[FE8] FE inheritance (COMPLETED rom hack)

Gorgonath

Update
for now we have this bug, but we have created a temporary solution:

Promoting a unit at level 20 prevents it from gaining more experience, so promote units at levels 19 or lower. If you promoted a unit at level 20, using a Rare Scroll on it will fix the exp problem and the scroll will not count as used

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Finally, I just finished this game with 45 hours of playing. Great game design, maps especially, reminds me of the big map of Genealogy of Sacred War, takes me two hours to play a chapter in late game. The plot is also well fabricated,  main heroes with completely different motives travelling together, this is the first time I've seen in a FE hack. Standard FE battles are too easy for fans, this game's difficulty curve is just about right. Legions of enemies rushing forward truly bring the sense of tension. All these combined,  I had a wonderful time playing this game. Thanks for making this game, really looking forward to the 2nd part of this game.

Next i wanna comment on some of the plot design  if it's OK

Spoiler

I felt weird about some character design. First, Gabba, he is a bandit and also the strategist of Bertram, this combination feels weird,  maybe it's more plausible if he is a mage or a high ranking general of  Bertram's special military force? the idea that a bandit leader is the strategist of a noble is strange. Second, Dietwald, he is a mere boy of 15, but he acts like he is more sophisticated and shrewd than a grown up. There has to be some naivety in him rather than complete coldness and calculation that we see. His conversation with Sheila shows a little bit of his immaturity, I think we can hope to see more, so that the core hero can be more reallistic. Third, Aden, similar thing like Dietwald, too mature for a even younger age. Other heroes like Ernst and Claire are fooled around all the time, maybe it's essential for the main plot, but as 2 of the 3 core heroes, they seem too stupid,  it seems unreal that they should act like puppets of a mere boy. Also I don't know what I should think of Ernst and Claire, their characteristic seems blur.  

On 10/23/2021 at 8:48 PM, updana said:

Finally, I just finished this game with 45 hours of playing. Great game design, maps especially, reminds me of the big map of Genealogy of Sacred War, takes me two hours to play a chapter in late game. The plot is also well fabricated,  main heroes with completely different motives travelling together, this is the first time I've seen in a FE hack. Standard FE battles are too easy for fans, this game's difficulty curve is just about right. Legions of enemies rushing forward truly bring the sense of tension. All these combined,  I had a wonderful time playing this game. Thanks for making this game, really looking forward to the 2nd part of this game.

Next i wanna comment on some of the plot design  if it's OK

Reveal hidden contents

I felt weird about some character design. First, Gabba, he is a bandit and also the strategist of Bertram, this combination feels weird,  maybe it's more plausible if he is a mage or a high ranking general of  Bertram's special military force? the idea that a bandit leader is the strategist of a noble is strange. Second, Dietwald, he is a mere boy of 15, but he acts like he is more sophisticated and shrewd than a grown up. There has to be some naivety in him rather than complete coldness and calculation that we see. His conversation with Sheila shows a little bit of his immaturity, I think we can hope to see more, so that the core hero can be more reallistic. Third, Aden, similar thing like Dietwald, too mature for a even younger age. Other heroes like Ernst and Claire are fooled around all the time, maybe it's essential for the main plot, but as 2 of the 3 core heroes, they seem too stupid,  it seems unreal that they should act like puppets of a mere boy. Also I don't know what I should think of Ernst and Claire, their characteristic seems blur.  

First of all, thank you for your kind words!
We are really happy you enjoied the game.

About the plot: 

Spoiler

Gabba's plotline should be inserted in the future in a base camp. Gabba was Gabriel the Hawkeye, the lycian bow general and strategist of the king.
In the war, because of Eagleeye (chapter 14x's boss and Reina's father), his wife is killed and the king takes away his title, so he leaves and becomes a bandit, until Bertram defeats and recruits him.

