerf isn't coming until endgame; exorcism effects become a lot more common towards the end, so relying too much on Ghosts by that time is a recipe for trouble. Still, we're quite a ways off from that, so we can comfortably use this fella in any fight where we need a punching bag.

So they're more support and debuff. Alright, understandable.

Shame that they aren't endgame viable.

16 hours ago, epilepsyduck said:

12 hours ago, Golb89 said:

latest.thumb.png.cbb78967e3494b95e365191With a cannon!

Why not with a couple of A-bombs, :smug: considering that this reminds of "Thracia 776", some FE games, FE hacks and various strategy games‽

We've got a whole other battle of undead goodness, in which we make several powerful new friends and continue the whirlwind romance of Alphonse and Some Girl.

Part 15 (Blete): Magic Batteries

Spoiler

USSWvEm.png?1

If you weren't sick enough yet of undead, Blete has even more of the little fuckers for us to deal with. Thankfully, this battle is not nearly as obnoxious, though in some ways it's arguably more difficult.

66VKuRP.png?1

It's a known fact that wherever zombies go, the color palette ends up muted and cool.

CsPD3v2.png?1tgFjoU8.png?1

I dunno about "unharmed", but I guess no lasting injuries were incurred. Mostly it was just a nuisance.

QgcigF0.png?1

Gee, Alphonse, that's a mean thing to say to someone you just met. I bet you don't smell so great yourself!

Euphaire: "Funny question, boy. The stench of blood lingers on you as well. You must have experienced many battles. I can see the ghosts of those you've killed...Just look..."

Alphonse: "Stop!!!"

ee12rl1.png?1

With that, we assemble. Note that, due to the way the stage is laid out, characters with the "Trudging" movement type (mostly spellcasters) will need to move to the southwest of the map to join the battle proper, or they risk getting stuck between the houses. It's a bit irritating when that happens, so place all those folks near that part of the map to reduce the annoyance.

M9gQnZp.png?1Y8R4NmV.png?1

Despite her generous offer to share with us, we gotta beat Euphaire here in a fight in order to recruit her. The dialogue is actually significantly different if a different sidequest is completed first (and that one's dialogue also changes depending on this one's completion), but for the sake of simplicity I'll only be showing the dialogue I got.

5zBuSrw.png?1

While Euphaire, being a spellcaster, isn't too tough to beat in a fight, she and her team do have some nasty tricks up their sleeves.

710VUpG.png?1GrrcQqF.png?1

Before we get to that, though, we gotta get to the fight. Good mobility is a huge asset, and the poor trudging slobs will just have to go the long way around.

MSFy1Az.png?1qThzPpG.png?1

So, you know how magic users start with 0 MP, usually meaning they can't cast on the fist turn? Well, Euphaire has a special ability called Energy Transfer, which gives an ally a big chunk of MP and costs no MP itself! While the same can be accomplished by using items, it doesn't hurt to have more options!

iEU3qrS.png?1

The actual cost of the spell is Euphaire's HP. Being a mage, she doesn't have a whole lot of that to go around, so be sure to patch her up.

e1E66od.png?1

The Knights like to gang up on folks. Given what the boss does, this can cause problems.

fP5R4Mt.png?1H7d0z0l.png?1

On the second turn, this Warlock will likely cast Fluid Magic (the game's version of Charge) on Euphaire.

hdkS1it.png?1

This serves as an excellent, painful introduction to the game's Summon spells.

B2uzRaV.png?1

Aw, what a cute little guy. Maybe he's friendly?

yXeLhnl.png?1

Ah, well nevermind.

Anyway, summon spells work basically the same way they did in LUCT; they're cast in a wide AoE, and fire a number of random, low-damage shots at everyone in their range. Just like LUCT, they're best used by targeting only a single target so all the blasts hit them, doing immense damage; the AI, however, doesn't totally get this, and tends to target several units at once. Sticking together can help minimize how much damage Euphaire does here.

nlGE5gX.png?10ai54nJ.png?1

Al came pretty close to death here, but just a couple Heal spells get him back in fighting shape.

Bp9Rsrj.png?1

If you were curious why I'd brought a Dragon Tamer, it was to pick up this big scary lad. We'll get to why we want him later!

9VFO8GZ.png?1hPcrV9A.png?1

As long as you make sure Euphaire never gets the drop on a single unit, patching up the damage should be fairly simple.

or0PqdF.png?1

Deneb is admittedly not great against undead, since they're immune to her Temptation spell, but she does get a bonus to recruiting Warlocks, so that's why I brought her. It'll be a while before we can get another Fluid Magic spell, so nabbing one early is a plus!

q797Gnz.png?1

Alright, it's time to get out of here.

