[FE8] FE inheritance (COMPLETED rom hack)

Gorgonath

2 minutes ago, Vividerbruxte said:

Mnh I don't know, they are too much of a spoiler... also they are not as solid as the "main chapters" in my opinion.
Playing chapters 5 and 6 isolated may give the idea that the gameplay is like "make the prepromoted do everything" while it happens only in those two chapters.

2, 8, 8x and 9 are your safest bets then.

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

New update is live:

-We corrected a bugged drop in chapter 1.

-We did a bit of polishing of the dialogues in the first chapters.

-We added a new possible in-game dialogue in chapter 17

-Maddening has been tested until chapter 17x

New update is live:

-Mddening has been test till chapter 18

-we fixed some problems with some characters

Here are the charcaters

Spoiler

if you use Sheila, Wendy and/or Emily you should download this updateif you use Sheila, Wendy and/or Emily you should download this update

-Polishing to some dialogues

Edited by Gorgonath

@VividerbruxteI was lurking on FeU a few hours ago and saw your post. Since i don't have an account there, I hope you don't mind if i respond to it here 🙂

First, about Skill System

I actually agree with you here. Imo, FE without skills is quite...boring. It's skills that bring the needed Spice to the gameplay, so to say, and differentiate units in the same class from each other. GBA games already removed so much stuff coming from FE5, so it's hacks really need something to make the gameplay exciting and fun.

Thing is though, GBA UI isn't exactly skill system friendly. Although the minimug helps with that alot, thankfully. So i am with you on this one.

About Maps.

Imo, i don't think Map design/size is the problem per se, but the unit amount (both player and enemy alike) and information available.

Let's take a look at the map i am in atm

Spoiler

1zXvyVh.png

22 player units vs. 50 Enemy units. For alot of people that can be a bit too much.

Imo, the ideal amount of units for the player to control should be between 8 (early game) and 15 (late game). Otherwise it might lead to information overload and exhaustion.

It's why i tend to take longer breaks between chapters here, as 1 or 2 chapters absolutely exhaust me (last time i did chapters 12 and 12x) and leads me to taking a break. Sometimes i take a break in the chapter itself after a few turns and return a few days later. Even if it's fun, it's exhausting to control that amount of units.

There's also the matter of enemy reinforcements. While thankfully became alot better to manage after chapter 8 since player has the power to oppose them, more often than not you can't stop them from coming. Sometimes killing the officer is enough, other times even if you block the reinforcements they still come (example here: Chapter 12. Even if you park a unit on the castle enemy reinforcemets will still appear from it).

You also said that you didn't want the player to reset, but honestly, fielding so many units makes it very hard not to reset when you lose a unit, since you need almost every last one of them, especially if you put resources into them to train and become strong. Losing a unit is very hard to stomache.

There's also the fact that in GBA you can't mark a unit and keep it marked while you plan your moves, but that's not on you, that's on the engine.

There should be a fine balance between fun and exhaustion. And while the hack is fun and i am enjoying it, the exhaustion becomes kinda too much.

I honestly wanted to write this after i finish the hack, but going by my pace (which is 2 chapters every 2 weeks or so) and the post you posted on feu, i decided to write some of my thoughts out now^^

2 hours ago, Shrimperor said:

22 player units vs. 50 Enemy units. For alot of people that can be a bit too much.

Imo, the ideal amount of units for the player to control should be between 8 (early game) and 15 (late game). Otherwise it might lead to information overload and exhaustion.

You have to consider that yes, I put 50 units on map almost always, but each turn how many of those 50 unit will be "in your range"? 
Instead of placing 30 units and placing the reinforcements the other turns, I prefer to put everything  (I will put even more units if 50 wasn't the limit) and reduce the reinforcements.
Having them all placed on maps allows the player to plan his strategy better, because you know that "now you have to fight these 20 units" but in "4-5 turns those units will arrive, so I must be prepared to deal with them".

