[FE8] FE inheritance (COMPLETED rom hack)

Gorgonath

Answering to a feedback:

"Besides that, it's be nicer if some of the units weren't edited reskins. The maps are good though, I'll give you that."

Yes.
The main problem is that the only one making sprites for the hack was me, and I'm not very talented, also the game is really big and because of that many characters are like placeholders for now.
We decided to release the hack to gain the attention needed to get someone to help us, and well... now we have a good sprites maker and 3 people helping us with the text.

I have the possibility to use portraits from the repo but well, in my eyes using a free to use portrait that is used in a lot of other hacks or using a FE7 character are the same thing.
The hack is complete but it will be updated for a long time, I hope we will be able to give a decent original characterization to every character, also the text and the narration will be improved.
If you want to leave feedback about anything that you think can be improved, don't fear to be nitpicking, thank you.

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got some questions (AFAIK, the answers aren't on discord). I'm on chapter 13 so far on hard mode (v1.0.28).

Questions

• Do supports work the same as the base game?
  • Is the healing formula for healing staves the same as the base game? (I've never had a heal not go to full, wondering if the mag stat actually matters for healing or not)
  • Is there a min stat enforcement on promotion to a class or is it just fixed per character? (If I promote my level 10 Clovis to Wyvern Lord, he gains 10 def, which seems insane for a promotion stat boost)
  • Are all promoted mounted/flying units supposed to have canto+? (Wyvern Lord, Great Knight don't, but maybe that's a tradeoff for the high def?)
  • If a character can use a weapon type, are they always going to have access to that type on promotion?
  • Do Caimy, Raul ever learn steal+?
  • Spoiler

If I visit the mid-left house in chapter 13, does that stop the old dude from blowing himself up?

• Do you plan to add support for playing with fixed stat gains?

Bugs?

• Rogues can use staves, but that is not part of the promotion description.
  • Trying to repair an item that can't be repaired (i.e. Devil Sword) ends Andre's turn.
  • In the character menu, the stat highlight color is based on the growths. In another mod, I've seen it based on the character's current stat compared to the expected average. I feel like that is more useful.
  • Paragon doesn't seem to apply to healing exp (if mend really does give ~20exp, then this is a good thing).
  • In the dialogue before chapter 12(I think). 
    Spoiler

After Gabe talks to the boss guy, he has another conversation with someone else. The sprite shown in that conversation is Dietwald, but this makes 0 sense. Is that really the correct sprite?

Feedback

Aside from the dialogue, this game feels incredibly polished. From the discord, I can see that you don't want to spoil character skills, but can you share the class stat caps and class skills? Also, I think there should be more clues for reinforcements. The dialogue does a good job at hinting at where reinforcements will come from, but it could be more precise in either time or location ('south' on a large map is very broad). I think adding a 1 or 2 liner a turn or 2 before large reinforcements would stop people from feeling blindsided.

10 minutes ago, Anonymouz said:

Do supports work the same as the base game?

Yes but you can gain them from 5 tiles of distance.

11 minutes ago, Anonymouz said:

Is the healing formula for healing staves the same as the base game? (I've never had a heal not go to full, wondering if the mag stat actually matters for healing or not)

Mag+staff power. So mag+20 for heal, mag+30 for mend mag+40 for Recover and mag+10 for physic. In later chapters if would be more common to not be able to fully heal someone (with physic usually) but early game it's almost always full healing. 

15 minutes ago, Anonymouz said:

Is there a min stat enforcement on promotion to a class or is it just fixed per character? (If I promote my level 10 Clovis to Wyvern Lord, he gains 10 def, which seems insane for a promotion stat boost)

It depends, Clovis starts as a brigand so he has really low def, to emphasize the change he gets a lot of def when he becomes a Wyvern Lord. Wyvern Lords have all different class ID, theirs gains and cap are all different. Usually there are small differences between classes, as example the axe hero has a higher str cap than the lance hero while the lance hero has a better spd cap, they are small differences usually.

The gains are always class dependent, but even if you see two classes that looks the same in game, they might be different in reality. 