Dietwald is supposed to be a spoiled and immature kid. He has the mind of a God, able to understand all dark magic and law of nature, he uses it to make
Sheila his phone, basically, or to be the ultimate edgelord with his morphs, inspired by the novels he reads. Also he whines a lot, like in chapter 15.
"Oliver died because of Ernest, so I will kill him" First thing Wald does after the timeskip.
He goes from being a dark magic genious to being a whining spoiled immature kid in a second, or well, this is how we imagined him.
Some others complained he was too immature, it's always fun how different feedbacks are.

Aden is half dragon, he is like 50 years old now.

About Ernest and Claire, maybe more base camps will make them at least decently characterised, for now they are a bit bland.
Ernest is an idiot, Claire is fooled because Wald does incredible stuff like resurrecting the girl.

Of course it's ok to leave comments, also if you have questions, we will certainly answer.

Edited by Gorgonath

• 1 month later...

Update 1.2.3:

With this update the hack is complete in terms of gameplay.
All major bugs SHOULD have been fixed, maddening is playable and the structure of basecamp chapters has been added.
The random shops in the basecamp chapters allow the player to buy A and S tier weapons/tomes, with this the game should be complete in terms of gameplay.
Writing all the convos takes us a lot of time so, for now only basecamp chapters 2-3-5 'convos are done.

Also, we added map battle animations (thanks to Vesly and 7743), we made a few custom of them for thunder, fire, wind, flux and nosferatu, they are free to use if someone is interested.

If someone wants to help us by copywriting/writing the last convos, it would be much appreciated.

As always, if you find a bug, we are always ready to fix your save file.

On 12/8/2021 at 9:05 PM, animefreak12 said:

This is amazing! I love base convo sections because it really lets some units shine in the story without having to feel rushed to do them on a map and waste turns. How many base convos are there going to be by chance?

Hello. Chapter 2, 3 and 5 base convos are already in game. Chapter 9 will probably be added this month.
Planned are: 2,3,5,9,13,15,18; seven in total.
Sadly it takes us forever to write them, but sooner or later they should be done.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello,

I have been playing a number of Fire Emblem hacks these days, and I stumbled upon Inheritance recently. Consider this post something akin to a review. Though I have yet to finish the game, I'm at chapter 14.

I was surprised by the ambition and creativity behind the hack, and you have played  well on our expectations of Fire Emblem tropes. I was bit salty early on though, but I persevered. The use of large battlefields is interesting, though it takes me several hours to do a single map, and that's with me save scumming every turn to prevent deaths from making me restart from the beginning. I didn't finish the game yet, but it certainly captivated me.

However, I noticed a number of problems.

First, the grammar. I found a large number of mistakes in the main dialogue and that was painful. I once found "heir" written "hair". It felt like there was a dire need of a beta reader. On a wider scale, I think it would be important to add several scenes during the narrative time of the early chapters to better frame the story's context. You start early on by introducing a large cast and mentioning a large number of places, it would be good to have a geographical and hierarchical structure explained to put all of this Game of Thrones-like plot put together. For example, Bertram's strategist had the face of the strong bandit, but learning about him, he felt more like a legendary general. That and the Gabe and Gabba thing confused me.

Second, I have no idea how to get Brandon, who felt like he was recruitable but I didn't want to spend several hours testing stuff on a huge map trying to get a new character.

Third, I don't know how to make Andre level up quickly without spending all of my cash buying ballistae.

Fourth, and most importantly, the reason why I made this comment while I'm on chapter 14 Holy Emperor and not beyond is because I'm hard-locked. Farcino mages appeared, Dietwald's morph made them retreat using a hostage and a bunch of troops appeared while the big general hid in his castle. At the start of the next turn, Dietwald's pegasus morph appeared from the south, went above the castle, and after a line from Dietwald, the game either goes white or restart, and then I'm stuck in a loop of this event occurring again. There was also some kind of freeze or waiting period early on in the chapter but it didn't last.

I cannot continue the game if there is this bug going on. And due to the size of the map, I certainly don't want to spend hours making a different try to see if the game will crash again or not.

20 minutes ago, Nephenie said:

Hello,

I have been playing a number of Fire Emblem hacks these days, and I stumbled upon Inheritance recently. Consider this post something akin to a review. Though I have yet to finish the game, I'm at chapter 14.