Chapter 12 is a survive chapter, you are not supposed to kill all of them, you can just save the green units and return to the spawn point, that's the safest strategy.

You also said that you didn't want the player to reset, but honestly, fielding so many units makes it very hard not to reset when you lose a unit, since you need almost every last one of them, especially if you put resources into them to train and become strong. Losing a unit is very hard to stomache.

Mnh you should be able to lose 1 unit per chapter and still be able to go on without too many problems, in chapter 12 you get 4 units that have the levels to compensate some of your potential losses.

I mean, if you lose a really good unit like Salem, you are going to reset for sure, but if you lose units like Rhod or Emily, you can go on without problems.

There should be a fine balance between fun and exhaustion. And while the hack is fun and i am enjoying it, the exhaustion becomes kinda too much.

Mnh I am conscious of this, playing with many units with this kind of gameplay it's really hard and yes, it can be exhaustive.
What I wanted the hack to be, was a challenge for good players of FE, and well... MAYBE I went a little overboard with that.
If you really find it too exhaustive, you can always change the difficulty to normal by holding SELECT when the chapter starts (you can change back to hard if you want later).

When I started making the hack, my first objective was to create something different, and make it work, I experimented a lot and some things of course didn't went really good,
also, this is of course my first work as a hack, many things were changed in the process like... originally I wanted the level cap to be 40-50, and I wanted the levels to not reset with
class changes, than I discovered that you can't go past level 31 in the GBA engine, and this lead to the weird level system the hack has today.

If I had to remake this, I would probably not go for 8-15 units but probably for a 12-20 and having the possibility I would also make more chapters.
As for units number, I would "trim" many mechanics but, as I said, this whole hack is a big experiment to try new things, and I think that it works pretty fine considering how much I experimented.

Also, I would reduce units if a "modern skill-system" was made, like if you could change skills at battle preparation.

As always, thank you for sharing your opinion, btw really, if you find it too stressful to play hard mode, you should change to normal, It should make the game a lot easier but not a complete joke.

Also, bad players that screams at skill bloating and other things that they give for granted like "maps must not be big" usually make me really salty.
No one actually said to me that "big maps are bad, your hack is bad", but usually people gives that for granted, so I wanted to speak about that argument.
I don't get how people can think that games that I played when I was 12 can still have enough complexity to be interesting now that we are... OLD.

But I will not go further in this, or I will start ranting. 

I really appreciated your comment and also, if you find it really to stressful, many chapters have "more phases", like chapter 12 can be divided in "when you have the magic power" and "when you don't have it", if I could do it, I would have probably given the player the possibility to save the game like in FE11-12 midchapter at those points, so, feel free to do a "legit savestate" if you need it.

Also I think I would have added "divine pulses" (like 2 or 3 in the longest chapters) if I could, but as always, I did what I was able to do.

Edited by Vividerbruxte

1 hour ago, Vividerbruxte said:

Chapter 12 is a survive chapter, you are not supposed to kill all of them, you can just save the green units and return to the spawn point, that's the safest strategy.

While true, i am of the opinion the player should be rewarded for something like that.

For Example in Radiant Dawn defense/survive maps usually end if you can defeat the boss in the given time, and you get a bonus out of it even. I am a big fan of something like that.

my first objective was to create something different

And it shows 😉

And honestly, it's the first i look for when getting into fan projects. I don't to play just another FE clone haha

Btw, have you thought about using a different engine for the sequel (afaik you're planning one, right?)? Since it seems you wanted to do more but are limited by the engine.

if you find it too stressful to play hard mode, you should change to normal

Maybe i should, but i am kinda a stubborn person when it comes to games xD

I will see hmm

55 minutes ago, Vividerbruxte said:

Also, bad players that screams at skill bloating and other things that they give for granted like "maps must not be big" usually make me really salty.
No one actually said to me that "big maps are bad, your hack is bad", but usually people gives that for granted, so I wanted to speak about that argument.
I don't get how people can think that games that I played when I was 12 can still have enough complexity to be interesting now that we are... OLD.