CVFkQLz.png?1

Euphaire: "Do you know of this town's sorrows? Many died when Lodis burned it to the ground..."

Alphonse: "......"

Sheesh, no one will let poor Lodis rest. It was just one teensy little several mass murders!

UxsxeHD.png?1

The boss drops her spell. Given that you can refuse her when she asks to join (though why would you?), I guess this is to make sure you don't miss out.

pGjAr0x.png?1N6AaG0U.png?2

Welcome to the team, lads!

JluafVn.png?1

I didn't really capture this well at all, but some sort of spirit flew out of her body here. I guess we saved her from another Deneb-type situation!

dLrVPnT.png?2

Bit of an underreaction, given what was happening.

KN8FvBC.png?1

You stabbed and shot it a bunch, but it looks like she's fine now.

miLJuS0.png?1

Well, that doesn't seem very nice of her.

Alphonse: "How could your mother do such a thing...?"

Euphaire: "A few years after the soldiers from Lodis left, she was killed by bandits that attacked our town. My father called her soul back with a spell, and she possessed my body. At first I was happy, but later I learned it was wrong. The dead and the living are not meant to share the same body. Please, don't leave me alone...Let me join you."

vP9ndAp.png?1

Option A lets us recruit her, Option B does not. There's literally no reason to reject her, but whatever floats your boat.

SFG5YM4.png?1

Alphonse: "But first, you should regain your health."

Euphaire: "Thank you. Don't worry, I'll be OK. I know that the undead do not belong in this world, but Mother and those killed by soldiers of Lodis protected me and the people of this town..."

Yeah, right, undead are the worst. Lemme just hide these undead I keep recruiting...

WDKJhlK.png?1

While we're done with Euphaire for now, the cutscenes aren't over!

ek1zGk6.png?1

I honestly forgot Blete was where Berevra found Eleanor. Two plot points done in one!

lB8OY3I.png?1

I don't believe Berevra actually mentioned the name of the town earlier, but I guess there aren't that many burned-down villages around for Eleanor to hail from.

Alphonse: "this is where Berevra found you. Eleanor, does it bring back any memories?"

Eleanor: "Nothing at all...Alphonse, what is memory? One day, will my memories of you become uncertain...or even fade altogether? If something is forgotten, is it like it never existed? Where does memory and imagination begin?"

Alphonse: "There's someone who's been fading from my memory... ...My father. I don't want to forget about him, but I don't always trust my memories of him, either."

qRlnrZf.png?1wsUVhgJ.png?1

I guess, to be fair, if you were a baby when this place burned you wouldn't really have memories of it.

IlelVCW.png?1

Back to the map. We've got some fun stuff to cover!

G7DKjCp.png?1

First, we've got Euphaire and her Shaman class. Shaman is one of several unique magic-using classes that are, effectively, a straight upgrade from what the generics get to use. Shaman is another class capable of using the Summon spells, and can use any elemental spell on top of that, though she's barred from non-Summon Virtue and Bane magic. She's got excellent growths in Intelligence and Agility, but is predictably a bit squishy. Compared to generic spellcasters, she only gets two spell slots, but this is because the third is taken up by her Energy Transfer skill, which is mostly a fair trade; Fluid Magic is usually preferable, but the ability to use Energy Transfer on the first turn gives it a niche, and the fact it doesn't eat her own MP allows her to keep charging up her own spells while giving allies MP. She also has superior movement compared to most magic users, which is a nice perk. She's well worth getting, and getting early.

iyugiSI.png?1

Over in the male class tree, we've got two classes available, but let's start with the new recruit. Warlocks are a kind of funky class compared to LUCT. They try to be a hybrid warrior-mage like the Valkyrie, but they use support magic rather than damage magic, and specialize in swords rather than spears; unfortunately, this largely makes them a bit worse than their sister class. That said, swords are still a perfectly good weapon option, and support magic does open up some nice tricks that the Valkyrie can't do, such as casting Molten Blade or Teleport. Like the Shaman, they have a unique ability, in this case Barren Soul; it's a melee ability that does elemental damage, and always hits the element the foe is weak to, which allows it to do some pretty impressive damage. All that said, they're arguably made obsolete by the next class we're gonna look at.