I was surprised by the ambition and creativity behind the hack, and you have played  well on our expectations of Fire Emblem tropes. I was bit salty early on though, but I persevered. The use of large battlefields is interesting, though it takes me several hours to do a single map, and that's with me save scumming every turn to prevent deaths from making me restart from the beginning. I didn't finish the game yet, but it certainly captivated me.

However, I noticed a number of problems.

First, the grammar. I found a large number of mistakes in the main dialogue and that was painful. I once found "heir" written "hair". It felt like there was a dire need of a beta reader. On a wider scale, I think it would be important to add several scenes during the narrative time of the early chapters to better frame the story's context. You start early on by introducing a large cast and mentioning a large number of places, it would be good to have a geographical and hierarchical structure explained to put all of this Game of Thrones-like plot put together. For example, Bertram's strategist had the face of the strong bandit, but learning about him, he felt more like a legendary general. That and the Gabe and Gabba thing confused me.

Second, I have no idea how to get Brandon, who felt like he was recruitable but I didn't want to spend several hours testing stuff on a huge map trying to get a new character.

Third, I don't know how to make Andre level up quickly without spending all of my cash buying ballistae.

Fourth, and most importantly, the reason why I made this comment while I'm on chapter 14 Holy Emperor and not beyond is because I'm hard-locked. Farcino mages appeared, Dietwald's morph made them retreat using a hostage and a bunch of troops appeared while the big general hid in his castle. At the start of the next turn, Dietwald's pegasus morph appeared from the south, went above the castle, and after a line from Dietwald, the game either goes white or restart, and then I'm stuck in a loop of this event occurring again. There was also some kind of freeze or waiting period early on in the chapter but it didn't last.

I cannot continue the game if there is this bug going on. And due to the size of the map, I certainly don't want to spend hours making a different try to see if the game will crash again or not.

Hello, that bug is a common freeze that usually happens because of savestates. Try to load the game and restart the emulator instead of loading the savestate.
If this does not work, send the .sav here and I will fix it.

About the grammar, if someone is willing to help us by proofreading the game, we would be grateful.
For the recruitment, there is a txt in the download folder.

More scenes will be added in the form of base chapters.

I managed to get it working, thanks. I will continue playing.

I'm probably in a good spot to proofread the game. I will have to watch again the early text, but I can continue the game keeping a list of everything that sounds odd to me and try to fix it afterwards.

On 12/28/2021 at 2:19 PM, Nephenie said:

I managed to get it working, thanks. I will continue playing.

I'm probably in a good spot to proofread the game. I will have to watch again the early text, but I can continue the game keeping a list of everything that sounds odd to me and try to fix it afterwards.

Hey, thanks. Would you join the discord server for this? If you do, we'd create a room for you to drop all your corrections/suggestions, discuss them, and answer any question you have.

• 4 weeks later...

Update.

A few minor issues are fixed and some small balance changes have been made.

Our new friend Nicolas Birbeau helped us by proofreading the whole game, the writing in the prologue (up to chapter 8) has been updated.

Our main goal now is to complete and fix the writing, we will probably finish for the end of March.

When this is done, we will tell you more about what we plan next.

Edited by Gorgonath

• 4 weeks later...

I'm telling you as a player who can get over Fire emblem Thracia without deaths and without using savestates: even in normal mode, this is the most difficult game I've ever played. I loved the story and I wish you made a sequel (or a totally different and original game) after this because I'll definitely be playing it.

7 hours ago, Lewyn Collins said:

I'm telling you as a player who can get over Fire emblem Thracia without deaths and without using savestates: even in normal mode, this is the most difficult game I've ever played. I loved the story and I wish you made a sequel (or a totally different and original game) after this because I'll definitely be playing it.

Thank you, we're glad to hear that you enjoyed the game, many hate it precisely because of the difficulty so it's especially nice that someone appreciates it.
Also we recently started working on the sequel.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello.
We've been very busy recently so we haven't released any updates.
We are splitting our efforts between completing the base camps of Inheritance and setting up the sequel.