I don't think they are bad players per se, but they are "different". Alot of people grew up with simple GBAFE, and to them it's the pinnacle of FE gameplay, while for me peak FE gameplay is Conquest, which some people also accuse of skill bloat.

FE changes systems every few games, and it's fine that way, but you will find that everyone preferes a certain system, and hates another 😉

59 minutes ago, Vividerbruxte said:

many chapters have "more phases", like chapter 12 can be divided in "when you have the magic power" and "when you don't have it"

Speaking about that, i think it should be more obvious when such a transition happens. It kinda took me by surprise when great inspiration stopped (it wasn't really clear that it did stop) since i planned all my moves with it in mind. Thankfully i did have rewind enabled for such cases xD (and for major rng screwage haha)

14 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

rewarded for something like that.

Well, you get a lot more

14 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

Btw, have you thought about using a different engine for the sequel (afaik you're planning one, right?)? Since it seems you wanted to do more but are limited by the engine.

Not, it will be also on the GBA, since I want the saves to be compatible. My idea is to make the sequel as another ROM, but using as base the first game, so that by loading the saves of the first rom in the second, they should work and the player should be able to go on (and promote units at 3rd classes like RD).
In origin everything should have been on the same ROM, but a GBA ROM can't go past 32MB, so it was impossible to make "all in one". 

As plot, the second part would be after a time skip of 3-4 years from the first, so I also plan to change every character portrait, and also, by changing the rom I can also change their growts, like: "This guy is grown up so now he has less spd growts but more str", and I can also change their personal skills and skill parameters to adapt them to the "bigger numbers".

(Also I plan to make it playable standalone without a save of the first part finished).
I am a madman, I will never learn ASM, but I really love seeing how much the GBA engine can be pushed, making "crazy" chapters like 12 was really funny.

I don't think I will ever use other engines, making the second part will take 1-2 years from now... Only God knows what will be added to FEBuilder in that time.
Like, right now it would be really easy to make the event of "great inspiration" as a command, when I made it, instead, it was impossible without learning ASM.

Also, if I had to use another engine, I would make a proper game and not an hack, but I'm not interested in becoming a game developer so I think it would never happen. 

29 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

I don't think they are bad players per se, but they are "different". Alot of people grew up with simple GBAFE, and to them it's the pinnacle of FE gameplay, while for me peak FE gameplay is Conquest, which some people also accuse of skill bloat.

FE changes systems every few games, and it's fine that way, but you will find that everyone preferes a certain system, and hates anothe

It's normal to have preferences but not seeing the clear limits of a game, is simply blindness in my opinion. 
I say this while my favorite FE is FE6 but well... I can't stand people that don't want things to evolve.

39 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

Speaking about that, i think it should be more obvious when such a transition happens. It kinda took me by surprise when great inspiration stopped (it wasn't really clear that it did stop) since i planned all my moves with it in mind. Thankfully i did have rewind enabled for such cases xD (and for major rng screwage haha)

Mnh... maybe we should add a line where Claire states it clearly.

30 minutes ago, Vividerbruxte said:

Not, it will be also on the GBA, since I want the saves to be compatible. My idea is to make the sequel as another ROM, but using as base the first game, so that by loading the saves of the first rom in the second, they should work and the player should be able to go on (and promote units at 3rd classes like RD).
In origin everything should have been on the same ROM, but a GBA ROM can't go past 32MB, so it was impossible to make "all in one". 

As plot, the second part would be after a time skip of 3-4 years from the first, so I also plan to change every character portrait, and also, by changing the rom I can also change their growts, like: "This guy is grown up so now he has less spd growts but more str", and I can also change their personal skills and skill parameters to adapt them to the "bigger numbers".

i see

Good luck with your plans!

