Need some help cosplaying Ryoma (no memes please)

WeAreNewcastle1053

I've been wanting to cosplay Ryoma for the Year 12 muck-up day coming in a few months time. I've searched the internet for his armour but I could not find it. They literally have every character's armour but his. I think I'll need some help. Does someone know where to look or should I make Ryoma's armour from scratch?

Ryoma, that sounds like a tough one to make. I would recommend getting some cardboard boxes and use the cardboard to make mockups. If the mockups fit only then make the armor from foam using the mockup as pattern.

If it's the design you're missing parts of, make them up yourself. If you're having trouble finding it I doubt anyone would notice (and even if you did, cosplay allows for any amount of creative freedom you want).

I'm aware of what Ryoma looks like. I even have a Blender model of him (as well as GenocIke). I really don't like the idea of using cardboard or plastic to make the armour because that stuff tends to be weak and I worry that I can't pull off any stunts without damaging it.

1 hour ago, WeAreNewcastle1053 said:

I really don't like the idea of using cardboard or plastic to make the armour because that stuff tends to be weak

I wasn't suggesting you use cardboard for the final product, I was suggesting you use it to make mockups. That's a first version so you can make sure everything works and fits. If you were to make your first version with more expensive materials it will be very expensive if it ends up not fitting or not looking right. If the cheap cardboard armor works you can cut it up again and use it as a pattern for your final product. I know this sounds like a lot of work, and it is, but it's worth it.

Once you have the cardboard patterns you can cut the pieces out of foam. After that you can cover the foam with worbla if you want it to be extra sturdy. Worbla is expensive though and there are cheaper ways to finish it, though they'll probably also be less sturdy. (I used woodglue before, don't use that for full armor, it's quite fragile.)

On 6/6/2020 at 3:44 AM, WeAreNewcastle1053 said:

Whoops, I meant I didn't like using foam. >.< Foam is only marginally better than cardboard with the added ability of not sogging up and melting away... 

If you're willing to put in a little more work, and money, Sintra is a cheaper alternative to PVC that is easier to cut and form that holds up extremely well under most circustances. 

9 hours ago, Sir Gerwald of Vallora said:

If you're willing to put in a little more work, and money, Sintra is a cheaper alternative to PVC that is easier to cut and form that holds up extremely well under most circustances. 

Interesting, I had not yet heard of Sintra, will be doing more research into this.

On 6/6/2020 at 11:44 AM, WeAreNewcastle1053 said:

Whoops, I meant I didn't like using foam. >.< Foam is only marginally better than cardboard with the added ability of not sogging up and melting away... 

I'd have to disagree. Foam is only as strong as the material you cover it with, so sure, if you use only foam it won't be durable at all. But Worbla, and other materials, need a base to be formed around, foam is perfect for that.

That said, you do you, find what works for you and do that. 😃

• 1 month later...

For the armour part i suggest Eva foam. You can start by doing a paper pattern and then cut the piece of foam from it. To change the foam shape use an heat gun. Contact cement to glue the pieces. Before the color use a primer. For the rest parts idk i wasn't into sewing when i was into cosplay. On youtube you can find lots of video about armour making tho

Well, I've already made a start. I grabbed a cheap white formal shirt and I'm using that as the base for the battle coat. I've managed to detatch the sleeves and the pocket. I am using a Blender model of Ryoma as a reference.