If you have completed the game in one of the newer versions, it would be helpful if you could send them to us, we need them to test the first chapters of the sequel.

If it wasn't clear already, the sequel will be another rom that will share the same save as Inheritance, in practice, a save to the ending of Inheritance will become a save to the first chapter of the sequel.
All characters of level less than or equal to 20 will be removed from the save while all characters above level 20 will be automatically leveled to level 25.

• 1 month later...

Update.
This update should mainly fix a large part of the various writing errors.
We remind you that the discord server is the perfect place to report any remaining writing errors and we also have the anonymous format to tell us what do you think about the game.

Also we dropped a new trailer for Fire Emblem Inheritance because why not.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, animefreak12 said:

How are the base camps coming along? Is this 100% yet? Been following since day 1 and can’t wait to enjoy it in its entirety when completed. 

Actually, we are not working on it at the moment.
We are working on the sequel and our plan is to release a big update of Inheritance when we have almost finished the sequel, this is because depending on the decisions we make in the sequel, we will update pieces of Inheritance (dialogues, portraits etc...).

The gameplay will remain unchanged, it is absolutely 100% complete and that is already enough for us to suggest you to play Inheritance now, the remaining base chapters will be dialogues that will contain worldbuilding information for the sequel... but of course before we write them we will have to be sure of what actually is in the sequel and that will still take quite some time.

We appreciate your interest in the project

On 6/6/2022 at 2:52 AM, Gorgonath said:

Actually, we are not working on it at the moment.
We are working on the sequel and our plan is to release a big update of Inheritance when we have almost finished the sequel, this is because depending on the decisions we make in the sequel, we will update pieces of Inheritance (dialogues, portraits etc...).

The gameplay will remain unchanged, it is absolutely 100% complete and that is already enough for us to suggest you to play Inheritance now, the remaining base chapters will be dialogues that will contain worldbuilding information for the sequel... but of course before we write them we will have to be sure of what actually is in the sequel and that will still take quite some time.

We appreciate your interest in the project

Ah, I gotcha. Thanks for that info. I’ll definitely start a playthrough since that’s the case. 

• 2 months later...

This time the update is big.

It comprises of mainly 3 things:
-Introduction of casual mode.
-Base camps of chapters 9 and 13.
-Bug fixes and balances.

Warning: for some reason we failed to install the Vesly Style modular minibox, while we try to fix that, we installed the Kaitou one for this version.
Sadly this means that the skills are not shown in the modular minibox in this version, we are sorry about that.

Things you probably don't care about:

Inheritance is close to total completion, therefore, we felt it was only fair to make the game more inclusive even for less competent players.
Even in casual mode, Inheritance is still a challenging game, and adding a game mode does not detract from those who want to enjoy the game in classic mode.

We would like to emphasize that this design choice is not an excuse for not balancing the game to the best of our ability; we always test the game without savestates and often in ironman mode.
When Inheritance was conceived, we mistakenly thought that the level of the average player in the community was far higher in terms of gameplay, so we created a difficulty level that certainly, given the comments, is not suitable for the vast majority of players.
We would like to make it clear that there is nothing wrong with abandoning Inheritance because of the overwhelming difficulty and that if this had been a commercial project, ours would have been a very serious mistake.
That said, we are grateful to all those who enjoyed the classic mode, but we feel it is right to be more inclusive when we can.

Soon (we are talking about at most two weeks) we will also release the base chapters 15 and 18 and this will mark the absolute completion of Inheritance, this however will obviously not mark the end of our support for the game.

With the next update we will also bring you news regarding our plans for a sequel.

If you have made it this far, thank you for reading. 

• 2 months later...
10 hours ago, TheSuzakuSeven00 said:

Hello! How fares the completion of this? Super excited to experience all the base chapters. 

Hello hello! We are sorry but in the last months we have been a bit demotivated and we made few progress, two base camps are still missing, they will come sooner or later.

• 2 weeks later...