New Member tag a bit restrictive?

Zebbmann

Hi there. I am a new member, as can probably be witnessed by my new member tag. This, as I understand it, is what prevents me from posting new topics in certain forums.

This is a bit annoying. I assume there is a reason for things to work this way? But I literally only became a member to start posting in the fan projects category (I am making my own game), but... I can't.

How do I get rid of this?

Regards,

Zebbmann

ps. I realize you might be getting a mild salty flavour from this post.

The new member thing is supposed to be an anti-spambot measure.  That said, I have seen guest users post threads here before, so I don't know how effective it is.

The only solution is to just keep posting responses in places.  Sorry.

Yep, you have to post in some topics, like in the introdcution one, or just a random one in far from the forest - like the one where people are counting to 800k or something. You should be able to get rid of the new member tag pretty easily that way.

The restrictions are there because some people that came before you are scum.

Anyway, post more (note that Far from the Forest doesn't increase your post count).  We don't bite.  The worst that happens is that you dump your project and leave, but. . .in which case, why are you here?

13 minutes ago, eclipse said:

The restrictions are there because some people that came before you are scum.

Anyway, post more (note that Far from the Forest doesn't increase your post count).  We don't bite.  The worst that happens is that you dump your project and leave, but. . .in which case, why are you here?

Some people just want to have a convenient promotion platform for their work so people can find it more easily.  Heck, that's why I joined this place initially.

3 minutes ago, Von Ithipathachai said:

Some people just want to have a convenient promotion platform for their work so people can find it more easily.  Heck, that's why I joined this place initially.

Advertising is a fine line.  This is a forum first and foremost, not some place to dump your stuff just for "exposure".  If you want that, it's best to get to know the audience first anyway.

Thank you for the responses and tips! I'll try to see if I can get over the hurdle.

Also, @eclipse To be honest I don't care about 'exposure' and I'm not here to advertise. The only thing I wanted was to see if some people who are already interested in Fire Emblem would want to try it and give me some feedback. Perhaps it's my own fault for sounding a bit salty, but I feel a bit needlessly judged.

33 minutes ago, Zebbmann said:

Thank you for the responses and tips! I'll try to see if I can get over the hurdle.

Perhaps it's my own fault for sounding a bit salty, but I feel a bit needlessly judged.

May I ask why you feel this way? From what I can tell, everyone was polite towards you, and most people are very pleasant to have conversations with here.

30 minutes ago, lightcosmo said:

May I ask why you feel this way? From what I can tell, everyone was polite towards you, and most people are very pleasant to have conversations with here.

Fair. I just felt the responses from eclipse made several assumptions with a somewhat aggressive tone. Of course, with written text it is easy to infer things, which might have been the case. But specifically the "then why are you here" statement and the talk about "exposure" in quotation marks. They have an agressive/judgemental undertone in my eyes.

56 minutes ago, Zebbmann said:

Fair. I just felt the responses from eclipse made several assumptions with a somewhat aggressive tone. Of course, with written text it is easy to infer things, which might have been the case. But specifically the "then why are you here" statement and the talk about "exposure" in quotation marks. They have an agressive/judgemental undertone in my eyes.

I think that was meant to be a joke, although I could be wrong. I'm really sorry you felt that way, though!

2 hours ago, lightcosmo said:

I think that was meant to be a joke, although I could be wrong. I'm really sorry you felt that way, though!

It could well have been, in which case I misunderstood! Thank you. 🙂

edit:And the new member tag is gone! Huzzah!

Edited by Zebbmann
Avoiding double posting

50 minutes ago, Zebbmann said:

It could well have been, in which case I misunderstood! Thank you. 🙂

edit:And the new member tag is gone! Huzzah!

Yeah, that's kinda an issue when you can show emotion and such when having a conversation with someone else. But, you're welcome!

15 hours ago, Zebbmann said:

Also, @eclipse To be honest I don't care about 'exposure' and I'm not here to advertise. The only thing I wanted was to see if some people who are already interested in Fire Emblem would want to try it and give me some feedback. Perhaps it's my own fault for sounding a bit salty, but I feel a bit needlessly judged.

You're, well, you, with your own viewpoint and whatnot.  Now imagine that you have to figure out who's doing what and why, in a topic specifically made to complain about a board mechanic.

Point is, this isn't only about you.  Try to see things from another perspective.

5 hours ago, eclipse said:

You're, well, you, with your own viewpoint and whatnot.  Now imagine that you have to figure out who's doing what and why, in a topic specifically made to complain about a board mechanic.

Point is, this isn't only about you.  Try to see things from another perspective.

I am. It's literally why I keep saying things like "I could have misunderstood" and "I might have inferred things" and "I understand I might seem salty". Point is, I'm not an idiot and once again this is exactly my point and I'll just leave this topic now.

edit: I am aware that at this point things have gone south. It's not always easy to interact with new people and we all have our problems. While I stand by everything I've written so far, I also apologise if I have been less than polite in saying them.

Edited by Zebbmann
Avoiding double posting