20 minutes ago, Anonymouz said:

Are all promoted mounted/flying units supposed to have canto+? (Wyvern Lord, Great Knight don't, but maybe that's a tradeoff for the high def?)

Wyvern Lords and Great Knight are the only one that does not take canto+ and yes, it's because they have a better def.
Also Great Knight can benefit from armor march.

22 minutes ago, Anonymouz said:

If a character can use a weapon type, are they always going to have access to that type on promotion?

Yes.

22 minutes ago, Anonymouz said:

Do Caimy, Raul ever learn steal+?

Yes, level 16 as rogues.

24 minutes ago, Anonymouz said:

Hidden contents 1

No.

24 minutes ago, Anonymouz said:

Do you plan to add support for playing with fixed stat gains?

I think it would be kinda useless since Inheritance uses big numbers. 
Big numbers reduce the probability to have screwed units, it's easily provable.
Also, one of the main points of branched promotions is to give the player the possibility to maximize the strength of a unit by promoting it in the best class based on how the unit has grown. 
As example, Zhed does not have a very good spd grow, but sometimes he can might be blessed with a good spd, in that case making him a Wyvern Knight instead of a Wyvern Lord might be the best thing since he will have a higher spd cap and better offensive skills, if he does not level spd enough, making him a Wyvern Lord and use him as a flying tank will always be the best thing.

From my point of view, fixed gains would only remove gameplay options, but I'm open to discussions.

38 minutes ago, Anonymouz said:
  • Rogues can use staves, but that is not part of the promotion description.
  • Trying to repair an item that can't be repaired (i.e. Devil Sword) ends Andre's turn.
  • In the character menu, the stat highlight color is based on the growths. In another mod, I've seen it based on the character's current stat compared to the expected average. I feel like that is more useful.
  • Paragon doesn't seem to apply to healing exp (if mend really does give ~20exp, then this is a good thing).

Thanks for reporting.
For the character menu, I don't know since it's a standard skillsystem feature.

39 minutes ago, Anonymouz said:

In the dialogue before chapter 12(I think).

Can you send a screenshot of this please?

40 minutes ago, Anonymouz said:

Feedback

Aside from the dialogue, this game feels incredibly polished. From the discord, I can see that you don't want to spoil character skills, but can you share the class stat caps and class skills? Also, I think there should be more clues for reinforcements. The dialogue does a good job at hinting at where reinforcements will come from, but it could be more precise in either time or location ('south' on a large map is very broad). I think adding a 1 or 2 liner a turn or 2 before large reinforcements would stop people from feeling blindsided.

A new feature in FEBuilder was added and we might be able to write characters descriptions in the guide (when you recruit them). 
In the description it would be nice to insert a brief introduction to the character and a detailed one on which classes he can promote, the skills he can gain and maybe possible builds, but since there are a lot of character it would take a while to implement it, but I would like to do it.

About the reinforcements.
Dialogues in general will be improved (I hope).

Thank you for the feedback.

2 hours ago, Vividerbruxte said:

I think it would be kinda useless since Inheritance uses big numbers. 
Big numbers reduce the probability to have screwed units, it's easily provable.
Also, one of the main points of branched promotions is to give the player the possibility to maximize the strength of a unit by promoting it in the best class based on how the unit has grown. 
As example, Zhed does not have a very good spd grow, but sometimes he can might be blessed with a good spd, in that case making him a Wyvern Knight instead of a Wyvern Lord might be the best thing since he will have a higher spd cap and better offensive skills, if he does not level spd enough, making him a Wyvern Lord and use him as a flying tank will always be the best thing.

From my point of view, fixed gains would only remove gameplay options, but I'm open to discussions.

Your points are all right. From my perspective, not having to worry about stats is worth the loss of gameplay options. Even if that worry is mostly unfounded. It's a casual vs hardcore type of thing.

If the stat coloring matched the stat in comparison to it's expected value, that would make it more obvious when a character is deviating from their role or when to ditch a character.

2 hours ago, Vividerbruxte said:

Can you send a screenshot of this please?