31 minutes ago, Vividerbruxte said:

It's normal to have preferences but not seeing the clear limits of a game, is simply blindness in my opinion. 
I say this while my favorite FE is FE6 but well... I can't stand people that don't want things to evolve.

It's normal with a series like FE that has ''different gameplay types'' so to say.

I am a fan Conquest, Tellius, FE5 and 3H for example, while not being big on GBA and DS.

I try to look for something new & fresh in fanprojects, other people might prefer something similiar instead.

It's all about one's taste 😉

In these days I am working on the merchant, in particular, I decided to give him the ability to:

Place Ballista, buy weapons, repair weapons and call for reinforcements.
I can give him 2 more skills like these, If you have ideas, please suggest.

I still have to implement the repair weapons event… I am at a good point but I think I will finish tomorrow, so, I plan to release the patch including this merchant rework tomorrow.

Here more details about how it works:

Spoiler

Every action cost money, the merchant will also gain exp for executing any of his abilities.
Like, he will take 50-level exp for placing a standard balista.

The number of balista he can place is not limited, but well money is.
He will not be able to repair tomes and magic weapons, but I think that I will give that ability to Sheila, since… she is bad, and it will give you a real reason to use her (maybe, making the cost of repairs changing based on her stats).

The “buy weapons” is a mini shop where you can buy steel weapons and the restore staff if you fucked up the battle preparation.

Reinforcements will be like 2-3 green units charging the enemies, I thought that maybe I can give him another ability to change the AI of the green units called like in RD.

1.PNG.eebb1dd8cfe90f3b086fb9cfbccaafa3.PNG
2.PNG.1258a17363b47fd28adf5b6a2f3349c5.PNG

5 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

Oh i like this alot!

Will make me actually deploy the guy xD

But aren't the items a bit too expensive (especially the reinforcements)? Some fine tuning might be needed

Also MAYBE single units danger area like modern games might be coming.

The MERCHANT PATCH is out people:

We did some balancing for this patch, but the main new things are the new abilities the merchant has: the merchant now has the ability to position ballistae, buy and repaire weapons, all of this through paying money (these actions should give the mercant XPs). We didn't add yet the ability to call for reinforcement since it is something that needs a little bit more of thinking.

Obviously it's very likely there will be bugs and things to fix, so if you want to download the new patch, do a backup first. If you see something weird, please report it to us.

A special thanks to 7743 and Vesly for helping out Vivider with FEBuilder patches and with making the events work.

New update:

-We tested Maddening mode up to chapter 19

-We inserted a dialogue in chapter 9 to give an explanation of the new merchant's abilities.

If you haven't got to chapter 9 yet, then you should update, otherwise you could wait for the next patch.

-We reworked the pegasus knights' portraits, thanks to the help of our new  official spriter, Airavat, cheers!

New update: 

-the whole maddening has been tested and all the problems we encountered solved

There might still be some problems since we played it only once, so in case please report to us.

From now we'll start working on 1.1.0 version.

Hey people, we wanted to bring this up since we recieved some feedback about this:

We want to point out this hack shouls be considered suitable for +17 players/M rating. There's blood in this hack and even something more we added recently. In the near future, with the 1.1.0 version we'll also release a +13 version foe people who might be more sensitive or might feel this as out of place.

The reason why we did this is mainly to make the player empathize and "feel bad" for the units who die.
We'll release the pg 13 version as soon as we can.

We encountered a problem where promoted classes take lower weapon ranks than we wanted (some that should have C have D instead), we'll solve this problem with the next patch.

We also had another problem and for this reason the version without minimug is not downloadable right now, I'm sorry but for now we can't add it back in, we'll do it in a couple of days.

New update downloadable:

-problem with promoted classes weapons level solved

-some other minor bugs solved

-the sensitive content previously added has been temporarily removed

-we now added back the version without minimug, sorry for the inconvenience