hcbCYiy.png?1

I fucked up capturing the sprite, but here's the Swordmaster! Swordmasters have a nearly-identical profile to the Warlock; male-only, sword-preferring, and able to equip support magic. The difference is that while the Warlock tries to be a hybrid, the Swordmaster is primarily a warrior class, and this largely makes it better. They've got a unique ranged attack in Pelting Fury that does decent damage, and a katana-based attack called Swallow's Daze that lets them do good damage and stun a foe. They also have excellent movement, which eases some of the frustrations heavily-armored classes can have actually getting to the battle. They only have one support spell slot, and I'd highly recommend using this slot for either Molten Blade or Fluid Magic; they should primarily focus on their physical attacks, after all. They no longer have their old dual-wielding ability or their affinity for status effects, sadly, but they're still very impressive! Best of all, they have no alignment restrictions, so any of your male warriors can become one once their stats are ready.

z6ewh4T.png?1

Dragon Zombies are our last class of the day. They have frankly abysmal movement, even worse than other dragons, but this is their only real flaw. In exchange, they're practically immortal, since they revive infinitely like the Ghost, and unlike the Ghost, they're powerful attackers, about as powerful as the elemental dragons. Their Rotten Breath ability has the same damage and AoE as before, but with the added bonus of weakening enemy equipment; this is quite nice against well-equipped foes, though it obviously falls flat against beasts and other dragons. One fun trick is to give them the Necklace of Resist; since the necklace blocks all magic, it renders them immune to being exorcised from all but a tiny handful of endgame foes, and unlike the Ghost, this doesn't utterly cripple their utility since they can't use magic in the first place. They're not actually the best dragons, but they can be fun to play with.

81Raj5W.png?1drdRv6w.png?1

Our new pals bring a couple new emblems with them. The Pen and the Sword is awarded to a unit for slaying 4 enemies with magic and another 4 with physical attacks; its sole effect is to provide the Warlock class, making it useless for female characters. Philosopher's Stone, meanwhile, is awarded for killing 2 or more enemies with a single magic attack; it unlocks the Siren class, which is female only and thus is useless for male characters this time. Shaman actually replaces Siren in Euphaire's class list, funnily enough, and they even share the same weapon preferences and stat growths!

TF9cLoB.png?2

Next time; going where the plot actually asked us to go!

12 hours ago, epilepsyduck said:

CVFkQLz.png?1

Euphaire: "Do you know of this town's sorrows? Many died when Lodis burned it to the ground..."

Alphonse: "......"

Sheesh, no one will let poor Lodis rest. It was just one teensy little several mass murders!

Lodis: We won't raze your village, we promise!

Eleanor: "Nothing at all...Alphonse, what is memory? One day, will my memories of you become uncertain...or even fade altogether? If something is forgotten, is it like it never existed? Where does memory and imagination begin?"

Alphonse: "There's someone who's been fading from my memory... ...My father. I don't want to forget about him, but I don't always trust my memories of him, either."

I guess, to be fair, if you were a baby when this place burned you wouldn't really have memories of it.

I mean, I get it.

It's still a sad sequence honestly.

First, we've got Euphaire and her Shaman class. Shaman is one of several unique magic-using classes that are, effectively, a straight upgrade from what the generics get to use. Shaman is another class capable of using the Summon spells, and can use any elemental spell on top of that, though she's barred from non-Summon Virtue and Bane magic. She's got excellent growths in Intelligence and Agility, but is predictably a bit squishy. Compared to generic spellcasters, she only gets two spell slots, but this is because the third is taken up by her Energy Transfer skill, which is mostly a fair trade; Fluid Magic is usually preferable, but the ability to use Energy Transfer on the first turn gives it a niche, and the fact it doesn't eat her own MP allows her to keep charging up her own spells while giving allies MP. She also has superior movement compared to most magic users, which is a nice perk. She's well worth getting, and getting early.

Over in the male class tree, we've got two classes available, but let's start with the new recruit. Warlocks are a kind of funky class compared to LUCT. They try to be a hybrid warrior-mage like the Valkyrie, but they use support magic rather than damage magic, and specialize in swords rather than spears; unfortunately, this largely makes them a bit worse than their sister class. That said, swords are still a perfectly good weapon option, and support magic does open up some nice tricks that the Valkyrie can't do, such as casting Molten Blade or Teleport. Like the Shaman, they have a unique ability, in this case Barren Soul; it's a melee ability that does elemental damage, and always hits the element the foe is weak to, which allows it to do some pretty impressive damage. All that said, they're arguably made obsolete by the next class we're gonna look at.