Unfortunately, I don't have a save from that point. I think it was from the dialogue when you start chapter 12.

Edited by Anonymouz

1 hour ago, Anonymouz said:

If the stat coloring matched the stat in comparison to it's expected value, that would make it more obvious when a character is deviating from their role or when to ditch a character.

I don't want units to be benched, it's almost impossible for a unit to get so screwed that a player should ditch them. 
It's really improbable because even if the unit gets screwed in 2 or even 3 stats (and we are talking about a 1 out of 1000 cases, being generous), skills and weapons will not be affected.

Just to give you an example, after 30 levels, the probability of having a Zhed with less than 14 spd (not considering promotion gains) is inferior to 10%, the probability of his def being inferior to 24 (also without promotions gains) is also inferior to 10%.
The probability of both being so bad, is less of 1% and well... a 16 spd for a Zhed after 30 levels is not good for sure, but most of the enemies will still not double him in hard mode.

For other units like the mages in general, usually there is always the "staff bot option" if they don't level up a good spd or mag, so really, trust me... I think there should not be any instance of character that you should ditch.

If a character turns out bad, please report it to use, I want every playable character to be a good unit.

1 hour ago, Anonymouz said:

Unfortunately, I don't have a save from that point. I think it was from the dialogue when you start chapter 12.

Oh no problem, I think I understand what you are talking about now:

Spoiler

If you are talking about the start event, there should be that scene where Gabe and Wald are both on screen, if you watch closely you will notice that the background is divided in two, and that Wald and Gabe are facing opposite directions.
The intention was to make a scene that shown Gabe and Wald making the same reasoning at the same time, but well, of course they are not in the same room.

It's kinda ambitious to try making something like that in the GBA engine, but well, that start event was the one where I experimented the most... maybe I should put a black line in the middle of the background to make it easier to understand the scene?

New update downloadable:

-some bugs have been fixed

We also want to remind you all that the level cap for promoted units is 30, so if this isn't the case please report it to us. Aside from this if any of you has a problem in their run, please contact us, wee might be able to find a way to solve it.

Edited by Gorgonath

New update downloadable:

-a few bugs have been fixed

-some portraits have been changed

Outside from this we encourage you to send us some feedback, especially if you didn't enjoy the hack. This after all is what the anonymous feedback form is for: https://forms.gle/sh1aMqrwimLrQVJN6

as much as we like to receive positive feedback, we think negative feedback is fundamental to improve the hack.

To those who finished and appreciated the game we'd like you to join our discord, if you want, to talk about the game in an apposite channel, where we could ask for opinions about our ideas for part 2 (which we are going to start working on soon) and things we might want to change in part 1. Here is the like to the discord: https://discord.gg/CPmGuhK

Edited by Gorgonath

New update downloadable:

-a bug is chapter 18 has been solved, in particular, the game could previously softlock

Spoilers about chapter 18

Spoiler

Sorumeph should be force deployed while we have had some reports from people that don't even have him as a playable character. For now we implemented a temporary solution, but if someone were to send us his saves or savestates it could help us to figure out what the problem is.

New update downloadable:

In the folder you can find both 1.0.34 and 1.0.35. The former solves a problem with a possible softlock in chapter 14 and a few other little things; the latter introduces a new spell, Dark Spikes, by SHYUTERz, but we haven't tested it much, so there might be bugs cause by it, but we can't be sure. In case you find something, please report it to us.

Spoilers on Dark Spike:

Spoiler

Dark Spike is a dark tome effective against cavalry, we decided to add it in to make dark mages more useful. In particular now Sheila joins with Dak Spikes instead of Fenrir, this way it should be easier for her to level up

New updated downloadable:

-The update mainly addresses a possible softlock
of a cutscene in chapter 3.

-A couple of portraits have also been updated, as well as other minor things.

Some gameplay tips that will be added to the main post:

Spoiler

(1) Canonical games and many hacks usually push the player
to play aggressively and not to turtling by inserting
rewards that could be lost if you play too slowly.