I fucked up capturing the sprite, but here's the Swordmaster! Swordmasters have a nearly-identical profile to the Warlock; male-only, sword-preferring, and able to equip support magic. The difference is that while the Warlock tries to be a hybrid, the Swordmaster is primarily a warrior class, and this largely makes it better. They've got a unique ranged attack in Pelting Fury that does decent damage, and a katana-based attack called Swallow's Daze that lets them do good damage and stun a foe. They also have excellent movement, which eases some of the frustrations heavily-armored classes can have actually getting to the battle. They only have one support spell slot, and I'd highly recommend using this slot for either Molten Blade or Fluid Magic; they should primarily focus on their physical attacks, after all. They no longer have their old dual-wielding ability or their affinity for status effects, sadly, but they're still very impressive! Best of all, they have no alignment restrictions, so any of your male warriors can become one once their stats are ready.

Euphaire is good as it stands, so good for her, though poor Warlock, being outplayed by another class that guys can get. But Barren Soul sounds wild when it applies at least.

z6ewh4T.png?1

Dragon Zombies are our last class of the day. They have frankly abysmal movement, even worse than other dragons, but this is their only real flaw. In exchange, they're practically immortal, since they revive infinitely like the Ghost, and unlike the Ghost, they're powerful attackers, about as powerful as the elemental dragons. Their Rotten Breath ability has the same damage and AoE as before, but with the added bonus of weakening enemy equipment; this is quite nice against well-equipped foes, though it obviously falls flat against beasts and other dragons. One fun trick is to give them the Necklace of Resist; since the necklace blocks all magic, it renders them immune to being exorcised from all but a tiny handful of endgame foes, and unlike the Ghost, this doesn't utterly cripple their utility since they can't use magic in the first place. They're not actually the best dragons, but they can be fun to play with.

Kamui and Boey scream in the distance.

That does sound like a fun thing to do.

3 hours ago, Dayni said:
20 hours ago, epilepsyduck said:

I mean, I get it.

It's still a sad sequence honestly.

"Eleanor's Frontline"

Edited by Golb89

On 8/22/2020 at 5:43 AM, epilepsyduck said:

Our new pals bring a couple new emblems with them.

Intrigued by the numerous displays of the word "emblem", found that the japanese word for it,
in this game, isn't エムブレム、エンブレム neither 紋章(もんしょう, crest, coat of arms)
but 勲章(くんしょう, decoration [badge], order, medal).

Maybe are already acquainted with them or don't need 'em, but Shotgunnova had published Maps for this game…

Blete Map

Spoiler

6989?raw=1

What a terrible night to know that I missed two update.

On 8/20/2020 at 4:39 PM, epilepsyduck said:

Darude's Bow

You mean like- aw shoot Dayni did it first 😛

Unfortunately, I believe this also works on your undead, so be careful if you like Ghosts!

WHY. Why would they do that ?!

Ghosts

So basicaly, Mages with great goodies with some drawbacks to make things balanced. Endgame screw them over. Smart design actually.

On 8/22/2020 at 4:43 AM, epilepsyduck said:

Fluid Magic

She is that thirsty eh? ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Ah yes, Kong the Warlock, such a classic !

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So, you may have noticed that this LP's been kinda in limbo recently. You may also have noticed that I just started a new one. I'll admit I've had some technical difficulties with it recently (I kinda lost all the stuff I recorded for one battle; oops!), but that's not really why I've stopped updating it.

Truthfully, y'all, I've been struggling with motivation for continuing this particular one. I've not been enjoying it for the past few updates, and I kinda need the palette cleanser if I'm ever gonna finish it at all. I'll be back to TKOL, but let's just say it'll be a little while.

Truthfully, y'all, I've been struggling with motivation for continuing this particular one.

Like with FE-SoHaE?

tumblr_nn9xupcJHk1sk47ceo1_1280.jpg

I'll be back to TKOL, but let's just say it'll be a little while.

Does that mean Alphonse WILL score eventually?

311b5783-cf15-4959-bb48-91f856cb6653.jpg

Perfectly understandable, it's bad to force yourself to do stuff you don't want to do. Espescially since you are kind of optimizing stuffs

Take care of yourself hmm?
I'll be looking at your new LP !

8 hours ago, Golb89 said:

Like with FE-SoHaE?

And this one too.

....rude. 😞

Edited by B.Leu

• 2 months later...