This somewhat happens in Inheritance too, but it is less common.
Usually playing slow or turtling does not cause you to lose
rewards, it makes you lose the chapter directly.

The enemies are much more aggressive: in most maps, at
a certain turn, the enemies will start moving all together and giving them the
possibility of grouping, almost always leads to the death of some units.

In normal mode everything is easily manageable, but in hard mode we recommend
 you to play as efficiently and quickly as possible.

(2) The game is balanced on the assumption that the player will try
to optimize their units as much as possible.

As usual, normal mode is not very punitive but, in hard mode, not
thinking about unit optimization (equipment, experience etc ...)
is a behavior that is usually punished.

New update downloadable: Mature Mode

We decided not to create a separate mature version of the game, but simply to implement it as a separate mode.
The game runs by default on the "Standard Mode".
At the end of the prologue chapter the player is asked if they want to play on the "Mature Mode" and so to see the more mature/disturbing elements of the hack.
The player can switch mode at will at any chapter, the same way you can modify the difficulty.
To modify them, you have to hold select at the start of the chapter (when the title of the chapter happears)

In case you already started the game but you want to play it in the mature version, you just need to update and the do the same process to activate the mature mode.

New update downloadable:

-we did some balancing (classes stats' caps and promotion gains) and some fixing with the weapons.

Soon we are gonna work on version 1.1.0 and we'd need some play-testers. In case you're up for it contact us (possibly on the discord).

Since someone was asking for it, Vivider decided to write short guide on how HE thinks the chapter could be beaten more easily.

This is for the players who are really having difficulties, and please, do not use this guide unless you are stuck. On the contrary it could be interesting to read each chapter's note once beaten the said chapter.

It all of course depend also on the units you have in your party, but this guide should contain information that works for everyone.

Edited by Gorgonath

New Update:

-One of Manfred's skills has been fixed

-We previously forgot to restrict one deathquote to the +17 mode, so, especially if you are sensitive people playing the game in the base version you should update.

That said, if any of you playing finds that something in the hack is offensive or in bad taste, we have no problems discussing about it, after all, the ANONYMOUS form was created mainly for negative feedback, rather than for positive one.
We are happy for the compliments etc, but it's the negative feedback that allows to improve a project.

If you have something to say, feel free to contact us in private or on discord, we are always happy to talk about the hack.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Update.

From this moment, I am the only owner of the project and the only one responsible for it.

A few months ago I accepted Vivider's (co-author of the hack) request to have the link and the post on the other forum deleted even
if I didn't wanted to do it.
Even if I think it wasn't necessary, this update removes most of the controversial content of the game and
tones down a lot all the dark/edgy/whatever elements that were not important for the plot.
The direction of the further updates will be the same.

Also, now we added an in-game warning, stating the nature of the content that can be found in game.

As I said, I would have not removed the download link, but still, Vivider insisted in not making a public
re-release, but the link to the discord will work again.
If you are interested in playing the game, you can find the download link in the discord.

Also, as always, we will really appreciate some help to improve the writing.
There is also a lot of space for inserting original writing, so, if you are interested, let us know.

The update also brings changes to portraits, names, weapons, maps and balance.

In particular:

-Poison now deals 1+rand(0,2)+10% of the max health of the unit.

A unit with 40 hp will take 5 base damage + a random number from 0 to 2 from poison damage.
A unit with 50 hp will take 6 base damage + a random number from 0 to 2 from poison damage etc...

This buff to poison damage is a nerf to bulky units and also allows us to nerf the stronger monsters
that will now deal less damage and will carry more poison weapons instead of bows.

-Maddening will be redesigned around enemies having a +20 hit rate in enemy turn and a different
positioning, but that will come later on.
Right now maddening mode will be almost unplayable, even more than in the previous patches.

Edited by Gorgonath

• 3 weeks later...

A little update:
we decided to create alternative versions of the most frustruting chapters of the game, which will remain playable like in the older version only in Maddening mode.
In particular this patch affects chapter 4, as well as fixing bugs and various other minor problems.

Maddening mode has been tested till chapter 8